Chanukwanzamas, LTH Holiday Party, 12/3, Avli Estiatorio

Chanukwanzamas, LTH Holiday Party, 12/3, Avli Estiatorio
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Chanukwanzamas, LTH Holiday Party, 12/3, Avli Estiatorio

Post #1 - October 28th, 2011, 3:54 pm
    Post #1 - October 28th, 2011, 3:54 pm Post #1 - October 28th, 2011, 3:54 pm
    Chanukwanzamas, LTH Holiday Party, 12/3 Avli Estiatorio

The first year of our holiday party, we went Bohemian (Klas), then we moved through Chinese (Ed’s Potsticker House), Jewish (Manny’s), BBQ and Mexican (Chuck’s), Chinese again (Sun Wah) and last year Swedish (Tre Kroner).

But we’ve never gone Greek.

Until now.

This year, we’re holding our event at Avli Estiatorio, December 3, 2011, starting at 6:30PM

Avli, a GNR winner, has been lovingly praised by many LTH notables:

“fantastic, eye-opening” ronnie_suburban

“doing some very innovative things with a familiar cuisine” stevez

“Clean fresh well executed flavors, interactive thoughtful friendly owner.” GWiv

“loukaniko…is first-rate” LAZ

"freshness and very high quality of the ingredients impressed the whole table" Gypsy Boy

“I really love this place” Jazzfood

Fried zucchini with skordalia.

Locanico, Greek sausage with orange rind and herbs.

Braised lamb shanks with giant Greek white beans.

Lentil salad.

Menu. Avli's Owner Louie Alexikas, a big fan of LTH, is working out the party menu, which will include dishes from their regular menu, many of which have been discussed here, as well as some festive/special off-menu items that will be prepared especially for our party.

Starters:
    Filo stuffed shrimp - cheese and herbs
    Greek cheese course - smoked Metsovo, Cretan Graviera, and Ipirus kefalotyri, Greek fig and olive puree

Salad:
    Winter Dakos: Seared tomatoes and baked goat cheese over Creatan barley rusks

Appetizers:
    Gigandes - giant Greek white beans in a tomato sauce
    Zucchini chips & Skordalia
    Grilled Octopus

Entrees:
    Sun-dried tomato and olive stuffed Leg of Lamb (Avli's holiday special)
    Cretan Honey'd beef (A new special that is very popular)
    Berkshire pork loin or chop w/feta and giant bean crumble
    Papoutsakia - stuffed eggplant
    Artichokes and peas

Desserts:
    Castana ke Meli - Roasted chestnuts with Greek honey

Tickets. Tickets are set at $61.80, and that includes dinner (alcohol is extra and will be individually billed; BYO wine and beer: $5 corkage for wine; no corkage for beer), tax, tip, and a buck or so toward the LTH picnic permit next year. As in years past, all ticket sales will go through Brown Paper Tickets (small transaction fee required). Just go to the site and enter your information. Ticket sales close at noon, December 2, 2011. Once you’re paid, we’ll get updates from Brown Paper Tickets and we’ll enter your name on the guest list. Seating is limited to 90.

Order tickets here: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/209203

Tickets are non-refundable though they are transferrable, so if you buy a ticket and your plans change, you can sell your ticket to another member of the LTH community. If you do sell your ticket, please let us know who you sold it to.

Gift Exchange. If you want, please bring a food-related raffle item. For the raffle/gift exchange, all gifts go into a pool and names are drawn. Please bring gifts that they'd be happy to receive. If you do bring a gift, you get a ticket and are guaranteed one gift in exchange. We’ve set the price for each gift around $15. Please don't wrap the gift -- we like to see what people are winning before they win it -- but please do put your name (real name or screen name or both) on the gift so that lucky winners know who to thank.

If, like me, you’ve never been to Avli, the Laundry Mall, or Winnetka, then this is the chance of a lifetime -- or at least a very suitable opportunity -- to check out all of those exotic locales when you come to Chanukwanzamas, LTHForum.Com Holiday Party 2011.

