LTH Home

Forks Over Knives

Forks Over Knives
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Forks Over Knives

Post #1 - January 9th, 2012, 9:54 am
    Post #1 - January 9th, 2012, 9:54 am Post #1 - January 9th, 2012, 9:54 am
    Mr. X and I went to a screening last night of "Forks Over Knives" at the Whole Foods Wellness Center at the Kingsbury Store.

The feature film Forks Over Knives examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting animal-based and processed foods.

The premise is not new, but I admit the movie makes a compelling case for a whole foods, plant-based diet for health reasons. We’re going to try a two week run in the next month and see how we feel.

http://www.forksoverknives.com/
    -Mary
  • Post #2 - January 9th, 2012, 9:59 am
    Post #2 - January 9th, 2012, 9:59 am Post #2 - January 9th, 2012, 9:59 am
    I so wish I could do this. I think there is a lot of wisdom in it. I have tried only to fall off the wagon after a week or so. Its so hard to get away from our diets and food preferences. Please report back on your experiences.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #3 - January 9th, 2012, 10:05 am
    Post #3 - January 9th, 2012, 10:05 am Post #3 - January 9th, 2012, 10:05 am
    I usually turn to Marion Nestle to help me understand nutrition research. Here is her take:

Q. I was recently given to read a book titled "The China Study" which is based on research conducted in 1970′s in China by Dr. Colin Campbell. His main conclusion is that eating dairy and meat causes cancer. His resolution is that a plant-based diet (i.e. vegan) is the (only?) healthy diet for humans. This book has made strong enough of a point to convince several of my friends to "convert" to a vegan diet in order to save their health. Could you share some comments on the validity of the research and conclusions this book presents with regards to detrimental effects of dairy and meat on human health?

A [Nestle]. Campbell makes a forceful argument based on his interpretation of the research and on case studies of people whose diseases resolved when they became vegans. And yes I've seen Dr. Campbell's new movie, Forks over Knives. The first half is a terrific introduction to how the current food environment promotes unhealthy eating. The second half promotes Dr. Campbell's ideas about the hazards of meat and dairy foods.

Whether you agree with these ideas or not, the film is well done and worth a look.

Some scientists, however, interpret the research as demonstrating that people are healthier when they eat dairy foods. For example, the enormous consensus report on diet and cancer risk from the American Institute for Cancer Research and the World Cancer Research Fund concluded in 2007 that eating lots of red meat and processed meat is convincingly associated with an increased risk of colorectal cancer (but no others). On the other hand, they found dairy foods to be associated with a decrease in the risk of colorectal cancer. They found limited and less convincing evidence that dairy foods might decrease the risk of bladder cancer but increase the risk of prostate cancer.

How to make sense of this? These are two food groups in the diets of people who consume many kinds of foods and who do many things that might increase or decrease cancer risk. Given this complexity, one food or food group seems unlikely to have that much influence on cancer when considered in the context of everything else people eat and do.

Nutrition research, as I am fond of saying, is difficult to do and requires interpretation. Intelligent people can interpret the studies differently depending on their point of view.

The new Dietary Guidelines say to cut down on saturated fats. Those are most plentiful in meat and dairy foods (plant foods have them, but in smaller amounts). Pretty much everyone agrees that plant-based diets promote health. But whether they have to be 100-percent plant-based is highly debatable.

The new USDA MyPlate food guide suggests piling plant foods--fruit, vegetables, and grains--on 75 percent of your plate, so the argument is really about what goes on the remaining 25 percent, what USDA calls the "Protein" section. You can put beans in that quarter if you don't want to eat red meat, poultry, or fish.

I might add that there is a very big difference between trying a food program for a short period of time and feeling better (either physically or mentally), versus that diet preventing certain diseases. Both are good reasons for changing what you eat, how much you eat, and your exercise habits. But one doesn't necessarily imply the other.
  • Post #4 - January 30th, 2012, 9:08 am
    Post #4 - January 30th, 2012, 9:08 am Post #4 - January 30th, 2012, 9:08 am
    We're in Week 2 of the whole food, plant-based eating experiment. We are doing this just to see how we feel without meat, dairy and oil. I can report that we have both lost weight. I'm down three pounds in a week and that's without any change in exercise. Mr. X is down more, but he has increased his exercise. We agree that our energy level is more steady if not increased. The fridge has been full of fruits and veggies and I cooked up black beans, garbanzos and brown rice to have on hand and ready. We've even ventured out to a few of the vegan places in town! (posts to follow)

