LTH Home

Today's Discovery

Today's Discovery
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 6 of 6 
  • Post #151 - January 11th, 2018, 5:27 pm
    Post #151 - January 11th, 2018, 5:27 pm Post #151 - January 11th, 2018, 5:27 pm
    One of the free items at Jewel this weekend was a package of Sahale snacks. I got the glazed almonds with cranberries. All the others looked intriguing, as well. Really tasty. Will definitely add this to my list of snacks I'll consider buying in the future when I need something small but excellent.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #152 - January 15th, 2018, 2:47 pm
    Post #152 - January 15th, 2018, 2:47 pm Post #152 - January 15th, 2018, 2:47 pm
    Spurred on by the free Sahale honey almonds from Jewel last week, I bought a couple more flavors this week (all on sale). This time, I got maple pecans and pomegranate pistachios. Both are very nice. Think I might prefer the pistachios, but hard to say. Might have to do more research. :)

• Post #153 - January 20th, 2018, 10:47 pm
    Post #153 - January 20th, 2018, 10:47 pm Post #153 - January 20th, 2018, 10:47 pm
    Looking for frozen vegetables at Mariano's (spending a gift card), I ran across something unfamiliar, but which I decided to try. I know that it is a trend now to use chopped cauliflower in place of rice, but not being worried too much about carbs, I hadn't tried it. But the Alexia Cauliflower Risotto with Parmesan Cheese and Sea Salt sounded tasty. There is really no danger of this hurting the popularity of real risotto, but all in all, if one is looking for an easy, quick side dish, this was really tasty. It's pretty much cauliflower, cream, butter, cheese, and seasonings—so not really a surprise that it would taste good. Definitely not a low-cal dish, but if you're avoiding carbs, this might be the side dish of your dreams.

• Post #154 - February 4th, 2018, 9:35 pm
    Post #154 - February 4th, 2018, 9:35 pm Post #154 - February 4th, 2018, 9:35 pm
    Unbelievable. I've often thought there were some things that simply would never show up Chicagoland, however inclusive and exotic we became -- like fermented mare's milk. Seriously.

And yet there it was, at Garden Fresh in Buffalo Grove -- from Russia, rather than Mongolia, so called Kumis, rather than Airag. But with a picture of a horse and the translation beneath it "horse milk." And next to it, your choice of camel milk or goat milk.

So if you've always wanted to try it, here's your chance.

• Post #155 - February 4th, 2018, 9:54 pm
    Post #155 - February 4th, 2018, 9:54 pm Post #155 - February 4th, 2018, 9:54 pm
    Cynthia wrote:Unbelievable. I've often thought there were some things that simply would never show up Chicagoland, however inclusive and exotic we became -- like fermented mare's milk. Seriously.

And yet there it was, at Garden Fresh in Buffalo Grove -- from Russia, rather than Mongolia, so called Kumis, rather than Airag. But with a picture of a horse and the translation beneath it "horse milk." And next to it, your choice of camel milk or goat milk.

So if you've always wanted to try it, here's your chance.

But is it real?
  • Post #156 - February 4th, 2018, 11:09 pm
    Post #156 - February 4th, 2018, 11:09 pm Post #156 - February 4th, 2018, 11:09 pm
    Cynthia wrote:Unbelievable. I've often thought there were some things that simply would never show up Chicagoland, however inclusive and exotic we became -- like fermented mare's milk. Seriously.

I think I've seen camel milk at Fresh Farms (Niles north). Is it true that unfermented mare's milk is severely laxative?
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #157 - February 5th, 2018, 12:47 am
    Post #157 - February 5th, 2018, 12:47 am Post #157 - February 5th, 2018, 12:47 am
    JoelF wrote:I think I've seen camel milk at Fresh Farms (Niles north). Is it true that unfermented mare's milk is severely laxative?

I have no idea, as all the mare's milk I drank in Mongolia was fermented. The one thing that I found interesting about it is that mare's milk is very high in vitamin C, which is why the Mongols who live traditionally are so healthy even though they just have meat and dairy.

• Post #158 - February 5th, 2018, 10:34 am
    Post #158 - February 5th, 2018, 10:34 am Post #158 - February 5th, 2018, 10:34 am
    JoelF wrote:I think I've seen camel milk at Fresh Farms (Niles north).

To veer slightly....
    Do you mean Fresh Farms on Touhy or Fresh Farms on Golf?
    I'd suggest we refer to them as FF east and FF west, since Golf is actually north of Touhy.
    [I shop at the one on Golf when I can't handle the thought of the crowds at Touhy. The Touhy location is undoubtedly the superior one, but the Golf one is still better than the other area grocery stores. Although, to veer further, the Tony's on Greenwood is pretty good.]

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #159 - February 5th, 2018, 11:08 am
    Post #159 - February 5th, 2018, 11:08 am Post #159 - February 5th, 2018, 11:08 am
    For me, calling them FF Niles north and FF Niles south is more helpful. Or just FF Golf and FF Touhy.
    "I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
  • Post #160 - February 6th, 2018, 2:01 pm
    Post #160 - February 6th, 2018, 2:01 pm Post #160 - February 6th, 2018, 2:01 pm
    Katie wrote:For me, calling them FF Niles north and FF Niles south is more helpful. Or just FF Golf and FF Touhy.

This
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #161 - February 16th, 2018, 12:09 am
    Post #161 - February 16th, 2018, 12:09 am Post #161 - February 16th, 2018, 12:09 am
    Lebanon Valley Eggplant Dip (aka Babaganoush). Canned.

Imported from Lebanon by a company in Dearborn, MI.

Available at Walmart. Really good.

• Post #162 - 30 minutes ago
    Post #162 - 30 minutes ago Post #162 - 30 minutes ago
    When I shop at a store with options from many countries, along with whatever is on my shopping list, I always try to grab something I've never tried before. This week, at Tony's Fresh Market (formerly Tony's Finer Foods) I found a little niche with a few kinds of Hungarian egg noodles. I had a roasted chicken carcass in the fridge waiting to be turned into soup, so the ultra-thin Hungarian soup noodles seemed to be the perfect choice.

These lovely, skinny noodles are mighty quick cooking. Directions say add to simmering soup, bring back to boil, cook for 1/2 minute, then remove pot from heat and cover. In two minutes, the noodles are done. I think the noodles more than doubled in size -- though seemed actually to increase in number rather than in width.

Not an "oh, my gosh, you have to try this" item, like some of the things I've posted about, but definitely a fun addition to the larder.

And speaking of the name change for Tony's -- I used to say, not quite jokingly, that if the name of a store included "fresh" or "produce," it was almost certainly one of the big, multi-ethnic food emporia that are such a delight to those of us who like experimentation and exploration. (Thinking of Valli Produce, Produce World, Fresh Farms, Harvest Fresh, EuroFresh, Barrio Fresh, etc.) Tony's was the exception, with "Finer Foods." But now, it is "Fresh Market" -- and I can't help but wonder if it was to align with that "fresh" naming tradition.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more