LTH Home

Those udders were utterly delicious!

Those udders were utterly delicious!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Those udders were utterly delicious!

Post #1 - March 21st, 2012, 7:37 pm
    Post #1 - March 21st, 2012, 7:37 pm Post #1 - March 21st, 2012, 7:37 pm
    Hi,

At last week's Jennifer McLagan Odd Bits program, an audience member recalled a meal of grilled cow udder.

Any idea where you can buy a cow udder?

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - March 21st, 2012, 11:51 pm
    Post #2 - March 21st, 2012, 11:51 pm Post #2 - March 21st, 2012, 11:51 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

At last week's Jennifer McLagan Odd Bits program, an audience member recalled a meal of grilled cow udder.

Any idea where you can buy a cow udder?

==================

I thought that I could find a source for anything, nut that is one part of the cow that I have NEVER seen marketed.

You would have to find a slaughterhouse in the Midwest that butchers cows (like most of them). However, I do not know if they would sell it to you off the street.

NO dairy farmer that I know actually butchers this own dairy cows. The ones that DO have them butchered at a processor convert nearly all the weight to ground beef or canned beef.
  • Post #3 - March 22nd, 2012, 7:00 am
    Post #3 - March 22nd, 2012, 7:00 am Post #3 - March 22nd, 2012, 7:00 am
    Any beef hot dog will do!
    Otherwise they are no marketed.-Dick
  • Post #4 - March 22nd, 2012, 7:44 am
    Post #4 - March 22nd, 2012, 7:44 am Post #4 - March 22nd, 2012, 7:44 am
    Try Lake Geneva Country Meats. They may occasionally get in a dairy cow. Although dairy cows are often slaughtered due to mastitis, so that might be kind of nasty. Not sure if the USDA inspector checks for that (?)
    i used to milk cows
  • Post #5 - March 22nd, 2012, 7:53 am
    Post #5 - March 22nd, 2012, 7:53 am Post #5 - March 22nd, 2012, 7:53 am
    I'm almost positive that those parts of the cow are off-limits. Some of it, I'm guessing is a butchering/locker question--when you get locally raised beef processed, they don't have the skills and facilities to deal with the tushy parts of the cow. When you buy a local side, you cannot get tripe, beef casings, etc. I'm not sure, however, if there's USDA rules too.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #6 - March 22nd, 2012, 8:58 am
    Post #6 - March 22nd, 2012, 8:58 am Post #6 - March 22nd, 2012, 8:58 am
    USDA says "okay" (sort of):

Nonlactating cow udders may be
    saved for food purposes provided suitable
    facilities for handling and inspecting
    them are provided.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-t ... 310-18.pdf

Not sure how someone determines "nonlactating" but I guess that's why I'm not a dairy farmer.
  • Post #7 - March 22nd, 2012, 9:47 am
    Post #7 - March 22nd, 2012, 9:47 am Post #7 - March 22nd, 2012, 9:47 am
    Where's teatpuller when we need him??! :lol:

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #8 - March 22nd, 2012, 10:12 am
    Post #8 - March 22nd, 2012, 10:12 am Post #8 - March 22nd, 2012, 10:12 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:Not sure how someone determines "nonlactating" but I guess that's why I'm not a dairy farmer.

It would be fairly easy to tell. If the udder is soft and floppy, it is not in lactation. Any doubt would be confirmed with a sharp knife. Unfortunately a dairy cow is rarely slaughtered when completely "dry."

Some beef heifers are not bred and slaughtered. That could be an option. The udder in that case would be pretty small and undeveloped.

I suspect most udder eaten in the world would be from an old milk cow that either can't be bred or is deemed too old to try.
    i used to milk cows
  • Post #9 - June 8th, 2012, 12:31 pm
    Post #9 - June 8th, 2012, 12:31 pm Post #9 - June 8th, 2012, 12:31 pm
    Looking through some old issues of Petits Propos Culinaires I found several discussions of udder cookery.

Lynda Brown writes that Samuel Pepys mentioned "a good udder to dinner" in his diary but its popularity in England has since declined, recently being found only in parts of West Yorkshire. She presents three recipes for elder, another term for udder, from the region: cubed udder marinated in well-seasoned vinaigrette (like pâté); larger cubes of udder breaded and deep fried (similar to sweetbreads); mushrooms and strips of udder in cream sauce, served on toast. Boiled udder is used in all three.

Barbara Kirschenblatt-Gimblett presents a Jewish Yemenite recipe for kahal, or udder (she also includes one for geed, or penis). One might imagine a milk-secreting organ would present special problems for kashrut but this seems not to be the case; the udder is simply broiled to expel the milk. Broiled udder gets cooked for 3-4 hours with tomatoes, onions and spices (black pepper, caraway, cardamom, saffron and turmeric).

Finally, Audris d'Aragona discusses the relative lack of udder recipes in Italian cuisine and presents several uses for veal teats.

Lynda Brown (1987) Elder: 'A Good Udder to Dinner' Petits Propos Culinaires 26:60-64

Barbara Kirschenblatt-Gimblett (1987) Udder and Other Extremities: Recipes from the Jews of Yemen Petits Propos Culinaires 27:49-50

Audris d'Aragona (1988) On Udder Petits Propos Culinaires 30:60
  • Post #10 - June 9th, 2012, 12:58 pm
    Post #10 - June 9th, 2012, 12:58 pm Post #10 - June 9th, 2012, 12:58 pm
    I would suggest calling neesvigs in windsor wis.
  • Post #11 - June 10th, 2012, 12:37 pm
    Post #11 - June 10th, 2012, 12:37 pm Post #11 - June 10th, 2012, 12:37 pm
    I tried goat udder with laikom and gastrognome in Hanoi this March. Unfortunately, it wasn't particularly good, either in the flavor (mild) or texture department (springy). We had a platter of it at a grill-your-own goat place (think semi-outdoor Vietnamese version of Korean BBQ w/ live coal) - served raw, quickly charred over hot coals, then wrapped with various herbs in rice paper and dunked in nuoc mam pha.

Nhất Ly‎
    1 Hàng Cót
    Hoan Kiem District
    Hanoi, Vietnam

Interesting to try, but not something I'd go out of my way to find again.

-Dan

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more