LTH Home

Today's Discovery

Today's Discovery
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 6 of 13
  • Post #151 - January 11th, 2018, 4:27 pm
    Post #151 - January 11th, 2018, 4:27 pm Post #151 - January 11th, 2018, 4:27 pm
    One of the free items at Jewel this weekend was a package of Sahale snacks. I got the glazed almonds with cranberries. All the others looked intriguing, as well. Really tasty. Will definitely add this to my list of snacks I'll consider buying in the future when I need something small but excellent.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #152 - January 15th, 2018, 1:47 pm
    Post #152 - January 15th, 2018, 1:47 pm Post #152 - January 15th, 2018, 1:47 pm
    Spurred on by the free Sahale honey almonds from Jewel last week, I bought a couple more flavors this week (all on sale). This time, I got maple pecans and pomegranate pistachios. Both are very nice. Think I might prefer the pistachios, but hard to say. Might have to do more research. :)

• Post #153 - January 20th, 2018, 9:47 pm
    Post #153 - January 20th, 2018, 9:47 pm Post #153 - January 20th, 2018, 9:47 pm
    Looking for frozen vegetables at Mariano's (spending a gift card), I ran across something unfamiliar, but which I decided to try. I know that it is a trend now to use chopped cauliflower in place of rice, but not being worried too much about carbs, I hadn't tried it. But the Alexia Cauliflower Risotto with Parmesan Cheese and Sea Salt sounded tasty. There is really no danger of this hurting the popularity of real risotto, but all in all, if one is looking for an easy, quick side dish, this was really tasty. It's pretty much cauliflower, cream, butter, cheese, and seasonings—so not really a surprise that it would taste good. Definitely not a low-cal dish, but if you're avoiding carbs, this might be the side dish of your dreams.

• Post #154 - February 4th, 2018, 8:35 pm
    Post #154 - February 4th, 2018, 8:35 pm Post #154 - February 4th, 2018, 8:35 pm
    Unbelievable. I've often thought there were some things that simply would never show up Chicagoland, however inclusive and exotic we became -- like fermented mare's milk. Seriously.

And yet there it was, at Garden Fresh in Buffalo Grove -- from Russia, rather than Mongolia, so called Kumis, rather than Airag. But with a picture of a horse and the translation beneath it "horse milk." And next to it, your choice of camel milk or goat milk.

So if you've always wanted to try it, here's your chance.

• Post #155 - February 4th, 2018, 8:54 pm
    Post #155 - February 4th, 2018, 8:54 pm Post #155 - February 4th, 2018, 8:54 pm
    Cynthia wrote:Unbelievable. I've often thought there were some things that simply would never show up Chicagoland, however inclusive and exotic we became -- like fermented mare's milk. Seriously.

And yet there it was, at Garden Fresh in Buffalo Grove -- from Russia, rather than Mongolia, so called Kumis, rather than Airag. But with a picture of a horse and the translation beneath it "horse milk." And next to it, your choice of camel milk or goat milk.

So if you've always wanted to try it, here's your chance.

But is it real?
  • Post #156 - February 4th, 2018, 10:09 pm
    Post #156 - February 4th, 2018, 10:09 pm Post #156 - February 4th, 2018, 10:09 pm
    Cynthia wrote:Unbelievable. I've often thought there were some things that simply would never show up Chicagoland, however inclusive and exotic we became -- like fermented mare's milk. Seriously.

I think I've seen camel milk at Fresh Farms (Niles north). Is it true that unfermented mare's milk is severely laxative?
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #157 - February 4th, 2018, 11:47 pm
    Post #157 - February 4th, 2018, 11:47 pm Post #157 - February 4th, 2018, 11:47 pm
    JoelF wrote:I think I've seen camel milk at Fresh Farms (Niles north). Is it true that unfermented mare's milk is severely laxative?

I have no idea, as all the mare's milk I drank in Mongolia was fermented. The one thing that I found interesting about it is that mare's milk is very high in vitamin C, which is why the Mongols who live traditionally are so healthy even though they just have meat and dairy.

• Post #158 - February 5th, 2018, 9:34 am
    Post #158 - February 5th, 2018, 9:34 am Post #158 - February 5th, 2018, 9:34 am
    JoelF wrote:I think I've seen camel milk at Fresh Farms (Niles north).

