LTH Home

Hot-smoked salmon, where to buy?

Hot-smoked salmon, where to buy?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Hot-smoked salmon, where to buy?

    Post #1 - August 28th, 2017, 3:54 pm
    Post #1 - August 28th, 2017, 3:54 pm Post #1 - August 28th, 2017, 3:54 pm
    Hi all,

    A friend asked and since I generally make my own, I wasn't exactly sure what to recommend. I did mention Calumet Fisheries, of course, but he lives in the northern burbs and that's way too far off his radar. Any thoughts on where to buy high-quality hot-smoked salmon around town? It doesn't necessarily have to be north, either.

    Thanks,

    =R=
    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

    Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

    I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French
  • Post #2 - August 28th, 2017, 4:41 pm
    Post #2 - August 28th, 2017, 4:41 pm Post #2 - August 28th, 2017, 4:41 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Hi all,

    A friend asked and since I generally make my own, I wasn't exactly sure what to recommend. I did mention Calumet Fisheries, of course, but he lives in the northern burbs and that's way too far off his radar. Any thoughts on where to buy high-quality hot-smoked salmon around town? It doesn't necessarily have to be north, either.

    Thanks,

    =R=


    IIRC, Sunset makes a decent version, although nothing at all like the salmon at Calumet. Sunset sells hot smoked sides of salmon, rather than the cross-cut steaks that Calumet offers.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #3 - August 28th, 2017, 5:16 pm
    Post #3 - August 28th, 2017, 5:16 pm Post #3 - August 28th, 2017, 5:16 pm
    Fish Time in Park Ridge is very good. Since I found a more convenient outlet for their smoked fish, I've been buying it frequently (usually trout or mackerel). Now every week is Fish Time.

    Fish Time
    703 Devon Av
    Park Ridge IL
    224-585-6144
  • Post #4 - August 28th, 2017, 7:26 pm
    Post #4 - August 28th, 2017, 7:26 pm Post #4 - August 28th, 2017, 7:26 pm
    Thanks, guys. Please, keep the suggestions coming.

    =R=
    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

    Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

    I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French
  • Post #5 - August 28th, 2017, 7:47 pm
    Post #5 - August 28th, 2017, 7:47 pm Post #5 - August 28th, 2017, 7:47 pm
    Also, GNR Kaufman's has Calumet style salmon.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #6 - August 28th, 2017, 7:54 pm
    Post #6 - August 28th, 2017, 7:54 pm Post #6 - August 28th, 2017, 7:54 pm
    stevez wrote:Also, GNR Kaufman's has Calumet style salmon.

    I suspected as much but wasn't sure. I know they have sable but 100% about the salmon.

    Thanks again,

    =R=
    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

    Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

    I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French
  • Post #7 - August 28th, 2017, 8:15 pm
    Post #7 - August 28th, 2017, 8:15 pm Post #7 - August 28th, 2017, 8:15 pm
    Also

    Fish Time* in Park Ridge and Eurostyle Deli in Skokie.

    Plus (I am 90% sure) Hagen's

    Fish Time
    703 W. Devon Ave.
    Park ridge, IL

    Eurostyle Deli
    4861 Oakton St
    Skokie IL
    847-329-1430

    Hagen's
    5635 W Montrose Ave
    Chicago, IL 60634

    * Just noticed Rene G beat me to Fish Time, happy to mention it twice as its a terrific underutilized spot.
    Sauce on the side, always, implied, axiomatic..........never a doubt, BBQ sauce without.

    Low & Slow
  • Post #8 - August 28th, 2017, 8:24 pm
    Post #8 - August 28th, 2017, 8:24 pm Post #8 - August 28th, 2017, 8:24 pm
    Wonder if the about-to-open Steingold's of Chicago (1840 W Irving Park Rd) might be an option
  • Post #9 - August 28th, 2017, 8:31 pm
    Post #9 - August 28th, 2017, 8:31 pm Post #9 - August 28th, 2017, 8:31 pm
    Rene G wrote:Fish Time in Park Ridge is very good. Since I found a more convenient outlet for their smoked fish

    ?
    Sauce on the side, always, implied, axiomatic..........never a doubt, BBQ sauce without.

    Low & Slow
  • Post #10 - August 30th, 2017, 9:43 am
    Post #10 - August 30th, 2017, 9:43 am Post #10 - August 30th, 2017, 9:43 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    Rene G wrote:Fish Time in Park Ridge is very good. Since I found a more convenient outlet for their smoked fish

    ?

    I've been getting it at Shop & Save on Archer. They usually have lake trout steaks, whole small mackerel, and salmon fillets. I don't know if other Shop & Save locations carry Fish Time products, but I wouldn't be surprised. I agree with G Wiv that Fish Time doesn't get the attention it deserves.

    Fish Time Smoked Salmon at Shop & Save
    Image
  • Post #11 - August 30th, 2017, 10:11 am
    Post #11 - August 30th, 2017, 10:11 am Post #11 - August 30th, 2017, 10:11 am
    Smassey wrote:Wonder if the about-to-open Steingold's of Chicago (1840 W Irving Park Rd) might be an option


    Nope. They appear to only do cold-smoked salmon.
  • Post #12 - August 30th, 2017, 10:19 am
    Post #12 - August 30th, 2017, 10:19 am Post #12 - August 30th, 2017, 10:19 am
    Edgewater Whole Foods and possibly Dirks.
  • Post #13 - August 30th, 2017, 11:26 am
    Post #13 - August 30th, 2017, 11:26 am Post #13 - August 30th, 2017, 11:26 am
    Rene G wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:
    Rene G wrote:Fish Time in Park Ridge is very good. Since I found a more convenient outlet for their smoked fish

    ?

    I've been getting it at Shop & Save on Archer. They usually have lake trout steaks, whole small mackerel, and salmon fillets. I don't know if other Shop & Save locations carry Fish Time products, but I wouldn't be surprised. I agree with G Wiv that Fish Time doesn't get the attention it deserves.

    Fish Time Smoked Salmon at Shop & Save
    Image


    Oh, cool. Thanks for the info. Wish I had seen this a couple hours ago when I was there, but I'm at that Shop & Save about once a week for my deli meats, so I'll check it out next time.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more