LTH Home

The Spice House & Mark Bittman

The Spice House & Mark Bittman
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • The Spice House & Mark Bittman

Post #1 - October 23rd, 2018, 9:27 am
    Post #1 - October 23rd, 2018, 9:27 am Post #1 - October 23rd, 2018, 9:27 am
    Recently subscribed to Mark Bittman's newsletter. Enjoyed the articles, photos, recipes and learning more about his Spice House connection.
    Nice praise for an LTH favorite.
    One More Thing...
    As you’ve probably noticed, we have an initial partner in this newsletter project: The Spice House, an online spice outfit based in Chicago. (Some of you have reached the conclusion that I now run a spice company; cool as that would be…no. Just wanted to clear that up.)

One of the principals at Spice House is a friend named Charlie Mayer, who I met ages ago, when he was producing All Things Considered segments with, among others, Melissa Block. Charlie recorded while Melissa and I cooked in her DC kitchen, and—especially after Charlie and I discovered that both of us were pilots—we became friends. (I stopped flying, mostly, when I began writing for the Times Opinion section: That was a conflict of interest, time-wise, that could’ve been deadly. Both opinion-writing and flying take concentration, something that I don’t have in excess.)

Anyway, global sourcing is complex, and this is especially true for spices. Sustainable production and fair labor practices are issues here and elsewhere, and Charlie and The Spice House are more focused on these things than most. (Part of my job here is to help move the needle further in the right direction.) Plus, their stuff is fresh and good. They are a nice crew to have in our corner as we start this newsletter, both because they give a shit, and because, well…cooking…spices…it kind of makes sense. And it’s fun to have an excuse to work with Charlie again.

https://mailchi.mp/2a373fbedccd/good-news-for-the-most-interesting-food-city-in-the-us?e=9c1e9ff124
  • Post #2 - October 23rd, 2018, 3:54 pm
    Post #2 - October 23rd, 2018, 3:54 pm Post #2 - October 23rd, 2018, 3:54 pm
    The Spice House in Old Town, Chicago is my Candy Land. I never found the proprietors particularly welcoming or friendly. I was a regular(we lived a couple blocks away on the LSD) and never got a, "hi there." But, what, in my case, they lacked in friendliness, the store itself was a magical realm. Bins and large glass jars full of spices and mixes, big burlap sacks of cinnamon piled up in great redolent heaps. I remember being advised by a staff member my first visit to taste whatever I cared to and toss the rest on the floor.
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #3 - October 23rd, 2018, 9:08 pm
    Post #3 - October 23rd, 2018, 9:08 pm Post #3 - October 23rd, 2018, 9:08 pm
    Christopher Gordon wrote: I never found the proprietors particularly welcoming or friendly... and never got a, "hi there."
    I haven't placed any stock in friendly greetings in stores since I commented on a very friendly greeting from a Blockbuster employee who told me management made them do that because people who were greeted upon entering a store were less likely to shoplift.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more