LTH Home

Recipe for Sicilian bakery style pizza dough

Recipe for Sicilian bakery style pizza dough
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Recipe for Sicilian bakery style pizza dough

Post #1 - November 2nd, 2011, 8:52 pm
    Post #1 - November 2nd, 2011, 8:52 pm Post #1 - November 2nd, 2011, 8:52 pm
    Does anyone have a recipe for the sicilian type bakery pizza that used to be sold at Di Leos bakery at Taylor and May back in the 1970's? Its made in a big oblong pan and they cut pieces of it off and its served at room temperature. I believe it is sold elsewhere but I would like to make it at home. I used to buy it on my way to class we lived in a coachhouse in the alley by the bakery. Need recipe for dough especially. Its not the same as thin crust dough.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #2 - November 3rd, 2011, 8:30 am
    Post #2 - November 3rd, 2011, 8:30 am Post #2 - November 3rd, 2011, 8:30 am
    As an amatuer home pizza maker, I have learned a great deal from the pizzamaking.com website, which has forums of pizza style you would like to imitate. Even if you follow instructions very well, it's still going to be a learning curve since a lot of dough making is the "feel". Below is a link to sicilian style, good luck!

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index. ... board=29.0
  • Post #3 - November 3rd, 2011, 8:45 am
    Post #3 - November 3rd, 2011, 8:45 am Post #3 - November 3rd, 2011, 8:45 am
    thanks. I will take a look at it.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #4 - January 7th, 2018, 5:20 pm
    Post #4 - January 7th, 2018, 5:20 pm Post #4 - January 7th, 2018, 5:20 pm
    Hi,

Since I wasn't leaving home today, I needed something interesting to do.

I found Kenji's Sicilian pizza with pepperoni and spicy tomato sauce. It's Kenji's effort to emulate Pearl Street Pizza from New York.

I made a half recipe fitting a jelly roll pan, because full was a half-sheet pan size. I also halved the amount of crush red chilis called for, because heat is not my thing.

The family really liked this pizza. They were glad I cut the chili in half, since they felt the impact of what was present.

The greatest compliment: "You can make this again."
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #5 - January 8th, 2018, 9:37 am
    Post #5 - January 8th, 2018, 9:37 am Post #5 - January 8th, 2018, 9:37 am
    Kenji’s recipe is in our regular rotation and I agree that it’s excellent.
  • Post #6 - January 9th, 2018, 6:47 am
    Post #6 - January 9th, 2018, 6:47 am Post #6 - January 9th, 2018, 6:47 am
    Darren72 wrote:Kenji’s recipe is in our regular rotation and I agree that it’s excellent.

I'm curious, do you typically make the full recipe or halve it? A half sheet pan is really quite a bit of pizza.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #7 - January 9th, 2018, 8:46 am
    Post #7 - January 9th, 2018, 8:46 am Post #7 - January 9th, 2018, 8:46 am
    We've always done the full pan and frozen leftovers. It reheats very well.
    It's also a good recipe for a small party because there's little last minute prep.
  • Post #8 - January 9th, 2018, 4:49 pm
    Post #8 - January 9th, 2018, 4:49 pm Post #8 - January 9th, 2018, 4:49 pm
    kenji's pizza looks great, except for the pepperoni(which is the only sausage i don't like). can anyone who's made it compare it to d'amato's pizza slices? this is my favorite pizza in the world (though sometimes it's overbaked; sometimes underdone). it looks close- but i don't want to go to the trouble of making it if it tastes nothing like it. thanks!
  • Post #9 - January 10th, 2018, 1:58 pm
    Post #9 - January 10th, 2018, 1:58 pm Post #9 - January 10th, 2018, 1:58 pm
    There are comments on the recipe page by people who have made it...
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #10 - January 10th, 2018, 5:27 pm
    Post #10 - January 10th, 2018, 5:27 pm Post #10 - January 10th, 2018, 5:27 pm
    leek wrote:There are comments on the recipe page by people who have made it...
    ...thanks, but they don't live/eat in chicago and can't compare it to d'amato's bakery pizza...
  • Post #11 - January 10th, 2018, 6:41 pm
    Post #11 - January 10th, 2018, 6:41 pm Post #11 - January 10th, 2018, 6:41 pm
    I usually prefer thin crust, but there’s some styles of pizza where I don’t mind a thick crust. This looks enjoyable.
    I’ll have to try some variation without obviously the pepperonis since I am vegetarian.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #12 - January 10th, 2018, 11:13 pm
    Post #12 - January 10th, 2018, 11:13 pm Post #12 - January 10th, 2018, 11:13 pm
    Joan,

If irisarbor is ok with this, I will make it for the Mardi Gras party. You can then test it and offer your considered opinion.

I can bake it, then quickly get it over there within 10 minutes. It will be awfully close to take-out pizza with an amateur delivery person: me! :D

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #13 - January 11th, 2018, 5:56 pm
    Post #13 - January 11th, 2018, 5:56 pm Post #13 - January 11th, 2018, 5:56 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Joan,

If irisarbor is ok with this, I will make it for the Mardi Gras party. You can then test it and offer your considered opinion.

I can bake it, then quickly get it over there within 10 minutes. It will be awfully close to take-out pizza with an amateur delivery person: me! :D

Regards,
    Cathy2
    that's really nice of you- but please don't make it just because i want to try it...i might be on a very restricted diet the week of the party and may not eat much-i'll just enjoy the company and the music....but, good news if you DO make it: sicilian pizza is intended to be eaten at room temp, or hot, so you don't have to rush it over...

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more