Alternative Dining in CHicago

Hi all,
This will be a re-awakening of the Mardi Gras cajun-creole musicale and food exchange-feast/fest
(here is a link to previous versions: http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=365590#p365590
with a Roadfood crossover (I'm also inviting some Roadfood friends)
I will be making my semi-famous Jambalaya

You should make or bring something Cajun, Creole or something to drink or snack on
Just post what you want to bring so we can keep it balanced.
My house is not gigantic, so we should probably not let it get much beyond 30ish people.

My husband will likely round up some musician types for some music, so if you play,
bring your instrument along. (we already have a baby grand), and many guitars.
Recap: it will be Sun Feb 23, from 3-7 ish
We are in Deerfield, off Deerfield Rd between Edens and 294, and 0.5mi from the Deerfield Metra station.
I will PM address to attendees ahead of time.

Attendees: 36
musicians- Rick (fiddle), Carol (piano, accordian) + Les, Dave(harmonica) +Marjorie
Frank (guitar) maybe Jeff (bass)

Irisarbor & Clan - Jambalaya (shrimp, chicken, and sausage), drinks etc., mystery jiggler
Cathy2 - mac n cheese w andouille, king cake
Laura (cathy2 sister)
PieLady -shrimp/chicken/Andouille gumbo x 2
Ms. Ingie+3 -corn maque choux and pralines
Katie +1 -corn, crawfish/shrimp, and andouille chowder, asst beer inc Abita
toria +1 -creole pecan cream cheese pound cake
Buddy Roadhouse +1 - killer recipe greens, Bourbon Pecan Bread Pudding
abe Froeman + mr. Maki- Bananas Foster Cheesecake + ?maybe fried pickles
Carolina Bob -non-alcoholic beverage
cookiemonster -something fried and ?maybe gumbo?
Laura S (+1.5)
Jeanne C + Alan
justjoan -pimento cheese sammies, sweet tea, something dessert-tish
DavidHammond +2 -home made samoas
Pairsforlife +1 - veg beans & rice, cornbread
Shay & Kay
Last edited by irisarbor on February 21st 2014, 3:28pm, edited 22 times in total.

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
~James Michener

Lead Moderator
Hi,

I plan to attend. I will think about what to bring.

Thanks for doing this!

Regards,

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
Please put me down! I'll bring a shrimp/chicken/Andouille gumbo.

I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen. ~ Chef Bruce

Late-Nite Eats Database
I am so glad you are willing to open your home to this event again, irisarbor! Please count me in for two (my sister and me).

I'd like to bring something a bit non-traditional. I have bunch of pages bookmarked in my copy of Emeril's "New New Orleans Cooking" and will pick something from there. For now, let's say corn, crawfish/shrimp, and andouille chowder.

"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
Please put me down for two. I would like to attend.

Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
W. Shakespeare
I'm in for two. Not sure if I should bring the usual smothered okra and sweet potato pie, or try something new. I'll peruse my Cajun cookbooks and get back to you.

Ms. Ingie
Life is too short, why skip dessert?
Sounding great so far- I am consolidating attendees here so if you don't recognize the names they are Roadfood friends http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=765993&mpage=1#766298, musicians, or personal friends

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
~James Michener
So excited for this! I will be there with the husband and baby. Not sure what we will make yet.

Lead Moderator
LauraS wrote:So excited for this! I will be there with the husband and baby. Not sure what we will make yet.

Terrific! The other Laura, my sister, wishes to attend, too.

Regards,

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
I'm changing it up this year. I'm bringing Corn Maque Choux and I'm going to try my hand at Pralines.

Ms. Ingie
Can I bring my mom? It will be nice to take her somewhere fun. I'll add a third dish; do I hear Sweet Potato Pie?

Ms. Ingie
Np Ingrid , the more the merrier!
Instead of a third dish , would you want to bring something to drink?
Either alcoholic or non - whatever you prefer...

~James Michener
That works. I'll see if I can come up with something interesting. There are a couple of drink/punch recipes that reappear in the Cajun/Creole/Louisiana cookbooks of mine.

Ms. Ingie
That sounds great, but if life is too busy,
Beer or pop / sweet tea is fine too :x

~James Michener
Life should be easier by then. It's just a matter of time now. :(

Ms. Ingie

Lead Moderator
Hi,

Would mac and cheese fit in this array of food? From a Culinary Historians meeting, there was a recipe using several kinds of cheese and andouille. What do you think?

Regards,

Cathy2

Absolutely, especially if you're talking about Kevin's recipe.

Ms. Ingie

Lead Moderator
Ms. Ingie wrote:Absolutely, especially if you're talking about Kevin's recipe.

I am. Kevin Gillespie's mac and cheese ... the most expensive mac and cheese I ever made.

Regards,

Cathy2

Is this event suitable for kids? If so, I might be able to come (with Mrs. Vinny and Vinny Jr.) and bring Red Beans and Rice (might make two versions - one with sausage and one veg-friendly). And I have a tuba, so I can pump out the bass line to Second Line, Mardi Gras Mambo, or any number of awful parade standards.
Last edited by Vinny on January 26th 2014, 3:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think Mac n cheese would make a big hit

~James Michener
hi , i'd love to attend. just finished watching the last season of 'treme' all in 1 week, and i'm definitely in the mood for new orleans food and music (i listen, i don't play). tentatively put me down for one of my favorite dishes of all time- pimento cheese , but i'll think about whether i want to make something i've never made before…..and will repost if necessary. i'll also bring (semi) sweet tea. thanks
Hi Vinny-
kids are fine- just be aware that our house is NOT at ALL childproof for a toddler.
We also have a little cat you will never see because she is shy, but if anyone is allergic....
Brass is class at our house!
Hubby and son #2 play Trombone, Son #1 plays Baritone/euprhonium
and Hubby's Dad was in the NY Phil for >20 yrs on Bass Trombone!
Whatever you make is great!

Joan - we are so mourning the end of Treme! what a great series! whatever strikes your fancy is great!

~James Michener
irisarbor wrote:Hi Vinny-
kids are fine- just be aware that our house is NOT at ALL childproof for a toddler.
We also have a little cat you will never see because she is shy, but if anyone is allergic....
Brass is class at our house!
Hubby and son #2 play Trombone, Son #1 plays Baritone/euprhonium
and Hubby's Dad was in the NY Phil for >20 yrs on Bass Trombone!
Whatever you make is great!

Joan - we are so mourning the end of Treme! what a great series! whatever strikes your fancy is great!

Sweet, we're in. BTW, Vinny Jr is almost seven, so I would be more worried about him trying to start a football game in the house or so something.
Me again. Can I bring the 17 year old daughter? Surprised that she expressed interest, so I thought I'd seize the opportunity.

Ms. Ingie

Lead Moderator
Web
In for two.

I don't see any desserts on the list (justjoan, what's up?), so I'd like to bring Abraham Lincoln's favorite almond cake. We celebrate his birthday all month, so seems appropriate.

“We all have to stand before the kitchen gods.” Chef Jacob Sahaya Kumar Aruni
I'm in for 2. I'm thinking vegetarian beans and rice, maybe cornbread.

Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
In addition to the corn/shrimp/andouille chowder, my +1 and I will plan to bring a sampler mix of bottled beers, including some Abitas.

mmm Abita beer- I love that Purple Haze LOL :wink:

~James Michener
Should I make a note to leave out the Purple Haze? I was thinking more Turbodog.

Bring what floats your boat, but Purple Haze really is my favorite Abita...

~James Michener
Home Cookin'

Online Information