LTH Home

What to do with 150 "truffles"?

What to do with 150 "truffles"?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • What to do with 150 "truffles"?

Post #1 - December 12th, 2009, 9:04 am
    Post #1 - December 12th, 2009, 9:04 am Post #1 - December 12th, 2009, 9:04 am
    A friend of mine is a photographer who regularly works for Vosges (Haut Chocolat), and yesterday she brought over a storage bin of truffles from her last catalogue shoot. She has more chocolate than she knows what to do with, so I am now the owner of 150, possibly more, truffles.

About 3/4 of the bin are "truffles," solid milk, dark and white chocolates made to look like truffles for the photo shoot. The other 1/4 are several varieties of the real deal. My friend's favorite thing to do with the Vosges chocolates is to melt them down and dip pretzels. Pretzels don't appeal to me, but I can certainly dip fruit and other goodies in the melted chocolate. Even the "truffles" are tasty enough to eat as is, but I figured even eating a realistic 4 truffles a day, it'd take me at least 38 days to empty the bin--perhaps for the likes of Pizza Boy, but for a mere mortal like me, not sustainable. What would you do with the truffles?
  • Post #2 - December 12th, 2009, 9:12 am
    Post #2 - December 12th, 2009, 9:12 am Post #2 - December 12th, 2009, 9:12 am
    Sharon. :)

Friend... :D

Dare I say, good friend? :lol:

Chanukah is here.

What are friends for but to help friends out of trouble? :shock:

(Freeze 'em--or donate 'em to a local shelter or place that may get donations of food but never gets a donation like that.)
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #3 - December 12th, 2009, 11:12 am
    Post #3 - December 12th, 2009, 11:12 am Post #3 - December 12th, 2009, 11:12 am
    Melt and temper a large quantity and then dip the top of a balloon in the chocolate and make bowls for a tasty dessert.
    A buddy (also a photographer) has some photos on his site that show the chocolate bowls.
    http://zackburris.com/
  • Post #4 - December 12th, 2009, 12:08 pm
    Post #4 - December 12th, 2009, 12:08 pm Post #4 - December 12th, 2009, 12:08 pm
    I don't know about donating them -- how would they be distributed, since they are not packaged properly. (I'm willing to bet there are laws about unpackaged foods.) So I'd suggest throwing a party and having other people bring the savory items, as you have dessert already.

Alternatively, you could put them on a large, disposable tray and take them to your local fire station as a gift for those who serve.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #5 - December 12th, 2009, 12:12 pm
    Post #5 - December 12th, 2009, 12:12 pm Post #5 - December 12th, 2009, 12:12 pm
    Back when I worked in a food photo studio, we found that none of the pantries or food banks would take any opened product no matter the quality...
  • Post #6 - December 12th, 2009, 1:38 pm
    Post #6 - December 12th, 2009, 1:38 pm Post #6 - December 12th, 2009, 1:38 pm
    Instant contribution for the Cookie Exchange ;)
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #7 - December 12th, 2009, 2:41 pm
    Post #7 - December 12th, 2009, 2:41 pm Post #7 - December 12th, 2009, 2:41 pm
    Oh no. When I saw this post I thought it was mushrooms you had in overabundance. :wink:
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #8 - December 13th, 2009, 7:24 am
    Post #8 - December 13th, 2009, 7:24 am Post #8 - December 13th, 2009, 7:24 am
    Thank you for all of the suggestions.

Cynthia wrote:I don't know about donating them -- how would they be distributed, since they are not packaged properly.

I thought of this as soon as I received the truffles. It is indeed an issue for a lot of organizations, but I will look into exceptions. I was actually able to "donate" truffles to two organizations I worked with yesterday. Some friends and I made a rather large cookie delivery to an organization that works with senior citizens. We chopped up for that two dozen of the milk chocolate "truffles" to make Raisinet-like oatmeal cookies. Later in the day at a human services organization for which I cook, I melted a dozen of the dark chocolate "truffles" to make sauce for zucchini bread. I also brought a large ziploc of the real truffles to feed the team of volunteers working with me. (Since I work with a new team of volunteers every month, I had to explain to the folks who helped me yesterday that we don't always have Vosges truffles to snack on in the kitchen.) In other words, there were a lot of happy people, and I may have cinched the volunteer-of-the-year award. :lol:

So I gave away about 4 dozen truffles yesterday, ate a half dozen last night...the bin looks as full as it did when I got it!

gastro gnome gave me the idea of making migas bark. I may try to make two spiced versions today using some of the dark and white "truffles" and puffed rice. I think I'll still have a lot of chocolate left...

leek wrote:Instant contribution for the Cookie Exchange ;)

Any cookie exchangers coming from the West Town area are welcome to stop by Chez happy_stomach and pick up a few dozen truffles. Seriously. :D
  • Post #9 - December 17th, 2009, 12:50 pm
    Post #9 - December 17th, 2009, 12:50 pm Post #9 - December 17th, 2009, 12:50 pm
    I've been known for pre-dawn bursts of productivity. When I moved to New York City for graduate school almost 10 years ago, a more advanced student in my program--a San Diegoan-turned-effete East Coast intellectual who'd have you believe he arrived in Manhattan with the Dutch given his claims to New York-ness--lectured me on how my early-morning ways were unbecoming. He explained, albeit poetically, how creative sophisticates kept the city abuzz, working long into the night, while the morning, he said, was for farmers. Call me Farmer Sharon any day.

Inspired by the recent peppermint bark query, I melted 5 dozen "truffles" yesterday to make bark for my office holiday potluck. My selection of embellishments was somewhat limited given that I recently depleted my dried fruit and nut supply making granola and didn't have time to go to the store for more. I set the chocolate last night and woke up early this morning to chop and package.

I ended up with:

Dark chocolate-almond-white sea salt
    Dark chocolate-Guatemalan cobanero pepper
    Dark chocolate-red Hawaiian sea salt

White chocolate-cranberry
    White chocolate-peppita-curry
    White chocolate-cherry

This morning I melted down another dozen "truffles" for dipping homemade marshmallows, which I then sprinkled with black lava sea salt.

Certainly not the most creative endeavor ever but a happy one. I can now count the remaining truffles: 67.

(There was more than 150.)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more