LTH Home

Toaster Oven recommendations?

Toaster Oven recommendations?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - March 17th, 2012, 6:18 pm
    Post #61 - March 17th, 2012, 6:18 pm Post #61 - March 17th, 2012, 6:18 pm
    I am blaming all of you in this thread for convincing me to buy the Breville. It's all your fault. Marketing ploy? Nope....peer pressure I tell you!!!!! :lol:

    My old B&D started acting up....it was the thermostat. At 12+ years old, not worth fixing. It got used very often so I'm not terribly surprised.

    I think I'm going to enjoy this beast immensely. It takes up a "little" bit more counter than the old one but wow....it's nice.
  • Post #62 - March 21st, 2012, 4:28 pm
    Post #62 - March 21st, 2012, 4:28 pm Post #62 - March 21st, 2012, 4:28 pm
    "Over the weekend I made roasted Brussel's Sprouts in it"

    Odd coincidence, I did the same thing in mine on Sunday as well. A 12" cast iron pan fits in easily. With the convection mode on, I was able to get a very good and even caramelization in under 30 minutes. I think the Breville will be used even more this summer to avoid turning on the oven.
  • Post #63 - March 21st, 2012, 7:28 pm
    Post #63 - March 21st, 2012, 7:28 pm Post #63 - March 21st, 2012, 7:28 pm
    For the spouts we just used the pan which came with the oven. It worked fine. Still haven't roasted the parsnips. . .
  • Post #64 - July 16th, 2014, 9:27 am
    Post #64 - July 16th, 2014, 9:27 am Post #64 - July 16th, 2014, 9:27 am
    After about 6 years, the hinge on my Krups toaster oven broke. The was the earlier version of this toaster oven that Cooks Illustrated really liked; they didn't like the subsequent versions. I loved it - toasted well, great for baking/reheating small things. But the hinge isn't worth paying to replace, so it was time for a new one.

    Just ordered the medium-sized Breville, which does not have the convection feature and is slightly smaller than their larger unit.
  • Post #65 - July 17th, 2014, 3:40 pm
    Post #65 - July 17th, 2014, 3:40 pm Post #65 - July 17th, 2014, 3:40 pm
    i recently bought the new Breville smart mini-oven. the first one i brought home didn't toast properly, though the oven worked. so i exchanged it for another at bed/bath/beyond. the 2d one works fine as a broiler/toaster/oven, but it has some features i find annoying: you have to hit the 'start' button twice to get it to start. the first time it just shows you what you've selected. so i still forget sometimes. also, the oven shuts off when its timer goes off, and the timer only beeps 3 times, quickly and not very loudly. it's extremely easy to not hear it, even when i'm in the same room. i would like an oven that stays on until i turn it off and a timer that beeps until i turn it off. i'm keeping the thing, but these features are not what i would have installed if i was designing a toaster oven, and at $150 for the darn thing, i can't say i'm terribly enthusiastic....
    Last edited by justjoan on July 17th, 2014, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #66 - July 17th, 2014, 7:15 pm
    Post #66 - July 17th, 2014, 7:15 pm Post #66 - July 17th, 2014, 7:15 pm
    justjoan wrote:i recently bought the new Breville smart mini-oven. the first one i brought home didn't toast properly, though the oven worked. so i exchanged it for another at bed/bath/beyond. the 2d one works fine as a broiler/toaster/oven, but it has some features i find annoying: you have to hit the 'start' button twice to get it to start. the first time it just shows you what you've selected. so i still forget sometimes. also, the oven shuts off when its timer goes off, and the timer only beeps 3 times, quickly and not very loudly. it's extremely easy to ignore it, even when i'm in the same room. i would like an oven that stays on until i turn it off and a timer that beeps until i turn it off. i'm keeping the thing, but these features are not what i would have installed if i was designing a toaster oven, and at $150 for the darn thing, i can't say i'm terribly enthusiastic....


    Are you selling it?
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #67 - July 17th, 2014, 7:22 pm
    Post #67 - July 17th, 2014, 7:22 pm Post #67 - July 17th, 2014, 7:22 pm
    pairs4life wrote:
    justjoan wrote:i recently bought the new Breville smart mini-oven. the first one i brought home didn't toast properly, though the oven worked. so i exchanged it for another at bed/bath/beyond. the 2d one works fine as a broiler/toaster/oven, but it has some features i find annoying: you have to hit the 'start' button twice to get it to start. the first time it just shows you what you've selected. so i still forget sometimes. also, the oven shuts off when its timer goes off, and the timer only beeps 3 times, quickly and not very loudly. it's extremely easy to ignore it, even when i'm in the same room. i would like an oven that stays on until i turn it off and a timer that beeps until i turn it off. i'm keeping the thing, but these features are not what i would have installed if i was designing a toaster oven, and at $150 for the darn thing, i can't say i'm terribly enthusiastic....


