LTH Home

Bean Pie: Iconic African-American-Islamic dessert

Bean Pie: Iconic African-American-Islamic dessert
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Bean Pie: Iconic African-American-Islamic dessert

- May 10th, 2009, 3:39 pm
    - May 10th, 2009, 3:39 pm Post #1 - May 10th, 2009, 3:39 pm
    This has been a busy day for me in the kitchen. I noticed this discussion for the first time last week, and what I read prompted me to gather the ingredients to make a couple of the Navy Bean Pies. I whipped-up a batch of coconut saffron ice cream and because the oven was on and at the right temperature after finishing the pies, I made some macaroons.

After searching the internet for navy bean pie recipes I selected one posted at http://www.recipezaar.com - Navy Bean Pie (Muslim) - Recipe #184372. Though I've never tasted the bean pie before now, I wanted to replicate the Supreme pies . . . that was the goal. My only deviation from the recipe was when I added some butter - a "tip" I saw posted in reader comments or at another recipe site.

I'm pleased with the outcome, though I have no prior experience eating/preparing such pies. The consistency is smooth and the seasonings there without being strong - and I doubt anyone not knowing navy beans were the principal ingredient would guess they're there.

I'm taking one of the pies into the office for co-workers and I expect some feedback - good or bad. Thanks to those of you who wrote previously which prompted me to undertake today's exercise.

The macaroons turned-out excellently, and the coconut/saffron ice cream is unique, rich and very different from many of the ice creams I've made previously.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more