LTH Home

LTHforum's 12th Annual Picnic, September 24, 2017 - Sign up!

LTHforum's 12th Annual Picnic, September 24, 2017 - Sign up!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 5
  • Post #91 - September 23rd, 2017, 12:21 pm
    Post #91 - September 23rd, 2017, 12:21 pm Post #91 - September 23rd, 2017, 12:21 pm
    Lordbarnyard here. Kalamazoo Gal and I will be coming to the picnic tomorrow, bringing myriad goodies, including, it turns out, a cousin who just moved here from London. Abbie, like us, loves food and company, so she should be a good addition. We look forward to seeing you all tomorrow.

Lordbarnyard
    Coops

Eating big in the West.
  • Post #92 - September 23rd, 2017, 12:28 pm
    Post #92 - September 23rd, 2017, 12:28 pm Post #92 - September 23rd, 2017, 12:28 pm
    I thought we had RSVP'd but perhaps not? Anyway, both Chouxfly and myself (Mamagotcha), along with our son Lincoln, will be there.

Chouxfly will make something featuring his home-smoked bacon (and possibly a baked good, though at the moment I think firing up our oven would cause our A/C to overload), and I'm making a pesto pasta salad featuring the basil and zucchini we grew ourselves.

I will bring some ice packs to try to keep my salad cool. This weather is insane!
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #93 - September 23rd, 2017, 12:31 pm
    Post #93 - September 23rd, 2017, 12:31 pm Post #93 - September 23rd, 2017, 12:31 pm
    I will be attending solo. I'm friends with the Sook people and will be assisting them. I will be bringing Tahini Swirl Brownies (Milk Street recipe).
  • Post #94 - September 23rd, 2017, 12:35 pm
    Post #94 - September 23rd, 2017, 12:35 pm Post #94 - September 23rd, 2017, 12:35 pm
    We can also bring a cooler full of ice and water (unless you think this would be overkill?).
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #95 - September 23rd, 2017, 1:52 pm
    Post #95 - September 23rd, 2017, 1:52 pm Post #95 - September 23rd, 2017, 1:52 pm
    Well, there goes that streak.

My end of summer cold is in the sneezy/drippy stage, so I don't want to be out and you don't want to be around me.

Everybody have fun.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #96 - September 23rd, 2017, 2:04 pm
    Post #96 - September 23rd, 2017, 2:04 pm Post #96 - September 23rd, 2017, 2:04 pm
    mamagotcha wrote:We can also bring a cooler full of ice and water (unless you think this would be overkill?).

Having spent the past 6 hours outside at my stepson's XC meet, I am 100% sure that it will NOT be overkill. I'm seriously considering going to Target to see if there are any kiddy pools on seasonal closeout!!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #97 - September 23rd, 2017, 2:33 pm
    Post #97 - September 23rd, 2017, 2:33 pm Post #97 - September 23rd, 2017, 2:33 pm
    Cathy there is an off chance my son will come along. Probably a fifty fifty chance. I'll bring something for his contribution probably paper goods.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #98 - September 23rd, 2017, 4:55 pm
    Post #98 - September 23rd, 2017, 4:55 pm Post #98 - September 23rd, 2017, 4:55 pm
    Gary P & Ellyn P will be attending. We will be bringing Pineapple Raisin Cookies and Banana Cake.
  • Post #99 - September 23rd, 2017, 5:30 pm
    Post #99 - September 23rd, 2017, 5:30 pm Post #99 - September 23rd, 2017, 5:30 pm
    Cathy,

While hearty, my dish would be considered a side.

As always, Thanks for your work!

