LTH Home

ALDI food stores

ALDI food stores
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 24 of 30
  • Post #691 - June 18th, 2014, 9:52 pm
    Post #691 - June 18th, 2014, 9:52 pm Post #691 - June 18th, 2014, 9:52 pm
    Bit turned off by my experience today with the local (Mundelein) Aldi's. There is always a one-day sale on some meat item on the same Wednesday that the grocery store flyers get delivered. Today's advertised meat sale was $5.99 ( :shock: ) for flank steak. I eventually got past a freight train and through some bogged-down traffic on a two-lane road to get there and find no flank steak at any price. I asked and was told, sorry, it didn't come in from the warehouse; maybe tomorrow. Maybe. What's the point of a one-day sale if you don't know what day you're going to have the product to sell? I will say that's the first time I've had that experience with one of Aldi's Wednesday meat sales. It's usually a good way to get big economy packs of chicken pieces, including wings, at a great price.

    Part two is bothering me more. After 5 pm and still needing something for dinner, I bought two cryovacked pork tenderloins with sell-by dates of July 12 (in hindsight, a suspiciously long way off). Smelled a bit funny when I cut the packages open. Raw pork and raw chicken (but beef not so much) always smells wierd to me, so I googled for advice, and learned that it is not uncommon for cryovacked meat to smell a bit, but it should not after rinsing and certainly not after cooking. Halfway through cooking, though, it still smelled weird to me, so I had to come up with yet another last-minute dinner idea. Luckily found some frozen fish.

    Tomorrow I'm going to return the pork to Aldi's to get my money back, and the thing is, I was half planning to go back there tomorrow anyway, but now I don't feel like buying the flank streak even at $5.99.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #692 - June 19th, 2014, 6:33 am
    Post #692 - June 19th, 2014, 6:33 am Post #692 - June 19th, 2014, 6:33 am
    Katie wrote:What's the point of a one-day sale if you don't know what day you're going to have the product to sell?


    1. Sale is planned well in advance.
    2. Flyer is printed in advance.
    3. Trucks sometimes get delayed (i.e. "$hit happens").

    Not the first time planning has gone awry.
  • Post #693 - June 19th, 2014, 8:47 am
    Post #693 - June 19th, 2014, 8:47 am Post #693 - June 19th, 2014, 8:47 am
    Katie wrote:Tomorrow I'm going to return the pork to Aldi's to get my money back, and the thing is, I was half planning to go back there tomorrow anyway, but now I don't feel like buying the flank streak even at $5.99.


    FYI ALDI has a double guarantee, refund and replacement:
    https://www.aldi.us/en/new-to-aldi/double-guarantee/
  • Post #694 - June 19th, 2014, 4:49 pm
    Post #694 - June 19th, 2014, 4:49 pm Post #694 - June 19th, 2014, 4:49 pm
    The cashier rang up the refund but didn't mention the replacement part of the guarantee. I will keep that in mind for the future.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #695 - July 4th, 2014, 4:25 pm
    Post #695 - July 4th, 2014, 4:25 pm Post #695 - July 4th, 2014, 4:25 pm
    For me, the biggest thing that has happened at Aldi is its stocking of 12-packs of 12-oz. cans of Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, & Sprite for $2.99.
    I suspect it is just for those three brands, but perhaps somebody out here who has been to Aldi recently can inform us if it includes other variants (or other brands e.g.: Cherry Coke, Coke Zero, Fanta Orange, Barq's Root Beer). Because this pricing blows away any other store's "sale price" for Coca-Cola 12-packs being 3|$10 (or more).
    Learn what Bing prefers you not know: http://208.84.112.25/~pudgym29/bookmark4.html
  • Post #696 - July 4th, 2014, 5:28 pm
    Post #696 - July 4th, 2014, 5:28 pm Post #696 - July 4th, 2014, 5:28 pm
    Hi- Aldi's will not accept coupons. If you belong to Coke Rewards you can enter in your points, and print high value coupons for coke products. Sometimes you can get coupons for free coke through Coke rewards. There are also frequently coupons for coke in ads for various Centrella stores such as Pete's. Many but not all stores will let you use those coupons at their store.

