LTH Home

What's with the price of brisket???

What's with the price of brisket???
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - October 3rd, 2016, 3:49 pm
    Post #91 - October 3rd, 2016, 3:49 pm Post #91 - October 3rd, 2016, 3:49 pm
    JoelF wrote:The only real downside to these prime briskets is that so much fat drips off them, that disposing of the Emil that is the water pan is a real peril.

Maybe a little trimming before smoking would be in order.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #92 - October 18th, 2016, 12:36 pm
    Post #92 - October 18th, 2016, 12:36 pm Post #92 - October 18th, 2016, 12:36 pm
    WillG wrote:Someone who knows a butcher at costco just told me that their beef supplier, i believe IBP, sells them some of their excess prime inventory at a very cheap price but with the caveat that they can only be sold as the whole cut in cryovac and cannot be broken down at all.

-Will

In our slow relocation from Chicago to Tennessee, my wife just picked up several prime Costco briskets from the Clybourn location to bring back. They were mixed in with a number of choice ones. She said they have Swift markings on them. I can't find where others have noted this. I wonder if this is a change?

FYI, they are not available at either Nashville area location. I tried an Excel branded one from a Walmart. The point turned out very nice but the flat was a bit dry. It was only my first try so it could be me not the meat but the flat seemed to have no intramuscular fat at all after smoking. I failed to look for it before.
  • Post #93 - October 30th, 2016, 5:11 pm
    Post #93 - October 30th, 2016, 5:11 pm Post #93 - October 30th, 2016, 5:11 pm
    Smoked (real wood) the Costco Prime Brisket Friday for 4 hours and finished in the oven.
    14 #'s, smallest I could find.
    Let chill, sliced and then into a slow cooker for service.
    Guys at my Club loved it served with our version of Walter Jetton's BBQ sauce.
    LOTS of both external and intramuscular fat, in fact more fat than even Wagyu briskets I have smoked.
    I plan on corning one for St Pat's Day.-Richard
  • Post #94 - March 27th, 2017, 10:06 am
    Post #94 - March 27th, 2017, 10:06 am Post #94 - March 27th, 2017, 10:06 am
    Time to plan for Passover again. I like the flavor and tenderness of a braised brisket, but think I'm missing something with texture. I wonder if there might be a way to get a crispier crust. Although I often sear first, not sure it makes much difference other than burning up the pan and adding color, since it softens again over the next several hours. With apologies for moving away from the specific title of this thread, here's my question: Has anyone tried searing brisket post-braise? Don't really have time or stomach space for a pre-holiday test run. Thanks.
  • Post #95 - March 27th, 2017, 10:40 am
    Post #95 - March 27th, 2017, 10:40 am Post #95 - March 27th, 2017, 10:40 am
    You might try cooking it uncovered for the last 20 min or so.

Searing before cooking helps develop flavor.

Smassey wrote:Time to plan for Passover again. I like the flavor and tenderness of a braised brisket, but think I'm missing something with texture. I wonder if there might be a way to get a crispier crust. Although I often sear first, not sure it makes much difference other than burning up the pan and adding color, since it softens again over the next several hours. With apologies for moving away from the specific title of this thread, here's my question: Has anyone tried searing brisket post-braise? Don't really have time or stomach space for a pre-holiday test run. Thanks.
  • Post #96 - April 3rd, 2017, 12:33 pm
    Post #96 - April 3rd, 2017, 12:33 pm Post #96 - April 3rd, 2017, 12:33 pm
    HI,

At the Costco in Kenosha, a few miles east of Woodmans on Rt 50, I saw full packer brisket for $2.99 a pound, prime.

There is no tax on food in Wisconsin.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #97 - April 3rd, 2017, 3:46 pm
    Post #97 - April 3rd, 2017, 3:46 pm Post #97 - April 3rd, 2017, 3:46 pm
    Got my regular 6.5# flat brisket at the Costco in Glenview for $4.39/lb in cryovac
    looks pretty good
    should be enough for Seder of 9 with only 7 meat-eaters
    :D
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #98 - September 6th, 2017, 12:59 pm
    Post #98 - September 6th, 2017, 12:59 pm Post #98 - September 6th, 2017, 12:59 pm
    Prime Packers are up to $3.49/lb at the Niles Costco. As recently as 8/10 (last time I saw them there) they were $2.79/lb with a $10 off per package discount so they could be had for as little as ~$2/lb if you got ones on the smaller side.

So pissed I rode my bike to work that day and couldn't stock up on them...they were gone the next day.
  • Post #99 - September 6th, 2017, 1:20 pm
    Post #99 - September 6th, 2017, 1:20 pm Post #99 - September 6th, 2017, 1:20 pm
    ziggy wrote:Prime Packers are up to $3.49/lb at the Niles Costco. As recently as 8/10 (last time I saw them there) they were $2.79/lb with a $10 off per package discount so they could be had for as little as ~$2/lb if you got ones on the smaller side.

So pissed I rode my bike to work that day and couldn't stock up on them...they were gone the next day.

Good to hear they are back in stock. They'd been out for months due to supply issues. Will have to head back and pick some up for the smoker.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more