LTH Home

Your Cornbread Tastes Like Cat Food

Your Cornbread Tastes Like Cat Food
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - June 1st, 2011, 8:12 pm
    Post #31 - June 1st, 2011, 8:12 pm Post #31 - June 1st, 2011, 8:12 pm
    Here's a dumb question - can I make cornbread using polenta/grits? If I'm not mistaken, it's made from a different type of corn, and ground coarser than regular corn meal - will a loaf made from it be edible?
    "I've always thought pastrami was the most sensuous of the salted cured meats."
  • Post #32 - June 1st, 2011, 8:41 pm
    Post #32 - June 1st, 2011, 8:41 pm Post #32 - June 1st, 2011, 8:41 pm
    Independent George wrote:Here's a dumb question - can I make cornbread using polenta/grits? If I'm not mistaken, it's made from a different type of corn, and ground coarser than regular corn meal - will a loaf made from it be edible?

This is what I used and I thought it had a better texture - crunchier.
    Jyoti
    A meal, with bread and wine, shared with friends and family is among the most essential and important of all human rituals.
    Ruhlman
  • Post #33 - November 18th, 2017, 1:59 pm
    Post #33 - November 18th, 2017, 1:59 pm Post #33 - November 18th, 2017, 1:59 pm
    Hi,

I inherited a box Krusteaz honey cornbread mix from a friend who moved.

This iss a simple add water-only to the mix, then stir until the ingredients were moistened and bake.

Krusteaz is a company from the northwest who began business with a pie mix. Hence the company name was a variation of Crust-Ease.

This cornbread could be considered corn cake, because the texture was very cake-like. There was a bit of unspent baking soda taste, which could be solved by using buttermilk instead of water.

I did not especially like this cornbread, though my Dad thought it was the best I ever made.

My early school years were spent in Maryland. Cornbread was a regularly available at our school cafeteria lunches. I have often thought Jiffy Mix pretty much replicated the experience.

Yes, I am in the add sugar to cornbread grouping.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #34 - June 6th, 2019, 7:21 pm
    Post #34 - June 6th, 2019, 7:21 pm Post #34 - June 6th, 2019, 7:21 pm
    Not sure why but felt like making cornbread tonight. Did NOT taste like cat food, pretty delicious in fact. Also made an Oklahoma onion burger, also delicious but the last for a while.

Cornbread1P.jpg Cornbread

OnionBurger71P.jpg Oklahoma onion burger

Cornbread, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #35 - November 12th, 2021, 4:33 am
    Post #35 - November 12th, 2021, 4:33 am Post #35 - November 12th, 2021, 4:33 am
    Bride went to an event with the neighbor, wasn't too hungry so made a batch of cornbread. Warm from the oven with honey and flaky sea salt with an apple topped with same. Really hit a high note.

Perfectly seasoned cast iron pan was Steve Z's, a gift from the Chowpoodle. Brought a smile of remembrance.

click to enlarge

Cornbread, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #36 - November 13th, 2021, 8:25 pm
    Post #36 - November 13th, 2021, 8:25 pm Post #36 - November 13th, 2021, 8:25 pm
    Personally, I've never eaten cat food, so not sure if my corn bread tastes like it or not. But .... if cat food tastes like the corn breads I've made, then it is darn good tasting cat food.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #37 - November 14th, 2021, 9:57 pm
    Post #37 - November 14th, 2021, 9:57 pm Post #37 - November 14th, 2021, 9:57 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

I inherited a box Krusteaz honey cornbread mix from a friend who moved.

This iss a simple add water-only to the mix, then stir until the ingredients were moistened and bake.

Regards,
    Cathy2

I have also inherited a LOT of corn meal and cornbread mix in the past 12 months.

I have noticed that plain corn meal has a lot longer shelf life than do the cornbread mixes.

Now that I always keep buttermilk in house, I am not buying any more of the mixes.
  • Post #38 - April 25th, 2023, 7:25 pm
    Post #38 - April 25th, 2023, 7:25 pm Post #38 - April 25th, 2023, 7:25 pm
    Cat food issue aside, I was really pleased with a recent Banana Cornbread I made. The moisture and sweetness from the banana really worked well with the cornmeal. Great accompaniment to chili.

The recipe came from the cookbook “Cross Creek Kitchens” by Sally Morrison. Here’s the ingredient list:

1 cup cornmeal
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp nutmeg
    2 ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup plain yogurt

This baked at 375 degrees in an 8x8x2 baking pan for about 30 minutes. Slathered with butter, this was really delicious. I also froze half in individual portions and it thawed/reheated really well.
  • Post #39 - April 26th, 2023, 2:38 pm
    Post #39 - April 26th, 2023, 2:38 pm Post #39 - April 26th, 2023, 2:38 pm
    LTH,
    This is a sweet, Yankee recipe, and I still love it. I squeeze the creamed corn dry, use a good quality medium grind cornmeal and pour batter into a preheated buttered cast iron
    skillet. Fantastic crunch.
    https://www.justapinch.com/recipe/barba ... tid=kdkkhi
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more