Also I will be cooking onsite in my Smokey Joe (small grill) and it will be available after I am done (around 1).
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #100 - September 23rd, 2017, 6:00 pm
    Post #100 - September 23rd, 2017, 6:00 pm Post #100 - September 23rd, 2017, 6:00 pm
    We're bringing 24 la croix, 100 napkins, and a bag of ice.
  • Post #101 - September 23rd, 2017, 6:26 pm
    Post #101 - September 23rd, 2017, 6:26 pm Post #101 - September 23rd, 2017, 6:26 pm
    Hi Cathy- Two of my friends have previous commitments, and one of my friends I have been unable to get a hold of. Unless I can get a hold of Irene tomorrow morning, it looks like I will be attending by my self. I will bring some tabouli salad, and I will also bring some sparking water I just bought at Jewel today, and a 2 liter of diet 7-Up that I bought before the tax went into effect. I am on my way to see Garrison Keillor in Skokie. I better get going. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #102 - September 23rd, 2017, 6:33 pm
    Post #102 - September 23rd, 2017, 6:33 pm Post #102 - September 23rd, 2017, 6:33 pm
    wild rice wrote:I will be attending solo. I'm friends with the Sook people and will be assisting them. I will be bringing Tahini Swirl Brownies (Milk Street recipe).

I don't even like chocolate or tahini much but those brownies are everything!
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #103 - September 23rd, 2017, 8:56 pm
    Post #103 - September 23rd, 2017, 8:56 pm Post #103 - September 23rd, 2017, 8:56 pm
    Hi,

What time are the Souk people arriving?

If it is before 10, could I e-mail a copy of the permit to show the police, if they show up? If that works, then I will arrive at 10 AM.

If not, then I will get there earlier. Just need to know.

I have wasp traps in the car, if they are needed.

Just finished organizing nametags. I will print them in the morning. There will be blanks for mistakes, omissions or walk-ins.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #104 - September 24th, 2017, 7:27 am
    Post #104 - September 24th, 2017, 7:27 am Post #104 - September 24th, 2017, 7:27 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

What time are the Souk people arriving?

If it is before 10, could I e-mail a copy of the permit to show the police, if they show up? If that works, then I will arrive at 10 AM.

If not, then I will get there earlier. Just need to know.

I have wasp traps in the car, if they are needed.

Just finished organizing nametags. I will print them in the morning. There will be blanks for mistakes, omissions or walk-ins.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy

I think the plan is to be there at 10am Cathy.
  • Post #105 - September 24th, 2017, 7:33 am
    Post #105 - September 24th, 2017, 7:33 am Post #105 - September 24th, 2017, 7:33 am
    We may just arrive at the same time. I will try to get there earlier.

Thanks!

Pinata breaking is at 2:00 PM
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #106 - September 24th, 2017, 8:10 am
    Post #106 - September 24th, 2017, 8:10 am Post #106 - September 24th, 2017, 8:10 am
    well, i'm sick and can't make the picnic so you guys will be punch-less for the first time in many years. my apologies and i hope there's plenty of water available....and i have a big box of 300+ cookies i made before i got sick. if there's anyone near or passing through logan square who could pick them up and take them to the picnic i'd be most grateful. please PM me and i'll check later..i'm not going anywhere so anytime would work for pickup. thanks!

EDITED: leek has kindly offered to pick up the cookies. so please eat them when they arrive, everybody!
    Last edited by justjoan on September 24th, 2017, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #107 - September 24th, 2017, 9:04 am
    Post #107 - September 24th, 2017, 9:04 am Post #107 - September 24th, 2017, 9:04 am
    Bringing Chocolate Cherry Dump cake and Ginger Beer (soda) - will also bring some utensils, etc. to supplement.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #108 - September 24th, 2017, 11:09 am
    Post #108 - September 24th, 2017, 11:09 am Post #108 - September 24th, 2017, 11:09 am
    We've got a bit of a good news/bad news situation.

The good news is that Chouxfly made his amazing garlic focaccia, that my creamy pesto pasta salad turned out great, and that our community garden won a Chicago Excellence in Gardening Award.