    I also visit mashupmom.com, and jillcataldo.com, which are local couponing sites, and which post all the store deals in the Chicago area.

    Next time you post, please do not post all in red. It is very hard on the eyes. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #697 - July 4th, 2014, 8:10 pm
    Post #697 - July 4th, 2014, 8:10 pm Post #697 - July 4th, 2014, 8:10 pm
    Just a couple of things I've found out through experience. The Double Guarantee does not apply in all cases:https://www.aldi.us/en/new-to-aldi/double-guarantee/ and in my experience I had to contact the corporate number on the package to get both. If I returned something to the local store,I got one or the other,money back OR replacement. Some recent favorites:Belmont frozen turtle cheesecake;2 slices per package and the L'oven cheese danish (by the bagels and/or bread)
    It’s more fun to talk with someone who doesn’t use
    long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like
    “What about lunch?”
    —Winnie The Pooh
    "... a good dinner is of great importance to good talk. One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
    Virginia Woolf : A Room of One's Own
  • Post #698 - July 5th, 2014, 1:18 pm
    Post #698 - July 5th, 2014, 1:18 pm Post #698 - July 5th, 2014, 1:18 pm
    pudgym29 wrote: For me, the biggest thing that has happened at Aldi is its stocking of 12-packs of 12-oz. cans of Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, & Sprite for $2.99.
    I suspect it is just for those three brands, but perhaps somebody out here who has been to Aldi recently can inform us if it includes other variants (or other brands e.g.: Cherry Coke, Coke Zero, Fanta Orange, Barq's Root Beer). Because this pricing blows away any other store's "sale price" for Coca-Cola 12-packs being 3|$10 (or more).


    Don't the big chains do 4 for 10 on 12 packs for sale prices just about all the time?
    Quick search shows this week Meijer coke cases are 2 for 10, and at Tony's Coke 12 packs are 4 for 10.
    Jewel's ad doesn't show a 4 for 10, this week, but I thought they are also normally 4 for 10 as a sale price for Coke/Pepsi prods.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #699 - July 5th, 2014, 10:21 pm
    Post #699 - July 5th, 2014, 10:21 pm Post #699 - July 5th, 2014, 10:21 pm
    seebee wrote:
    pudgym29 wrote: For me, the biggest thing that has happened at Aldi is its stocking of 12-packs of 12-oz. cans of Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, & Sprite for $2.99.
    I suspect it is just for those three brands, but perhaps somebody out here who has been to Aldi recently can inform us if it includes other variants (or other brands e.g.: Cherry Coke, Coke Zero, Fanta Orange, Barq's Root Beer). Because this pricing blows away any other store's "sale price" for Coca-Cola 12-packs being 3|$10 (or more).


    Don't the big chains do 4 for 10 on 12 packs for sale prices just about all the time?
    Quick search shows this week Meijer coke cases are 2 for 10, and at Tony's Coke 12 packs are 4 for 10.
    Jewel's ad doesn't show a 4 for 10, this week, but I thought they are also normally 4 for 10 as a sale price for Coke/Pepsi prods.


    I don't usually notice. But I was at Jewel yesterday and 4 12-packs were on sale for $9.
  • Post #700 - July 21st, 2014, 11:11 pm
    Post #700 - July 21st, 2014, 11:11 pm Post #700 - July 21st, 2014, 11:11 pm
    Karl Albrecht, reclusive billionaire who co-founded German supermarket chain Aldi, dead at 94
    ...
    After splitting the company into two, the brothers in 1962 rebranded the group Aldi — a contraction of “Albrecht Discount” — with Karl Albrecht leading Aldi South, and Theo Albrecht taking Aldi North. They still worked together, using their combined bargaining power to negotiate lower purchasing prices.

