LTHForum Trip to Peru

Posted May 22nd 2010, 11:56am
Last night I made doro wat, which turned out great, but had some problems with the chicken. I picked up a chicken from Chicago Live Poultry at 6421 N Western Ave, a place I frequent every now and then. They guy asked me in Arabic whether I wanted a large or small chicken. I answered large.

They expertly skinned and chopped the chicken for me, giving me all the innards. I proceeded to make my doro wat by browning the chicken, then stewing for about an hour and a half. By that point most of the dark meat had started to fall off the bones, but the white meat was still in tact. Everything tasted great - the bird had great chicken flavor and was perfectly fresh, but the breast meat was tough. Really tough.

So two possible places I f'd up:

1) I didn't cook the chicken right. I was messing with the size of the flame, don't know if I browned it right, etc, didn't cook it long enough (even though the dark meat basically fell apart).

2) I bought an old bird. The word for large or big in Arabic is sometimes the same as for old. Maybe the Somali guy I was talking to just didn't get that I wanted a bigger, not older bird. And older birds are tougher, right?

Any thoughts? I love fresh killed chickens, I just need to work on preparing them properly. This has never happened to me with crap chicken I buy from wherever. And if I do end up with an older, tougher bird, what do I have to do to prepare it so that its tender and succulent?

"By the fig, the olive..." Surat Al-Teen, Mecca 95:1"
Posted May 22nd 2010, 12:05pm
How long after they killed the chicken did you take it off the bone (assuming you did)? I'm thinking rigor mortis...

Ed Fisher
my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
Posted May 22nd 2010, 12:14pm
I didn't take the meat off the bones, but I cooked with the chicken 45 minutes after it was killed.

Posted May 22nd 2010, 12:48pm
Don't take my word for this, but I'd try letting the chicken rest 4-6 hours (at least, maybe 12 hours+) after being killed before you start cooking it.

Ed Fisher
my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
Posted May 22nd 2010, 1:19pm
I remembered reading something about this in The Joy of Cooking, and went to look it up:

"That poultry served immediately after slaughtering is not a delicacy was brought home to me early when my father and I would go ... [ snip ... relating of unpleasant childhood memory ... snip]. The less said about that lunch the better. So we learned that quick cooling and hanging in a cool place from 8 to 24 hours will avoid stringiness and develop flavor."

"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
Posted May 22nd 2010, 8:06pm
I spent summers on my grandparemts' farm in OH. Often Sunday dinner was chicken, which had been killed in the morning (quite a sight, too). I don't recall it was anything other than tasty and tender, although that is viewed through a 50-year prism.
Posted May 23rd 2010, 6:26pm
The only thing I can think of is that white meat cooks faster than dark meat, so maybe if the dark meat was falling off the bone tender, then the breast meat was well over-cooked at that point.

Charter Member
Posted May 23rd 2010, 7:40pm
gleam wrote:Don't take my word for this, but I'd try letting the chicken rest 4-6 hours (at least, maybe 12 hours+) after being killed before you start cooking it.

I've been told the same thing. Certain muscles in fowl can experience a reaction similar to rigor mortis immediately after the slaughter. I've been told to let a bird rest at least 12 hours.

Best,
Michael

Edited to fix my dumb spelling mistake. I was drunk. I'm a good speller. Really.
Last edited by eatchicago on May 24th 2010, 7:00am, edited 1 time in total.
Posted May 23rd 2010, 8:19pm
I've also heard of (and experienced) freshly killed chickens being tough. Another thing to note is that if the bird is very freshly killed ,be careful not to overcook it since the flesh is starting at 100° F rather than 40.
Posted May 23rd 2010, 9:52pm
Thanks for the replies everyone. Based on your responses and some internet research the solution seems to be to let the bird rest for 8 or more hours. The bird tasted damn fine though. Damn fine.

Posted May 24th 2010, 4:00pm
Your typical Purdue or grocery store 'fryer' size is raised in a cage where it cannot move very much and if I remember correct is about 6 weeks old when slaughtered. Larger chickens are of course older and if raised where they can move, they will be tougher. Of course thier is some wisdom in wating until after rigor has passed. I get chcikens from Johns' and they are freshly killed for me, so I bring a cooler with ice which i pack in and around the bird to chill it.
I use Johns' when I cannot find a local source for barn yard raised chickens.-Dick

Posted May 24th 2010, 4:31pm
What/where is Johns?
Posted May 24th 2010, 6:07pm
Fresh Farms Niles had a frozen something they called a "stewing chicken" - a whole bird, head, feet and all which reminded me distinctly of Miss Prissy in the Foghorn Leghorn cartoons. I couldn't resist such a specimen, long and lean though it was, so I brought it home and tossed it in a pot for an hour or so.

An hour wasn't near enough. Every bit of the meat was too tough to chew, in the way that silver skin on pork ribs is impossible to chew unless cooked to goo. It did, however, make the absolute best, silky, rich broth I ever had (although the sight of the head and its comb flopping about in the pot really grossed Sparky out.) I still can't believe how tough it was, though - I was mentally picturing this bird doing aerobics and zoomba before it met its demise.

Posted May 24th 2010, 6:40pm
Mhays,

The broth will be even better with a completely cooked bird...more like 3+ hours and worth the wait.

:twisted:

“Is salami and eggs better than sex?" Alan King

Lead Moderator
Posted May 24th 2010, 6:50pm
HI,

I believe your stewing chicken was once a laying hen. Those can be as old as six years and mighty tough, though very good once slowly cooked.

Regards,

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
Posted May 24th 2010, 7:44pm
Evil Ronnie wrote:Mhays,

The broth will be even better with a completely cooked bird...more like 3+ hours and worth the wait.