    Are you selling it?
    nope, it actually does what it's supposed to do. the toaster is so much better than the crappy cuisinart toaster/oven i've put up with for years. it just takes some getting used to. and i use a separate timer since the breville timer is so useless, IMO.
  • Post #68 - July 20th, 2014, 8:15 am
    Post #68 - July 20th, 2014, 8:15 am Post #68 - July 20th, 2014, 8:15 am
    justjoan wrote:the oven shuts off when its timer goes off, and the timer only beeps 3 times, quickly and not very loudly. it's extremely easy to not hear it, even when i'm in the same room. i would like an oven that stays on until i turn it off and a timer that beeps until i turn it off.


    The Breville I have has a time dial, like the temp dial, so even if the default is 5 mins you can change it to whatever you want - like 50 min or 5 hours or something. Just like you can adjust the temp higher or lower than the default. Does yours not do that?
    Leek

    SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #69 - June 21st, 2015, 9:08 pm
    Post #69 - June 21st, 2015, 9:08 pm Post #69 - June 21st, 2015, 9:08 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:
    pairs4life wrote:Anyone know of a repair person in Chicago.

    We have a 20+ year old Black & Decker Toaster Oven that died today. My husband doesn't want to replace it. I think he may feel differently once he hears the cost of a repair.

    Thanks,


    Best post of the night. Maybe of the month.


    Well thanks to lemoneater I have been " magically tidying up" and as such placed the still not repaired toaster oven in the car with Mr. pairs4life as he went fishing last weekend. I suggested he take it to a local hardware store, the kind of place that may still do small appliance repair. He gave it to his fishing buddy, an engineer. He checked the elements. They were good. Replaced the cord with an industrial one. It should be good for another 20+ years!
    image.jpg Black and Decker Toaster Oven in Service since Spring '87 But For a Break from Summer '11 Ending Summer '15
    Last edited by pairs4life on June 22nd, 2015, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #70 - June 21st, 2015, 9:59 pm
    Post #70 - June 21st, 2015, 9:59 pm Post #70 - June 21st, 2015, 9:59 pm
    pairs4life wrote:
    boudreaulicious wrote:
    pairs4life wrote:Anyone know of a repair person in Chicago.

    We have a 20+ year old Black & Decker Toaster Oven that died today. My husband doesn't want to replace it. I think he may feel differently once he hears the cost of a repair.

    Thanks,


    Best post of the night. Maybe of the month.


    Well thanks to lemoneater I have been " magically tidying up" and as such placed the still not repaired toaster oven in the car with Mr. pairs4life as he went fishing last weekend. i suggested he take it to a local hardware store, the kind of place that may still do small appliance repair. He gave it to his fishing buddy, an engineer. And it works!

    If you're still looking for a new one,under $100 this is the last one I got,and I like a lot,especially with an extra rack: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z34OME
    It’s more fun to talk with someone who doesn’t use
    long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like
    “What about lunch?”
    —Winnie The Pooh
    "... a good dinner is of great importance to good talk. One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
    Virginia Woolf : A Room of One's Own
  • Post #71 - June 22nd, 2015, 9:22 am
    Post #71 - June 22nd, 2015, 9:22 am Post #71 - June 22nd, 2015, 9:22 am
    Thanks but no thanks that's my favorite.

    Quote, just now from Mr. pairs4life: "That toaster oven is getting it done."-- The ultimate in use it up. :mrgreen
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #72 - October 14th, 2016, 5:45 am
    Post #72 - October 14th, 2016, 5:45 am Post #72 - October 14th, 2016, 5:45 am
    You can check Oster TSSTTVRB04 it has great popularity because of the performance it delivers and it can be purchased in under $100, currently this oven is available at Amazon also.
    Last edited by grmaryp4 on October 15th, 2016, 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #73 - October 14th, 2016, 6:51 pm
    Post #73 - October 14th, 2016, 6:51 pm Post #73 - October 14th, 2016, 6:51 pm
    grmaryp4 wrote:You can check Oster TSSTTVRB04 it has great popularity because of the performance it delivers and it can be purchased in under $100, currently this oven is available at Amazon also.