    Their motto was “concentrating on the basics: a limited selection of goods for daily needs” and their formula sold well.

    Today the group has thousands of stores in 17 countries in Europe, North America and Australia, and a family trust established by Theo Albrecht in 1979 bought the U.S. specialty grocery chain Trader Joe’s.
    ...
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #701 - October 26th, 2014, 5:44 am
    Post #701 - October 26th, 2014, 5:44 am Post #701 - October 26th, 2014, 5:44 am
    Tear and share Brioche is back at Aldi. Two flavors...vanilla and chocolate chip.
    Toria

    "I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #702 - October 27th, 2014, 10:53 pm
    Post #702 - October 27th, 2014, 10:53 pm Post #702 - October 27th, 2014, 10:53 pm
    toria wrote:Tear and share Brioche is back at Aldi. Two flavors...vanilla and chocolate chip.

    Is this a fresh or frozen product? I didn't see any at Aldi today.

    What I did see were Dutch stroopwafels, which are thin wafers filled with caramel. I bought a package of ten pieces for $1.99. They were inexpensive and very fresh with caramel still ready to flex. I eat them as-is. I learned fairly recently these cookies are layered on top of cup of hot coffee (or any hot drink) for several minutes before eating.

    I just adore these cookies and now I have a good and inexpensive source for the moment.

    Regards,
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #703 - November 2nd, 2014, 8:20 am
    Post #703 - November 2nd, 2014, 8:20 am Post #703 - November 2nd, 2014, 8:20 am
    It is a fresh product and sold near where the bread and coffee cakes and cinnamon rolls are.
    Toria

    "I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #704 - November 3rd, 2014, 5:03 pm
    Post #704 - November 3rd, 2014, 5:03 pm Post #704 - November 3rd, 2014, 5:03 pm
    A bit off topic but coke sale prices mentioned above. Here is the major clue for getting soda products on sale in major chains.....any major holiday always has soda on sale. My mom tracked it for years and I too have been doing it for the last 25 years---it is that predictable. Holidays mean parties which mean soda for drinks and mixers. The next sale will be the weekend before turkey day and then around X-mas when people have parties and the stores want you in to buy all of your stuff there. New Years Eve, Easter,Memorial Day, Labor Day Fathers' Day, July 4th etc. I practically set my watch to it. :wink:
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #705 - November 3rd, 2014, 6:14 pm
    Post #705 - November 3rd, 2014, 6:14 pm Post #705 - November 3rd, 2014, 6:14 pm
    Hi- Jewel has a deal right now through 11/4 where they have Orville Redenbacher on sale for B1G1F, for the boxes with three bags, and if you buy the Orville, you get two 2 liters of pop for free, and there was a coupon for the Orville in the Tribune 2/$1, and so if you buy four Orville, you can use the coupon, and then you get four two liters of pop for a grand total of $5.60. The Jewel on Chicago Avenue did not have the sign advertising the free pop, but on one of the couponing blogs, people are still getting the free pop. I believe it is 7-up products that you can get.
  • Post #706 - November 3rd, 2014, 7:28 pm
    Post #706 - November 3rd, 2014, 7:28 pm Post #706 - November 3rd, 2014, 7:28 pm
    Elfin wrote:A bit off topic but coke sale prices mentioned above. Here is the major clue for getting soda products on sale in major chains.....any major holiday always has soda on sale. My mom tracked it for years and I too have been doing it for the last 25 years---it is that predictable. Holidays mean parties which mean soda for drinks and mixers. The next sale will be the weekend before turkey day and then around X-mas when people have parties and the stores want you in to buy all of your stuff there. New Years Eve, Easter,Memorial Day, Labor Day Fathers' Day, July 4th etc. I practically set my watch to it. :wink:


