Get a Taste of Burma

A while back, I booked March 7th to do the Soup & Bread night with some of the gals, including several LTH'ers. As luck would have it, schedules aren't cooperating and we have a few open slots. So I'm opening it up to anyone on the board who would like to join us and bring some soup for this great (and delicious) fundraising effort. You will need to be able to make and bring soup to serve a crowd--I've never measured the amount I've made but it's a big pot :D Can be any type but veg options are always appreciated. Bread is also welcome. We set up at 5:00. I have 5-7 slots available, first-come, first served.

See you there!!

Soup Servers:

Boudreaulicious: Kimchi Stew
mbh: White bean with ham
Pamela (jen's friend): Mushroom
Wendy: Veg--Corn Poblano
iris arbor: Lentil Barley
Cathy2: Bess Feigenbaum's Cabbage Soup
Essie: Pumpkin Black Bean

Petite Gourmande: Bread (?)
Last edited by boudreaulicious on March 7th 2012, 9:48am, edited 5 times in total.

"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
Sign me up for a vegetarian soup. IIRC, a couple gallons each? I may go with a corn & roasted poblano soup.
Sign me up- I'm thinking some of those wonderful Greek lentils from the xmas party...(veg)

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
~James Michener
Those both sound delish--glad you can join us!!

"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
Last call for Soup Night participants--need a final count by tomorrow. 3 more spots open!

Lead Moderator
HI,

Bess Feigenbaum’s Cabbage Soup via the NYT.

Regards,

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
Made my soup today, it is a hearty lentil - barley soup (vegan).
Very nice for time of year if I do say so myself.
Looking forward to seeing everyone Weds.

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
~James Michener
Sounds great!! For all participating, see you at 5 on Wed.

Hope some of you will come out and enjoy some soup for a good cause--we have a great slate to be served including a couple of vegan (Cabbage, Lentil-Barley), a couple of veg (Mushroom, Corn & Poblano) and a couple of meat (White bean with ham, Kimchi Stew). Even if you haven't signed up, you are welcome to bring some bread or sweets and, of course, just your appetite--money raised this week is going to Benton House in Bridgeport.

Lead Moderator
Hi,

Martha Bayne and Louisa Chu talk about Soup & Bread on 848 earlier today. The link is to a podcast.

Regards,

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
Hi-Just a reminder to all our LTH friends...
soup and bread event tonight is at the Hideout from 5:30 -7:30
donate what you want-

The Hideout
1354 W. Wabansia Ave
Chicago, IL, 60642

http://www.hideoutchicago.com/event/94639/

Tonights they proceeds go to Benton House which provides social services, including a food pantry to the community in Bridgeport

Hope to see you there.

~James Michener
And for anyone who still wants to participate, bread and sweets are always welcome!!! Hope to see some of you there :D

Thanks to everyone who participated last night--happy to see such a great crowd, particularly on such a warm evening. The soups were wonderful--as evidenced by the fact that every last drop was drained from the pots. If everyone could post or send me their recipes, properly attributed if not original, I will collect them and send to Martha B. for the website.

A few folks have asked so here is the Kimchi Stew recipe I compiled from 4-5 recipes I found on line:

I'm sure it is far from authentic and probably will curl the toes of anyone who grew up making/eating this at home but it did taste pretty darn good :D

Pork Kimchi Stew: serves about 6 (IMPORTANT CAVEAT: the original recipe I put together was for 2-3 gallons of soup--I've cut it down as best I could but i have not prepared this version so I make no promises...)

• 6 cups chopped sour kimchi or aged kimchi, including the juice if not too salty. The key is to buy the BEST sour kimchi you can find. The sour kimchi I bought at New Chicago Kimchi Co. yesterday was perfect. If the Kimchi is too “new”, I don't think you'll get the right flavor without doctoring it…
• 2 lbs pork belly sliced into ½ in. thick pieces
• 2 cups sliced Shitake mushrooms
• 10 cloves garlic (minced)
• 1/3 cup of tiny dried anchovies (I think you could substitute good fish sauce—I’d start with a Tbsp and go from there.)
• 3 T sesame oil
• 5 T vegetable oil (I actually used grapeseed oil since that's what I had handy)
• 2 qts chicken stock—may need more, depending on the amount of juice you use from the kimchi
• 4-6 tsp red chili powder—depending on level of spice desired—may leave out if you don’t want it spicy—can add more too!
• 2 cups green onions, chopped
• 4 tsp gojujang (optional—won’t need if the kimchi’s right)
• Juice of one lemon and/or 1/8 cup of ginger juice (won’t need if the kimchi’s right)
• 1 pkg med-firm tofu

1. Heat vegetable oil in a pot and saute the onions and garlic.
2. Once cooked through, add the pork and cook until fat is rendered.
3. Add mushrooms and continue cooking for a couple of minutes.
4. Add the kimchi and sauté for another 7 – 8 min.
5. Add stock, dried anchovies (or fish sauce), chili powder, sesame oil and remaining cup of onions. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30 min. Halfway through the simmer (15 min), taste the soup. If you think it could use some additional seasoning, add more red chili powder and/or gojujang. If not tangy enough, add lemon and/or ginger juice.

Serve with white rice.

Jen

Thanks for organizing! A fun event with wonderful people and great food.

Wendy

The corn and poblano soup came from Food Network and is credited to Susan Feniger/ Mary Sue Milliken.

Serves 6-8

2 quarts milk
2 tablespoons cumin seeds
2 bay leaves
Sprig of fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried

Bring the milk and spices/herb to a simmer - do not boil. Infuse for 20 minutes off heat. Strain.

2 Tbsp olive oil and 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 large onions, diced
2 teaspoons salt
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
8 cups fresh or defrosted frozen corn kernels
6 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced

In another (large) soup pan/dutch oven, saute the onions with salt until browned. Add garlic and cumin and cook for another 5 mins. Add corn and chilies. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the infused milk and cook another 15 minutes. Use immersion blender (or food processor on a portion of the soup) to thicken.

Garnish with chives and/or bacon.
LTH Forum Holiday Party

Online Information