LTH Home

Trader Joe's has Hatch chilis

Trader Joe's has Hatch chilis
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Trader Joe's has Hatch chilis

Post #1 - September 7th, 2018, 3:46 pm
    Post #1 - September 7th, 2018, 3:46 pm Post #1 - September 7th, 2018, 3:46 pm
    Big bags of mild fresh Hatch chilis are one of the first things you'll see at the Evanston store. Time for chili roasting!
  • Post #2 - September 8th, 2018, 8:57 am
    Post #2 - September 8th, 2018, 8:57 am Post #2 - September 8th, 2018, 8:57 am
    My father-in-law lives in New Mexico and recently sent me a 10 lb case of hot and xtra hot Hatch's. After sharing some it took me about 3 hrs to process the remaining 100 or so. My house smelled for 3 days, but the stash will last until next yr.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #3 - September 8th, 2018, 12:02 pm
    Post #3 - September 8th, 2018, 12:02 pm Post #3 - September 8th, 2018, 12:02 pm
    Jazzfood -
    What are some of the things you'll do with them?
    I've always been wondering if anyone would be interested in a chile exchange.
    I don't do much else except make "green chile" (the sauce prevalent throughout NM, Co, and certain parts of TX, maybe Ok as well)
    This stuff: http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24587
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #4 - September 8th, 2018, 9:19 pm
    Post #4 - September 8th, 2018, 9:19 pm Post #4 - September 8th, 2018, 9:19 pm
    To start, I use them in an all meat chili recipe I got from world champion chilimiester C V Wood 30+ yrs ago (he also pretty much designed Disneyland). In fact, making it as we speak (there's a lot of knife work involved). Then I use them in anything I want some heat in. Eggs, grilled cheese, vegs, sauces... These are ripping hot with a back end that keeps on coming, so a little goes a long way (cept in the chili where there's about 10). I've charred, skinned and portioned them in small packets that I keep in my freezer and pull out as needed.
  • Post #5 - September 9th, 2018, 5:16 am
    Post #5 - September 9th, 2018, 5:16 am Post #5 - September 9th, 2018, 5:16 am
    I was lucky enough to have been gifted a few of these peppers from jazzfood. I blistered them on my grill, then peeled and chopped. I've got green chile cheeseburgers ala Bobcat Bite (R.I.P.) on my list for the near future.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #6 - September 10th, 2018, 7:41 am
    Post #6 - September 10th, 2018, 7:41 am Post #6 - September 10th, 2018, 7:41 am
    stevez wrote:I was lucky enough to have been gifted a few of these peppers from jazzfood. I blistered them on my grill, then peeled and chopped. I've got green chile cheeseburgers ala Bobcat Bite (R.I.P.) on my list for the near future.

I was also fortunate to be a recipient of Jazzfoods generosity. I did the same with the peppers on a grill, peeled, cut in strips and will make green chili cheeseburgers same as Mr. Z. Alan also gave us a bit of powdered chili which has been finding its way into most everything I've cooked since.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #7 - September 22nd, 2018, 1:15 pm
    Post #7 - September 22nd, 2018, 1:15 pm Post #7 - September 22nd, 2018, 1:15 pm
    stevez wrote:I was lucky enough to have been gifted a few of these peppers from jazzfood.

G Wiv wrote:I was also fortunate to be a recipient of Jazzfoods generosity.

I was in this select group, as well. I've roasted them and will be incorporating them into a dish I'm bringing to the picnic tomorrow.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #8 - September 22nd, 2018, 2:16 pm
    Post #8 - September 22nd, 2018, 2:16 pm Post #8 - September 22nd, 2018, 2:16 pm
    I'm using them too w/poached leeks, roasted butternut squash, sweet corn, favas, heirloom toms, lemon, parsley, oregeno, and bulgarian feta. The hatches should perk things up a bit.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more