    I thought everyone did that.
    Not only soda, but baking supplies, butter...4th of July is great for cheap hot dogs, processed bbq sauce, ketchup, mustard and mayo are practically free to get you in the store.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #707 - November 6th, 2014, 5:18 pm
    Post #707 - November 6th, 2014, 5:18 pm Post #707 - November 6th, 2014, 5:18 pm
    Be advised, that you have been warned! Aldi's has some hidden gems on their shelves. Buddy Roadhouse turned me on to Aldi's fabulous, inexpensive European chocolates some time ago. Yesterday, I hit the mother lode of moist chocolate cake nirvana. For $2.99, Aldi's sells the L'Oven Fresh Triple Chocolate Cake. This 20oz beauty will make you the hit of the desert crowd for your next party. There's no better bang for your chocolate dollar. Am I the only one on this forum to have discovered this chocolate baby bundt?
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #708 - November 18th, 2014, 8:46 am
    Post #708 - November 18th, 2014, 8:46 am Post #708 - November 18th, 2014, 8:46 am
    Will have to try this. Hopefully it will be there. I also love the tear and share brioche.
    Toria

    "I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #709 - November 18th, 2014, 12:58 pm
    Post #709 - November 18th, 2014, 12:58 pm Post #709 - November 18th, 2014, 12:58 pm
    chicagostyledog wrote:Be advised, that you have been warned! Aldi's has some hidden gems on their shelves. Buddy Roadhouse turned me on to Aldi's fabulous, inexpensive European chocolates some time ago. Yesterday, I hit the mother lode of moist chocolate cake nirvana. For $2.99, Aldi's sells the L'Oven Fresh Triple Chocolate Cake. This 20oz beauty will make you the hit of the desert crowd for your next party. There's no better bang for your chocolate dollar. Am I the only one on this forum to have discovered this chocolate baby bundt?

    I saw that out of the corner of my eye, and it looked, well, too good to be true. I was wrong, huh?
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #710 - November 18th, 2014, 3:23 pm
    Post #710 - November 18th, 2014, 3:23 pm Post #710 - November 18th, 2014, 3:23 pm
    I am fully aware of the L'Oven Fresh Triple Chocolate Cake and all the other flavors offered at various times. Having purchased them, I am also aware of their addictive dangers and approach them with caution.

    Buddy
  • Post #711 - January 8th, 2015, 2:16 am
    Post #711 - January 8th, 2015, 2:16 am Post #711 - January 8th, 2015, 2:16 am
    Aldi is opening 50 stores in Southern California this year, now that they have built their one million square foot distribution center.

    http://www.andnowuknow.com/buyside-news ... K4755U5DIU

    They also recently purchased and will convert some of the Price Chopper stores in the Philadelphia area.
  • Post #712 - March 8th, 2015, 4:35 pm
    Post #712 - March 8th, 2015, 4:35 pm Post #712 - March 8th, 2015, 4:35 pm
    The store in Niles at Milwaukee and Waukegan has closed.
    They have opened a new store at 6250 W Touhy near the Leaning Tower YMCA and Costco.
    http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/- ... -82995421/
  • Post #713 - March 19th, 2015, 3:44 am
    Post #713 - March 19th, 2015, 3:44 am Post #713 - March 19th, 2015, 3:44 am
    If I have not said this before beware of canned fruit from China. Its sold in glass bottles. I usually prefer fresh fruit but every blue moon I get a hankering for canned. I think it might be under the label of sweet harvest. Read the labels before you buy.
    Toria

    "I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #714 - March 19th, 2015, 11:33 pm
    Post #714 - March 19th, 2015, 11:33 pm Post #714 - March 19th, 2015, 11:33 pm
    Another article on Aldi's:

    http://morningnewsbeat.com/Home/Home_S. ... 2015-03-16


    One was in a Crain's Chicago Business story about Aldi's broadening assortment and appeal. At the very end of the piece,Ken Diehl, CEO of the Strack & Van Til Food Market chain, is quoted as saying that indeed, Aldi is a tough competitor. And here's the comment that grabbed my attention:

    “Aldi's low prices do seem to be resonating with certain customers.”

