LTH Home

Rumors about Marianos in Chicagoland

Rumors about Marianos in Chicagoland
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 22
  • Rumors about Marianos in Chicagoland

Post #1 - June 24th, 2012, 1:04 pm
    Post #1 - June 24th, 2012, 1:04 pm Post #1 - June 24th, 2012, 1:04 pm
    Does anyone know anything about a new Mariano's store that is supposed to open at the corner of Waukegan Road and Golf Road in Morton Grove? This rumor has been circulating for awhile but I don't see any reference to it on the Mariano's website. Is this just wishful thinking or is there substance behind the rumor?

The rumor came from a restaurant owner in Skokie but we are not sure if he had it straight because he kept referring to "Mario's". It was clear from some of the details that he meant Mariano's and he admitted and corrected himself when we asked about the discrepancy.

Any info is appreciated!

(subject heading edited to reflect that the rumored store might be in glenview, not morton grove)
    --Joy
    Last edited by Joy on December 2nd, 2013, 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  • Post #2 - June 24th, 2012, 9:30 pm
    Post #2 - June 24th, 2012, 9:30 pm Post #2 - June 24th, 2012, 9:30 pm
    First google result for "mariano's waukegan golf":

Dealer Seeks Tax Rebate For Moving

Glenview village trustees approved an agreement to give McGrath Automotive Group substantial tax incentives for a proposed site on the former Avon property at Golf and Waukegan roads last night (Tuesday).

Regency Centers' development with McGrath would also contain a Mariano's grocery store in the now vacant former Avon site next to the village of Golf.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #3 - June 25th, 2012, 8:03 am
    Post #3 - June 25th, 2012, 8:03 am Post #3 - June 25th, 2012, 8:03 am
    Thanks very much for that info! We missed it. We were googling with "Morton Grove" in the search criteria and did not find that article. It is Glenview, not Morton Grove --the other side of the street.
  • Post #4 - July 4th, 2012, 4:10 pm
    Post #4 - July 4th, 2012, 4:10 pm Post #4 - July 4th, 2012, 4:10 pm
    Does anyone know how grocery chains calculate how close together their stores should be?

I ask because Mariano's is also supposedly coming to Park Ridge, at Touhy & Cumberland avenues. Since there is so little retail within the city limits, I usually have to travel a bit far afield to find what I'm looking for, and a Mariano's at Golf and Waukegan would definitely be within my routine travel path.
    "When I'm born I'm a Tar Heel bred, and when I die I'm a Tar Heel dead."
  • Post #5 - July 5th, 2012, 7:08 am
    Post #5 - July 5th, 2012, 7:08 am Post #5 - July 5th, 2012, 7:08 am
    sdbond wrote:Does anyone know how grocery chains calculate how close together their stores should be?

This is off topic, but your question reminds me that in the strip mall at Division and Clybourn, where there's a large Dominick's, there's a Starbucks a door or two to the west of the Dominick's...and there's a Starbucks a door or two to the east of the Dominick's. I'm not sure if this is because they determined there is sufficient demand, or because they determined that people won't walk more than twenty feet from their cars to go to a Starbucks!

But actually it occurs to me it might not be off topic when it comes to grocery chains. The reason Starbucks has two locations so absurdly close may be not that demand requires it, but that they don't want the space on the other side of the Dominick's going to Caribou or Intelligentsia. The reason there might be two Jewels close together is not that Jewel has determined there are that many Jewel customers, but that Jewel doesn't want Dominick's coming in. Essentially, they're willing to trade off some per-store revenue in return for increased market share. Anyway, you ask an interesting question that I'd like to know the answer to as well.
  • Post #6 - July 5th, 2012, 8:46 am
    Post #6 - July 5th, 2012, 8:46 am Post #6 - July 5th, 2012, 8:46 am
    I don't know the answer to the supermarket question, other than they do a lot of demographic and economic modeling, but I'd point out that vs. Starbucks, building a supermarket is a huge investment compared to leasing a store and putting in a couple of brewers. So Starbucks can much more easily grab retail space to satisfy impulsivity or keep competitors out than a Jewel can build a store just to keep Dominick's out.
  • Post #7 - July 5th, 2012, 9:00 am
    Post #7 - July 5th, 2012, 9:00 am Post #7 - July 5th, 2012, 9:00 am
    riddlemay wrote:
    sdbond wrote:Does anyone know how grocery chains calculate how close together their stores should be?

