LTH Home

Rumors about Marianos in Chicagoland

Rumors about Marianos in Chicagoland
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 13 of 22
  • Post #361 - June 21st, 2017, 10:06 am
    Post #361 - June 21st, 2017, 10:06 am Post #361 - June 21st, 2017, 10:06 am
    lodasi wrote:Just as an FYI, one can sign up for Mariano's Rewards program from their new website pretty easily. You don't receive a physical card, but you can set your alternative ID to be something easy to remember, like your phone number.

Yes this is true, but why don't they send out an actual card? Another thing that shocks me is that they don't have an app! I asked the manager at the Park Ridge store about this and he had this glazed look in his eyes, and mumbled "gee I don't know". Fresh Farms has what four stores, and they have an app.
  • Post #362 - June 21st, 2017, 6:56 pm
    Post #362 - June 21st, 2017, 6:56 pm Post #362 - June 21st, 2017, 6:56 pm
    lodasi wrote:Just as an FYI, one can sign up for Mariano's Rewards program from their new website pretty easily. You don't receive a physical card, but you can set your alternative ID to be something easy to remember, like your phone number.

That's good info and thanks for sharing. My beef is . . . they already HAVE my info. They couldn't have sent me something about the switchover in advance? Or, I don't know, maybe even pre-register the new digital card using that info and send me something telling me about it and providing me a url to go to and activate it if I so chose? Really, when getting and harvesting customer data is so important to retailers these days this seems totally inexplicable to me. I stopped at Mariano's on my way home to pick up some dinner items a little while ago and flashed my card. When told I'd need to sign up for a new card to get the discounts on the items I was buying I passed and declined to make the purchase. The leftovers I had in the fridge were just fine that night. Sometime in the future I'll go through with getting the new format card, since the store is only a block away and quite convenient, but the way this was handled really rubbed me the wrong way.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #363 - June 21st, 2017, 8:06 pm
    Post #363 - June 21st, 2017, 8:06 pm Post #363 - June 21st, 2017, 8:06 pm
    Kman wrote:

That's good info and thanks for sharing. My beef is . . . they already HAVE my info. They couldn't have sent me something about the switchover in advance? Or, I don't know, maybe even pre-register the new digital card using that info and send me something telling me about it and providing me a url to go to and activate it if I so chose? Really, when getting and harvesting customer data is so important to retailers these days this seems totally inexplicable to me. I stopped at Mariano's on my way home to pick up some dinner items a little while ago and flashed my card. When told I'd need to sign up for a new card to get the discounts on the items I was buying I passed and declined to make the purchase. The leftovers I had in the fridge were just fine that night. Sometime in the future I'll go through with getting the new format card, since the store is only a block away and quite convenient, but the way this was handled really rubbed me the wrong way.

No offense intended, but they did do a pretty good job of in-store publicity about the new program. If you were registered on their website, they also included the information in their emails. I do agree that the new program isn't perfect and they definitely need an app.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #364 - June 22nd, 2017, 5:24 am
    Post #364 - June 22nd, 2017, 5:24 am Post #364 - June 22nd, 2017, 5:24 am
    Mariano's stores do show up as locations in the Kroger app, but so far they don't have any content associated with the locations.
    Cookingblahg.blogspot.com
  • Post #365 - July 7th, 2017, 3:51 pm
    Post #365 - July 7th, 2017, 3:51 pm Post #365 - July 7th, 2017, 3:51 pm
    Mariano's is now playing a new game. The 'regular' price is some ridiculous price and the 'sale' price is what it should be selling for. I will not give them my personal info and let them track me and I will not be shopping at their stores.

Example from today before I walked out: Non-organic avacados, 'regular' priced at $2.99 and 'sale' priced at $1.99. Avacados have never ( except for a very short time several months ago ) been $2.99.
  • Post #366 - July 7th, 2017, 6:00 pm
    Post #366 - July 7th, 2017, 6:00 pm Post #366 - July 7th, 2017, 6:00 pm
    Not sure if this is the place for this post as it is about loyalty cards/apps not Mariano's. Truthfully at Mariano's I'm not sure what it does.

