LTH Home

Unfrosted Blueberry Pop Tarts

Unfrosted Blueberry Pop Tarts
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Unfrosted Blueberry Pop Tarts

Post #1 - June 29th, 2009, 1:37 pm
    Post #1 - June 29th, 2009, 1:37 pm Post #1 - June 29th, 2009, 1:37 pm
    I know it is a peculiar request but I can't find these in Chicago. I see they are available online through Amazon but I don't need an entire case of them.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #2 - June 29th, 2009, 1:56 pm
    Post #2 - June 29th, 2009, 1:56 pm Post #2 - June 29th, 2009, 1:56 pm
    I have no actual intel on the subject, but simply because it's a peculiar request, I'll be on the lookout now. Care to share any background on this request? You certainly don't have to, and I would definitely respect your privacy, but come on, inquiring minds...
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #3 - June 29th, 2009, 2:27 pm
    Post #3 - June 29th, 2009, 2:27 pm Post #3 - June 29th, 2009, 2:27 pm
    seebee wrote:I have no actual intel on the subject, but simply because it's a peculiar request, I'll be on the lookout now. Care to share any background on this request? You certainly don't have to, and I would definitely respect your privacy, but come on, inquiring minds...

I am going to conjecture based on pairs4life's other postings hereabouts that there is an animal byproduct in the frosting.
  • Post #4 - June 29th, 2009, 3:14 pm
    Post #4 - June 29th, 2009, 3:14 pm Post #4 - June 29th, 2009, 3:14 pm
    Matt wrote:
    seebee wrote:I have no actual intel on the subject, but simply because it's a peculiar request, I'll be on the lookout now. Care to share any background on this request? You certainly don't have to, and I would definitely respect your privacy, but come on, inquiring minds...

I am going to conjecture based on pairs4life's other postings hereabouts that there is an animal byproduct in the frosting.

Matt gets a prize. There's gelatin(I don't even think it is Kosher) in the frosted Pop tarts. The health food and store-brand knock-offs suck. That said, even when I was a lobster & chitlin' eating youngster I preferred blueberry unfrosted pop tarts to the frosted kind.

Seebee- A few times a year I want a perfect PB & Jam on White bread. Once or twice a year I want Sugar Pops (not PC Corn Pops) with whole milk (I prefer Traders Point Creamery since it is Organic + there is cream on top and it tastes really, really sweet ).

The unfrosted blueberry pop tarts are the same. Once in a while nothing else does the trick.

Thanks,
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

• Post #5 - June 29th, 2009, 3:26 pm
    Post #5 - June 29th, 2009, 3:26 pm Post #5 - June 29th, 2009, 3:26 pm
    Since it's a kosher issue as well as a vegetarian one, you might try calling the little kosher grocery stores on the northshore:

Hungarian Kosher Foods‎
    4020 Oakton St, Skokie, IL‎ - (847) 674-8008‎

I think Happy Foods and Village Market also stock kosher items:

Village Market Place‎
    4034 Dempster St, Skokie, IL‎ - (847) 933-0900‎

Happy Foods‎ 4 reviews
    4616 Oakton St, Skokie, IL‎ - (847) 679-1661‎
  • Post #6 - June 29th, 2009, 7:24 pm
    Post #6 - June 29th, 2009, 7:24 pm Post #6 - June 29th, 2009, 7:24 pm
    I def. prefer the unfrosted pop tarts. You used to be able to get several flavors, now it's only strawberry I see. But I'd go in on a few boxes if we had to get a case... I think it takes them a few years to go bad.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #7 - June 29th, 2009, 7:31 pm
    Post #7 - June 29th, 2009, 7:31 pm Post #7 - June 29th, 2009, 7:31 pm
    leek wrote:I def. prefer the unfrosted pop tarts. You used to be able to get several flavors, now it's only strawberry I see. But I'd go in on a few boxes if we had to get a case... I think it takes them a few years to go bad.

It's 12 to a case for $30 at Amazon. I don't need more than 3 or 4. Let's see if we can get one more, if there is no local solution and then we can make this happen.