This is off topic, but your question reminds me that in the strip mall at Division and Clybourn, where there's a large Dominick's, there's a Starbucks a door or two to the west of the Dominick's...and there's a Starbucks a door or two to the east of the Dominick's. I'm not sure if this is because they determined there is sufficient demand, or because they determined that people won't walk more than twenty feet from their cars to go to a Starbucks!

But actually it occurs to me it might not be off topic when it comes to grocery chains. The reason Starbucks has two locations so absurdly close may be not that demand requires it, but that they don't want the space on the other side of the Dominick's going to Caribou or Intelligentsia. The reason there might be two Jewels close together is not that Jewel has determined there are that many Jewel customers, but that Jewel doesn't want Dominick's coming in. Essentially, they're willing to trade off some per-store revenue in return for increased market share. Anyway, you ask an interesting question that I'd like to know the answer to as well.

Hi guys, I actually used to do site & market strategy for a number of years - not for a grocery store but a chain drugstore. (You can probably figure out which one.) While I certainly can't speak for any other retailer, I can tell you that our site selection process was a pretty scientific measure of supply and demand and resulting sales and profit, but the concept of "we should take it just so they can't" was not a part of the equation. Retailers like grocery stores and drugstores run on such razor thin margins that it's really not good business sense to open a loss leader (or even just a relatively weak location) just to build share and keep the competition out. It's funny, because our real estate guys would try to use that argument from time to time ("well, the so-&-so developer is on our heels - if we don't take it, they definitely will") but it really never held any water. If a site couldn't meet the financial standards for a new location, squeezing out the competition was never a valid reason to get the deal through.

That said, having followed Starbucks' retail expansion over the years, their metrics and standards were obviously a bit different, and like I said, every retailer does it a bit differently.
  • Post #8 - July 5th, 2012, 5:57 pm
    Post #8 - July 5th, 2012, 5:57 pm Post #8 - July 5th, 2012, 5:57 pm
    PitaChip wrote: While I certainly can't speak for any other retailer, I can tell you that our site selection process was a pretty scientific measure of supply and demand and resulting sales and profit

So, PitaChip, if you worked for the retailer I think you worked for, I've been curious for years why there's a C*S on the northwest corner of Foster and Higgins AND a C*S on the southeast corner of Foster and Higgins.

A friend who lives near-by has speculated that it's a very spacious intersection, and the old-ish population of the area can't get across one or another street quickly enough so it's worth keeping both stores open. Granted, one was a new build-out and one was a legacy Osco; also one is open 24 hours and one isn't. Both stores have been open the better part of a decade now, but inquiring minds want to know . . . .

Giovanna
    Last edited by Giovanna on July 6th, 2012, 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #9 - July 6th, 2012, 5:09 am
    Post #9 - July 6th, 2012, 5:09 am Post #9 - July 6th, 2012, 5:09 am
    There has been some interesting posts on the roundy's finance board on yahoo about locations:
    http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/mb/rndy
  • Post #10 - July 7th, 2012, 6:52 pm
    Post #10 - July 7th, 2012, 6:52 pm Post #10 - July 7th, 2012, 6:52 pm
    According to a lawyer pal who knows the subject intimately, a lot of CVS location-expansion research has to do with how close they can get to an existing Walgreen's (and vice versa). I now have three Walgreen's within walking distance from where I live - and two CVS stores. (Interestingly, I purchase all of my 'scrips at Target, which must drive them crazy. :twisted:)

Drive down Dempster west of McCormick sometime, and count the combined stores, bothe existing and under construction. You will run out of fingers in a hurry!
  • Post #11 - July 8th, 2012, 6:24 am
    Post #11 - July 8th, 2012, 6:24 am Post #11 - July 8th, 2012, 6:24 am
    sundevilpeg wrote:According to a lawyer pal who knows the subject intimately, a lot of CVS location-expansion research has to do with how close they can get to an existing Walgreen's (and vice versa). I now have three Walgreen's within walking distance from where I live - and two CVS stores. (Interestingly, I purchase all of my 'scrips at Target, which must drive them crazy. :twisted:)

Drive down Dempster west of McCormick sometime, and count the combined stores, bothe existing and under construction. You will run out of fingers in a hurry!