The River Forest Fresh Thyme has recently opened. I downloaded the mobile app, I than looked up the sale items for my store, and checked off the ones I wanted. Went to the store, bought some of the items I had checked as well as other items. I (not the cashier) scanned my phone at check out, and any items from my check list rang up at the sale price. So far it is a great app based on setting up and ease of use. No Card
    "I drink to make other people more interesting."
    Ernest Hemingway
  • Post #367 - July 8th, 2017, 10:55 pm
    Post #367 - July 8th, 2017, 10:55 pm Post #367 - July 8th, 2017, 10:55 pm
    I took the time to look at the Mariano's website and their loyalty program. The program is set up on the Kroger's platform but honestly, it is not the fully implemented Kroger's program that you find in the more established divisions of Kroger's. There are some benefits in the Mariano's that are in addition to what most Kroger's divisions offer - especially the buy 10 get one free.

I find a great deal of value in the Kroger's loyalty program in the following areas:

1) Digital coupons - especially on the Kroger brands. I do not play more than $0.70/ lb on cottage cheese or sour cream. 20-30% of my staple purchases use these digital coupons. You log into your accounts and select up to 150 of 600 available coupons.

2) Free Friday Downloads - at least 50 free items a year. Sure, some of the things are not items I use but many are. And some of these items are regularly priced $2-5.

3) Best-customer bonuses - Additional free items each quarter and additional coupons for discounts on meats and produce items.

4) Fuel points - These save me $5-8 a month of my gas purchases.

In general, all Kroger's cards accrue benefits at all Kroger's stores, affiliates, and convenience stores
  • Post #368 - July 9th, 2017, 6:07 pm
    Post #368 - July 9th, 2017, 6:07 pm Post #368 - July 9th, 2017, 6:07 pm
    lougord99 wrote:Mariano's is now playing a new game. The 'regular' price is some ridiculous price and the 'sale' price is what it should be selling for. I will not give them my personal info and let them track me and I will not be shopping at their stores.

Example from today before I walked out: Non-organic avacados, 'regular' priced at $2.99 and 'sale' priced at $1.99. Avacados have never ( except for a very short time several months ago ) been $2.99.

I bought a pork butt at Foster Ave store last weekend for about $1.25/lb at special card price, or whatever. Non-card price was $2.75/lb so this was a huge difference on an 8-pound item. The cashier immediately gave me the card price when I told her I didn't have a card - it was a very nice thing for that person to do, but I'm not going back to Mariano's anytime soon, even if it's a block from where I live.
  • Post #369 - July 9th, 2017, 6:25 pm
    Post #369 - July 9th, 2017, 6:25 pm Post #369 - July 9th, 2017, 6:25 pm
    KevinM wrote:The cashier immediately gave me the card price when I told her I didn't have a card . . .

Can one do this every time or do they eventually starting asking for your phone number so they can look up your account that way? I suppose one could create some sort of shopping avatar to take advantage of these programs without ever providing his or her actual information . . . 8)

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #370 - July 9th, 2017, 6:52 pm
    Post #370 - July 9th, 2017, 6:52 pm Post #370 - July 9th, 2017, 6:52 pm
    I don't believe that you can. I have emailed Mariano's and asked if they will allow me to shop without giving my info. Haven't heard back yet. When I tried to get a card in the store, the employee insisted on seeing ID, at which point I left. Mariano's will not be getting my personal info.
  • Post #371 - July 9th, 2017, 7:46 pm
    Post #371 - July 9th, 2017, 7:46 pm Post #371 - July 9th, 2017, 7:46 pm
    KevinM wrote:I bought a pork butt at Foster Ave store last weekend for about $1.25/lb at special card price, or whatever. Non-card price was $2.75/lb so this was a huge difference on an 8-pound item. The cashier immediately gave me the card price when I told her I didn't have a card - it was a very nice thing for that person to do, but I'm not going back to Mariano's anytime soon, even if it's a block from where I live.