:twisted:

After unsuccessfully trying to saw the leg meat off the bones with our teeth, we returned Miss Prissy to the pot and I think got her going for 4 hours or so. She never did loosen up, but the broth was spectacular.

Posted May 24th 2010, 7:59pm
Mhays wrote:Fresh Farms Niles had a frozen something they called a "stewing chicken" - a whole bird, head, feet and all which reminded me distinctly of Miss Prissy in the Foghorn Leghorn cartoons. I couldn't resist such a specimen, long and lean though it was, so I brought it home and tossed it in a pot for an hour or so.

An hour wasn't near enough. Every bit of the meat was too tough to chew, in the way that silver skin on pork ribs is impossible to chew unless cooked to goo. It did, however, make the absolute best, silky, rich broth I ever had (although the sight of the head and its comb flopping about in the pot really grossed Sparky out.) I still can't believe how tough it was, though - I was mentally picturing this bird doing aerobics and zoomba before it met its demise.

Thanks for checking this out and reporting because I've been wondering about those.... I have made some awfully good broth lately with a stewing hen plus chicken feet and gizzards from Fresh Farms in Niles. But I bought the regular stewing hen (not frozen and certainly already beheaded). I'll have to try Miss P one of these days--when it cools down again!
Posted May 24th 2010, 8:08pm
Darren72 wrote:What/where is Johns?

Pick your bird, they'll butcher it for you immediately. Lots of squawking involved.

John's Live Poultry
5955 West Fullerton Avenue
Chicago, IL 60639-2240
(773) 622-2813

Posted May 24th 2010, 8:48pm
Wow - apparently John's is 10 min from my house and I never knew it was there.

Posted May 24th 2010, 9:31pm
On the tough chicken front - I consulted my moms, who frequents John's and the other live poultry places in Chicago almost every time she makes a chicken dish. She insisted that the reason my bird was tough was because it was older, not because I didn't let it rest. I am a bit skeptical because this contradicts a lot of what I've read online and of course what you all have told me, but she and my dad claim that they've cooked birds right after being killed and toughness wasn't a problem. Next time I go to Chicago Live Poultry or Aden Live Poultry (at 2731 W. Lawrence, the sign just says "pollo en vivo" and the equivalent in other languages, including Vietnamese I believe), I'll talk to the butchers and see what the story is according to them.

John's, by the way, has some fantastic poultry. We always get our Turkey's from them during Thanksgiving and they've also got great ducks. Slightly pricey, but worth it. As for the level of squaking, its definitely no joke and combined with the smell it makes for a shopping trip that is not for the squeamish. I once dragged my girlfriend out to John's and made her wait in line for 30 minutes. She was mortified and won't go near any of the live poultry places. Me, I accompanied my grandmother to Aden Live Poultry a few times a month for about 12 years before it became hard for her to leave the house. I got over the smell and noise pretty quickly.

Posted May 25th 2010, 6:09pm
Mhays wrote:Fresh Farms Niles had a frozen something they called a "stewing chicken" - a whole bird, head, feet and all which reminded me distinctly of Miss Prissy in the Foghorn Leghorn cartoons. I couldn't resist such a specimen, long and lean though it was, so I brought it home and tossed it in a pot for an hour or so.

Your frozen bird was prepared for the Oriental market which actually prefers everything
live because of the cultural history of lack of refrigreration.
I avoid ANY frozen poultry.
We have been obtaining our Thanksgiving bird for many years now from John's after our local supplier of fresh birds ended up in the 'clink'. Call and reserve your bird before hand and they give you a number. If you want it killed while you wait, let them know but bring a cooler and ice because you must cool the bird down ASAP and a turkey is a lot to cool. Certainly beats Butterball or any artificially enhanced bird on the market.-Dick
Posted May 7th 2011, 6:31pm
Picked up a whole fryer a few weeks ago from John's. "Polly"weighed about 6.5 lbs with head, feet, giblets.

Butterflied on top of a stuffing of mild pork sausage, sage, sauteed onion, garlic, zest of two lemons, white wine.

Out of oven

Plated:

Polly was a bit chewy as others have noted above.

John's sells roosters in case you wanted to make Coq au Vin. Sadly no bunnies that day, which is why I went there in the first place.

i used to milk cows
Posted May 7th 2011, 8:47pm
Good lord that looks good

It is VERY important to be smart when you're doing something stupid

- Chris

http://stavewoodworking.com
Posted May 8th 2011, 6:55am
Update: since this thread was resurrected, my local supplier has been in business again and we are getting chickens, mallards and Pekin ducks from him. I couldn't get a turkey last year because he was sold out.
The chickens are about 8#'s and just about as tender as a grocery store bird but the joints are much harder to get through, there is also no water that is released when cooking, a fine bird. John's chickens are just about as good. The local ducks are superlative.
Find a live market or a local farmer and you will reduce your purchase of grocery store birds to when you can't get a farm raised one.-Dick
Posted May 8th 2011, 7:54pm
:)

Good to know that John's does rabbits now and then...I've been jonesing to do a really good lapin au moutarde for a while.

:)
Posted May 8th 2011, 8:07pm
teatpuller wrote:Picked up a whole fryer a few weeks ago from John's. "Polly"weighed about 6.5 lbs with head, feet, giblets.

Butterflied on top of a stuffing of mild pork sausage, sage, sauteed onion, garlic, zest of two lemons, white wine.

Out of oven

Plated:

Polly was a bit chewy as others have noted above.

John's sells roosters in case you wanted to make Coq au Vin. Sadly no bunnies that day, which is why I went there in the first place.

Tell me you didn't throw away those feet!
:mrgreen:

Posted May 8th 2011, 8:54pm
No, they are frozen for stock I guess. Not sure what else to do with two chicken feet.

i used to milk cows
Home Cookin'

Online Information