LTH Home

Copper Coins in Stock Pot?

Copper Coins in Stock Pot?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Copper Coins in Stock Pot?

Post #1 - January 26th, 2018, 3:23 pm
    Post #1 - January 26th, 2018, 3:23 pm Post #1 - January 26th, 2018, 3:23 pm
    I was watching a restaurant video posted in the "RESTAURANT WEBSITES, ACCORDING TO THE OATMEAL." thread and was baffled by something.

tcdup wrote:I was looking at restaurants in Krakow, and came across this nifty website. Love the little movie that shows the restaurant from daybreak to end of service that plays when you first go to the site:
    http://www.podaniolami.pl/en

At approx. 1:50 in the opening video, a woman removes what looks like a bunch of copper coins attached by wires to a frame from what looks to be a stock pot. Any ideas as to what is going on there?
  • Post #2 - January 26th, 2018, 3:55 pm
    Post #2 - January 26th, 2018, 3:55 pm Post #2 - January 26th, 2018, 3:55 pm
    What a great video! Watch the whole thing. Those fat pierogi! The flaming ham! What a thing to watch when searching for inspiration for tonight's dinner. Thanks very much for posting it.

Oh by the way, I have no idea what those copper coins are for!
  • Post #3 - January 27th, 2018, 5:07 pm
    Post #3 - January 27th, 2018, 5:07 pm Post #3 - January 27th, 2018, 5:07 pm
    Found it!

from their complete menu pdf:

Soup
    Traditional Old-Polish broth cooked with gold coins (“such a broth the blood
    purges, improving one’s health” - as described in Pan Tadeusz, the masterpiece
    by Adam Mickiewicz), cooked with the use of several kinds of meat
    and vegetables, served in a cup with a French pastry finger.

Festal broth, according to Old-Polish tradition cooked with gold coins
    to indulge whim and for health, served with chicken leg and selection
    of vegetables, by a recipe found in Stanisław Czerniecki of Cracow
    Compendium Ferculorum - first Polish cook book from 1682.
  • Post #4 - January 27th, 2018, 8:58 pm
    Post #4 - January 27th, 2018, 8:58 pm Post #4 - January 27th, 2018, 8:58 pm
    Hi,

A friend was a historical interpreter who made period food at historic homes. Once she caused a mass illness by preparing a meal in an unlined copper pot. I knew nothing of this story until after she died. She must have been very embarrassed.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #5 - January 27th, 2018, 11:18 pm
    Post #5 - January 27th, 2018, 11:18 pm Post #5 - January 27th, 2018, 11:18 pm
    I've heard of using copper coins on steam pots so you can tell when it's running low by the rattling... But I've been told not to do it with newer pennies which are mostly zinc.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more