To veer slightly....
    Do you mean Fresh Farms on Touhy or Fresh Farms on Golf?
    I'd suggest we refer to them as FF east and FF west, since Golf is actually north of Touhy.
    [I shop at the one on Golf when I can't handle the thought of the crowds at Touhy. The Touhy location is undoubtedly the superior one, but the Golf one is still better than the other area grocery stores. Although, to veer further, the Tony's on Greenwood is pretty good.]

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #159 - February 5th, 2018, 10:08 am
    Post #159 - February 5th, 2018, 10:08 am Post #159 - February 5th, 2018, 10:08 am
    For me, calling them FF Niles north and FF Niles south is more helpful. Or just FF Golf and FF Touhy.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #160 - February 6th, 2018, 1:01 pm
    Post #160 - February 6th, 2018, 1:01 pm Post #160 - February 6th, 2018, 1:01 pm
    Katie wrote:For me, calling them FF Niles north and FF Niles south is more helpful. Or just FF Golf and FF Touhy.

This
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #161 - February 15th, 2018, 11:09 pm
    Post #161 - February 15th, 2018, 11:09 pm Post #161 - February 15th, 2018, 11:09 pm
    Lebanon Valley Eggplant Dip (aka Babaganoush). Canned.

Imported from Lebanon by a company in Dearborn, MI.

Available at Walmart. Really good.

• Post #162 - February 21st, 2018, 6:17 pm
    Post #162 - February 21st, 2018, 6:17 pm Post #162 - February 21st, 2018, 6:17 pm
    When I shop at a store with options from many countries, along with whatever is on my shopping list, I always try to grab something I've never tried before. This week, at Tony's Fresh Market (formerly Tony's Finer Foods) I found a little niche with a few kinds of Hungarian egg noodles. I had a roasted chicken carcass in the fridge waiting to be turned into soup, so the ultra-thin Hungarian soup noodles seemed to be the perfect choice.

These lovely, skinny noodles are mighty quick cooking. Directions say add to simmering soup, bring back to boil, cook for 1/2 minute, then remove pot from heat and cover. In two minutes, the noodles are done. I think the noodles more than doubled in size -- though seemed actually to increase in number rather than in width.

Not an "oh, my gosh, you have to try this" item, like some of the things I've posted about, but definitely a fun addition to the larder.

And speaking of the name change for Tony's -- I used to say, not quite jokingly, that if the name of a store included "fresh" or "produce," it was almost certainly one of the big, multi-ethnic food emporia that are such a delight to those of us who like experimentation and exploration. (Thinking of Valli Produce, Produce World, Fresh Farms, Harvest Fresh, EuroFresh, Barrio Fresh, etc.) Tony's was the exception, with "Finer Foods." But now, it is "Fresh Market" -- and I can't help but wonder if it was to align with that "fresh" naming tradition.

• Post #163 - March 13th, 2018, 1:18 pm
    Post #163 - March 13th, 2018, 1:18 pm Post #163 - March 13th, 2018, 1:18 pm
    Liberté organic Philippine Coconut yogurt. Yum. (At least if you really love coconut.)

• Post #164 - March 20th, 2018, 2:24 pm
    Post #164 - March 20th, 2018, 2:24 pm Post #164 - March 20th, 2018, 2:24 pm
    Topoloveni Magiun de prune (plum spread or butter), found at Fresh Farms on Touhy. This Romanian product is pure plums (no sugar) and is quite thick and a nice mix of sweet and tart. I like it with good cream cheese on an English muffin.
    It even has its own Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/magiunPruneTopoloveni/
  • Post #165 - March 23rd, 2018, 12:16 am
    Post #165 - March 23rd, 2018, 12:16 am Post #165 - March 23rd, 2018, 12:16 am
    Every once in a while, I try a new product that I find while walking through the grocery stores in the area. In the last week, I tried a couple.