And Jewel was selling pork butt for 77cents/lb at the same time.
  • Post #372 - July 9th, 2017, 8:22 pm
    Post #372 - July 9th, 2017, 8:22 pm Post #372 - July 9th, 2017, 8:22 pm
    Note that Jewel pork is usually if not always Hormel Always Tender aka prebrined.
  • Post #373 - July 9th, 2017, 10:00 pm
    Post #373 - July 9th, 2017, 10:00 pm Post #373 - July 9th, 2017, 10:00 pm
    For what it's worth, last time I was in a Mariano's (New City complex location), they gave me a card without asking for any info.
  • Post #374 - July 12th, 2017, 11:34 am
    Post #374 - July 12th, 2017, 11:34 am Post #374 - July 12th, 2017, 11:34 am
    Lenny007 wrote:
    KevinM wrote:I bought a pork butt at Foster Ave store last weekend for about $1.25/lb at special card price, or whatever. Non-card price was $2.75/lb so this was a huge difference on an 8-pound item. The cashier immediately gave me the card price when I told her I didn't have a card - it was a very nice thing for that person to do, but I'm not going back to Mariano's anytime soon, even if it's a block from where I live.

And Jewel was selling pork butt for 77cents/lb at the same time.

No thanks.
  • Post #375 - October 9th, 2017, 9:07 pm
    Post #375 - October 9th, 2017, 9:07 pm Post #375 - October 9th, 2017, 9:07 pm
    Ram4 wrote:Regarding the Bannockburn Dominick's, a friend of mine who works for Jewel heard that Mariano's doesn't want that store because the rent is astronomically high. Supposedly Mariano's may have acquired land across the street next to Beeson's Nursery in anticipation that Beeson's will sell and then Mariano's will have their own property to build on at Route 22 and Waukegan. I have also heard that Bannockburn is trying to woo Fresh Thyme Farmers Market (Phoenix-based chain) to replace Dominick's rather than open in the Cadwell's Corner mall in Deerfield. There is already a lawsuit from nearby homeowners that do not want Fresh Thyme opening right next to their homes in Deerfield.

The Bannockburn Mariano's opens tomorrow.
  • Post #376 - October 10th, 2017, 6:00 am
    Post #376 - October 10th, 2017, 6:00 am Post #376 - October 10th, 2017, 6:00 am
    And from the Mariano's brickbat category...

I was in the Vernon Hills store yesterday, mid-afternoon, wanting to buy only a couple items, and there were only 4 of maybe 16 registers open, lines of about 10 people in each, and not a manager to be found. One of the express lanes actually closed, leaving only three lines open!

Back in the day, at good ol' Dominick's store #24 at Oakton & Crawford in Skokie, there were only 6 registers total and if any line got long and there was an open register, one (or more) of the managers would freak out and hop to it by opening a register himself and ease the problem by whipping through some customers themselves until there was no line--this would happen multiple times a day. And all these managers were trained to check stuff faster than any cashier--remember these were the pre-scanning days. It was something to see--amazing what 12 cups of coffee can do!
    Last edited by jnm123 on October 11th, 2017, 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #377 - October 10th, 2017, 9:17 pm
    Post #377 - October 10th, 2017, 9:17 pm Post #377 - October 10th, 2017, 9:17 pm
    Man, Mariano's has gone down hill since the Kroger purchase... For 5 years, we did the vast majority of our shopping at Mariano's and raved about the store. But the past 6 months or so, it's become terrible. They are always out of basic stuff in produce. Literally 8 of the past 9 times I've visited, they've been out of things like cilantro, parsley, red onions, red cabbage, eating apples (I'd have settled for gala, fuji, pink lady, honeycrisp, etc. but the only apples in the store were granny smith or red delicious). Can never depend on them when I need to get my grocery shopping done... I've pretty much given up on them of late, returning to Jewel and Fresh Market Place.
  • Post #378 - October 10th, 2017, 10:51 pm
    Post #378 - October 10th, 2017, 10:51 pm Post #378 - October 10th, 2017, 10:51 pm
    blipsman wrote:but the only apples in the store were granny smith or red delicious).
    Odd, I was at the 5353 N Elston Mariano's today and, while I did not count the varieties, noted there were quite a few, at least 7, types of apples on hand.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #379 - October 11th, 2017, 5:39 am
    Post #379 - October 11th, 2017, 5:39 am Post #379 - October 11th, 2017, 5:39 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    blipsman wrote:but the only apples in the store were granny smith or red delicious).
    Odd, I was at the 5353 N Elston Mariano's today and, while I did not count the varieties, noted there were quite a few, at least 7, types of apples on hand.

