Chefs

Posted August 22nd 2011, 4:28pm
Okay Canners, Foragers, Jammers, Picklers, and the folks who love them,

I know how hard it is to get it together. I also know how hard we all just want to live our social lives spontaneously, but I find if it isn't on my calendar it just doesn't exist.

We are going back to the home of the 1st Canning Exchange on October 29th at 1 pm, GNR The Brown Sack. The Brown Sack is located at 3581 W. Belden, Chicago, Il.

This gives you plenty of time to try new recipes and set aside a few extra just so you feel like you have enough things to swap.

Oh yeah, please feel free to join for the fellowship, even if you aren't preserving food but you are interested in seeing what others do and how they do it.

Attendees

Beans
boudreaulicious
Cathy2 + 2 lovers of CFJP's
Cooke Monster
Eli
kelseyjnelson
mbh+1
Nancy
nancyinajam
pairs4life + 3
Parum Morsus
Pucca
razbry
Romantic Cynic

Exchangers

boudreaulicious
Cathy2
Cookie Monster
Eli
kelseyjnelson
mbh
Nancy
naancyinjam
pairs4life
pairs4life's guest (Rosita)
razbry
Romantic Cynic

The Brown Sack (cash only, they do have an atm there)
3581 W. Belden
Chicago, Il 60647
773-661-0675
Last edited by pairs4life on October 27th 2011, 2:10pm, edited 18 times in total.

Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening

Lead Moderator
Posted August 22nd 2011, 4:30pm
Hi,

I'm in, though please include Mom1 and Mom2 as interested spectators.

Regards,

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
(Online)
Web
Posted August 22nd 2011, 5:05pm
Wouldn't miss it! And, assuming that they can hold us, Brown Sack was a great location!

"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
Posted September 5th 2011, 9:33pm
I would love to come--pickles and jams are my hobby--excellent idea!
Please keep me posted on the details.
Posted September 5th 2011, 10:06pm
nancy wrote:I would love to come--pickles and jams are my hobby--excellent idea!
Please keep me posted on the details.

Will do.

Nancy we have time, so I'm, just waiting to pick the place once I see how many folks are participating.

Cheers & Pinging Lids!

Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Posted September 9th 2011, 9:46am
This sounds so interesting. Can you give details, like the size of jars, how many varities you need to bring, and I'm guessing the quantity of each variety is dependent on the number of people attending. Also, got a bead on where this is going to happen yet?
(Online)
Web
Posted September 9th 2011, 10:28am
razbry wrote:This sounds so interesting. Can you give details, like the size of jars, how many varities you need to bring, and I'm guessing the quantity of each variety is dependent on the number of people attending. Also, got a bead on where this is going to happen yet?

This is a very informal exchange--basically, you bring anything you feel you can part with and negotiate trades with others who attend. You can bring as much or as little as you'd like--sizes, ingredients, etc. are all at your discretion. What you end up with depends on the demand for what you brought :P

I think we're still figuring out a location but stay tuned. We typically try to pick a central location with parking somewhere around the city. I hope you can make it!!!

"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
Posted September 9th 2011, 5:02pm
boudreaulicious wrote:
razbry wrote:This sounds so interesting. Can you give details, like the size of jars, how many varities you need to bring, and I'm guessing the quantity of each variety is dependent on the number of people attending. Also, got a bead on where this is going to happen yet?

This is a very informal exchange--basically, you bring anything you feel you can part with and negotiate trades with others who attend. You can bring as much or as little as you'd like--sizes, ingredients, etc. are all at your discretion. What you end up with depends on the demand for what you brought :P

Exactly what boudreaulicious says. So keep canning things and whenever you know what you want to bring, just post here and we will update the thread or if it gets really, super cool maybe a google doc spreadsheet or some such thing, hmm maybe I should change my personal larder from a word doc to a spreadsheet.

I'm doing it this year so I can get a sense of what we eat, what we gift, when it runs out, etc.

Posted September 12th 2011, 9:22am
Pairs4life Thank you for sharing a jar of your sour cherry/vanilla "jam". It was AWESOME! Also, I loved every one of your jams that you brought to the picnic. That spicy tomato peach number hit it out of the ballpark for me. I'm inspired...got to go can now!
Posted September 12th 2011, 9:32am
Hi, I'd like to attend as a spectator and hope to become a contributor to your swaps next year. Thanks! Christina

Posted September 12th 2011, 9:37am
Please count me in! I've made batches of peach butter and plum butter in the last week, so I'll have a few jars of those, and probably will have made crabapple jelly by then as well.
Posted September 12th 2011, 9:52pm
razbry wrote:Pairs4life Thank you for sharing a jar of your sour cherry/vanilla "jam". It was AWESOME! Also, I loved every one of your jams that you brought to the picnic. That spicy tomato peach number hit it out of the ballpark for me. I'm inspired...got to go can now!

You are kind. But I will tell you, we weren't jam/preserve folks until this summer. My husband doesn't even like sweets, but he dips a spoon in the jar, allows the excess to run off and then swirls into a bowl of homemade yogurt.

I hope you will join us on 10-29. Really nice, visiting with you and your mum yesterday.

Pinging Jars!

Posted September 12th 2011, 10:55pm
You are kind. But I will tell you, we weren't jam/preserve folks until this summer. My husband doesn't even like sweets, but he dips a spoon in the jar, allows the excess to run off and then swirls into a bowl of homemade yogurt.

I'll go you one worse (or better)...I like to put the stuff into cottage cheese!
Posted September 13th 2011, 4:42pm
Katie wrote:I am still as intrigued by canning as I was before, but haven't actually done any (so, none to swap).

