LTH Home

Cookbook clubs

Cookbook clubs
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Cookbook clubs

Post #1 - February 9th, 2019, 10:08 am
    Post #1 - February 9th, 2019, 10:08 am Post #1 - February 9th, 2019, 10:08 am
    After reading this article in Serious Eats, 4 other couple and I are starting a cookbook club.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/10/how ... -club.html

We would love to hear from anyone who has given this a try. The main thing we are concerned about is finding a book we all get our hands on for free but the real problem has been scheduling.

We have chosen Ottolenghi’s new cookbook SIMPLE to start.
  • Post #2 - February 9th, 2019, 10:44 am
    Post #2 - February 9th, 2019, 10:44 am Post #2 - February 9th, 2019, 10:44 am
    Hi,

I belong to cookbook clubs associated with libraries. Via the interlibrary loan system, they have usually been able to obtain every book desired. A few times, when it was books likely owned already: Julia Child or Silver Palate, we picked whatever we wanted from any book we happened to have or took from the library.

My first cookbook club was quite cerebral, because no food was allowed. The second cookbook club has everyone bringing food. Only twice in 18 months or so have people arrived with the same recipe.

Especially at the first cookbook club, I learned a lot about how people use cookbooks and execute recipes. My favorite situation are when people substantially change the recipe with major ingredient substitutions, then blame the author for the outcome.

Dessert Exchange acts like a cookbook club without any formal boundaries where the recipes are derived from. Every once in a while, a hostess may declare a theme, though that is pretty rare.

I think your friends and you will have a great time.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #3 - February 9th, 2019, 1:51 pm
    Post #3 - February 9th, 2019, 1:51 pm Post #3 - February 9th, 2019, 1:51 pm
    Hi- I noticed that both the Wilmette and the Northfield library have cookbook groups. Has anybody here participated in either one of them or both and do they prefer one group over another? Do you have to have a library card for that library in order to participate in the group? I noticed the one in Northfield meets this Monday evening, which is short notice for me. Both of those libraries are semi convenient for me, and especially the Wilmette library. Maybe I will suggest that they start one at the Evanston library. I am sure they could get a crowd for that. Thanks for any info. Nancy
  • Post #4 - February 9th, 2019, 2:19 pm
    Post #4 - February 9th, 2019, 2:19 pm Post #4 - February 9th, 2019, 2:19 pm
    For the past few years my wife and I have been part of something called Moveable Feast (yeah, sorry, I didn't name it). It's just us and 2 other couples, and we get together roughly every other month to cook a collaborative dinner together. The basic concept is that the venue of the meal rotates between the homes of the 3 couples, and the hosting couple gets to set the theme. It's not firmly cookbook-based per se but the hosts could (and have) set a theme that is specifically based on recipes from a single book. More often, though, the themes are based on a region (e.g. Yucatan, Provence) or a specific type of cuisine (Izakaya, stuffed foods, orange foods) .

In any case, it's an extremely enjoyable and educational endeavor. I've learned a lot and have also really pushed the boundaries of my cooking abilities. It's very satisfying to learn how to cook things I've eaten many times, and add them to my knowledge base and cooking repertoire.

Having the event scheduled regularly keeps me from getting complacent, and having 2/3 of the themes set by the other couples is a great way to get me out of my comfort zone, and cooking things that I might not have ever attempted otherwise.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #5 - February 17th, 2019, 7:56 pm
    Post #5 - February 17th, 2019, 7:56 pm Post #5 - February 17th, 2019, 7:56 pm
    I helped start a cookbook club at the Villa Park Library. We started with an online survey to gauge interest in the club and type of cookbooks to review. We plan four months at a time, using a different genre each month.

We check out the books and spend a month trying recipes and bring our favorite to the meeting. Disles are brought in slow cookers or insulated carriers if they are to be served hot.

Throughout the month I'll post photos of what I've made and reference the book, recipe name, and page number to the Friends of the Library Facebook page as a way of drumming up interest.

We've only met twice so far and it's been a bit slow to start with four to five people at each meeting, which includes the library facilitator and myself. We're hoping that interest grows as over 30 people responded to the survey.
    Ms. Ingie
    Life is too short, why skip dessert?
  • Post #6 - February 19th, 2019, 2:57 pm
    Post #6 - February 19th, 2019, 2:57 pm Post #6 - February 19th, 2019, 2:57 pm
    Thanks one and all for the suggestions and ideas. We are not meeting until May (scheduling is our biggest challenge) but I will certainly check back in and let you know how it goes.
  • Post #7 - February 19th, 2019, 3:28 pm
    Post #7 - February 19th, 2019, 3:28 pm Post #7 - February 19th, 2019, 3:28 pm
    Many years ago my wife & I were part of a dining group (like Ronnie's) with rotating locations and themes. The emphasis was social and dining, but everyone made a good effort when it came to cooking.

I particularly remember one fellow who was from Milan and grumbled all the time about the presence of tomato sauce in Italian food in America. Of course, he had a point as that's more southern than northern Italian, but he was so persistent that we had fun needling him.

Regardless, you'll have a lot of fun whether it's cookbooks or a dining / cooking group. Let us know how it works out.
    Where there’s smoke, there may be salmon.
  • Post #8 - March 16th, 2019, 5:47 pm
    Post #8 - March 16th, 2019, 5:47 pm Post #8 - March 16th, 2019, 5:47 pm
    We chose Ottolenghi Simple: A Cookbook for our first round and I thought I would stop by Sanabel Bakery on Kedzie for pita. I see that there have not been any posts since 2015 and am wondering if it is still great? Any other place you would recommend?

Also, is it one of those places you have to get there first thing, as soon as they open, to get the good stuff?
  • Post #9 - March 17th, 2019, 11:50 am
    Post #9 - March 17th, 2019, 11:50 am Post #9 - March 17th, 2019, 11:50 am
    Sanabel Bakery is our usual source for pita. I usually buy the whole wheat type, but they produce white as well. They have a large wholesale business and produce over a fair part of the day. There is no need to get there when they open.
  • Post #10 - March 28th, 2019, 8:28 pm
    Post #10 - March 28th, 2019, 8:28 pm Post #10 - March 28th, 2019, 8:28 pm
    This thread is right up my alley!
    I'd welcome an invite for any local clubs.
    Cooking The Books
    A different cookbook every week!
    https://www.instagram.com/we_cook_books
  • Post #11 - April 4th, 2019, 4:57 pm
    Post #11 - April 4th, 2019, 4:57 pm Post #11 - April 4th, 2019, 4:57 pm
    cookingthebooks wrote:This thread is right up my alley!
    I'd welcome an invite for any local clubs.

Are you suggesting you would do a guest appearance?

Lake Forest Library has a cookbook club, you may want to contact them.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #12 - April 5th, 2019, 9:33 pm
    Post #12 - April 5th, 2019, 9:33 pm Post #12 - April 5th, 2019, 9:33 pm
    There are also cookbook clubs at the Wilmette and Winnetka library, and somebody here mentioned something about one in the Western suburbs that is looking for more members.

Cooking the books, I looked at your profile, and I noticed that you have a website where you cook from a different cookbook each week, and report about it on the website. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #13 - April 10th, 2019, 12:22 pm
    Post #13 - April 10th, 2019, 12:22 pm Post #13 - April 10th, 2019, 12:22 pm
    Assorted Chicago Public Library branches also have cookbook clubs, for those who live in, or close to, the city.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more