The first item was Burts Potato Chips' Guinness flavored potato chips. The potato chips were fairly thick and had a very strong flavor of Guinness Stout. If you like Guinness, you will like these chips. I am not as keen on that flavor. However, I am going to try to make something with them as they are really good when dipped in a hearty BBQ sauce. Not a bad pick-up for $0.99 at the local Kroger's bargain bin.

www.burtschips.com

The second item is actually a new product recently carried by Kroger stores, Saverne Artisanal Kraut. It comes in a 16 oz jar. We really like the Craft beer flavored variety and have used it in several of my MIL's traditional sauerkraut recipes. You can really taste the beer and there is a good amount of caraway.

www.saverneproducts.com
  • Post #166 - March 23rd, 2018, 10:14 am
    Post #166 - March 23rd, 2018, 10:14 am Post #166 - March 23rd, 2018, 10:14 am
    Hi,

I enjoyed those same Guinness potato chips a few weeks ago. They are indeed very good.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #167 - April 6th, 2018, 3:23 pm
    Post #167 - April 6th, 2018, 3:23 pm Post #167 - April 6th, 2018, 3:23 pm
    Picked up a package of Naturalne Zbozowe at KD Market. These look a bit like the rice crackers one finds in the "gluten free" aisle. The name is kind of translated on the package as "Cereal biscuits without wheat flour." What they are is sesame and sunflower seed "cookies" about the size of a silver dollar. I had actually expected savory, based on their appearance, but they are in fact just a bit sweet and are the sort of thing that is perfect for afternoon tea or sitting around sipping coffee with friends. But a pleasant discovery.

• Post #168 - April 17th, 2018, 2:04 pm
    Post #168 - April 17th, 2018, 2:04 pm Post #168 - April 17th, 2018, 2:04 pm
    Trader Joe's Whole Grain Crispbread. Sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, whole-meal rye, oat bran, oatmeal, flax seed, spelt bran, wheat bran, sea salt, oregano, thyme.

Intensely crunchy and better than anything else I've ever seen defined as crispbread.

• Post #169 - April 21st, 2018, 4:20 pm
    Post #169 - April 21st, 2018, 4:20 pm Post #169 - April 21st, 2018, 4:20 pm
    Red Rock Deli Red Curry Coconut potato chips.

I really didn't expect these to be as good as they are -- but they really taste of coconut and red curry -- and potato.

In a stand-alone display at Jewel, so possibly just being introduced to see if they sell. Not a replacement for a good plate of curry, but a mighty tasty variation on a traditional crunchy snack.

• Post #170 - May 12th, 2018, 5:12 pm
    Post #170 - May 12th, 2018, 5:12 pm Post #170 - May 12th, 2018, 5:12 pm
    Today's discovery is that I don't like 80 calorie a pint "ice cream." Since I only have ice cream a couple of times a year, I'll hold out for the good stuff.

• Post #171 - June 19th, 2018, 4:03 pm
    Post #171 - June 19th, 2018, 4:03 pm Post #171 - June 19th, 2018, 4:03 pm
    DANG Sticky-Rice Chips, Sriracha flavor. Made in Thailand, distributed in U.S. by Dang Foods.

Package reads "Dang, that's good!" -- and I had to agree. Very tasty when you need something crunchy. Light touch with the Sriracha, so no need to be fearful (though those who like blinding pain might be disappointed). Not worth going out of your way, but if you see some and want something pleasant and crunchy but don't necessarily want the same old thing, they fill the bill.

• Post #172 - June 20th, 2018, 8:54 pm
    Post #172 - June 20th, 2018, 8:54 pm Post #172 - June 20th, 2018, 8:54 pm
    I've always been curious about the little foil containers of pasztet (Polish paté) that line the shelves of a lot of the stores that cater to an Eastern European clientele. They're not refrigerated and they're dead cheap. So I picked one up during my last visit to Valli -- got Profi brand pasztet wiejski z grzybami. I'm not even going to guess at the pronunciation, but I do know that means country paté with mushrooms. Now this is not going to fool anyone into believing you got it at an upscale French restaurant -- but it's actually surprisingly tasty -- no stronger than good liver sausage, but far more silken, and this one was dotted with little bits of mushroom. Not going to change your life, but it's a nice treat at a bargain price, should you be craving a bit of paté.

• Post #173 - June 21st, 2018, 6:45 pm
    Post #173 - June 21st, 2018, 6:45 pm Post #173 - June 21st, 2018, 6:45 pm
    Cynthia wrote:I've always been curious about the little foil containers of pasztet (Polish paté) that line the shelves of a lot of the stores that cater to an Eastern European clientele.
    I like keeping a few of those little Profi hams in my desk drawer at work for a quick snack.
  • Post #174 - June 21st, 2018, 7:10 pm
    Post #174 - June 21st, 2018, 7:10 pm Post #174 - June 21st, 2018, 7:10 pm
    Cynthia wrote:I've always been curious about the little foil containers of pasztet (Polish paté) that line the shelves of a lot of the stores that cater to an Eastern European clientele ... it's actually surprisingly tasty -- no stronger than good liver sausage, but far more silken ... it's a nice treat at a bargain price, should you be craving a bit of paté.