Thanks,

• Post #8 - June 29th, 2009, 9:00 pm
    Post #8 - June 29th, 2009, 9:00 pm Post #8 - June 29th, 2009, 9:00 pm
    Hi,

I have seen several discussions on blogs and other websites of people making their own poptarts. That might be fun to do and you control what goes into them, if that is important to you.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #9 - June 30th, 2009, 4:48 am
    Post #9 - June 30th, 2009, 4:48 am Post #9 - June 30th, 2009, 4:48 am
    I'm more of a frosted strawberry gal, but I know what it's like to crave Pop Tarts. I'd go in on a case of unfrosted blueberry.
  • Post #10 - June 30th, 2009, 7:39 am
    Post #10 - June 30th, 2009, 7:39 am Post #10 - June 30th, 2009, 7:39 am
    I bought a box of blueberry unfrosted pop tarts for my daughter a few weeks ago. I don't specifically remember where I got them, but based on my shopping habits, it was probably either Lincolnwood Produce or the Target on Peterson. Maybe the (extra crappy) Dominicks at Lincoln and Berwyn.
  • Post #11 - June 30th, 2009, 7:57 am
    Post #11 - June 30th, 2009, 7:57 am Post #11 - June 30th, 2009, 7:57 am
    leek wrote:I think it takes them a few years to go bad.

eli wrote:Maybe the (extra crappy) Dominicks at Lincoln and Berwyn.

Considering my experience with that particular Dominicks, they may have been there long enough to go bad...
    Ronnie said I should probably tell you guys about my website so

Hey I have a website.
    http://www.sandwichtribunal.com
  • Post #12 - June 30th, 2009, 8:21 am
    Post #12 - June 30th, 2009, 8:21 am Post #12 - June 30th, 2009, 8:21 am
    Y'know, it's funny - I hate all things toaster-pastry, but I just realized in reading this thread that I didn't mind the unfrosted ones back in the day. Not so much that I'm interested in going in on a box or hunting them down (other than that I like hunting,) but it is an interesting comment on "less is more."
  • Post #13 - June 30th, 2009, 6:01 pm
    Post #13 - June 30th, 2009, 6:01 pm Post #13 - June 30th, 2009, 6:01 pm
    Two days, two dif stores. No non frosted blue, BUT, I did see raspberry which I've never seen before. I must be way outta the pop tart loop, huh? I'm on my way up to the u.p. tomorrow. I'll continue my leisurely hunt thru Wisconsin up to Michigan. If I find some, I'll post.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #14 - June 30th, 2009, 6:12 pm
    Post #14 - June 30th, 2009, 6:12 pm Post #14 - June 30th, 2009, 6:12 pm
    seebee wrote:Two days, two dif stores. No non frosted blue, BUT, I did see raspberry which I've never seen before. I must be way outta the pop tart loop, huh? I'm on my way up to the u.p. tomorrow. I'll continue my leisurely hunt thru Wisconsin up to Michigan. If I find some, I'll post.

RASPBERRY! Where????? ANY unfrosted, man!!!
    Leek

American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #15 - June 30th, 2009, 9:13 pm
    Post #15 - June 30th, 2009, 9:13 pm Post #15 - June 30th, 2009, 9:13 pm
    Sorry, these raspberry p-tarts were frosted.
  • Post #16 - June 30th, 2009, 9:59 pm
    Post #16 - June 30th, 2009, 9:59 pm Post #16 - June 30th, 2009, 9:59 pm
    Oh, boy. I can totally see myself getting obsessed with this search. :)

I had high hopes that I'd be able to report an unfrosted blueberry Pop Tart find at my usually-reliable source for harder to find favorite breakfast items--D & D Foods in Evanston. D & D amuses me because only there, a mere 5-minute walk from my office, can I find: New York Bagels & Bialys bagels, Quisp, 3 kinds of Familia muesli, Weetabix and Cascadian Farm's dark chocolate almond granola (this last item is the real find--tasted it once as a sample at a race I ran, haven't been able to find it in any other Chicago-area store). I'm sad to report, while they carry a variety of Pop Tarts, D & D does not have unfrosted blueberry. I'll keep looking...

