LTH Home

South Side BBQ - Chicago's unsung hero.

South Side BBQ - Chicago's unsung hero.
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Does South Side style BBQ get is propers from the rest of the city?
    Yes
    25%
    No
    75%
    Total votes : 8
  • South Side BBQ - Chicago's unsung hero.

Post #1 - February 9th, 2018, 12:54 pm
    Post #1 - February 9th, 2018, 12:54 pm Post #1 - February 9th, 2018, 12:54 pm
    I just read this article in Saveur By ex-tribune writer Kevin Pang:

https://www.saveur.com/chicago-barbecue

I figured I'd post it here first as a thanks to LTH for putting this non-Chicago native on to the gem that is chi bbq in time for me to enjoy a meal at the original Uncle John's.

Secondly I think Kevin makes a good point about the lack of appreciation from the Northside bbq establishments for the cities own regional style.

PS - would a trip to Homewood from Lincoln Square in today's storm be unreasonable?
    "My family dumplings are sleek and seductive, yet stout and masculine. They taste of meat yet of flour. They are wet, yet they dry. They have weight but are light. Airy, yet substantial. Earth, air, fire, water; velvet and elastic! Meat, wheat, and magic! They are our family glory!" -- Robert P. Tristram Coffin
  • Post #2 - February 9th, 2018, 2:22 pm
    Post #2 - February 9th, 2018, 2:22 pm Post #2 - February 9th, 2018, 2:22 pm
    marmiton wrote:PS - would a trip to Homewood from Lincoln Square in today's storm be unreasonable?

Having just driven from Champaign to Logan Square, I'd recommend holding off. It's not exactly perilous out there but it sure was annoying and slow-going. Otoh, if you've got nothing but time and you're sure they're open . . .

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #3 - February 9th, 2018, 7:48 pm
    Post #3 - February 9th, 2018, 7:48 pm Post #3 - February 9th, 2018, 7:48 pm
    Hi,

I got into a friendly argument with a customer at Steamboat BBQ in Wheaton. I had noticed he had some burnt ends on his plate.

He extolled on the great BBQ cities: Kansas City, Memphis, Texas (sic) and South Carolina (sic). What about Chicago? Chicago sucks!

"What about Honey 1?"
    "Where is it?" "Cottage Grove and 41st roughly."
    "What? You want to get me killed?"
    "I've been there and not a scratch."

Knowing how he reacted, I recited a few more south side destinations with the same reaction.

He had been to Smoque, but he thinks it sucks. He does like Lillie's Q. He likes Steamboat noting the BBQ guy was once from Baby Ray's BBQ joint.

I happen to like Steamboat.

For some people, Chicago's south side is unknown territory.

Regards,
    Cathy
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #4 - February 9th, 2018, 10:30 pm
    Post #4 - February 9th, 2018, 10:30 pm Post #4 - February 9th, 2018, 10:30 pm
    It's funny when you consider that Honey 1, not so long ago, was north side BBQ. Well not really, it's always been south side BBQ regardless of it's location.

Most of the things that people usually say define south side BBQ were actually quite prevalent 50 years ago on the north side. Probably the best south side style BBQ ever was Farmer Browns on Clybourn a little north of Division. Not exactly the south side.
  • Post #5 - February 10th, 2018, 12:47 am
    Post #5 - February 10th, 2018, 12:47 am Post #5 - February 10th, 2018, 12:47 am
    I really like Chicago bbq --both south side and north side nouveau styles. In fact, I even got into a bit of a tiff defending Chicago bbq when I attended BBQ University (see end of post). That said, imo, it's a bit of a stretch to even imply that it's on the same level as the great, top-tier bbq from Hill Country, North Carolina (all regions), Kansas City or even Memphis, (which I think is a solid rung below these others). Yes it's definitely a distinctive style but Chicago South Side BBQ, for all its wonderfulness, it just not just not in that class. I'm sorry to be such an anti-homer. I'll just go crawl into a corner and hide now in shame now. :(

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #6 - January 8th, 2020, 7:08 am
    Post #6 - January 8th, 2020, 7:08 am Post #6 - January 8th, 2020, 7:08 am
    Woman-owned barbecue business Lexington Betty Smoke House is slated to open February 1 inside the South Side’s One Eleven Food Hall at 756 E. 111th Street

https://chicago.eater.com/2020/1/7/2105 ... ood-report
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more