LTH Home

Obit: tarte tatin (aka Gale Adams)

Obit: tarte tatin (aka Gale Adams)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Obit: tarte tatin (aka Gale Adams)

Post #1 - March 18th, 2017, 10:18 pm
    Post #1 - March 18th, 2017, 10:18 pm Post #1 - March 18th, 2017, 10:18 pm
    I’m sorry to report that active, enthusiastic LTHer, Gale Adams (aka tarte tatin), passed away last month. She was 70 years old.

Gale truly enjoyed good food, and getting together with other LTHers. Despite her limited mobility, and a number of other health problems, she always made the effort to be there and break bread with her LTH friends, joking and in good spirits. She was a mainstay of the long-running (10+ years) Evanston Lunch Group™.

I first met Gale at the long-gone, little-missed Cajun Charlie’s. I was there with Gwiv and Cathy2 to plan a 2006 Mardi Gras event for LTH.

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6981

It was a remarkable event. Remarkable, primarily, because it may have been the most disappointing LTH event ever. The kitchen was very slow at delivering food, and what was delivered was, shall we say, at best, edible. Apparently, the restaurant was having significant financial difficulties.

viewtopic.php?t=7373

But Gale was there at an adjacent table during that planing meeting, She overheard and independently confirmed all the glorious promises the chef made to us for the evening.

Gale lived alone, in a large house in South Evanston, where she raised her family. In late February, after missing a few LTH events and not responding to texts and voice messages from EvA and me, I asked the City of Evanston to do a well-being check on her, March 2nd. They found her body, victim of a heart attack.

Her obituary is here, although it’s incorrect as to the date of death. It lists March 2 as the date of death; that was the date of the well-being check and the date her family was notified. Her last visit to LTHForum.com was February 22, so her heart attack was probably some time between February 22 and the first event she missed, February 26.

Visitation will be held Saturday, March 25, at 9:15 a.m.; Mass at 10 a.m. at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church, 1775 Grove St., Glenview. Interment at All Saints Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to The Cradle Foundation at 847-475-5800 or http://www.cradle.org/.
  • Post #2 - March 18th, 2017, 11:13 pm
    Post #2 - March 18th, 2017, 11:13 pm Post #2 - March 18th, 2017, 11:13 pm
    Hi,

It is sad to see Gale leave. We had a long standing plan to have a kidney dinner at Salam. It never happened despite repeated attempts.

She really appreciated her interactions with the LTH community. Gale liked checking people in at the picnic. Her attendance at lunches and dinners was a triumph of her spirit over her physical limitations.

As I recall at our first chance meeting at Cajun
    Charlies, Gale initiated the conversation after overhearing our plans. It was great to meet her soon thereafter and for years to come.

Thanks to Tom and EvA for reaching out to Gale and making that call to the police. It's too bad the outcome wasn't what was wanted, though you were all true friends to her.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #3 - March 19th, 2017, 3:06 am
    Post #3 - March 19th, 2017, 3:06 am Post #3 - March 19th, 2017, 3:06 am
    I simply just did not expect to see this.

Thanks for checking in and requesting a wellness check.

Going to pull recipes for her handle here.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #4 - March 20th, 2017, 9:03 am
    Post #4 - March 20th, 2017, 9:03 am Post #4 - March 20th, 2017, 9:03 am
    Gale has been in my thoughts often since we learned of her death. As Tom says in his excellent obit, she never let her physical issues stop her from participating and enjoying life. We will certainly miss her a great deal at LTH events, which she loved. We'll be toasting her tomorrow at our Evanston Lunch Group. Thanks, Tom, for being a good friend to her until the very end.

Evy
  • Post #5 - March 21st, 2017, 9:39 pm
    Post #5 - March 21st, 2017, 9:39 pm Post #5 - March 21st, 2017, 9:39 pm
    Gale -- or Tart as I have always called her -- was always a gamesome participant at LTH events, and I appreciated her spirit, which continued to be good despite her mobility challenges.

Tom, though it may seem strange to say, thanks for reminding me of Cajun Charlie's; just the other day, I was trying to remember the name of that place of the infamous dinner.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #6 - March 22nd, 2017, 1:01 pm
    Post #6 - March 22nd, 2017, 1:01 pm Post #6 - March 22nd, 2017, 1:01 pm
    This is sad news, indeed. I helped Gale/Tarte at the picnic each year, and got to enjoy her enthusiasm and joie de vivre as a result. Sorry to not have that to look forward to this year. She was a jolly soul and always added to the fun, at whatever event I encountered her. She will be missed.

I'm impressed that her passing was discovered because of her association with LTHForum. It's a good reminder of how remarkable this group is.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #7 - March 22nd, 2017, 1:55 pm
    Post #7 - March 22nd, 2017, 1:55 pm Post #7 - March 22nd, 2017, 1:55 pm
    Cynthia wrote:This is sad news, indeed. I helped Gale/Tarte at the picnic each year, and got to enjoy her enthusiasm and joie de vivre as a result. Sorry to not have that to look forward to this year. She was a jolly soul and always added to the fun, at whatever event I encountered her. She will be missed.

I'm impressed that her passing was discovered because of her association with LTHForum. It's a good reminder of how remarkable this group is.

Hear, hear. I will ever think of Gale fondly, including her Julia Child-inflected delivery of her own handle when introduced, and wish comfort and full tables to all those mourning her.
  • Post #8 - March 22nd, 2017, 4:09 pm
    Post #8 - March 22nd, 2017, 4:09 pm Post #8 - March 22nd, 2017, 4:09 pm
    Cynthia wrote:I'm impressed that her passing was discovered because of her association with LTHForum. It's a good reminder of how remarkable this group is.

Yes! It is something that has been ticking in the back of head ever since it happened. Family is family, but the friends you choose can have considerable impact on your life. I'm so glad Gale picked 'us' and 'we' were there for her, especially Tom and Eva.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more