I know that we are learning good things with this experiment. We will incorporate some of these new eating habits after the experiment ends, maybe weekday vegetarians or something. We like food too much to be full time vegans. :-)
    -Mary
  • Post #5 - April 10th, 2012, 10:38 pm
    Post #5 - April 10th, 2012, 10:38 pm Post #5 - April 10th, 2012, 10:38 pm
    Looking forward to hearing more.
  • Post #6 - October 22nd, 2017, 4:31 pm
    Post #6 - October 22nd, 2017, 4:31 pm Post #6 - October 22nd, 2017, 4:31 pm
    Hi- I don't know how many people would be interested in it, but Forks Over Knives is hosting a webinar at 6:00 pm, on 10/24, which is Tuesday. It is free Here is the link to sign up for it.

https://www.forksoverknives.com/calorie ... gs.OoHX2QU
    It goes into how to lose weight by switching to a nutrition dense diet. The doctor that wrote the book, is going to be leading it.

This weight loss group I am involved in is going to be watching it as a group, otherwise I would have never heard about it. I have mixed feelings about a vegan diet, and no I could not see myself eating a 100% vegan diet. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #7 - October 23rd, 2017, 9:28 am
    Post #7 - October 23rd, 2017, 9:28 am Post #7 - October 23rd, 2017, 9:28 am
    NFriday wrote:I have mixed feelings about a vegan diet, and no I could not see myself eating a 100% vegan diet. Hope this helps, Nancy

I have been eating a plant based (vegan) diet for two years this December. Our youngest daughter, who is in college (so still somewhat at home) had been doing it for a couple years prior. I did it after seeing 'Forks over Knives' and some other plant based diet movies. When I said I would try it my wife adopted as did our two older daughters who are out of the house. Their boyfriends have also adopted plant based.

My main motivation was my health, but environmental issues also played a part. I keep my thoughts to myself, if someone asks, I will share.

When I went into this, I knew I could never not eat meat or cheese ever again. I do have meat or cheese on occasion, if I have a craving, or at a restaurant that leaves no good options. I am OK with this approach and I think this is key for many people. If everyone decreased their meat and dairy intake, it would be good for them and the environment. I do not miss meat that much and when I have a craving it is usually for sausage, a good burger, or charcuterie. I really don't miss steaks, chops, chicken, or fish. I do miss great cheese, but I can handle it, don't really crave it. Rarely crave sweets anymore.

I have always loved fruits and vegetables. My favorite way to cook is with great produce from a farmers market and in the past I would select a meat or fish dish to cook, but the highlights were the great produce.

Eating out is the biggest challenge, restaurants think folks don't want vegan options, but the fact is vegans check online menus prior to going to a restaurant and just avoid places that don't make an effort.

IMO, many vegans may have come off a bit 'strong' in the past, which turned off many people. You had to be 100% vegan, and never stray. That may not work for many people who grew up eating meat and dairy their entire life, except for folks who never liked meat or are lactose intolerant.

Bottom line, is I don't miss meat and dairy much and my health is getting better every day.

My wife is a devotee of Dr. Michael Greger and his website nutritionfacts.org. He is sometimes a bit much for me, but I do agree with most of his evidence based findings.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.

Good luck,
    Al
  • Post #8 - November 3rd, 2018, 11:24 pm
    Post #8 - November 3rd, 2018, 11:24 pm Post #8 - November 3rd, 2018, 11:24 pm
    i know this discussion is a few years old, but, i have recent history with implementing the whole food, plant based diet that speaks to its incredible power.

i was diagnosed with congestive heart failure in march of this year. i had a 2-D echocardiogram that indicated an ejection fraction of 30%. i was admitted to the hospital again in july 15th for edema related to the chf, and an showed signs of an apparent heart attack. another 2-D was done, and my e.f. had dropped to 29%. on discharge, i decided to change over to the wfpb diet lifestyle as defined by dr. caldwell esselstyn. of all the noted practitioners of the wfpb lifestyle, dr. esselstyn's recommendations are considered the more restrictive, but have been proven to reverse significant cardiovascular disease.

after approximately 90 days on the diet, i had another 2-D echo done. my e.f. estimate was between 55-60%, meaning, i was in the normal range, and my cardiologist removed the diagnosis of chf. i had had a nuclear stress test prior to the 2-D that indicated that i had had a heart attack in my past, that did damage to an interior part of my heart, and created a blockage of one of my vessels. he indicated that normally he would prescribe a statin to lower my cholesterol level, hdl, ldl, and lipid profile, but my levels were already below the targeted levels for those patients put on statins.

i would encourage anyone struggling with dietary related diseases to consider implementing this food lifestyle change, as it is a health game changer.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more