LTH Home

Today's Discovery

Today's Discovery
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 13
  • Post #31 - September 22nd, 2015, 6:33 pm
    Post #31 - September 22nd, 2015, 6:33 pm Post #31 - September 22nd, 2015, 6:33 pm
    Is this it, Cynthia?

https://store.mitsuwa.com/chili-oil-wit ... p2717.aspx

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #32 - September 22nd, 2015, 8:28 pm
    Post #32 - September 22nd, 2015, 8:28 pm Post #32 - September 22nd, 2015, 8:28 pm

Maybe. One line of characters matches, one doesn't. Bottle looks similar, but lid is different -- though that could be because the plastic seal has been torn off my jar.

Plus the label that is in English says "Crunchy Garlic Topping."

So possibly the same thing, but not obviously the same thing.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #33 - September 25th, 2015, 12:34 pm
    Post #33 - September 25th, 2015, 12:34 pm Post #33 - September 25th, 2015, 12:34 pm
    It arrived Cynthia. The lid rim is reddish-orange and it says "Crunchy Garlic Topping." Smells great! Hot noodles coming right up!

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #34 - September 25th, 2015, 2:02 pm
    Post #34 - September 25th, 2015, 2:02 pm Post #34 - September 25th, 2015, 2:02 pm
    Geo wrote:It arrived Cynthia. The lid rim is reddish-orange and it says "Crunchy Garlic Topping." Smells great! Hot noodles coming right up!

Geo

Splendid. Hope you like it as much as I did.

• Post #35 - September 25th, 2015, 2:12 pm
    Post #35 - September 25th, 2015, 2:12 pm Post #35 - September 25th, 2015, 2:12 pm
    Mmmm! That's awfully tasty Cynthia!! I could easily get addicted to it. Doesn't take much--I used about a teaspoon for a ramen-sized noodle brick. One thing I will change: I'll cook my noodles in salted/soy sauce water--the paste is surprisingly unsalty.

Tnx so much for sharing your discovery!!

Geo
  • Post #36 - September 25th, 2015, 2:42 pm
    Post #36 - September 25th, 2015, 2:42 pm Post #36 - September 25th, 2015, 2:42 pm
    Geo wrote:Mmmm! That's awfully tasty Cynthia!! I could easily get addicted to it. Doesn't take much--I used about a teaspoon for a ramen-sized noodle brick. One thing I will change: I'll cook my noodles in salted/soy sauce water--the paste is surprisingly unsalty.

Tnx so much for sharing your discovery!!

Geo

My pleasure. Glad you enjoyed it. And I agree -- it is addicting.

• Post #37 - December 4th, 2015, 8:49 am
    Post #37 - December 4th, 2015, 8:49 am Post #37 - December 4th, 2015, 8:49 am
    Riga Smoked Sprats. Very smokey, tender and very tasty. They are about the size of a sardine, but bring much more flavor to the table. They are available in both jars and small tins. Regret that somehow I haven't known about these sooner.
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #38 - December 4th, 2015, 9:43 am
    Post #38 - December 4th, 2015, 9:43 am Post #38 - December 4th, 2015, 9:43 am
    Ahhh, Riga sprats! First had those in Leningrad/St. Pete in 1990 at a hotel breakfast. They were really, really hard to find in the US at the time. But then an Eastern European/Ukranian/Russian speciality store opened in KC and I was totally set.

There's nothing like them. Best 'little fishes' in the world. Enjoy, bw77!

Geo
  • Post #39 - December 4th, 2015, 2:29 pm
    Post #39 - December 4th, 2015, 2:29 pm Post #39 - December 4th, 2015, 2:29 pm
    Geo wrote:Ahhh, Riga sprats! First had those in Leningrad/St. Pete in 1990 at a hotel breakfast. They were really, really hard to find in the US at the time. But then an Eastern European/Ukranian/Russian speciality store opened in KC and I was totally set.

There's nothing like them. Best 'little fishes' in the world. Enjoy, bw77!

Geo

Now they're even available from amazon.

