LTH Home

Good Gravy

Good Gravy
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • - November 26th, 2011, 11:35 am
    - November 26th, 2011, 11:35 am Post #61 - November 26th, 2011, 11:35 am
    A little late but I like to dry brine my turkey also and I put it in the Reynolds oven bag, you can find them at Jewel usually. I'm pretty sure they are juice proof but are certainly food grade material and if you're worried about leaks you could just put the turkey into the bag then use a garbage bag as insurance. Mine sat in only the oven bag for 3 days in an iced cooler in which the cooler collected a puddle of melted ice but the bird in the bag remained undiluted.

I also make my own gravy from scratch, for me it's all about the gravy. The usual flour, drippings, butter, red wine and stock route.
    Last year at this time I took the remaining carcass and wings which went uneaten and made a stock with added fresh vegetables and herbs. I froze the stock thinking I would make soup or another turkey dinner in the ensuing months. Never happened. This years thanksgiving prep I took the 2 quarts of frozen stock out (a small amount of frost was on top where a little air contacted the stock which I rinsed off well in the sink - Important) before dropping into my stock pot to thaw and reconstitute with a handful of fresh rough chopped onions, celery and carrots and herbs. I would then roast the giblets and neck that came with this years Ho-Ka and add them to the pot to simmer away. I was thrilled to find the stock was excellent and this year I made the best gravy yet.

In years past I would buy Turkey wings, roast with the usual veggies and make a stock with that ahead of time. With the wings you get the most unctuous and gelatinous stock which may even require less flour or starch to thicken.

What a way to go.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more