LTH Home

Good steak [and other] knives under $100?

Good steak [and other] knives under $100?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - June 3rd, 2019, 4:49 pm
    Post #31 - June 3rd, 2019, 4:49 pm Post #31 - June 3rd, 2019, 4:49 pm
    G Wiv wrote:At $20 per for 4 & $15 per for 8 I'm tempted by the non serrated version of the Misen Steak Knife
    Special pricing for Fathers Day on all products, DAD20, expires June 6th.

Thanks, Gary. Also note that code Cook20 gets you 20% off a first order.

Just curious how you found these. When I go to their Products page, I can't find a link to the Steak Knives, though the link you provided took me right there. Wondering about other colors . . . even though I do not need any more steak knives!!!

=R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #32 - June 3rd, 2019, 6:52 pm
    Post #32 - June 3rd, 2019, 6:52 pm Post #32 - June 3rd, 2019, 6:52 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Just curious how you found these. When I go to their Products page, I can't find a link to the Steak Knives, though the link you provided took me right there. Wondering about other colors . . . even though I do not need any more steak knives!!

I was on the original kickstarter, I receive emails from Misen with sales, new products etc. I think, though am not sure, steak knives are only blue for now.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #33 - June 3rd, 2019, 6:56 pm
    Post #33 - June 3rd, 2019, 6:56 pm Post #33 - June 3rd, 2019, 6:56 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Just curious how you found these. When I go to their Products page, I can't find a link to the Steak Knives, though the link you provided took me right there. Wondering about other colors . . . even though I do not need any more steak knives!!

I was on the original kickstarter, I receive emails from Misen with sales, new products etc. I think, though am not sure, steak knives are only blue for now.

That 'splains it. Thank you. What Misen knives do you currently own?

=R=

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

• Post #34 - June 3rd, 2019, 7:11 pm
    Post #34 - June 3rd, 2019, 7:11 pm Post #34 - June 3rd, 2019, 7:11 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:What Misen knives do you currently own?
    Paring and chef. They are AUS-8 at 30% all inclusive, an ok steel, easy to steel, strop and sharpen. A bit more German than Japanese in design, for the price, which initially/when I bought the chef knife, was $50* they are fine. I gave a few paring/chef sets as gifts to friends, they were well received.

If you are looking for a new Japanese chef's knife I recommend a Misono Swedish Carbon Steel Gyutou 8", the 8" don't have that stupid dragon etching, larger have the etching. http://www.korin.com typically has 15% off in July and December on knives.

*I think the chef was $50, maybe $45, don't remember the price on the paring but it was quite reasonable.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #35 - June 3rd, 2019, 8:22 pm
    Post #35 - June 3rd, 2019, 8:22 pm Post #35 - June 3rd, 2019, 8:22 pm
    Thanks for the heads up on the korin sales. I was gonna buy one but can wait til July.

Comtemplating either the 240 or 270mm misono carbon steel as I already have a good 8in chefs knife. Any thoughts on a larger blade? Minus the dragon etching as it doesn't really bother me.
  • Post #36 - June 3rd, 2019, 10:35 pm
    Post #36 - June 3rd, 2019, 10:35 pm Post #36 - June 3rd, 2019, 10:35 pm
    G Wiv wrote:If you are looking for a new Japanese chef's knife I recommend a Misono Swedish Carbon Steel Gyutou 8", the 8" don't have that stupid dragon etching, larger have the etching. http://www.korin.com typically has 15% off in July and December on knives.

I am not but only because I just ordered one of these . . .

Sakai Takayuki 33-Layer VG10 Damascus Hammered Chef Knife(Gyuto) 240mm

It's about the same money, the same Rockwell (60) and slightly longer than the Misono you recommend (240mm), which is right in my comfort zone. I've never owned a VG10 knife before, so I'm looking forward to that aspect. Plus, I love the Damascus pattern, and the mahogany handle is stunning. But most importantly, being a lefty, I wanted a blade with a 50/50 bevel. The Misono is 70/30, so it's kind of a non-starter for me.

Edit to add: that I see now lefty versions of the Misono are available. I'll definitely keep that in mind in the future.

Of course, we're now drifting away from steak knives but with quality blades, it's damned hard to stay focused!

=R=

• Post #37 - June 4th, 2019, 6:32 am
    Post #37 - June 4th, 2019, 6:32 am Post #37 - June 4th, 2019, 6:32 am
    WhyBeeSea wrote:Comtemplating either the 240 or 270mm misono carbon steel as I already have a good 8in chefs knife. Any thoughts on a larger blade? Minus the dragon etching as it doesn't really bother me.
    Blade size is personal, as is the etching. I have chef knives from 8" to 12" After working in restaurant kitchens, including Barn and various consulting jobs, over the years I'm comfortable at 8" as that is the size knife exchanges such as Superior or Cozzini use.

Though, when friends bought me a couple of beautiful Misono UX10s for a milestone birthday, I opted for a 240/9.5 in the Chef/Gyutou knife. I have a few other older 9.5" and over knives, including a carbon steel 12" Sabatier chef knife from Thiers France I bought for a song at a closeout, which rarely sees light of day.

8" for me is the Goldilocks size. If you haven't worked with larger knives go somewhere you can hold, or better yet try, like Northwestern Cutlery (hold) Sur La Table try (maybe).

Chef knife size can also be dependent on available space. For example, cramped station in a busy restaurant or on a smallish cutting board in a big city high rise apartment kitchen 11"s looks cool but can be unwieldy. Conversely lots of space, big cutting board or butcher block lots of prep work, bigger might be better. Though the best prep cook I've had the pleasure to work with, Balthazar, made short work of 40/lb cases of whole chicken, mountains of onion etc with a knife service 8" chef knife and skill.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #38 - June 4th, 2019, 6:34 am
    Post #38 - June 4th, 2019, 6:34 am Post #38 - June 4th, 2019, 6:34 am

Beautiful knife!

ronnie_suburban wrote:It's about the same money, the same Rockwell (60) and slightly longer than the Misono you recommend (240mm), which is right in my comfort zone. I've never owned a VG10 knife before, so I'm looking forward to that aspect. Plus, I love the Damascus pattern, and the mahogany handle is stunning. But most importantly, being a lefty, I wanted a blade with a 50/50 bevel. The Misono is 70/30, so it's kind of a non-starter for me.

Edit to add: that I see now lefty versions of the Misono are available. I'll definitely keep that in mind in the future.

The carbon steel Misono Chef/Gyutou are 59-60 Rockwell, fairly easy to sharpen and don't seem to suffer the blade brittleness gastro gnome astutely implied in his whetstone post. Importantly for you, as a lefty, Northwestern Cutlery, or I'm sure Exact Blade in Northbrook, will reshape to 50/50 40% or less inclusive for a small charge.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #39 - June 4th, 2019, 12:24 pm
    Post #39 - June 4th, 2019, 12:24 pm Post #39 - June 4th, 2019, 12:24 pm
    Thanks so much for your insight! I'm really looking forward to using this new knife. Both bc it's carbon steel and bc I can have it sharpened for left handed use.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more