Avli Estiatorio
    566 Chestnut St
    Winnetka, IL 60093
    Phone (847) 446-9300

GUEST LIST

1. David Hammond
    2. Carolyn Berg
    3. stevez
    4. Chow Poodle
    5. ronnie_suburban
    6. julie_suburban
    7. tarte tatin
    8. Cathy2
    9. Chouxfly
    10. Mamagotcha
    11. Josephine
    12. Ray
    13. boudreaulicious
    14. GAF
    15. Guest of GAF
    16. JimInLoganSquare
    17. Mrs. JimInLoganSquare
    18. EvA
    19. Cabbagehead
    20. mbh friend
    21. mbh
    22. Leek
    23. Mr. Leek
    24. Jeremy S (please pm your screen name)
    25. soft boiled
    26. Amy with softboiled
    27. lazygal09
    28. irisarbor
    29. Mr. irisarbor (Frank)
    30. RAB
    31. REB
    32. laikom
    33. Terese laikom
    34. borborigmy
    35. Jill, borborigmy's guest
    36. Jill, borborigmy's guest
    37. Turkob
    38. Mrs. Turkob
    39. George, Turkob's guest
    40. Constantine, Turkob's guest
    41. Hellodali
    42. Hannah, Pairs4Life friend
    43. Bobby, Pairs4Life friend
    44. milz50
    45. Helen G,
    46. Gunnar, Helen G's husband
    47. Marianne, Helen G's daughter
    48. Laura, Cathy2's sister
    49. Brittany, Cathy2's niece
    50. Phil, Cathy2's guest
    51. gypsyboy
    52. JermAngela
    53. Chingation
    54. Lemoneater
    55. Tim - Mr. Lemoneater
    56. Jazzfood
    57. Jazzfood's Fiance
    58. Pairs4Life
    59. Ellen F, Cathy2's friend
    60. Mark5
    61. evelyn
    62. Giovanna
    63. edc
    64. Susan (edc)
    65. Cinnamon Girl
    66. Spiceman

There are 85 seats maximum.
    “Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”
  • Post #2 - October 28th, 2011, 4:51 pm
    Post #2 - October 28th, 2011, 4:51 pm Post #2 - October 28th, 2011, 4:51 pm
    Just purchased my ticket! So excited to get back to Avli with LTH!
    "Life is a combination of magic and pasta." -- Federico Fellini

"You're not going to like it in Chicago. The wind comes howling in from the lake. And there's practically no opera season at all--and the Lord only knows whether they've ever heard of lobster Newburg." --Charles Foster Kane, Citizen Kane.
  • Post #3 - October 29th, 2011, 7:18 am
    Post #3 - October 29th, 2011, 7:18 am Post #3 - October 29th, 2011, 7:18 am
    We'll be there. Love the Greek theme!
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #4 - October 29th, 2011, 3:54 pm
    Post #4 - October 29th, 2011, 3:54 pm Post #4 - October 29th, 2011, 3:54 pm
    Cabbagehead and I will be there. We always enjoy our meals at Avli. Thanks for making the arrangements!
  • Post #5 - November 1st, 2011, 12:15 pm
    Post #5 - November 1st, 2011, 12:15 pm Post #5 - November 1st, 2011, 12:15 pm
    Never been to this place, but we love Greek- so what could be bad?
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #6 - November 1st, 2011, 11:18 pm
    Post #6 - November 1st, 2011, 11:18 pm Post #6 - November 1st, 2011, 11:18 pm
    Just got 2 tickets, for myself and Teresa. Missed last year and kicked myself for it! Looking forward!
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #7 - November 3rd, 2011, 9:23 pm
    Post #7 - November 3rd, 2011, 9:23 pm Post #7 - November 3rd, 2011, 9:23 pm
    I can't miss this. Is Louie clearing a space for dancing?
  • Post #8 - November 5th, 2011, 6:50 am
    Post #8 - November 5th, 2011, 6:50 am Post #8 - November 5th, 2011, 6:50 am
    Can't wait to see the menu!
    "To get long" meant to make do, to make well of whatever we had; it was about having a long view, which was endurance, and a long heart, which was hope.
    - Fae Myenne Ng, Bone
  • Post #9 - November 14th, 2011, 1:54 pm
    Post #9 - November 14th, 2011, 1:54 pm Post #9 - November 14th, 2011, 1:54 pm
    Menu
    Avli's Owner Louie Alexikas, a big fan of LTH, has worked out the party menu:

