LTH Home

Pepperoni on Sunday

Pepperoni on Sunday
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Pepperoni on Sunday

Post #1 - November 15th, 2009, 8:28 am
    Post #1 - November 15th, 2009, 8:28 am Post #1 - November 15th, 2009, 8:28 am
    I am making pizza tonight and looking for a source for some good pepperoni. I love the stuff from Paulina. I normally go there but couldn't make it yesterday and they are closed on Sunday. So, any ideas?
  • Post #2 - November 15th, 2009, 10:39 am
    Post #2 - November 15th, 2009, 10:39 am Post #2 - November 15th, 2009, 10:39 am
    Bari has very good quality pepperoni.You may want to call ahead, but I but I believe they're open until 1:00pm on Sunday.

:twisted:
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #3 - November 15th, 2009, 10:55 am
    Post #3 - November 15th, 2009, 10:55 am Post #3 - November 15th, 2009, 10:55 am
    Thanks, I will try Bari another day when I have more time. I forgot to mention that I am live in Lakeview and probably wouldn't go somewhere south of North Ave or north of Irving Park.
  • Post #4 - November 16th, 2009, 2:01 pm
    Post #4 - November 16th, 2009, 2:01 pm Post #4 - November 16th, 2009, 2:01 pm
    Paulina is our go-to as well, but I've made do with Boar's Head when I can only get to TI and it does OK. Sliced a little thick it has a bit of heat and a nice meaty chew, not all fat. The spicing is not the classic commercial pepperoni pizza taste profile, but that could be a positive depending on your preference.
    "Strange how potent cheap music is."
  • Post #5 - November 16th, 2009, 3:45 pm
    Post #5 - November 16th, 2009, 3:45 pm Post #5 - November 16th, 2009, 3:45 pm
    itshissong wrote:Thanks, I will try Bari another day when I have more time. I forgot to mention that I am live in Lakeview and probably wouldn't go somewhere south of North Ave or north of Irving Park.

There's always Hormel at the Jewel, if you don't want to travel.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #6 - January 29th, 2018, 11:44 am
    Post #6 - January 29th, 2018, 11:44 am Post #6 - January 29th, 2018, 11:44 am
    Hi,

I am making pepperoni pizza. I was wondering if people had additional thoughts on what is good?

Kenji from SeriousEats recommends using a good quality natural casing pepperoni with Boars Head as a contender.

Is a good salami a solid contender for pepperoni?

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #7 - January 29th, 2018, 1:29 pm
    Post #7 - January 29th, 2018, 1:29 pm Post #7 - January 29th, 2018, 1:29 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

Is a good salami a solid contender for pepperoni?

Salami isn't pepperoni, but is good in its own rite.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #8 - January 30th, 2018, 7:42 am
    Post #8 - January 30th, 2018, 7:42 am Post #8 - January 30th, 2018, 7:42 am
    Hi,

Stopped last night at Mariano's in Bannockburn. I stopped at the deli counter to learn they have two pepperonis available: one visible in the case was maybe two-inches in diameter.

Behind the case available by asking were natural casing pepperoni sticks about 1 inch diameter weighing about half pound each. A small sample indicated this was a nice peppery pepperoni.

The guys who helped did not know who made the pepperoni sticks. At approximately $6.69 per pound, it was worthy of a risk.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #9 - January 30th, 2018, 8:22 am
    Post #9 - January 30th, 2018, 8:22 am Post #9 - January 30th, 2018, 8:22 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Stopped last night at Mariano's in Bannockburn. I stopped at the deli counter to learn they have two pepperonis available: one visible in the case was maybe two-inches in diameter.

Behind the case available by asking were natural casing pepperoni sticks about 1 inch diameter weighing about half pound each. A small sample indicated this was a nice peppery pepperoni.

The Glenview West Marianos wasn't willing to slice any of the "stick"-style pepperoni, disappointingly.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #10 - January 30th, 2018, 1:04 pm
    Post #10 - January 30th, 2018, 1:04 pm Post #10 - January 30th, 2018, 1:04 pm
    JoelF wrote:The Glenview West Marianos wasn't willing to slice any of the "stick"-style pepperoni, disappointingly.

Hi,

I had some hesitation when I asked for 1/8 inch thickness. He brought a colleague from the back area to hand slice it.

They were nice enough about it, though I guess I was lucky this time.

I don't mind hand slicing, so next time I will do it myself.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #11 - January 30th, 2018, 2:14 pm
    Post #11 - January 30th, 2018, 2:14 pm Post #11 - January 30th, 2018, 2:14 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    JoelF wrote:The Glenview West Marianos wasn't willing to slice any of the "stick"-style pepperoni, disappointingly.

Hi,

I had some hesitation when I asked for 1/8 inch thickness. He brought a colleague from the back area to hand slice it.

They were nice enough about it, though I guess I was lucky this time.

I don't mind hand slicing, so next time I will do it myself.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Use your food processor or a mandolin.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #12 - April 12th, 2018, 2:09 pm
    Post #12 - April 12th, 2018, 2:09 pm Post #12 - April 12th, 2018, 2:09 pm
    Hi,

Mariano's has discontinued offering the stick pepperoni at the deli case. The manager has had a few customers asking for the same. He advised contacting Mariano's directly, because they would likely not listen to him.