I buy apples at the New City location (1500 N. Clybourn) frequently and they also always have at least 7-8 varieties available, I suppose a lot of it depends on the store's manager.
    Cookingblahg.blogspot.com
  • Post #380 - October 11th, 2017, 7:17 am
    Post #380 - October 11th, 2017, 7:17 am Post #380 - October 11th, 2017, 7:17 am
    Admittedly trivial question (but it interests me): Do any of the Mariano's have pianists anymore? It was kind of a signature for them, a microcosm of the "new kind of shopping experience." But now that I think of it, I can't recall seeing them lately in the locations I've been in.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #381 - October 11th, 2017, 7:19 am
    Post #381 - October 11th, 2017, 7:19 am Post #381 - October 11th, 2017, 7:19 am
    riddlemay wrote:Admittedly trivial question (but it interests me): Do any of the Mariano's have pianists anymore? It was kind of a signature for them, a microcosm of the "new kind of shopping experience." But now that I think of it, I can't recall seeing them lately in the locations I've been in.

Northbrook had one last week.
  • Post #382 - October 11th, 2017, 7:49 am
    Post #382 - October 11th, 2017, 7:49 am Post #382 - October 11th, 2017, 7:49 am
    Live music is about the only thing my local does right, had a real nice little polka outfit last week and the piano get regular use. There are a lot of seniors in the neighborhood and they really seem to enjoy the music.
  • Post #383 - October 11th, 2017, 8:03 am
    Post #383 - October 11th, 2017, 8:03 am Post #383 - October 11th, 2017, 8:03 am
    G Wiv wrote:

The last two times we've gone there they had no green onions, which is unfortunate because we had been using this spot as our primary produce store. If we have to make a one stop for staples, a second stop for produce, and a third stop for produce we couldn't find at the second stop, eventually we'll start skipping right past the second stop and go to the third.
  • Post #384 - October 11th, 2017, 8:07 am
    Post #384 - October 11th, 2017, 8:07 am Post #384 - October 11th, 2017, 8:07 am
    riddlemay wrote:Admittedly trivial question (but it interests me): Do any of the Mariano's have pianists anymore? It was kind of a signature for them, a microcosm of the "new kind of shopping experience." But now that I think of it, I can't recall seeing them lately in the locations I've been in.

AlekH wrote:Live music is about the only thing my local does right, had a real nice little polka outfit last week and the piano get regular use. There are a lot of seniors in the neighborhood and they really seem to enjoy the music.

They removed the piano at the Elston location.
  • Post #385 - October 11th, 2017, 8:12 am
    Post #385 - October 11th, 2017, 8:12 am Post #385 - October 11th, 2017, 8:12 am
    Drover wrote:

AlekH wrote:Live music is about the only thing my local does right, had a real nice little polka outfit last week and the piano get regular use. There are a lot of seniors in the neighborhood and they really seem to enjoy the music.

They removed the piano at the Elston location.

The Skokie store still has a piano and a live pianist during busy hours.
  • Post #386 - October 11th, 2017, 8:22 am
    Post #386 - October 11th, 2017, 8:22 am Post #386 - October 11th, 2017, 8:22 am
    Drover wrote:The last two times we've gone there they had no green onions

At the risk of sounding like a Mariano's apologist Elston had green onions yesterday as I bought some. The three places I tend to grocery shop, not exclusively but in general, are Fresh Farm's Niles, Mariano's Elston and Viet Hoa on Argyle.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #387 - October 11th, 2017, 9:36 am
    Post #387 - October 11th, 2017, 9:36 am Post #387 - October 11th, 2017, 9:36 am
    Stopped by the grand opening of the Bannockburn store yesterday. Prepared food and deli area was jammed but the rest of the store was pretty empty. Parking lot was almost full but zero wait at checkout.....in fact about a third of the lanes were staffed but empty. Lots of free samples. Great looking tomahawk ribeyes for $10/lb which is a good price even considering they are probably about half bone by weight.
    Interestingly, the Heinens across the street was busy too.