D & D Finer Foods
    825 Noyes St
    Evanston IL 60201
    847-475-4344
    Last edited by happy_stomach on June 30th, 2009, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #17 - June 30th, 2009, 10:13 pm
    Post #17 - June 30th, 2009, 10:13 pm Post #17 - June 30th, 2009, 10:13 pm
    happy_stomach wrote:Oh, boy. I can totally see myself getting obsessed with this search. :)

Me too! I was curious and went to their website to poke around. I checked out the store and saw CHERRY Poptarts...I'll admit, I'd try those once if I came across them.

I'll be in Central Illinois and all over Missouri over the weekend, I'll keep my eyes open for the elusive unfrosted Blueberry Poptart.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #18 - July 1st, 2009, 6:50 pm
    Post #18 - July 1st, 2009, 6:50 pm Post #18 - July 1st, 2009, 6:50 pm
    ANY unfrosted pop-tarts. ANY!!!
    Leek

• Post #19 - July 1st, 2009, 10:46 pm
    Post #19 - July 1st, 2009, 10:46 pm Post #19 - July 1st, 2009, 10:46 pm
    I am SO out of the loop on these things. Forget the frosted raspberry I found. I stopped at few gas stations between here and the shores of Lake Superior, and I saw Frosted Chocolate Fudge Sundae flavored?? WTF?? I'll pop into a few grocery stores up here tomorrow.
  • Post #20 - July 2nd, 2009, 7:51 am
    Post #20 - July 2nd, 2009, 7:51 am Post #20 - July 2nd, 2009, 7:51 am
    seebee wrote:... I saw Frosted Chocolate Fudge Sundae flavored?? WTF??

Personally, I only go for the Unfrosted Chocolate Fudge Sundae flavor...

-Dan
  • Post #21 - July 3rd, 2009, 7:44 am
    Post #21 - July 3rd, 2009, 7:44 am Post #21 - July 3rd, 2009, 7:44 am
    Dan, there did used to be an unfrosted Chocolate something. Probably before you were born ;)
    Leek

• Post #22 - July 3rd, 2009, 8:00 am
    Post #22 - July 3rd, 2009, 8:00 am Post #22 - July 3rd, 2009, 8:00 am
    :lol:
  • Post #23 - July 3rd, 2009, 8:02 am
    Post #23 - July 3rd, 2009, 8:02 am Post #23 - July 3rd, 2009, 8:02 am
    Foiled at the Marquette, Michigan Target. I'm gonna try the <shudder> Walmart today. Also, have yet to get to get into the grocery stores up here, but I will.

P.s. Raspberry frosted - waaaaaay too sweet for me. Although I had to eat two to figure it out.
    :oops:
  • Post #24 - July 4th, 2009, 1:59 am
    Post #24 - July 4th, 2009, 1:59 am Post #24 - July 4th, 2009, 1:59 am
    Wow, takes me back to my childhood. As much as I love frosting, there was no contest...the unfrosted blueberry Pop Tarts were my breakfast of choice. What is interesting is that although finding unfrosted blueberry PTs are a definite hit or miss here in SoCal (miss about 90% of the time), many places do carry unfrosted strawberry flavor.
    Bob in RSM, CA...yes, I know, it's a long way from Chicago
  • Post #25 - July 4th, 2009, 7:42 am
    Post #25 - July 4th, 2009, 7:42 am Post #25 - July 4th, 2009, 7:42 am
    Looks like you can buy less than a case from Hard to Find Grocers

I've bought stuff from them in the past and they're very good.
  • Post #26 - July 5th, 2009, 5:43 am
    Post #26 - July 5th, 2009, 5:43 am Post #26 - July 5th, 2009, 5:43 am
    jersette wrote:Looks like you can buy less than a case from Hard to Find Grocers

I've bought stuff from them in the past and they're very good.