(But patronize a local vendor if possible!)
    fine words butter no parsnips
  • Post #40 - December 4th, 2015, 3:17 pm
    Post #40 - December 4th, 2015, 3:17 pm Post #40 - December 4th, 2015, 3:17 pm
    In Montréal I've got a Russian bakery/deli about a km away--all my sprats needs satisfied!! :)

Geo
  • Post #41 - December 4th, 2015, 8:11 pm
    Post #41 - December 4th, 2015, 8:11 pm Post #41 - December 4th, 2015, 8:11 pm
    Riga sprats: Pretty easy to find around here. Check Tony's. Or Jewel. Their website shows only 55 or so Chicago stores have them on the shelf. 8) I like em and they are just about in every grocery store (except the oddly out of touch whole foods).
  • Post #42 - December 4th, 2015, 11:11 pm
    Post #42 - December 4th, 2015, 11:11 pm Post #42 - December 4th, 2015, 11:11 pm
    JeffB wrote:Riga sprats: Pretty easy to find around here. Check Tony's. Or Jewel. Their website shows only 55 or so Chicago stores have them on the shelf. 8) I like em and they are just about in every grocery store (except the oddly out of touch whole foods).

My Dad loves these. We have seen them at Jerry's in Niles and Lewis Market in Waukegan. When he leaves a half finished can in the refrigerator, they have at least three wrappings of plastic to prevent odor creep.

They have a sprat pate, which my Dad bought a number of cans. He didn't like them, but soldiered through them anyway. I was advised not to think of buying them, not that I ever did.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #43 - January 13th, 2016, 12:56 pm
    Post #43 - January 13th, 2016, 12:56 pm Post #43 - January 13th, 2016, 12:56 pm
    I've used Better than Bouillon for years, but up until a couple of days ago, I'd only ever seen Beef, Chicken, and Ham. But when I stopped in at Valli Produce on Monday, I found that they had Better than Bouillon LOBSTER. And first ingredient in list of ingredients is actually lobster. Same price is beef and chicken. Had to get it.

Today, just to test it out before saying anything about it, I made a cup of broth. It was salty, as these things tend to be, but I added some coconut milk (didn't have regular), to turn it into more of a bisque -- and it's really good.

So if you're making something that requires a lobster broth/stock, this might be the answer. Or if you just want a nice bisque, this could help, too. (There is actually a full recipe for making lobster bisque on the jar.) Is it the same as making it from scratch at home with a pile of shells -- of course not. But for something out of a jar, it's mighty tasty, and I can see it being useful in a lot of applications where one would want a seafood base.
    Last edited by Cynthia on April 6th, 2016, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Post #44 - January 13th, 2016, 1:09 pm
    Post #44 - January 13th, 2016, 1:09 pm Post #44 - January 13th, 2016, 1:09 pm
    Yes, the lobster base is quite useful. I discovered it a few years ago, and many a bisque owes its creation to it. When I found out what a great range of products they have, I ended up trying everything. The clam base is excellent, and so is the fish. Ditto mushroom, ham, roasted garlic. You can order directly from them, or get almost everything from Amazon, IIRC.

The only one that doesn't taste faithfully true-to-type is the beef; it's good but not as good, say, as the chicken. But that seems to be the conclusion that Cook's Illustrated reached: beef products rarely measure up in the stock or base.

http://www.betterthanbouillon.com/products/

Geo
  • Post #45 - January 13th, 2016, 3:22 pm
    Post #45 - January 13th, 2016, 3:22 pm Post #45 - January 13th, 2016, 3:22 pm
    I have been a fan of BtB products for years. I bought the lobster base for the first time a few months ago for a recipe and still have most of it; this is a good reminder to use it. You liked it with coconut milk, Cynthia? Would you recommend that or just adding some cream instead? I could use some ideas for how to use it. Thanks, Geo, for posting the link; I didn't know about some of those products and would like to try more of them.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #46 - January 13th, 2016, 4:21 pm
    Post #46 - January 13th, 2016, 4:21 pm Post #46 - January 13th, 2016, 4:21 pm
    Cynthia wrote:I've used Better than Bouillon for years, but up until a couple of days ago, I'd only ever seen Beef, Chicken, and Ham. But when I stopped in at Valli Produce on Monday, I found that they had Better than Bouillon LOBSTER. And first ingredient in list of ingredients is actually lobster. Same price is beef and chicken. Had to get it.

Today, just to test it out before saying anything about it, I made a cup of broth. It was, as these things tend to be, but I added some coconut milk (didn't have regular), to turn it into more of a bisque -- and it's really good.

