LTH Home

'Closed For Renovations' - why do restaurant owners lie?

'Closed For Renovations' - why do restaurant owners lie?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - February 11th, 2019, 7:13 pm
    Post #31 - February 11th, 2019, 7:13 pm Post #31 - February 11th, 2019, 7:13 pm
    diversedancer wrote:I've always been a defender of the defenseless.

Underdog2.jpg .
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #32 - February 11th, 2019, 7:24 pm
    Post #32 - February 11th, 2019, 7:24 pm Post #32 - February 11th, 2019, 7:24 pm
    Maybe the definition of "renovations" is substantially flexible? As in "Closed while we try to end the lease on one of our fryers and see if we can live without one of the dishwashers" or even "Closed while our vendor removes the soap and hand-towel dispensers from our bathroom and we find a less costly supplier"? Just a thought. It ventures into half-truth at that point.
  • Post #33 - February 11th, 2019, 10:59 pm
    Post #33 - February 11th, 2019, 10:59 pm Post #33 - February 11th, 2019, 10:59 pm
    Drover wrote:
    diversedancer wrote:And yes, I know I'm personally an idiot for going up against multiple moderators and a charter member. I've always been a defender of the defenseless.

I'm sure the burden weighs heavily on your shoulders. :roll:

Hahaha. I lol'd

I just realized this person was the one that speculated about the San Soo Gab San staff showing prejudice towards non Asians. So yeah, good times...
  • Post #34 - February 12th, 2019, 7:57 am
    Post #34 - February 12th, 2019, 7:57 am Post #34 - February 12th, 2019, 7:57 am
    cilantro wrote:(Please excuse any typos -- am posting from Idlib Province and trying to dodge crossfire. Also, can't seem to get 5G here, wtf. Oh shit, incomi

Ha ha ha!
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"

As Carl Sagan once said, to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. And sometimes I just don't have the time and energy to invent the universe. So I figure it's okay to buy some stuff.
  • Post #35 - February 12th, 2019, 10:55 am
    Post #35 - February 12th, 2019, 10:55 am Post #35 - February 12th, 2019, 10:55 am
    How about one or more of the following?

high prices
    bad management
    bad service
    bad food
    not enough staff
    lack of credit
    lack of rent payment
    failed health inspections
    bad partnership
    equipment replacement costs
    bad Yelp or Trip Advisor reviews
    on going neighborhood construction
    lack of good parking
    after a fire
    after a flood
    plumbing replacement
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #36 - February 12th, 2019, 10:59 am
    Post #36 - February 12th, 2019, 10:59 am Post #36 - February 12th, 2019, 10:59 am
    chicagostyledog wrote:How about one or more of the following?

high prices
    bad management
    bad service
    bad food
    not enough staff
    lack of credit
    lack of rent payment
    bad partnership
    lack of good parking
    after a fire
    after a flood
    plumbing replacement

These are reasons they lie? They seem more like reasons they close.

=R=
    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #37 - February 12th, 2019, 2:55 pm
    Post #37 - February 12th, 2019, 2:55 pm Post #37 - February 12th, 2019, 2:55 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    chicagostyledog wrote:How about one or more of the following?

high prices
    bad management
    bad service
    bad food
    not enough staff
    lack of credit
    lack of rent payment
    bad partnership
    lack of good parking
    after a fire
    after a flood
    plumbing replacement

These are reasons they lie? They seem more like reasons they close.

=R=

You are correct. These are some reasons restaurants close. No restaurant owner would post "Closed due to bad food" or "Sorry, our partnership failed." As you mentioned, owners fabricate a reason and post "Closed for renovations." Why? I have no idea. Possibly shame, feelings of failure, embarrassment.

If I were to close a restaurant, I'd post:
    Thanks so much for your business.
    We've decided to take a vacation.
    An indefinite vacation.
    Take care and be well.

CSD
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #38 - February 12th, 2019, 3:04 pm
    Post #38 - February 12th, 2019, 3:04 pm Post #38 - February 12th, 2019, 3:04 pm
    chicagostyledog wrote:If I were to close a restaurant, I'd post:
    Thanks so much for your business.
    We've decided to take a vacation.
    An indefinite vacation.
    Take care and be well.

Love it!

=R=
    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

• Post #39 - February 15th, 2019, 12:40 pm
    Post #39 - February 15th, 2019, 12:40 pm Post #39 - February 15th, 2019, 12:40 pm
    Artie wrote:
    Panther in the Den wrote:This recently happened at...
    Hackney's
    9550 123rd St, Palos Park

Dammit! I discovered the existence of that location last summer but had yet to make the trip. I haven't had a Hackneyburger since the Printer's Row location turned over. Now I have to find a reason to get up north before it's too late.
  • Post #40 - February 17th, 2019, 4:13 pm
    Post #40 - February 17th, 2019, 4:13 pm Post #40 - February 17th, 2019, 4:13 pm
    Didn't County BBQ on Taylor recently reopen about 2 years of being closed for renovations after a fire?
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #41 - February 17th, 2019, 7:30 pm
    Post #41 - February 17th, 2019, 7:30 pm Post #41 - February 17th, 2019, 7:30 pm
    leek wrote:Didn't County BBQ on Taylor recently reopen about 2 years of being closed for renovations after a fire?

I don't know. But in case it isn't obvious, when I started this thread I wasn't referring to renovations or temporary closings that were due to fire or related to insurance in any way. In those matters, the delays are frequently beyond the operator's control.

=R=

• Post #42 - March 6th, 2019, 12:00 pm
    Post #42 - March 6th, 2019, 12:00 pm Post #42 - March 6th, 2019, 12:00 pm
    Another one to put on the "Closed for Remodeling" Death Watch (hereinafter referred to as CFRDW™): all three locations of Señor Pan, even though two of them have been open no more than three years. :roll:

They claim they will re-open April 1st. I suspect that will turn out to be an April Fools joke.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more