Family Heirloom Recipes Competition, 2012
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, South Dakota, WisconsinPork Chile Tamales with Tomatillo Salsa Verde
, First Prize, Brenda Bustillos of Crocker, Missouri (image by Josephine Hyde)
Greater Midwest Foodways Alliance is dedicated to exploring, celebrating and preserving unique food traditions and their cultural contexts in the American Midwest. By hosting public events, developing archival resources and generating publications, the Alliance celebrates the distinctiveness of a region that is as varied in tastes and traditions as it is in its geography from the Great Lakes to the Great Plains. Exploring indigenous foods like Wisconsin cranberries and Minnesota walleye, celebrating iconic flavors like the wheat and corn from across the prairies, chronicling cuisines from Native American to early European immigrants to 21st-century newcomers, or highlighting fish boils in small towns and fine dining big cities, the Alliance promotes and chronicles the diversity of the region’s culinary character.
Our Family Heirloom Recipe competition seeks your best made from scratch heirloom recipe suitable for a family or community dinner. To encourage delving deep into your family’s culinary history, please submit family recipes prior to 1950. We look forward to learning about and tasting your treasured foods.
PRIZE money sponsored by The Spice House
and Feedstuffs FoodLink.com
1st place - $150., 2nd place - $100., 3rd place - $50
Pampered Chef is sponsoring additional prizes for our winners:
First place: Reversible Bamboo Carving Board (Value = $72)
Second place: Cool & Serve Square Tray, Outdoor Mini Spoons & Tongs Set (Value = $49)
Third place: Food Chopper (Value = $31)
Taste 50%, History 40%, Appearance 10%
• Enter your best made-from-scratch family heirloom recipe suitable for a family or community dinner. Recipe should be from before 1950.
• Entrants must be at least 18 years of age; one entry per person. Contestants who participated before may not resubmit previously entered recipes.
• Each entry must be replicable from the recipe submitted. If an ingredient requires a recipe (for example, Jerry’s famous sausage), please include it.
• Every ingredient must be listed with exact measurements (no rounded teaspoons, etc.) and the type of ingredient (example: self-rising flour) must be specified. No mixes may be used, such as a cake or bread mix. Follow general proper recipe procedure, listing all steps of preparation, pan sizes, temperature and baking time.
• Entries must be typed on 8-1/2 x 11 inch paper. On one page provide the recipe and contestant’s name, age at time of contest, address, phone number and email address. On a separate sheet(s) present the recipe’s history. You may include who passed the recipe down to you, ethnicity (if relevant), number of years the recipe has been in your family and any interesting information about its place in your family's traditions. Note the history accounts for 40% of the score so be sure to do justice to your recipe’s story. Please consult http://www.GreaterMidwestFoodways.com
under the ‘events’ tab for examples of recipes and their histories..
• By submitting your entry, you accept official rules and agree to be bound by the judges’ decisions, which will be final. You also agree that your recipe and history narrative will become the property of Greater Midwest Foodways Alliance, which reserves the right to edit, adapt, copyright, publish and use without compensation to you.
• By participating, contestants also understand and accept the right of Greater Midwest Foodways Alliance to use contestant names, photos, history narratives and recipes for publicity without compensation.
• Each winning entry will shown in a display case (18” x 18”). Your product should be displayed simply though attractively, with the use of props, such as a copy of the original recipe, photographs, placemat, napkins, glassware or flowers.
• Greater Midwest Foodways Alliance is not responsible for lost or illegible recipes, nor is the fair.
• Taxes on prizes are the responsibility of the winner.
• Recipes from the Greater Midwest Foodways Alliance website (GreaterMidwestFoodways.com) are not eligible for entry in this contest. Illinois State Fair
Competition: Saturday August 11, check in: 2:00 – 3:00 pm, judging commences at 3:00 pm, awards 5:15 pm
- Premium book
: , page 105-106
- Application form
, deadline is July 15th.
- Exhibitor card
, submitted with application:
Premiums sponsored in partnership with The Spice HouseIndiana State Fair
Competition: Friday, August 10, check in: 1 pm to 3 pm at the Culinary Arts Northeast Entrance. Open contest judging begins at 3:00 pm at the Ellison Bakery Culinary Kitchen.
- Premium book
: see page 178 of pdf “Department 114: Home and Family Arts”
- Application online
, deadline is July 1 (with late fees when entered July 2-17)
Premiums sponsored in partnership with Feedstuffs FoodLink.comIowa State Fair
Competition: Sunday, August 12, judging begins at 2:00 pm
- General rules
- Heirloom recipe competition
, page 54
Application form, deadline postmarked by July 1 (with late fees by July 8):
- Or print form
to mail in.
Premiums sponsored in partnership with Feedstuffs FoodLink.comKansas State Fair
Competition: Saturday, September 8, 2012, receiving from 11:00 am – Noon, Live judging begins 12:30 pm.Family Heirloom Competition
Apply online commencing June 1st
Premiums sponsored in partnership with Feedstuffs FoodLink.comMinnesota State Fair
Competition: Sunday, August 19, check-in 8:00 – 11:00 am. Bring food cold, they will be reheated before judging.Premium book
, pages 39-40Apply online
, deadline is August 7th by 4:30 pm Central time.
Premiums sponsored in partnership with Feedstuffs FoodLink.comMissouri State Fair
Competition: Saturday, August 11, Opening judging commencing at 2:00 pmPremium book
, pages 3-4.Application
, deadline is July 20 (late entry until noon on July 30th). This can be submitted by mail or as an e-mail attachment.
Premiums sponsored in partnership with Feedstuffs FoodLink.comOhio State Fair
Competition: Saturday, July 28, check-in 3:00 – 4:00 pm, Open judging commencing at 4:00 pm in the Premium book
: - see page 12 for information.Application form
, deadline is June 20th.
To print out form
for mail-in application.
Premiums sponsored in partnership with Feedstuffs FoodLink.comSouth Dakota: State Fair
Competition: Sunday September 2 at 11:30 am in Women’s Building AuditoriumPremium book
, pages 37-38
There is no fee to participate in this contest. While pre-registration is not necessary, it is encouraged as it helps with the preparation and coordination of the event. Pre-registration is open until Friday, August 24. After that, if you wish to participate and have not pre-registered, simply show up at the listed times.
Premiums sponsored in partnership with Feedstuffs FoodLink.comWisconsin State Fair
Competition, Sunday, August 5th, check in 7:30 am to 8:30 am, Judging will commence at 10:00 am.Premium book
, pages 18-19Online application
, deadline is June 12th at 7:00 pm Central time (late entry is June 26).
Premiums sponsored in partnership with The Spice House