LTH Home

Evanston Lunch Group: Ben Tre Cafe, Monday Jan 12, 12:30

Evanston Lunch Group: Ben Tre Cafe, Monday Jan 12, 12:30
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - January 12th, 2009, 10:05 pm
    Post #31 - January 12th, 2009, 10:05 pm Post #31 - January 12th, 2009, 10:05 pm
    Sorry about the difficult parking situation, but I'll go ahead and blame the snow for that. Otherwise, it was great to see such a strong turnout for an Evanston lunch.

A bit of bahn xeo.

The meatball spring roll and an iced coffee.

The rare beef and flank pho hit the spot on this cold day.

The pork chop (I think) and fried egg. I tried to snag a taste, but Mr. Mhays swatted my hand away with a butter knife.

I thought the highlight of the meal was the salt and pepper squid.

Followed closely by the salt and pepper oysters.

Followed closely by the minced goat and the ...

... rice cracker, particularly when eaten ...

... together.

I apologize for my date getting a bit rowdy. She surely threw a wrench into my plans to eat and photograph as I had wished. But, as per her usual behavior, after a couple of drinks she nodded off. Thanks everyone for your patience and especially for those who threw food on my plate while I was tending to Alice.
    Did you know there is an LTHforum Flickr group? I just found it...
  • Post #32 - January 13th, 2009, 8:07 am
    Post #32 - January 13th, 2009, 8:07 am Post #32 - January 13th, 2009, 8:07 am
    ChgoMike wrote:Otherwise, it was great to see such a strong turnout for an Evanston lunch.

Mike,

Thanks for letting non Evanston residents into the ELG club, terrific lunch and good to meet in person Pie Lady and jmn123, in addition to seeing old LTHForum friends.

I've enjoyed the few meals I've had a Ben Tre Cafe, but yesterdays lunch seemed to really hit the mark. In particular enticingly fragrant Pho, crunchy punchy Salt and Pepper Squid and Rice Cracker with Minced Goat, lightly sweet, almost floral, notes playing well off neutral/crisp rice cracker.

Salt Pepper Squid

Rice Cracker, Minced Goat

tart tatin, GAF, French Couple, Jason

Pie Lady, Steve Z

jmn123, tarte tatin, GAF, French Couple

ChgoMike, Alice

Sach Ly, V Truong

Great company, good food, perfect lunch for a cold blustery day.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #33 - January 13th, 2009, 4:47 pm
    Post #33 - January 13th, 2009, 4:47 pm Post #33 - January 13th, 2009, 4:47 pm
    I'd never been to Ben Tre before - thanks Mike for setting this up, and forgive me for coughing through the meal. I'll have to go back for the salt and pepper squid, although I thought the salt and pepper oyster had a great combination of crunch from the coating and smooth, unctuousness from the oysters.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more