So if you're making something that requires a lobster broth/stock, this might be the answer. Or if you just want a nice bisque, this could help, too. (There is actually a full recipe for making lobster bisque on the jar.) Is it the same as making it from scratch at home with a pile of shells -- of course not. But for something out of a jar, it's mighty tasty, and I can see it being useful in a lot of applications where one would want a seafood base.

good to know, thanks. i'm a big fan of the chicken and the vegetable; both available in large jars at costco. i'll have to look for the lobster base.
  • Post #47 - January 13th, 2016, 10:19 pm
    Post #47 - January 13th, 2016, 10:19 pm Post #47 - January 13th, 2016, 10:19 pm
    Katie wrote:I have been a fan of BtB products for years. I bought the lobster base for the first time a few months ago for a recipe and still have most of it; this is a good reminder to use it. You liked it with coconut milk, Cynthia? Would you recommend that or just adding some cream instead? I could use some ideas for how to use it. Thanks, Geo, for posting the link; I didn't know about some of those products and would like to try more of them.

I used coconut milk because that is what I had on hand. But yes -- I would recommend it -- IF you like a SE Asian taste profile. I've had enough fish curries for this, even without any spices added, to taste familiar. But if I were making a real bisque, I'd go for cream. I was just eager to try it -- but it was a bit too salty without some "softening."

• Post #48 - January 14th, 2016, 10:20 am
    Post #48 - January 14th, 2016, 10:20 am Post #48 - January 14th, 2016, 10:20 am
    That's an interesting idea Cynthia--I could see making a sort of a tom yum variant with cocoanut milk, the lobster base, and some shrimp. That could end up quite nice.

Huh. Just thought of something: Wonder why BtB doesn't have a shrimp base? I've seen it in cubes from Mexico, probably Knorr. Pretty salty, IIRC. Seems it would be a natch for BtB...

Geo
  • Post #49 - January 14th, 2016, 12:55 pm
    Post #49 - January 14th, 2016, 12:55 pm Post #49 - January 14th, 2016, 12:55 pm
    Geo wrote:That's an interesting idea Cynthia--I could see making a sort of a tom yum variant with cocoanut milk, the lobster base, and some shrimp. That could end up quite nice.

Huh. Just thought of something: Wonder why BtB doesn't have a shrimp base? I've seen it in cubes from Mexico, probably Knorr. Pretty salty, IIRC. Seems it would be a natch for BtB...

Geo

Shrimp base sounds nice -- but what I'd really like to see is lamb. They have lamb stock cubes in Great Britain. Surely there are now enough people in the U.S. who like lamb to justify a BtB lamb base.

• Post #50 - January 14th, 2016, 1:15 pm
    Post #50 - January 14th, 2016, 1:15 pm Post #50 - January 14th, 2016, 1:15 pm
    I totally agree Cynthia! I've brought home the Knorr cubes from the UK many a time. And I can get cubes at a couple of the Middle Eastern groceries here in Montréal.

I think that lamb consumption in the US has fallen below the horizon, and wouldn't be a money-maker for a mass market firm like BtB. But I've found a lamb base which, while expensive, certainly works well enough. (I think there's only one company who makes this product, but it is sold under a number of labels--this is the most accessible size).

http://www.soupbase.com/Chefs-Ingredient-Lamb-Base-No-Added-MSG-16-oz/productinfo/CLB/

Interesting: I just checked Amazon and they have the Knorr British cubes, but they're expensive, too:

http://www.amazon.com/Knorr-Lamb-Stock-Cubes-Pack/dp/B005LLZHU6

Geo
  • Post #51 - January 14th, 2016, 4:45 pm
    Post #51 - January 14th, 2016, 4:45 pm Post #51 - January 14th, 2016, 4:45 pm
    Thanks, Geo.

And yes -- lamb cubes are a bit pricey. Maybe I'll just go buy a leg of lamb and make my own base. :)

• Post #52 - January 14th, 2016, 4:48 pm
    Post #52 - January 14th, 2016, 4:48 pm Post #52 - January 14th, 2016, 4:48 pm
    Actually -- further on lamb base in Canada -- that might explain why I could find roast-lamb flavored potato chips last time I was north of the border. (Actually, found a few flavors of chips one wouldn't see here in the states.) They were yummy and amazingly lamby -- but if they've got a market for the base, that might explain the chips.

And next time I'm in the city, I'll check out the Middle Eastern places. Out here, in the 'burbs," we've got a lot of Asian and Hispanic grocers, but the Middle Eastern stuff is usually just part of one aisle in the multi-ethnic places. Looked there, and no luck. But thanks for the encouragement.