This does almost sound like defensive strategy--like, "our store sales in that location may not set the world on fire, but we'll take some away from Walgreen's and head off their world domination and our complete destruction."
  • Post #12 - July 8th, 2012, 1:18 pm
    Post #12 - July 8th, 2012, 1:18 pm Post #12 - July 8th, 2012, 1:18 pm
    As to Walgreens, i was told by a local lawyer/development person that their stratedgy in several areas were to saturate the area driving out locals/higher cost places and then shut down some of the stores in the saturation area. So that what remains are the walgreens.

A bit of hate here - one of the medications my wife needed when pregnant is delivered as a wax block and then is supposed to be melted into caplets. Where we used to live this is a no-brainer, in Wisconsin this is considered "manufacturing" and requires a major surcharge per pill. The only pharmacy with a manufacturing licence in the area was a walgreens, and not in a part of town that I would willingly go into. The cost difference was $100 in the old state vs. close to $10k locally. We were lucky to be referred to a woman's clinic 90 miles away that did it at their cost ($500 factoring in the manufacturing license costs)
  • Post #13 - April 1st, 2013, 2:34 pm
    Post #13 - April 1st, 2013, 2:34 pm Post #13 - April 1st, 2013, 2:34 pm
    Regarding the new Mariano's project that is being considered for the old Avon warehouse site on Waukegan Road north of Golf Road, there is a LOT of info on the Glenview village website at this linkthat indicates that the project is still alive and slowly moving forward.

The project is called the “Glen Gate Shopping Center/Residential, 1601 Overlook Drive”
    There will be a meeting of the Board of Trustees April 3 at 7:30 p.m. According to the website, "the Board of Trustees will consider the application for redevelopment of the former Avon site at the corner of Golf/Waukegan Road. The Board of Trustees will be considering recommendations from the Plan Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals. The Board of Trustees will also be considering TIF ordinances for the area as well."

Which reminds all of us in these neighborhoods about how important it is to vote in the upcoming elections! :-)
  • Post #14 - April 16th, 2013, 4:33 pm
    Post #14 - April 16th, 2013, 4:33 pm Post #14 - April 16th, 2013, 4:33 pm
    Today's Tribune reports that the Glenview trustees have approved the TIF district for Mariano's, apartment complex, bank and other retail space. Construction is scheduled for 2014.
  • Post #15 - April 19th, 2013, 11:34 pm
    Post #15 - April 19th, 2013, 11:34 pm Post #15 - April 19th, 2013, 11:34 pm
    The last article I read on Mariano's on Golf and Waukegan (maybe a couple of months ago?) also noted that a Mariano's was supposed to come to another site in Glenview - I'm thinking somewhere near Pfingsten and Waukegan. I can't find any reference to this anymore, though, does anyone know if that isn't going to happen or did I just make it up? I must have seen it in the Glenview Lantern, as that free weekly is pretty much my only source of local news, but I can't locate this information anywhere. I remember thinking how strange it was to think there would be two Mariano's so close to each other. Thanks!
    “First we eat, then we do everything else.” ― M.F.K. Fisher
  • Post #16 - April 20th, 2013, 9:29 am
    Post #16 - April 20th, 2013, 9:29 am Post #16 - April 20th, 2013, 9:29 am
    Pfingsten and Waukegan don't cross and are about a mile or so apart.

The rumors I'd heard were for Willow and Sanders, where there is a large lot under the start of development next to Astellas HQ... But I haven't heard anything about that location in probably a year... And, it's Northbrook.