    My Black & Decker from 1987 still works!
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #74 - November 11th, 2018, 12:59 am
    Post #74 - November 11th, 2018, 12:59 am Post #74 - November 11th, 2018, 12:59 am
    The Brevilles are expensive but they are also hands-down great. I bought one for home a couple of years ago and I was so impressed that I bought two more - one for each of my offices. They heat quickly and toast evenly, and have a bunch of useful cooking modes (some convection). Especially at work, I love that every cooking mode defaults to auto shut-off because there are times that I get pulled away or diverted and the shut-off has prevented burnt food or, possibly, worse.

    Right now, Sur La Table is having a sale on Breville ovens, with some models up to 45% off. I think that some of these offers actually net out lower than amazon. They're also offering a 20% off Friends & Family discount (code family18), though I'm not sure if the promotions are stackable. In any case, if you've been considering pulling the trigger on one of these, now might be the time.

    =R=
    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #75 - November 11th, 2018, 6:43 am
    Post #75 - November 11th, 2018, 6:43 am Post #75 - November 11th, 2018, 6:43 am
    Hi I'm zoid, and I'm a toaster oven junky [Hi zoid!]

    Seriously, at one point I had six and I'm down to three. Why three?
    1 - The smallest one is great for making toast/bagels/broiling sandwiches
    2 - The mid-sized is perfectly capable of roasting a small chicken, baking a meatloaf, of even making a loaf of bread
    3 - The big boy can handle a small turkey, a few pies, or 2 large take and bake pizzas, though I admit this is stretching the definition of a toaster oven

    Admittedly 2 and 3 get WAY more use in the summer when I don't want to fire up the oven but 1 is on the counter and gets used at least once a week.
  • Post #76 - November 11th, 2018, 8:57 am
    Post #76 - November 11th, 2018, 8:57 am Post #76 - November 11th, 2018, 8:57 am
    Has anyone tried one of the new Breville pizza ovens?

    https://www.williams-sonoma.com/product ... zza%20Oven
  • Post #77 - November 11th, 2018, 2:07 pm
    Post #77 - November 11th, 2018, 2:07 pm Post #77 - November 11th, 2018, 2:07 pm
    In the Nov. - Dec. issue of Cooks Illustrated, they reviewed the June Intelligent Oven and raved about it. Of course at a $1,500 price tag, it might not be a realistic purchase for most. At that price, the thing should tuck you in and kiss you goodnight.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #78 - November 11th, 2018, 5:58 pm
    Post #78 - November 11th, 2018, 5:58 pm Post #78 - November 11th, 2018, 5:58 pm
    dukesdad wrote:Has anyone tried one of the new Breville pizza ovens?

    https://www.williams-sonoma.com/product ... zza%20Oven

    My friends tried it and loved it. It took about 2 minutes to make a thin crust. I think it makes a 12 inch pizza so it is fast for a family or crowd. They love making pizza so they are really excited about it.
  • Post #79 - November 12th, 2018, 5:28 pm
    Post #79 - November 12th, 2018, 5:28 pm Post #79 - November 12th, 2018, 5:28 pm
    dukesdad wrote:Has anyone tried one of the new Breville pizza ovens?

    https://www.williams-sonoma.com/product ... zza%20Oven


    Yes, I have had one for a few weeks. I'll say here what I've said in the pizzamaking.com forum. I've gone from being extremely skeptical to considering it as an adjunct to my WFO to wondering whether I will ever use my WFO again. It defies all of the smug"conventional wisdom" accreted over 18 years. It has produced some of the best Neapolitan and NYC-style pizzas I have ever made.
  • Post #80 - November 13th, 2018, 8:55 am
    Post #80 - November 13th, 2018, 8:55 am Post #80 - November 13th, 2018, 8:55 am
    Chicago Hokie wrote:A 12" cast iron pan fits in easily.

    We use a toaster oven (nothing fancy, I think it is a Black and Decker, non-electronic) on a regular basis since our regular oven broke. It is just the two of us and if we need to bake something larger I will use a cast iron dutch oven on the grill.

