LTH Home

Oishinbo culinary manga - I miss it and want more!

Oishinbo culinary manga - I miss it and want more!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Oishinbo culinary manga - I miss it and want more!

Post #1 - May 21st, 2018, 10:23 am
    Post #1 - May 21st, 2018, 10:23 am Post #1 - May 21st, 2018, 10:23 am
    Has anyone read this spectacular food-focused series of manga penned by Tetsu Kariya and drawn by Akira Hanasaki? A friend recommended it to me -- lent me Volume 7-Izakaya Pub Food -- and before long, I'd ripped through it and all the 7 of the compendium editions that I know to be available in English. Now that I've finished reading them all, I miss it terribly.

Oishinbo chronicles the 'adventures' of Yamoaka, a young and notoriously lazy journalist who happens to have a spectacular palate and enormous knowledge of all things culinary. In the course of Yamoaka's work, travels and life, a vast amount of detailed information about food and beverage is conveyed . . . not just to the other characters in the series -- some of whom are taken down in glorious fashion -- but also to the reader. Of course, Yamaoka has his rivals, too . . . one of whom looms large in his life, and is a perpetual thorn in his paw.

It's unclear to me if these 7 compendium volumes represent the entirety of the series or if there is more out there. In any case, it appear that these 7 volumes -- available in paperback and on Kindle -- are all that have been translated into English but perhaps there is more Oishinbo out there. If anyone knows about this, I'd greatly appreciate being filled in. I'm looking for any of the series that's been translated into English, in any format.

For those of you who haven't read this, I highly recommend it. It's especially wonderful if you're at all interested in Japanese food and culture, which is its primary focus. I found it highly informative and massively entertaining, as well. And now, I'm jonesing for more (or perhaps, something else in a similar vein).

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #2 - May 24th, 2018, 9:48 pm
    Post #2 - May 24th, 2018, 9:48 pm Post #2 - May 24th, 2018, 9:48 pm
    I hadn't realized culinary manga was a "thing." You have a lot of reading ahead of you, Oishinbo ran 20 years: https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... ll-collide

You can try interlibrary loan to read more of the series.

It seems they are often made into anime as well as live-action shows. I saw two of four live-action miniseries episodes of the manga Little Forest. It is about a young woman who grows, forages, prepares and cooks her own food mostly through traditional methods and recipes. There is also a subplot of her missing estranged mother. The episodes are each tied to the four seasons, so the foods shown are all seasonal. Unfortunately we were only shown two episodes by the Japan Consulate here and this show does not seem to be available otherwise in the U.S.

Netflix has other food-related Manga live-action shows such as Solitary Gourmet, Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories, Kantarao: The Sweet Tooth Salaryman, Samurai Gourmet and I think a few more.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more