LTH Home

Excuses

Excuses
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Excuses

Post #1 - January 31st, 2011, 4:59 pm
    Post #1 - January 31st, 2011, 4:59 pm Post #1 - January 31st, 2011, 4:59 pm
    I wonder if other LTH'ers make up excuses to eat their favorite indulgences. One of our favorites is "I need to fortify my strength to get through [enter hated chore here]; I should probably have some chocolate first." I was thinking that I should probably defrost that pie in the freezer so I can polish it off before the next Dessert Exchange, that way I won't be inundated with sweets later on. Earlier I drank a Kayo hot chocolate (not bad) to calm my frayed nerves (yes, chocolate has superpowers).

Does anyone else have similar twisted thought processes?
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #2 - January 31st, 2011, 5:18 pm
    Post #2 - January 31st, 2011, 5:18 pm Post #2 - January 31st, 2011, 5:18 pm
    Nope. No excuses. See food; eat food.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #3 - January 31st, 2011, 5:35 pm
    Post #3 - January 31st, 2011, 5:35 pm Post #3 - January 31st, 2011, 5:35 pm
    stevez wrote:Nope. No excuses. See food; eat food.

+1
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #4 - January 31st, 2011, 7:13 pm
    Post #4 - January 31st, 2011, 7:13 pm Post #4 - January 31st, 2011, 7:13 pm
    I really should eat the 32 oz. steak because I'm still growing.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #5 - January 31st, 2011, 7:25 pm
    Post #5 - January 31st, 2011, 7:25 pm Post #5 - January 31st, 2011, 7:25 pm
    stevez wrote:Nope. No excuses. See food; eat food.

brilliant sensei.

if you have to make excuses you are thinking too much & have not attained food nirvana.
  • Post #6 - February 1st, 2011, 2:19 am
    Post #6 - February 1st, 2011, 2:19 am Post #6 - February 1st, 2011, 2:19 am
    All eating is good;
    No excuses necessary.
    You pass, you suffer.
  • Post #7 - February 1st, 2011, 6:58 am
    Post #7 - February 1st, 2011, 6:58 am Post #7 - February 1st, 2011, 6:58 am
    This discussion touches on a central tenet of the Judeo-Christian tradition, which is that eating can, indeed, be very bad. It was the eating of an apple (or perhaps it was a pomegranate) that brought death into the world and all our woe with loss of Eden. So, you think it's cool to eat anything, anytime? See you in hell.

Thus endeth the lesson.

David "Holy One" Hammond
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #8 - February 1st, 2011, 8:45 am
    Post #8 - February 1st, 2011, 8:45 am Post #8 - February 1st, 2011, 8:45 am
    David Hammond wrote:See you in hell.

I'll bring the burn ointment.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #9 - February 1st, 2011, 9:03 am
    Post #9 - February 1st, 2011, 9:03 am Post #9 - February 1st, 2011, 9:03 am
    With that practice, at least I'd be warm.

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #10 - February 1st, 2011, 11:37 am
    Post #10 - February 1st, 2011, 11:37 am Post #10 - February 1st, 2011, 11:37 am
    stevez wrote:
    David Hammond wrote:See you in hell.

I'll bring the burn ointment.

HA! You think there'll be burn ointment in hell :twisted: ? Amateurs! You must not be Catholic.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #11 - February 1st, 2011, 11:55 am
    Post #11 - February 1st, 2011, 11:55 am Post #11 - February 1st, 2011, 11:55 am
    I don't get hell. Is it always fire & brimstone or is it just what each person finds most hellish? Is hell customizable? Cuz for me it would moderate temperatures but no pie.

I write stuff.
  • Post #12 - February 1st, 2011, 12:20 pm
    Post #12 - February 1st, 2011, 12:20 pm Post #12 - February 1st, 2011, 12:20 pm
    Well, seriously, hell isn't really fire and brimstone, in Catholic theology. It's permanent, eternal separation from God, however helllish and torturous you consider that to be, made all the more miserable by the knowledge that you've got no one to blame for it because you chose it yourself. I guess endless burning alive is just the classic medieval idea of maximum suffering.

On the subject of life after death, and such, a Jewish friend once said to me, "I suppose our view is that you make your own heaven or hell here on earth - for yourself and for other people." I see a lot of value to keeping that in mind.

But back to the food. Forget not to abstain from meat on a Friday, or to fast on a fast day? Forgetting may be a lapse of discipline, but I presume (!) God allows do-overs, as soon as you remember. Not that I think God is such a micromanager; I think it's really about developing one's own discipline. Sounds like I'm rambling, but I am honestly curious to hear how others whose food choices are constrained by their beliefs deal with lapses.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #13 - February 1st, 2011, 12:34 pm
    Post #13 - February 1st, 2011, 12:34 pm Post #13 - February 1st, 2011, 12:34 pm
    Well, I heard that God didn't create the universe/world in 6 days as we know them, they were 6 distinct blocks of time we just refer to as "days". In that case, creating darkness and light, say, could have taken the equivalent of 100 calendar days, for all I know. Thus if you forget and eat meat on Friday and abstain Saturday instead, I think the switch would be okay. But this comes from a person who has no organized religion so it's just a guess. What do Catholic vegans do on Fridays, as they would be abstaining from meat anyway? Do they avoid something else?

This is becoming quite an interesting thread!

I write stuff.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more