[edited] Maybe it isn't Northbrook, and it is Glenview. -- the borders are rather wiggly.
    Last edited by JoelF on April 23rd, 2013, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #17 - April 23rd, 2013, 8:48 am
    Post #17 - April 23rd, 2013, 8:48 am Post #17 - April 23rd, 2013, 8:48 am
    Oops, sorry, you're right, I meant Pfingsten and Willow and clearly mis-wrote that. And now that I have found a second source for my information (finally!), I can remember that you're also right about Sanders and Willow at the old Culligan's HQ. However, my second source also calls it a Glenview site (I would have guessed Northbrook as well). This article is from the Sun-Times, February 27, 2013, called "Glenview A Hit with Developers." Anyway, that was the most recent article I could find. I'm at least glad to know I didn't make it up, but it still seems strange to me to have two Mariano's so close to one another, after having none in the area for some time. Thanks for the clarifications.
    “First we eat, then we do everything else.” ― M.F.K. Fisher
  • Post #18 - October 15th, 2013, 10:05 am
    Post #18 - October 15th, 2013, 10:05 am Post #18 - October 15th, 2013, 10:05 am
    Two real estate companies recently purchased the former Avon Products site at Golf and Waukegan roads and are moving forward with construction of a $90 million shopping center including a Mariano's, according to Crain's.

http://glenview.patch.com/groups/busine ... -avon-site
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #19 - October 15th, 2013, 12:37 pm
    Post #19 - October 15th, 2013, 12:37 pm Post #19 - October 15th, 2013, 12:37 pm
    Two new grocery stores about a mile apart? Remember, a long defunct/vacant Dominicks store on Waukegan just north of Old Glenview Road has finally been torn down and there are rumors that a grocery store is going to be built. The demolition is complete and the fencing is still up.
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #20 - October 15th, 2013, 4:52 pm
    Post #20 - October 15th, 2013, 4:52 pm Post #20 - October 15th, 2013, 4:52 pm
    Elfin wrote:Two new grocery stores about a mile apart? Remember, a long defunct/vacant Dominicks store on Waukegan just north of Old Glenview Road has finally been torn down and there are rumors that a grocery store is going to be built. The demolition is complete and the fencing is still up.

That site is supposed to be - http://www.heinens.com/ - this is according to my good friend that work for Sysco.
  • Post #21 - October 15th, 2013, 6:32 pm
    Post #21 - October 15th, 2013, 6:32 pm Post #21 - October 15th, 2013, 6:32 pm
    Elfin wrote:Two new grocery stores about a mile apart? Remember, a long defunct/vacant Dominicks store on Waukegan just north of Old Glenview Road has finally been torn down and there are rumors that a grocery store is going to be built. The demolition is complete and the fencing is still up.

I grew up near there, and I'm reasonably certain Old Glenview Road doesn't get anywhere near Waukegan Road - I think it ends just east of the Edens. Are you sure you don't mean [non-old] Glenview Road? The former Eagle store, which later became a Dominick's, has been demolished and there is some construction activity on Waukegan just north of [non-old] Glenview Road.
  • Post #22 - October 15th, 2013, 10:04 pm
    Post #22 - October 15th, 2013, 10:04 pm Post #22 - October 15th, 2013, 10:04 pm
    nr706 wrote:

I grew up near there, and I'm reasonably certain Old Glenview Road doesn't get anywhere near Waukegan Road - I think it ends just east of the Edens. Are you sure you don't mean [non-old] Glenview Road? The former Eagle store, which later became a Dominick's, has been demolished and there is some construction activity on Waukegan just north of [non-old] Glenview Road.