Starters:
    Greek cheese course - smoked Metsovo, Cretan Graviera, and Ipirus kefalotyri, Greek fig and olive puree

Salad:

Appetizers:
    Grilled Octopus

Entrees:
    Artichokes and peas

Desserts:
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #10 - November 14th, 2011, 1:55 pm
    Post #10 - November 14th, 2011, 1:55 pm Post #10 - November 14th, 2011, 1:55 pm
    This menu looks great! I can hardly wait.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #11 - November 14th, 2011, 2:24 pm
    Post #11 - November 14th, 2011, 2:24 pm Post #11 - November 14th, 2011, 2:24 pm
    mmmmm Grilled Octopus.....
    (think Homer Simpson saying donuts....) :roll:
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #12 - November 14th, 2011, 6:35 pm
    Post #12 - November 14th, 2011, 6:35 pm Post #12 - November 14th, 2011, 6:35 pm
    Wow! Really terrific-looking menu! Can't wait.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #13 - November 14th, 2011, 9:14 pm
    Post #13 - November 14th, 2011, 9:14 pm Post #13 - November 14th, 2011, 9:14 pm
    Looks awesome. Unfortunately our Next tickets are for that night so we won't be able to make it. I hope everyone has fun though...and happy holidays to all!
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #14 - November 14th, 2011, 10:59 pm
    Post #14 - November 14th, 2011, 10:59 pm Post #14 - November 14th, 2011, 10:59 pm
    Damn. Previous party commitment that night. Hate missing it, especially at Avli. I'm sure a good time will be had by all, though.
  • Post #15 - November 17th, 2011, 10:29 am
    Post #15 - November 17th, 2011, 10:29 am Post #15 - November 17th, 2011, 10:29 am
    HI,

SteveZ advised there will be Great Neighborhood Restaurant/Resource posters for the raffle.

There are 28 seats left!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #16 - November 17th, 2011, 10:55 am
    Post #16 - November 17th, 2011, 10:55 am Post #16 - November 17th, 2011, 10:55 am
    Cathy2 wrote:SteveZ advised there will be Great Neighborhood Restaurant/Resource posters for the raffle.

Not for the raffle. They are door prizes. Everyone will get one. I've got some other stuff for the raffle.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #17 - November 18th, 2011, 8:09 pm
    Post #17 - November 18th, 2011, 8:09 pm Post #17 - November 18th, 2011, 8:09 pm
    Hi Everyone!

A few more things for the Annual Holiday Party:

I have gotten a few goodies myself from vendors to hand out! So expect an Avli goodie bag too :)
    Also, there will be 1 more dessert I just haven't finalized which on yet.