You rock! Since I had a deadline I've been eating house-made food, if any, so my scale is happy. I'm definitely going to order 2 boxes from this site. But I love the Treasure Hunt vibe this thread has taken so I would still like to know if I can buy unfrosted pop tarts at a brick and mortar local. Has Kellog found this thread yet? Maybe they could just put the darn things back in the So. Cal & Chicagoland stores, oh yeah and bring back my beloved cereal to place on top of yogurt and fruit-- Apple Raisin Crisp :( .

I tend to eat Pop Tarts the same way I eat Sugar Pops(I hate the PC change to Corn Pops), the finishing of a meal, a/k/a dessert.

• Post #27 - July 6th, 2009, 3:02 pm
    Post #27 - July 6th, 2009, 3:02 pm Post #27 - July 6th, 2009, 3:02 pm
    Did you try this page on the Kellog website? You can type in your zip and they list stores that carry the product (apparently the Target on Peterson is the place closest to me that has them--per the website, I haven't checked).
  • Post #28 - July 6th, 2009, 4:55 pm
    Post #28 - July 6th, 2009, 4:55 pm Post #28 - July 6th, 2009, 4:55 pm
    Whoop!
    Leek

• Post #29 - July 6th, 2009, 10:36 pm
    Post #29 - July 6th, 2009, 10:36 pm Post #29 - July 6th, 2009, 10:36 pm
    Hi,

I made pop tarts for the 5th LTHforum Dessert Exchange. I will likely make these again, I am explaining where the ideas and recipes came from.

The first time I heard of anyone making pop tarts came from the idle chatter of a facebook "friend." I assumed few to nobody made their own pop tarts.

The dough came from an e-gullet discussion, which my facebook "friend" made:

Pop-Tart Dough

13 oz Unsalted Butter at room temp
    1/3 C. &amp; 1 T. (110 g) Milk at room temp
    1 Yolk at room temp
    1 t. (6 g)Sugar
    1 t. (6 g) Salt
    3 1/2 C. (645 g) AP Flour

In a food processor bowl, add butter, milk, yolk, sugar and salt. Pulse until roughly blended. Add to the bowl the flour, then pulse until it just starts to come together. Form into a uniform rectangle shaped 4x3 inches. Wrap in plastic wrap, chill at least 3 hours. You can then slice off 1/3-1/2 inch thick slices to gently roll out to 6x8 inches or whatever size you prefer.

For shaping, rolling, filling and sealing, I found a quick read and pictures at Chez Pim useful for ideas. I was originally planning to make the brown sugar filling. I changed my mind when I realized my homemade raspberry-peach jam called Blush from the Farm Journal Canning and Freezing book was an ideal substitution. I thought if I was making homemade, then I may as well avoid recreating a popular pop tart flavor. As I finished each pop tart, I put them in the refrigerator to chill as I made the next. This dough is so loaded with butter, it is best to minimize handling to avoid your hands warming it.

I didn't use eggwhite for the pop tart's glaze. Instead, I used my favorite pie crust trick: spread with milk, then dust with sugar.

In a 400 degree oven, I baked the pop tarts on a parchment paper lined heavy cookie sheet. After 15 minutes, I kept an eye on them until they were golden brown.

I got the impression people liked them when they thought pop tarts didn't adequately describe them. I have no idea what a better name may be, I was just glad the outcome was good enough to do again.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #30 - July 7th, 2009, 7:23 pm
    Post #30 - July 7th, 2009, 7:23 pm Post #30 - July 7th, 2009, 7:23 pm
    I might be missing something here about an ingredient, but I saw an hour ago at the Jewel Urban Fresh on Clybourn unfrosted blueberry toaster tarts. Health Valley Organic, Toaster Tarts Blueberry, they had strawberry too. (it must be Kellogg Brand?)Also, I looked at the frosted ones at Trader Joe's and they didn't have any animal fat or gelatin that I could see, but I admit, I took a very quick look. Maybe you've tried these brands and they suck?

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more