LTH Home

Name of dish, Barcelona baby squid

Name of dish, Barcelona baby squid
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Name of dish, Barcelona baby squid

Post #1 - June 30th, 2004, 11:25 pm
    Post #1 - June 30th, 2004, 11:25 pm Post #1 - June 30th, 2004, 11:25 pm
    Back in the 70's in the Navy, my ship would moor for Chirstmas in Barcelona, and we got the better part of 2 weeks off. I tried a squid dish, and ate it every meal from then on. It consisted of just baby squid and an ink sauce of red wine, garlic, onion, and ? It was beyond words, the name should translate to, for the seduction of reluctant virgins. If you have any idea what the name of this dish is, please tell me. A glass of red and a baggette with this dish and I was one happy squid.
  • Post #2 - July 1st, 2004, 8:49 am
    Post #2 - July 1st, 2004, 8:49 am Post #2 - July 1st, 2004, 8:49 am
    Chipirones

Patrick:

The little baby squid generally bear, it seems, their Spanish name even in a Catalan context, namely chipirones* and these little squid, cooked with their own ink is (allegedly) originally a Basque specialty. The baby squid are more tender and sweeter than their more mature mates; they're often made along with rice and their ink (arròs negre 'black rice')

The poetic name you give for the particular version you had, "the seduction of reluctant virgins", unless it involves an idiom unknown to me (which is not unlikely in such a case as this!) would be something along the lines of: la seducció de las verges de mala gana or la seducció de las verges poc disposades. Does that ring a bell? That's probably too literal...

Catalan cuisine, which has its own noteworthy (sub-)regional varieties, is really one of the most interesting cuisines of Western Europe and perhaps the gem of the Hispanic peninsula (though one could make a good case for Basque cuisine too, I suppose).

Antonius

P.S. The little chipirones are available tinned from the Spanish brand La Tienda, though the tinned product probably loses much of the very qualities for which the baby squid are so highly prized. Then again, they might be interesting.

* A give-away that the word itself is not Catalan: <ch-> is not an acceptable digraph in modern Catalan.
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    - aus dem Tagebuch E.T.A. Hoffmanns, 6. Januar 1804.
    ________
    Na sir is na seachain an cath.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more