Hope to see you all soon,

Louie
  • Post #18 - November 21st, 2011, 1:09 am
    Post #18 - November 21st, 2011, 1:09 am Post #18 - November 21st, 2011, 1:09 am
    Just got another ticket for my sister, Evelyn. Her LTH handle is also evelyn.
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #19 - November 25th, 2011, 3:09 pm
    Post #19 - November 25th, 2011, 3:09 pm Post #19 - November 25th, 2011, 3:09 pm
    Baking gingerbread today...
    it took 3 tries to get the dome right....
    sigh.
    :lol:
    ~James Michener
  • Post #20 - November 25th, 2011, 4:41 pm
    Post #20 - November 25th, 2011, 4:41 pm Post #20 - November 25th, 2011, 4:41 pm
    irisarbor wrote:Baking gingerbread today...
    it took 3 tries to get the dome right....
    sigh.
    :lol:

That's so amazing.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #21 - November 28th, 2011, 8:28 pm
    Post #21 - November 28th, 2011, 8:28 pm Post #21 - November 28th, 2011, 8:28 pm
    Hi all,

In keeping with the spirit of the season and our established tradition of giving during the holidays (thanks, Vital Information, for starting this tradition), we're encouraging each guest to bring a few cans of food to the party on Saturday night, where it will be collected, and later delivered to the West Deerfield Township Food Pantry.

You generosity will be greatly appreciated by those in need, especially at this time of year.

Thanks,

=R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #22 - November 28th, 2011, 8:42 pm
    Post #22 - November 28th, 2011, 8:42 pm Post #22 - November 28th, 2011, 8:42 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Hi all,

In keeping with the spirit of the season and our established tradition of giving during the holidays (thanks, Vital Information, for starting this tradition), we're encouraging each guest to bring a few cans of food to the party on Saturday night, where it will be collected, and later delivered to the West Deerfield Township Food Pantry.

You generosity will be greatly appreciated by those in need, especially at this time of year.

Thanks,

=R=

Thanks, Ronnie, for keeping the tradition going.
  • Post #23 - November 29th, 2011, 11:03 am
    Post #23 - November 29th, 2011, 11:03 am Post #23 - November 29th, 2011, 11:03 am
    Does the food pantry have any specific requests? (we need THIS not THAT sort of thing)
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #24 - November 29th, 2011, 11:22 am
    Post #24 - November 29th, 2011, 11:22 am Post #24 - November 29th, 2011, 11:22 am
    I will suggest Rob's suggestions a few years ago apply just about anywhere:

Subject: LTH Forum Food Drive

Vital Information wrote:As it is time for the LTHForum Holiday Party, it is also time for the LTHForum food drive (and food drive debate :wink:). At the December 6 party at Chuck's, please bring an item that will be provided to the Oak Park Food Pantry. As you can imagine, demand for the food pantry has increased. On my last two volunteer shifts, I would say there has been at least a 50% increase in the amount of families asking for food donations. The very generous contributions from the Holiday Party in the past years has really helped the Food Pantry help the community*

Sure, you can donate any non-perishable food item you want with this big caveat: this is not a pantry cleaning expedition. No smoked oysters. Nothing from Trader Joe's that seemed cool at the time.

That said, I, me personally, VI, would highly suggest you bring what I call luxuries. Caviar for the food pantry you ask? Is it a holiday thing. Nope. I mean food pantry luxuries, and by that, I mean things people really want, and really need, but are not somehow included in the usual. These include:

- Coffee
    - Sugar
    - Cooking oils (this would be my number 1 suggestion)
    - Flour and any baking supplies
    - Mayo
    - Any and all paper products such as toilet paper, paper towels, napkins and tissues
    - Diapers

The LTHForum Community is a giving community. They've answered this food drive call repeatedly as well as answering other calls such as the Thanksgiving BBQs and the Katrina feed. It makes the Holiday Party that much more special.

Rob

*Although based in Oak Park, the food pantry serves individuals from many areas in Cook County.
    Cathy2

• Post #25 - November 29th, 2011, 1:01 pm
    Post #25 - November 29th, 2011, 1:01 pm Post #25 - November 29th, 2011, 1:01 pm
    leek wrote:Does the food pantry have any specific requests? (we need THIS not THAT sort of thing)

The folks at the food pantry tell me they are most in need of the following:

Protein, such as tuna, salmon, chicken, etc.
    Laundry Detergent, in smaller -- but not individual-sized -- containers
    Low-Sugar, Low-Salt Fruits and Vegetables
    Paper Goods, like toilet paper and paper towels (but not diapers)

I hope that helps folks figure out what they can bring.