    My reaction:

    Really? What a keen sense of the obvious???
  • Post #715 - April 7th, 2015, 2:09 pm
    Post #715 - April 7th, 2015, 2:09 pm Post #715 - April 7th, 2015, 2:09 pm
    Following the link to the NY Times article in this thread, Private Eyes in the Grocery Aisle, I received a pop-up ad for Aldi's from shopathome.com.

    Is this legit? They want e-mail and zip code (and for you to download an app but my phone is not very smart, I don't do apps) which I'm OK with, I have a "BS/spam" e-mail addy but I find it hard to believe they are giving out real coupons for Aldi's. I've never known Aldi's to take or issue coupons. I'm very skeptical especially since the first page Google results for shopathome.com include spyware removal info. Seems sketchy, despite coming from NYT.
  • Post #716 - April 8th, 2015, 9:46 am
    Post #716 - April 8th, 2015, 9:46 am Post #716 - April 8th, 2015, 9:46 am
    motu wrote:Following the link to the NY Times article in this thread, Private Eyes in the Grocery Aisle, I received a pop-up ad for Aldi's from shopathome.com.

    Is this legit? They want e-mail and zip code (and for you to download an app but my phone is not very smart, I don't do apps) which I'm OK with, I have a "BS/spam" e-mail addy but I find it hard to believe they are giving out real coupons for Aldi's. I've never known Aldi's to take or issue coupons. I'm very skeptical especially since the first page Google results for shopathome.com include spyware removal info. Seems sketchy, despite coming from NYT.


    Google's your friend. https://www.aldi.us/en/customer-service/smartphone-app/

    (To be clear, it says nothing about coupons on Aldi's page or on the app's description.)
  • Post #717 - April 8th, 2015, 10:01 am
    Post #717 - April 8th, 2015, 10:01 am Post #717 - April 8th, 2015, 10:01 am
    Hi- Aldi's does not accept coupons. That is partly why their prices are so low. Jewel has to have somebody to get the coupons ready to mail back to the redemption center, and a lot of smaller stores hire an outside firm to process the coupons. Stores that take coupons also take a hit if the redemption center suspects that the coupons are counterfeit, which means that the stores don't get reimbursed. In order to keep prices low at Aldi's they also make you bag your groceries, and put in a quarter to use a cart, and they only carry items that they know are going to be big sellers. They also only have two varieties of ketchup, and not 15 like Jewel does.

    I have looked into shopathome.com, and I was not impressed with it. It seemed like it was not going to save me any money. If it did save you lots of money, the couponing blogs would promote it like crazy, and they never mention it. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #718 - June 11th, 2015, 2:21 pm
    Post #718 - June 11th, 2015, 2:21 pm Post #718 - June 11th, 2015, 2:21 pm
    German discounter Aldi on Thursday detailed a plan to grow in the U.S., saying it would invest billions of dollars and create thousands of jobs as it works to ramp up its footprint.

    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/aldi-d ... =afterbell
    "At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom." George Carlin
  • Post #719 - July 18th, 2015, 10:16 am
    Post #719 - July 18th, 2015, 10:16 am Post #719 - July 18th, 2015, 10:16 am
    I have heard that Aldi will begin carrying Almond flour for all those that like to low carb it.
    Toria

    "I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #720 - July 20th, 2015, 11:44 pm
    Post #720 - July 20th, 2015, 11:44 pm Post #720 - July 20th, 2015, 11:44 pm
    toria wrote:I have heard that Aldi will begin carrying Almond flour for all those that like to low carb it.



    What I found rather disappointing in last month's visit to Aldi is the proliferation of organic, gluten-free and other SKUs that they are carrying. Since they are a limited SKU operation, this is eliminating quite a few normal grocery items from their operations.

    I am beginning to believe that they are falling into the trap of trying to be everything to everybody.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more