• Post #53 - January 16th, 2016, 11:22 pm
    Post #53 - January 16th, 2016, 11:22 pm Post #53 - January 16th, 2016, 11:22 pm
    Thanks to this thread, I followed a hunch and checked Shop and Save on Devon/Nagle/Milwaukee, across from Superdawg.
    I can verify they have the following:
    Clam;
    Lobster;
    Beef;
    Chicken;
    Vegetable;
    Ham;
    Roast beef;
    Fish;
    Mushroom;
    Turkey;
    'Au Jus;'

Edit: Each is about $5
  • Post #54 - January 17th, 2016, 9:20 am
    Post #54 - January 17th, 2016, 9:20 am Post #54 - January 17th, 2016, 9:20 am
    Wow, Brendan, that's the best range I've *ever* seen in one place. Amazing! Bien fait!

Geo
  • Post #55 - January 17th, 2016, 2:20 pm
    Post #55 - January 17th, 2016, 2:20 pm Post #55 - January 17th, 2016, 2:20 pm
    Apologies - I have no discoveries to offer. I just found it interesting that I was wondering where I could find Korean Rice Cake (Tteok) and Google tells me that H Mart in Naperville is the closest Korean grocery. I go to LTHforum next and find H Mart mentioned in the first post in the very first thread. ;)

Of course I'll check my regular groceries first (Valli, Caputo's) but if their selection is not that extensive then I won't have too far to go.

Thank,
    hank
  • Post #56 - February 15th, 2016, 9:31 am
    Post #56 - February 15th, 2016, 9:31 am Post #56 - February 15th, 2016, 9:31 am
    Cynthia wrote:At the moment, I'm sipping Knorr's Tom Yum with a splash of coconut milk in it. Zippy and flavorful. Last night, I warmed up with some "stewed duck" from an Asian company (Vietnamese, picked up on Argyle St.).

Just checked the pantry, and I also have a Vietnamese Barbecue Lemon Grass Flavour.

As long as the cold, damp weather hangs on, I love having this stuff on hand.

And I'm really enjoying my Tom Yum. Yum, indeed.

Knorr's Tom Yum - found locally?
  • Post #57 - February 15th, 2016, 9:33 am
    Post #57 - February 15th, 2016, 9:33 am Post #57 - February 15th, 2016, 9:33 am
    jimd wrote:BASIL BREAD at Tel Aviv Bakery on Devon. Round, flat, with olive oil and basil. Picked up a sample from the counter as I paid for their wonderful French Onion Hot Dog Buns. Ate it while walking out to the car. Went back inside and bought a loaf. It’s gone.

This place is truly dangerous. Good thing today is Friday or I would be back tomorrow.

Tel Aviv Kosher Bakery
    2944 W Devon Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60659
    (773) 764-8877

Thank you for the reminder.
    Years ago, they would make a special order for me - mini french onion rolls!!!
    To die for. Going to call them again and see if they might indulge my nostalgic yen.
  • Post #58 - March 17th, 2016, 8:56 pm
    Post #58 - March 17th, 2016, 8:56 pm Post #58 - March 17th, 2016, 8:56 pm
    Herdez Roasted Pasilla Chille Cooking Sauce.

Remarkably good. Great depth of flavor, and mild but not without heat.

Got mine at Meijer in Rolling Meadows, but I've seen the brand at other stores. Now I want to try all their cooking sauces.

http://www.herdeztraditions.com/product ... ng-sauces/

• Post #59 - March 18th, 2016, 6:51 am
    Post #59 - March 18th, 2016, 6:51 am Post #59 - March 18th, 2016, 6:51 am
    Tnx for the heads-up Cynthia! These cooking sauces have just now appeared in far upstate NY and I've been eyeing them. Now I'll give them a try, tnx to you! I've been a fan of their bottled red and green salsas for quite a while–they're lively and much fresher tasting than the usual suspects.

Geo
  • Post #60 - March 18th, 2016, 10:19 am
    Post #60 - March 18th, 2016, 10:19 am Post #60 - March 18th, 2016, 10:19 am
    Geo wrote:Tnx for the heads-up Cynthia! These cooking sauces have just now appeared in far upstate NY and I've been eyeing them. Now I'll give them a try, tnx to you! I've been a fan of their bottled red and green salsas for quite a while–they're lively and much fresher tasting than the usual suspects.

Geo

I've enjoyed their other products for a while now, as well, so I felt safe trying this. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more