LTH Home

Rancho Gordo [type] beans

Rancho Gordo [type] beans
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - March 3rd, 2017, 10:59 am
    Post #31 - March 3rd, 2017, 10:59 am Post #31 - March 3rd, 2017, 10:59 am
    Hi,

Last year Culinary Historians hosted Christy Rost who lives in Colorado and Texas.

She brought Anasazi beans from Adobe Milling of Dove Creek, Colorado, 1-800-542-3623. www.AnasaziBeans.com

According to the package:
    Anasazi beans were one of the few crops cultivated by the Anasazi Indians. Anasazi (ahn-a-sa-zee) is a Navajo word meaning "ancient ones." The Anasazi Indians are best identified for their architectual achievements known today as cliff dwellings and inhabited these structures as early as 130 AD. Today these structures can be seen of areas such as Masa Verde National Park, located in southwestern Colorado.

These were excellent beans and indeed cooked fairly readily.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #32 - August 2nd, 2017, 11:12 am
    Post #32 - August 2nd, 2017, 11:12 am Post #32 - August 2nd, 2017, 11:12 am
    James Hamblin at TheAtlantic.com wrote:Recently [Helen] Harwatt and a team of scientists from Oregon State University, Bard College, and Loma Linda University calculated just what would happen if every American made one dietary change: substituting beans for beef.

If Everyone Ate Beans Instead of Beef

=R=
    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French
  • Post #33 - December 31st, 2017, 1:57 pm
    Post #33 - December 31st, 2017, 1:57 pm Post #33 - December 31st, 2017, 1:57 pm
    Don't forget the Big Handsome Johnny Beans! Every well-curated collection of artisinal legumes must include a bag or two.

Find 'em at Polish markets.
  • Post #34 - December 31st, 2017, 4:20 pm
    Post #34 - December 31st, 2017, 4:20 pm Post #34 - December 31st, 2017, 4:20 pm
    I've never bought any from him, but I know that Henry Brockman that comes to the Evanston farmer's market, raises some dried heirloom beans that he sells at the market. It might be in August when he sells them. He only has two or three varieties he sells. If you have the space you can also raise your own. I don't cook a lot of dried beans except for lentils and split peas. I go the lazy route, and mostly use canned beans. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #35 - December 31st, 2017, 7:55 pm
    Post #35 - December 31st, 2017, 7:55 pm Post #35 - December 31st, 2017, 7:55 pm
    Cooked up a batch of RG black eyed peas for New Year's Day today, and they are delicious. Absolutely worth the work and price.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more