Thanks again,

=R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #26 - November 30th, 2011, 11:47 am
    Post #26 - November 30th, 2011, 11:47 am Post #26 - November 30th, 2011, 11:47 am
    Menu
    Avli's Owner Louie Alexikas, a big fan of LTH, has worked out the party menu:

Starters:

Salad:

Appetizers:
    Grilled Octopus

Entrees:
    Artichokes and peas

Desserts:

GUEST LIST
    1. David Hammond
    2. Carolyn Berg
    3. stevez
    4. Chow Poodle
    5. ronnie_suburban
    6. julie_suburban
    7. tarte tatin
    8. Cathy2
    9. Chouxfly
    10. Mamagotcha
    11. Josephine
    12. Ray
    13. boudreaulicious
    14. GAF
    15. Guest of GAF
    16. JimInLoganSquare
    17. Mrs. JimInLoganSquare
    18. EvA
    19. Cabbagehead
    20. mbh friend
    21. mbh
    22. Leek
    23. Mr. Leek
    24. Jeremy S (please pm your screen name)
    25. soft boiled
    26. Amy with softboiled
    27. lazygal09
    28. irisarbor
    29. Mr. irisarbor (Frank)
    30. RAB
    31. REB
    32. laikom
    33. Terese laikom
    34. borborigmy
    35. Jill, borborigmy's guest
    36. Jill, borborigmy's guest
    37. Turkob
    38. Mrs. Turkob
    39. George, Turkob's guest
    40. Constantine, Turkob's guest
    41. Hellodali
    42. Hannah, Pairs4Life friend
    43. Bobby, Pairs4Life friend
    44. milz50
    45. Helen G,
    46. Gunnar, Helen G's husband
    47. Marianne, Helen G's daughter
    48. Laura, Cathy2's sister
    49. Brittany, Cathy2's niece
    50. Phil, Cathy2's guest
    51. gypsyboy
    52. JermAngela
    53. Chingation
    54. Lemoneater
    55. Tim - Mr. Lemoneater
    56. Jazzfood
    57. Jazzfood's Fiance
    58. Pairs4Life
    59. Ellen F, Cathy2's friend
    60. Mark5
    61. evelyn
    62. Giovanna
    63. edc
    64. Susan (edc)
    65. Cinnamon Girl
    66. Spiceman

There are 85 seats maximum.

When purchasing your ticket, please send me a PM with your screen name and name of your guest(s). I use this for making name tags later as well as checking people in.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #27 - December 1st, 2011, 9:28 am
    Post #27 - December 1st, 2011, 9:28 am Post #27 - December 1st, 2011, 9:28 am
    Hi,

Reservations are open until Friday at 6 pm.

Giovanna and Hellodali will reprise their roles as Carol Merrill and Vanna White for the gift raffle.

Please bring a gift you would like to receive with a value of $15. Items have ranged from homebaked and canned goods to food travel souvenirs. Affix your name, so the recipient will know whom to thank.

Looking forward to Saturday!

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #28 - December 2nd, 2011, 9:17 am
    Post #28 - December 2nd, 2011, 9:17 am Post #28 - December 2nd, 2011, 9:17 am
    To get your raffle imaginations going...

~James Michener
  • Post #29 - December 2nd, 2011, 9:52 am
    Post #29 - December 2nd, 2011, 9:52 am Post #29 - December 2nd, 2011, 9:52 am
    Another amazing creation!
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
  • Post #30 - December 2nd, 2011, 2:16 pm
    Post #30 - December 2nd, 2011, 2:16 pm Post #30 - December 2nd, 2011, 2:16 pm
    mbh wrote:Another amazing creation!

Wow! But what's going to top that besides a side of hand massaged Kobe-Beef? It is beautiful as usual.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more