LTH Home

Mentsuyu, hontsuyu, memmi? Japanese noodle soup concentrate

Mentsuyu, hontsuyu, memmi? Japanese noodle soup concentrate
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Mentsuyu, hontsuyu, memmi? Japanese noodle soup concentrate

Post #1 - February 19th, 2018, 8:33 pm
    Post #1 - February 19th, 2018, 8:33 pm Post #1 - February 19th, 2018, 8:33 pm
    My seemingly never-ending quest for a Chicago-area source for Sau Tao Brand Trolley Noodles, which come with seasoning packets in various flavors, continues with little hope in sight. I am thinking of driving back to Pittsburgh to see if I can find them again in that little Asian grocery store in the Little Italy neighborhood.

In the meantime, I have hunted in local grocery stores and the big Asian markets (Mitsuwa, HMart, Assi, etc.) for bottles labelled udon soup broth or Japanese noodle soup broth, concentrated or not. I have asked for some such thing at each place and no one seems to know what I am talking about. There are dozens of different types of dry straight noodles at these stores, but not the broth. Given how many restaurants in the Chicago area serve udon soup, it seems odd to me you can't buy the concentrated soup base anywhere. Every single one of those shops is making their udon soup from scratch?

The only thing I've found so far, online, is Kikkoman Memmi noodle soup base, which I bought from Amazon. It's okay, but not exactly what I had in mind. I think maybe I should be diluting it with dashi rather than water.

Only today, years after I started searching, did Amazon see fit to suggest to me that perhaps what I'm looking for is called mentsuyu. Or maybe hontsuyu.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows:

(1) Mentsuyu/hontsuyu/memmi concentrate: are these all basically the same thing? If they're different, is one of them best suited as a base for udon soup?

(2) Does Mitsuwa or HMart or Assi or, frankly, any Asian or non-Asian market between Milwaukee and Michigan City carry mentsuyu or hontsuyu concentrate? I have scoured the bottle-and-jar aisles of them all and not found them, but until today I didn't know to look for the words mentsuyu or hontsuyu. All three are available from Amazon but for upwards of $8 a bottle. At that price, I'd at least like to know whether or not they're all the same thing. My next move will, of course, be to go back to some stores and explicitly ask for mentsuyu or hontsuyu base. Just wondering if someone already knows where to find it.

Follow-up: looking at the current Mitsuwa flyer, I see a small bottle called Yamiki white dashi soup base and a large bottle called daisho nabe (brand name or product, I don't know) soup base. A little progress...
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #2 - February 20th, 2018, 9:04 am
    Post #2 - February 20th, 2018, 9:04 am Post #2 - February 20th, 2018, 9:04 am
    Mitsuwa is your best bet as they have many brands of soup base.
    I have started to make my own but you must have Bonito flakes or dried anchovies, kelp and other seasonings.
    I just avoid the ones with MSG.
    H-Mart also has soup base.
    Wiht carb restrictions, we don’t have noodle based soup very much anymore.-Richard
  • Post #3 - February 20th, 2018, 9:19 am
    Post #3 - February 20th, 2018, 9:19 am Post #3 - February 20th, 2018, 9:19 am
    Katie--

This might be too different from what you're looking for, but I found a Japanese noodle base a couple of years ago that I'm just totally hooked on: crunchy garlic chili oil. I just cook some noodles, maybe put in a few bits of meat or fish, some scallions, and then stir in the crunchy sauce. You could dilute it as much as you want, make it soupy or not.

Just a thought.

Geo

https://www.amazon.com/Chili-Oil-Crunchy-Garlic-Ounce/dp/B00BF028XQ/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1519139584&sr=8-2&keywords=crunchy%2Bgarlic%2Bchili%2Boil&th=1
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #4 - February 20th, 2018, 3:31 pm
    Post #4 - February 20th, 2018, 3:31 pm Post #4 - February 20th, 2018, 3:31 pm
    Thanks, Richard and Geo!
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more