-Will
  • Post #388 - October 11th, 2017, 10:21 am
    Post #388 - October 11th, 2017, 10:21 am Post #388 - October 11th, 2017, 10:21 am
    WillG wrote:Stopped by the grand opening of the Bannockburn store yesterday. Prepared food and deli area was jammed but the rest of the store was pretty empty. Parking lot was almost full but zero wait at checkout.....in fact about a third of the lanes were staffed but empty. Lots of free samples. Great looking tomahawk ribeyes for $10/lb which is a good price even considering they are probably about half bone by weight.
    Interestingly, the Heinens across the street was busy too.

-Will
    Everything my friend (works for Jewel since 1984) said would happen with Mariano's has more or less happened so far. After the store opens they cut staff dramatically and the quality starts to go down. He would laugh and say it was just a Roundy's (now Kroger). They do have better prepared foods, soups and other things over Jewel. But I still tend to go to the Highland Park Jewel (or Sunset) for my everyday things. It's funny that the new Bannockburn store was packed (I went around lunch to get some soup and see if there was anything new), yet most people know what to expect. I guess new is always fun. And Mariano's always puts on a show at the grand openings.

This location has some new things. A Starbucks for one, while they moved the gelato to the sweet shop with the popcorn. The Todd's BBQ shares a space with a Taqueria. The eating area is smaller with the wine bar against the wall of windows up front. There seemed to be more organic options than other stores. No spice shop which I was hoping for. They have the Squeezed smoothie booth, Sushi, Grill station and a decent sized cheese area.

Honestly, like most stores, they lack things other stores have, which forces you to go elsewhere. So Heinen's and Sunset could benefit from offering things Mariano's doesn't. They had a display with four varieties of Lillie's Q potato chips. It reminded me that I wanted to buy a bag of their Carolina Dirt BBQ chips. Of course this Mariano's doesn't carry it. But I believe Sunset down the street does.
  • Post #389 - October 11th, 2017, 11:17 am
    Post #389 - October 11th, 2017, 11:17 am Post #389 - October 11th, 2017, 11:17 am
    I am a little surprised, jay, to hear about your experience with few checkout lanes being open at the Vernon Hills Mariano's. I've not yet seen that happen, and my impression so far has been that the managers stay on top of things well. I'd say that Mariano's does a better job of having enough checkout lines open than the nearest Jewel does.

I'd also rate both great about any employee you approach being able to tell you quickly how to find something and drop what they're doing to go with you to show you where to find it. Indeed, employees at both places are proactive about asking whether you need help finding anything. Overall, I like the service at the Vernon Hills Mariano's and Libertyville Jewel very much.

There's still a piano in the Vernon Hills store and often a live pianist. I remember that last time I was in the store I stopped to thank her for playing a song I particularly liked.

I agree that Mariano's doesn't have everything. I regularly (at least once a week) shop at the VH Mariano's and Libertyville Jewel, about equally, and occasionally (maybe once a month) stop at Sunset, Trader Joe's, and Aldi's.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #390 - October 11th, 2017, 7:01 pm
    Post #390 - October 11th, 2017, 7:01 pm Post #390 - October 11th, 2017, 7:01 pm
    Coogles wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:

I buy apples at the New City location (1500 N. Clybourn) frequently and they also always have at least 7-8 varieties available, I suppose a lot of it depends on the store's manager.

This was at the Bucktown (Webster & Ashland) store... and yes, usually they do have 7-8 varieties of apples, which is why it was so unbelievable that they were out of so many varieties they usually had. I could see being out of a variety they typically carry... but all of them?

After repeated issues with that store (and a couple discussions with the manager by email & phone), I started hitting other Mariano's when near them... but have had similar issues with the one in Greektown and the Roscoe Village one. And the South Loop one had all the items I needed, but apparently they couldn't be bothered to wrangle any carts from the parking lot so I had to go back out to a corral to get one myself.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more