LTH Home

Bean Pie: Iconic African-American-Islamic dessert

Bean Pie: Iconic African-American-Islamic dessert
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Bean Pie: Iconic African-American-Islamic dessert

- May 11th, 2009, 1:57 pm
    - May 11th, 2009, 1:57 pm Post #1 - May 11th, 2009, 1:57 pm
    Bill wrote:Well, the verdict is in: my co-workers weren't in an experimenting mood today, and, for the most part they avoided the pie. They'd circle the pie giving it a suspicious eye . . . then leave the room (small kitchen in the office) empty handed. 1/2 a pie was all that was eaten by 2:30 p.m., compared to 100% of most other pie's (and cakes) I bring into the office and which disappear by 9:30 a.m. The people who did try the pie said they liked it, but I could see on their faces, and hear in their carefully chosen words it's not something they'd make on their own . . . or purchase when out and about. Though, had I not taped a note to the pie plate explaining what it was, I suspect the pie would have been consumed quickly.

I have witnessed similar reactions. I did a talk in February where the pie tasting was in advance of the talk. One lady demanded to know the ingredients in advance, I tried to defer suggesting an explanation in my talk. Once the beans were spilled on what it was, there was less enthusiasm.

We have to remember that members of the tribe are far more willing to try unique foods than the remaining 80% of the population.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more