LTH Home

Lox merchants--recommendations?

Lox merchants--recommendations?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Lox merchants--recommendations?

Post #1 - November 30th, 2017, 4:28 pm
    Post #1 - November 30th, 2017, 4:28 pm Post #1 - November 30th, 2017, 4:28 pm
    So...helping co-hosting a brunch. Although I'm not the lox expert, I've been (s)elected. And thus it is that I turn to the knowledgeable among us: where should I go for the (a) best selection and (b) best quality lox? I know we are looking for Nova (possibly Western Nova) and Scottish. But I'm game to buy more if I find a nice selection to choose from. Since I don't have it very often, I have no clue when it comes to shopping for it here.

I'm in Evanston but willing to travel (a bit).

The flood is open for recommendations. Many mouths (and tummies) thank you in advance.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #2 - November 30th, 2017, 4:51 pm
    Post #2 - November 30th, 2017, 4:51 pm Post #2 - November 30th, 2017, 4:51 pm
    One word: Kaufmans.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #3 - November 30th, 2017, 5:03 pm
    Post #3 - November 30th, 2017, 5:03 pm Post #3 - November 30th, 2017, 5:03 pm
    stevez wrote:One word: Kaufmans.

Seldom wrong and right again! :)

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #4 - November 30th, 2017, 5:10 pm
    Post #4 - November 30th, 2017, 5:10 pm Post #4 - November 30th, 2017, 5:10 pm
    Since they're so close, and so reliable in other ways, I was kinda hoping for that answer, but it's nice to have it confirmed by the experts. Gentlemen, we thank you! :D
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #5 - November 30th, 2017, 8:49 pm
    Post #5 - November 30th, 2017, 8:49 pm Post #5 - November 30th, 2017, 8:49 pm
    still awaiting a side-by-side with kaufman's but it must be said that the kingsbury st whole foods in lincoln park smokes their own and it is heads-and-shoulders above anything else we've found in the city. (and we're new yorkers.)
  • Post #6 - November 30th, 2017, 8:59 pm
    Post #6 - November 30th, 2017, 8:59 pm Post #6 - November 30th, 2017, 8:59 pm
    annak wrote:still awaiting a side-by-side with kaufman's but it must be said that the kingsbury st whole foods in lincoln park smokes their own and it is heads-and-shoulders above anything else we've found in the city. (and we're new yorkers.)

Cold-smoking?! I'll have to check it out.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #7 - December 1st, 2017, 7:48 am
    Post #7 - December 1st, 2017, 7:48 am Post #7 - December 1st, 2017, 7:48 am
    Our go-to favorite for lox has been Max and Bennie’s in Northbrook. It started years ago, when smoked chubs were hard to find and M&B had them. They also offer a good variety of other fishes, including the ubiquitous whitefish and several varieties of our king-of-the-mouth-feel: sable.

M&B’s deli counter has the added advantage of being a one-stop shopping location for Brunch Hosts, in that they have lots of meats, salads, soups, desserts, bagels and breads for your other needs.

Allow plenty of time to make your selections and double your budget – not that M&B is any more expensive than other places. It’s just that once you start pointing to things and saying “I’ll have a pound of that”, it is tough to stop.

461 Waukegan Rd
    Northbrook, Il 60062
    http://www.maxandbennys.com
    847-272-9490
  • Post #8 - December 5th, 2017, 4:52 pm
    Post #8 - December 5th, 2017, 4:52 pm Post #8 - December 5th, 2017, 4:52 pm
    I have to put n a plug for New York Bagel and Bialy (the one on Touhy), open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. We were Kaufman's customers for years, but they took so long to re-build after the fire, we had to find a suitable, close alternative. I still frequent Kaufman's for many many things (their corned beef is unparalleled), however let me articulate the distinction:
    At Kaufman's, you get hand sliced lox and these are wider pieces of lox. We prefer the strips as in our childhood. I have come to find out one can request strips cause Kaufman's uses that in their trays, but they do have to go in back for it and may seem agitated by the request. Also, and I realize this is subjective, the lox tastes amazing at NYBB. If you prefer belly lox, as I do, it is VERY salty, but oh, so tasty (and just oily enough to indicate freshness.) I like the earthy bagel bakery that assaults one's senses when entering NYBB, and, as mentioned above - their very very generous hours of operation. Love me some Kaufman's any day of the week, but NYBB is the bomb!
  • Post #9 - December 5th, 2017, 5:58 pm
    Post #9 - December 5th, 2017, 5:58 pm Post #9 - December 5th, 2017, 5:58 pm
    If you’re up further north in Deerfield Upper Crust Bagels has hand sliced belly lox as well as freshly baked bagels
    Delish
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #10 - December 6th, 2017, 6:35 am
    Post #10 - December 6th, 2017, 6:35 am Post #10 - December 6th, 2017, 6:35 am
    I have to put n a plug for New York Bagel and Bialy (the one on Touhy), open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

I'll second NYBB. For years when I worked in Skokie, my go-to work breakfast was a toasted round onion bialy (haven't found them anywhere else), jalapeno cream cheese and nova lox, all from NYBB. I'd stock up on Monday morning & would never tire of it.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more