At Garden Fresh in Mundelein, they had the Boar's Head stick pepperoni at $3.49 for just over six ounces.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #13 - April 13th, 2018, 9:00 am
    Post #13 - April 13th, 2018, 9:00 am Post #13 - April 13th, 2018, 9:00 am
    Mariano's contact info is found on https://www.marianos.com/topic/need-ass ... contact-us

(just submitted my own request for a few items I want!)
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #14 - April 13th, 2018, 9:55 am
    Post #14 - April 13th, 2018, 9:55 am Post #14 - April 13th, 2018, 9:55 am

Mariano's has discontinued offering the stick pepperoni at the deli case. The manager has had a few customers asking for the same. He advised contacting Mariano's directly, because they would likely not listen to him.

At Garden Fresh in Mundelein, they had the Boar's Head stick pepperoni at $3.49 for just over six ounces.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Have you checked Fresh Farms?
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #15 - April 13th, 2018, 12:58 pm
    Post #15 - April 13th, 2018, 12:58 pm Post #15 - April 13th, 2018, 12:58 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Have you checked Fresh Farms?

That store is not very convenient for me.

From past experience, I was at Garden Fresh because they offer a broad range of phyllo dough. While there I checked on pepperoni. Kenji happens to favor Boars Head. There is a lot of inferior pepperoni out there.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #16 - April 13th, 2018, 1:12 pm
    Post #16 - April 13th, 2018, 1:12 pm Post #16 - April 13th, 2018, 1:12 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:Have you checked Fresh Farms?

That store is not very convenient for me.

From past experience, I was at Garden Fresh because they offer a broad range of phyllo dough. While there I checked on pepperoni. Kenji happens to favor Boars Head. There is a lot of inferior pepperoni out there.

Regards,
    Cathy2

If you find yourself near Fresh Farms, they do have a pretty extensive Boars Head selection.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #17 - April 13th, 2018, 4:06 pm
    Post #17 - April 13th, 2018, 4:06 pm Post #17 - April 13th, 2018, 4:06 pm

Regards,
    Cathy2

When I was at Cermak Fresh Market at 6623 Damen earlier in the week I saw pre-sliced Boars Head pepperoni, next time i'm in I'll check if they have the stick pepperoni.
    Cookingblahg.blogspot.com
  • Post #18 - April 13th, 2018, 7:07 pm
    Post #18 - April 13th, 2018, 7:07 pm Post #18 - April 13th, 2018, 7:07 pm
    I went on their site to see if they had a store finder. They had a 1-800 number to call up, and so I called up Boar's Head, and the woman asked for my zip code, and told me that Sunset in Glenview had their product, and someplace in Des Plaines had it. I know there is no Sunset in Glenview. She then said she will get in touch with the sales rep from this area, and asked him for my phone number. He called me up about an hour later. I told him that I was really looking for a friend of mine that lives in Highland Park. He said that both Sunset and Treasure Island carry their product. I don't know if they carry the stick pepperoni though. You might as well check the Sunset in Highland Park at least. I wonder if any of the other Mariano's carries it like the Northbrook store, or if they all dropped it. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #19 - April 13th, 2018, 8:31 pm
    Post #19 - April 13th, 2018, 8:31 pm Post #19 - April 13th, 2018, 8:31 pm
    Thanks Nancy for going to such lengths. I will certainly check Sunset Foods.

What Mariano's carriedw was an unknown brand. Every time I inquired on the producer, I got a non-answer.

I will be using the Boars Head on Sunday. It will be interesting how people react to it. Swift's pepperoni is everywhere and just not all that great.

Again thank you for the extra effort.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #20 - April 16th, 2018, 12:53 pm
    Post #20 - April 16th, 2018, 12:53 pm Post #20 - April 16th, 2018, 12:53 pm
    Hi,

From the reactions of the people at the dessert exchange, the Boars Head natural casing stick pepperoni was worth the effort to obtain. Another plus, it is shelf stable until opened.

Hope someday to do a side-by-side with Mariano's offering, if it is ever available again.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #21 - April 16th, 2018, 8:53 pm
    Post #21 - April 16th, 2018, 8:53 pm Post #21 - April 16th, 2018, 8:53 pm
    Margherita Brand is probably the stick pepperoni you liked. It's my go-to and it's sold at a lot of the Italian deli's including Bari. Good quality, natural casing. Thought I bought it at a Pete's Fresh Market once. I have seen it individually sealed in plastic which I haven't tried and cannot vouch for though as long as it's fresh and not too close to it's expiration date it should be ok.
  • Post #22 - April 18th, 2018, 9:03 pm
    Post #22 - April 18th, 2018, 9:03 pm Post #22 - April 18th, 2018, 9:03 pm
    I checked Fresh Farms today. Surprisingly, the only unsliced "stick" pepperoni they carry is Hormel in a stick that's as large and wide as a kosher salami from Romanian.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #23 - April 19th, 2018, 8:16 am
    Post #23 - April 19th, 2018, 8:16 am Post #23 - April 19th, 2018, 8:16 am
    stevez wrote:I checked Fresh Farms today. Surprisingly, the only unsliced "stick" pepperoni they carry is Hormel in a stick that's as large and wide as a kosher salami from Romanian.

Yep. That's what the guy at Mariano's tried to guide me to. " we put it on all our pizzas." "Yeah, but not what I want on my pizza."

Thank you for checking on this.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #24 - April 22nd, 2018, 9:39 am
    Post #24 - April 22nd, 2018, 9:39 am Post #24 - April 22nd, 2018, 9:39 am
    As an fyi, Harvestime carries Boars Head full stick pepperoni and pre-sliced. I've tried both and the full stick is at least 10x as good with nice pepperoni flavor. For some reason, the pre-sliced is kind of bland and cooks up a little too dry for my liking.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more