Do you still want to come for the fellowship? Perhaps seeing what others have done will inspire you. There's plenty of stuff to can throughout the year, but the end of the big push is now.

Posted September 13th 2011, 4:43pm
razbry wrote:

I'll go you one worse (or better)...I like to put the stuff into cottage cheese!

Shall I put you down as attending and exchanging?

Posted September 14th 2011, 9:50am
I'm in for the exchange. I can't wait to see what all of you have done.

For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
Posted September 14th 2011, 10:20am
Shall I put you down as attending and exchanging?

Pick a place, and I'll let you know if I think I can negotiate the traffic! I'm from the country you know, although the GPS does help!
Posted October 1st 2011, 3:21pm
28 Days to the Canning Swap-o-Rama. I'm excited.

I also canned boiled peanuts earlier this week. :mrgreen:
Last edited by pairs4life on October 14th 2011, 5:39am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted October 10th 2011, 5:57pm
Is anybody able to trade food at the Canning swap? I am so excited about this! I just moved to Chicago and was hoping I could find a food swap.

Kelsey
Posted October 10th 2011, 6:25pm
kelseyjnelson wrote:Is anybody able to trade food at the Canning swap? I am so excited about this! I just moved to Chicago and was hoping I could find a food swap.

Kelsey

Kelsey, if that means you are signing up for the Canning Swap-o-Rama. Absolutely and welcome to Chicago.

Posted October 14th 2011, 10:00am
I will be attending.
Peach Lavender Preserves

Cookie Monster
Posted October 14th 2011, 9:47pm
Cookie Monster wrote:I will be attending.
Peach Lavender Preserves

Great.

Posted October 21st 2011, 2:06pm
Just a reminder, we meet next Saturday. I can't tell you how excited I am. Just ask the cops I know.

And, come on in the water is fine. :mrgreen:

Posted October 23rd 2011, 11:41am
I just found out about this!~ looks great. Is it too late to join? And how long does the swap last? Does one need to bring samples of what we are trading or any other potluck food?

nancy
nancyinajam.wordpress.com
(Online)
Web
Posted October 23rd 2011, 11:53am
nancyinajam wrote:I just found out about this!~ looks great. Is it too late to join? And how long does the swap last? Does one need to bring samples of what we are trading or any other potluck food?

nancy
nancyinajam.wordpress.com

Welcome Nancy!

Not too late at all...the more the merrier. This is a true "swap"--bring as many jars as you'd like to trade--no minimum or maximum. Once we start, you can trade with anyone in any quantity. For example, if I want a jar Susie's spicy tomato salsa, I offer a jar of my mushroom ketchup and if that's of interest to Susie, we make a trade. Only requirement is that your offerings are preserved via a food safety acceptable method.

The lunch/swap lasts about 60-90 minutes depending on how long we take for lunch (The Brown Sack is a sandwich shop so we all order for ourselves--and, consequently, probably not a good idea to bring other food besides your canning efforts.) No one brought samples last time but I'm sure that would be fine if you wanted to. I hadn't even though of it to be honest.

Hope to see you there!!

Jen

Posted October 23rd 2011, 12:18pm
Awesome. Im in. I will bring stuff to trade.
Just to be clear, is it ok if its in a jar, but needs to be refrigerated (like a pickle or syrup, or a freezer jam) but NOT shelf stable
or does it have to be shelf stable (water bath or pressure canned)
I am just curious ;)

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting some new people and trying some new things!
(Online)
Web
Posted October 23rd 2011, 1:27pm
nancyinajam wrote:Awesome. Im in. I will bring stuff to trade.
Just to be clear, is it ok if its in a jar, but needs to be refrigerated (like a pickle or syrup, or a freezer jam) but NOT shelf stable
I am just curious ;)

I think the majority of the contributions are shelf stable but it's not required. Just make sure that you note it on the package somehow (and probably want to be sure that you have some means for keeping it cold if it needs to be for the few hours it will be out of the fridge/freezer).

Looking forward- to meeting you too!

Jen

Posted October 25th 2011, 7:47am
Wow! Right now we have a 11 folks exchanging.

If you want the link to the swap spreadsheet let me know, I know some of you want to be surprised.

Don't overlook bringing the workhorses like tomato paste and pickles.

This should be a really good time!

Lead Moderator
Posted October 25th 2011, 10:46am
boudreaulicious wrote:
nancyinajam wrote:Awesome. Im in. I will bring stuff to trade.
I am just curious ;)

I think the majority of the contributions are shelf stable but it's not required. Just make sure that you note it on the package somehow (and probably want to be sure that you have some means for keeping it cold if it needs to be for the few hours it will be out of the fridge/freezer).

Looking forward- to meeting you too!

Jen

Hi,

If it is something that was never processed and needs to be refrigerated, no problem.

Speaking for myself, if a 'shelf stable' product was open kettle and not waterbath or pressure processed, I am not interested.

I will bring sauerkraut. It might be packed in ziploc bags to refrigerate when you get home. It might be in a jar. It really depends on my time this week. I might bring filling for a Concord grape pie. This is a frozen item.

Regards,

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
Posted October 26th 2011, 8:52am
Cathy2 wrote:I will bring sauerkraut. It might be packed in ziploc bags to refrigerate when you get home. It might be in a jar.

If the sauerkraut is in jars, can it be taken home and processed? I've got very limited fridge & freezer space, maybe I should really ask for that freezer for a gift.

FYI! The olives have arrived so I'm looking forward to curing them. :twisted:

Home Cookin'

Online Information