I first came across these, in various flavors (goose liver, duck liver, pork liver, mushroom, even wild boar) when I lived in Santiago, Chile, and made them part of my Sunday afternoon routine. Back then, most businesses in Chile weren't open on Sundays, so Sunday afternoons were spent relaxing, snacking --- empanadas, bread, paté, pebre, avocados, cheese, and of course, wine --- and chatting with friends and family. As I recall, the tinned patés I came across in Chile were locally made. There's no particular Polish cultural presence in Chile, but there is a German one, so maybe that's what made them popular there. Since I've moved back, I've found a wide variety of flavors of them at the nearest Garden Fresh Market, and although I haven't studied them closely, it's my impression that they're Polish products.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #175 - June 21st, 2018, 7:34 pm
    Post #175 - June 21st, 2018, 7:34 pm Post #175 - June 21st, 2018, 7:34 pm
    Katie wrote:I've found a wide variety of flavors of them at the nearest Garden Fresh Market, and although I haven't studied them closely, it's my impression that they're Polish products.

The ones I've seen are definitely "Product of Poland." I agree, Garden Fresh is a great resource. In addition, KD Markets, which are very heavily Polish, also carry a wide range -- along with a lot of other Polish goodies. (Both are also great places for "ends," the meat ends sold at discount, which offers a great way to sample deli products at bargain prices.)

Now that I've discovered one, I'll be trying others. Very useful, being able to have a little paté handy for "emergencies."

• Post #176 - July 2nd, 2018, 8:48 pm
    Post #176 - July 2nd, 2018, 8:48 pm Post #176 - July 2nd, 2018, 8:48 pm
    Midnight Moon aged goat cheese, similar to gouda, by Cypress Grove Creamery in California, on sale at Mariano's.
    One of the best cheeses I have ever tasted.
  • Post #177 - July 3rd, 2018, 12:48 pm
    Post #177 - July 3rd, 2018, 12:48 pm Post #177 - July 3rd, 2018, 12:48 pm
    TomInSkokie wrote:Midnight Moon aged goat cheese, similar to gouda, by Cypress Grove Creamery in California, on sale at Mariano's.

Thanks for the heads up. Cypress Grove has some impressive cheeses. Sounds like they're just getting better.

• Post #178 - July 5th, 2018, 9:04 am
    Post #178 - July 5th, 2018, 9:04 am Post #178 - July 5th, 2018, 9:04 am
    TomInSkokie wrote:Midnight Moon aged goat cheese, similar to gouda, by Cypress Grove Creamery in California, on sale at Mariano's.
    Very nice indeed, though I was hoping for a bit more in the protein crystal crunch department. Healthy discount as stated. Thanks for the heads up Tom. As an aside, for the vegetarians in the bunch, its made with vegetarian rennet.
    CypressGrove1.jpg Cypress Grove Midnight Moon
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #179 - July 5th, 2018, 3:10 pm
    Post #179 - July 5th, 2018, 3:10 pm Post #179 - July 5th, 2018, 3:10 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Very nice indeed, though I was hoping for a bit more in the protein crystal crunch department.

Maybe it's something about goat, but I don't think I've ever got crystal crunchiness in a goat cheese, no matter how aged.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #180 - July 5th, 2018, 3:21 pm
    Post #180 - July 5th, 2018, 3:21 pm Post #180 - July 5th, 2018, 3:21 pm
    JoelF wrote:Maybe it's something about goat, but I don't think I've ever got crystal crunchiness in a goat cheese, no matter how aged.
    From the Cypress Grove web site. Midnight Moon®
    Aged six months or more, Midnight Moon is a blushing, ivory-colored cheese that’s nutty and brown buttery up front with a long caramel finish. As the cheese ages, protein crystals form and lend a slight crunch to the otherwise dense and smooth cheese. Midnight Moon is made in Holland exclusively for Cypress Grove.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more