    2 weeks ago I purchased "A 12" cast iron pan" for our oven.

    https://shop.lodgemfg.com/skillets-and- ... on-pan.asp

    Easily the largest pan that will fit and will make a full recipe. We made cottage pie last week and looking forward to chicken pot pie this.
    "Make Lunch, Not War" ~ Anon
  • Post #81 - November 13th, 2018, 9:12 am
    Post #81 - November 13th, 2018, 9:12 am Post #81 - November 13th, 2018, 9:12 am
    Bill/SFNM wrote:I've gone from being extremely skeptical to considering it as an adjunct to my WFO to wondering whether I will ever use my WFO again. It defies all of the smug"conventional wisdom" accreted over 18 years. It has produced some of the best Neapolitan and NYC-style pizzas I have ever made.

    Wow, that is a stunner. Whenever I have thought about you, I have always admired you having the lucky combination of: time, money and toys (cooking stuff like your wood fired oven).

    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #82 - November 14th, 2018, 8:22 am
    Post #82 - November 14th, 2018, 8:22 am Post #82 - November 14th, 2018, 8:22 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Whenever I have thought about you, I have always admired you having the lucky combination of: time, money and toys (cooking stuff like your wood fired oven).

    You neglected to mention Bill/SFNM's two most important attributes, intelligence and imagination.

    I've been following Bill/SFNM for coming on three decades though Usenet, chat rooms and forums, long before he bought his first Bernzomatic, immersion circulator or Klose BBQ pit, and quickly started learning, interacting and filing away his informed posts, ideas and out of the box techniques.

    Meeting Bill/SFNM in person is high on my life goal bucket list.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #83 - November 14th, 2018, 8:39 am
    Post #83 - November 14th, 2018, 8:39 am Post #83 - November 14th, 2018, 8:39 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:Whenever I have thought about you, I have always admired you having the lucky combination of: time, money and toys (cooking stuff like your wood fired oven).

    You neglected to mention Bill/SFNM's two most important attributes, intelligence and imagination.

    I've been following Bill/SFNM for coming on three decades though Usenet, chat rooms and forums, long before he bought his first Bernzomatic, immersion circulator or Klose BBQ pit, and quickly started learning, interacting and filing away his informed posts, ideas and out of the box techniques.

    Meeting Bill/SFNM in person is high on my life goal bucket list.

    Thank you for correcting my oversight. He is the complete package.

    I remember when he had a short film clip of a pita bread baking in the oven. I started taking film clips of people making food. Deta making burek is over 80,000 views the last time I checked.

    Very inspiring!

    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #84 - November 14th, 2018, 10:04 am
    Post #84 - November 14th, 2018, 10:04 am Post #84 - November 14th, 2018, 10:04 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:Whenever I have thought about you, I have always admired you having the lucky combination of: time, money and toys (cooking stuff like your wood fired oven).

    You neglected to mention Bill/SFNM's two most important attributes, intelligence and imagination.

    I've been following Bill/SFNM for coming on three decades though Usenet, chat rooms and forums, long before he bought his first Bernzomatic, immersion circulator or Klose BBQ pit, and quickly started learning, interacting and filing away his informed posts, ideas and out of the box techniques.

    Meeting Bill/SFNM in person is high on my life goal bucket list.


    What? No mention of my awesome humility?

    Seriously, I appreciate the kind words. And really look forward to meeting you someday IRL. I think we could have been twins separated at birth, but I am much younger and better looking! :D
  • Post #85 - November 14th, 2018, 10:15 am
    Post #85 - November 14th, 2018, 10:15 am Post #85 - November 14th, 2018, 10:15 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Thank you for correcting my oversight. He is the complete package.


    Wow. What a great way for a thread to go wildly off-topic! Thank you. I am embarrased by this kindness. I should return here more often.

    Back on-topic: I am loving the Breville. It does have a few drawbacks, but in many ways, it is a breakthrough in bringing delicious Neapolitan pizza to wider audience.
  • Post #86 - November 14th, 2018, 10:50 am
    Post #86 - November 14th, 2018, 10:50 am Post #86 - November 14th, 2018, 10:50 am
    Thanks, Bill! You just saved me building a pizza oven. I'm sticking with the parrilla, though...unless I get the Otto steak grill instead.
  • Post #87 - November 14th, 2018, 11:02 am
    Post #87 - November 14th, 2018, 11:02 am Post #87 - November 14th, 2018, 11:02 am
    Choey wrote:Thanks, Bill! You just saved me building a pizza oven. I'm sticking with the parrilla, though...unless I get the Otto steak grill instead.


    We need to talk (and enjoy some pizza), Choey. There are so many options better than a custom-built WFO. We live in amazing times!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more