Hi,

I have a friend who lives at the intersection of Waukegan Road and Glenview Road. Just north of there is this demolished Dominicks soon to be Heinens according to this friend.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #23 - October 16th, 2013, 5:18 pm
    Post #23 - October 16th, 2013, 5:18 pm Post #23 - October 16th, 2013, 5:18 pm
    The current count is:

2- Mariano's (one at Avon site one at Willow/Sanders)
    1- Heinen's
    1- Jewel replacing Dominicks at the Glen

So 3 new, 1 rebranding.

http://www.journal-topics.com/news/glen ... f6878.html
  • Post #24 - October 24th, 2013, 12:23 pm
    Post #24 - October 24th, 2013, 12:23 pm Post #24 - October 24th, 2013, 12:23 pm
    Plus the existing Jewel Osco on Waukegan just south of Willow and the Trader Joes on lake and Waukegan. No buyers for the Dominicks on Willow and the Edens. Wonder if Whole Foods will enter the mix...heheh
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #25 - October 24th, 2013, 12:49 pm
    Post #25 - October 24th, 2013, 12:49 pm Post #25 - October 24th, 2013, 12:49 pm
    I asked the staff at one of the Dominick's in Naperville (which has a Jewel across the street) what was going to happen. They think either Marianos, Whole Foods or Krogers. I would predict Marianos. They just put one in Wheaton.
  • Post #26 - October 24th, 2013, 4:22 pm
    Post #26 - October 24th, 2013, 4:22 pm Post #26 - October 24th, 2013, 4:22 pm
    Hi- There is a WF on Willow near Waukegan, and so I doubt they would want to take over the Northfield Dominick's store. I could see a Mariano's moving in there though. That location is nicer than most of the other Dominick's stores.
  • Post #27 - December 2nd, 2013, 5:39 pm
    Post #27 - December 2nd, 2013, 5:39 pm Post #27 - December 2nd, 2013, 5:39 pm
    There is breaking news on the Chicago Tribune site that Mariano's is buying 11 Dominick's stores. This must be sweet for the Mariano's CEO who once worked for Dominick's.

“There is no direct transfer of existing Dominick’s employees to the newly-acquired Mariano’s stores,” Chairman and CEO Bob Mariano said on a conference call. “In order to staff these stores, Mariano’s will be holding job fairs, as well as accepting applications online at http://www.marianos.com.”

• Park Ridge: 1900 S. Cumberland Ave.
    • Western Springs: No. 14 Garden Market Street
    • Chicago: 3145 S. Ashland Ave.
    • Chicago: 2021 W. Chicago Ave.
    • Northfield: 1822 Willow Rd.
    • Westchester: 3020 S. Wolf Rd.
    • Buffalo Grove: 450 Half Day Rd.
    • Chicago: 5201 N. Sheridan Rd.
    • Gurnee: 6655 Grand Ave.
    • Aurora: 3025 E. New York St.
    • Shorewood: 950 Brook Forest Ave.

Support the Chicago Tribune, everyone. They are doing an awesome job! --Joy
  • Post #28 - December 3rd, 2013, 11:25 am
    Post #28 - December 3rd, 2013, 11:25 am Post #28 - December 3rd, 2013, 11:25 am
    I'll be curious to see how the one in my neck of the woods does (Northfield). There is a Whole Foods, Sunset Foods and Garden Fresh within 10 minutes, so they'll have plenty of competition.
  • Post #29 - December 3rd, 2013, 1:51 pm
    Post #29 - December 3rd, 2013, 1:51 pm Post #29 - December 3rd, 2013, 1:51 pm
    Jonah wrote:I'll be curious to see how the one in my neck of the woods does (Northfield). There is a Whole Foods, Sunset Foods and Garden Fresh within 10 minutes, so they'll have plenty of competition.

I suspect that it will do quite well. The current Dominick's is always busy. IMO - apples and oranges comparing Dominick's to WF,SF, and GF.
  • Post #30 - December 22nd, 2013, 11:36 am
    Post #30 - December 22nd, 2013, 11:36 am Post #30 - December 22nd, 2013, 11:36 am
    More north-suburban Mariano's news . . .
    Northbrook trustees unanimously gave their approval for a development that is hoped to bring a Mariano's grocery store, a multistory apartment building, a bank, a Panera Bread and other retail space to the eastern part of the village.

Northbrook trustees OK Northshore 770 development

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events