LTH Home

Going from restaurant critic to restauranteur

Going from restaurant critic to restauranteur
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Going from restaurant critic to restauranteur

Post #1 - October 4th, 2018, 5:16 pm
    Post #1 - October 4th, 2018, 5:16 pm Post #1 - October 4th, 2018, 5:16 pm
    Dear Restaurant Owners: Please Forgive Me, A former food writer turned restaurateur repents.
    During my 15 years as a magazine editor for San Francisco magazine, I wrote trend pieces and annually selected the city’s Best New Restaurants. I was never a star-slinging restaurant critic per se. But there’s no denying the power of any kind of press—demonstrated by the fact that people pony up $5,000 a month to keep a publicist on retainer. It can make a writer a little delusional. After 20 years of covering what seemed like every nook and cranny of the restaurant industry, I passed judgment blithely. I thought I knew what I was talking about.

If this were a video, there would now be a dramatic pause. Then I would laugh hysterically. It turns out that there are some things you just can’t know until a restaurant is your livelihood and your life. Here are my top ten lessons learned.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - October 5th, 2018, 12:18 pm
    Post #2 - October 5th, 2018, 12:18 pm Post #2 - October 5th, 2018, 12:18 pm
    Great perspective! Thanks for sharing this Cathy.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more