The bad news is that, even after we applied advanced calculus, some water wings, and a shoehorn to the problem, there was no way for me to be at both the picnic and the CEGA award ceremony at the same time.

So I am very sadly having to send the boys to gather intel and morsels for me to enjoy later. I miss you all, and I know it's going to be an amazing event! Take lots of pictures, share lots of recipes, and be excellent to one another! <3

• Post #109 - September 24th, 2017, 3:27 pm
    Post #109 - September 24th, 2017, 3:27 pm Post #109 - September 24th, 2017, 3:27 pm
    justjoan wrote:well, i'm sick and can't make the picnic so you guys will be punch-less for the first time in many years. my apologies and i hope there's plenty of water available....and i have a big box of 300+ cookies i made before i got sick. if there's anyone near or passing through logan square who could pick them up and take them to the picnic i'd be most grateful. please PM me and i'll check later..i'm not going anywhere so anytime would work for pickup. thanks!

EDITED: leek has kindly offered to pick up the cookies. so please eat them when they arrive, everybody!

Are these the isfahan cookies? BR and I are going to town on them! Perfect.

Feel better!
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

• Post #110 - September 24th, 2017, 5:45 pm
    Post #110 - September 24th, 2017, 5:45 pm Post #110 - September 24th, 2017, 5:45 pm
    pairs4life wrote:
    justjoan wrote:well, i'm sick and can't make the picnic so you guys will be punch-less for the first time in many years. my apologies and i hope there's plenty of water available....and i have a big box of 300+ cookies i made before i got sick. if there's anyone near or passing through logan square who could pick them up and take them to the picnic i'd be most grateful. please PM me and i'll check later..i'm not going anywhere so anytime would work for pickup. thanks!

Feel better!
    thanks. yes, these are isfahan sables from pierre herme in paris. i've become addicted, though normally i dont care for floral notes in food....but the subtle hint of rose extract plus raspberries is intoxicating.
  • Post #111 - September 24th, 2017, 6:28 pm
    Post #111 - September 24th, 2017, 6:28 pm Post #111 - September 24th, 2017, 6:28 pm
    Hi,

Whoever brought the tamarind paste roll, there was a cutting tool you may want back. Please advise.

Where did the roll come from, it was very good! It is something my Mom might groove to.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #112 - September 24th, 2017, 9:14 pm
    Post #112 - September 24th, 2017, 9:14 pm Post #112 - September 24th, 2017, 9:14 pm
    justjoan wrote:
    pairs4life wrote:

Feel better!
    thanks. yes, these are isfahan sables from pierre herme in paris. i've become addicted, though normally i dont care for floral notes in food....but the subtle hint of rose extract plus raspberries is intoxicating.

Is that the NY times recipe? Where did you find the extract? If it isn't let me know if you wish to share recipe. The texture was perfection! And I hope you are feeling better.
    Last edited by pairs4life on September 25th, 2017, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Post #113 - September 25th, 2017, 7:09 am
    Post #113 - September 25th, 2017, 7:09 am Post #113 - September 25th, 2017, 7:09 am
    There was a ravinia table in an off white canvas bag left, if it's yours pm me and I'll figure out how to get it to you.

Also amazing job everyone, the heat was brutal, but every kept going. I kept saying I'm done eating, then some other amazing item would appear and of course I had to taste it.
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
  • Post #114 - September 25th, 2017, 7:23 am
    Post #114 - September 25th, 2017, 7:23 am Post #114 - September 25th, 2017, 7:23 am
    What a wonderful time. Cathy, your streak of arranging warm, rain-free picnics continues... but maybe lay off the warm a bit.

I know I actually ate less than I usually would because of the heat -- it made the sweets, in particular, seem much less appetizing, and I was filling up on water and tea and lemonade with every bite.

From 3 (4?) different eggplant dishes in the souk, to wonderful little bites of polish sausage, two different noodle puddings, lots of pickled things... a great time.

From the moment I joined LTH, I said, "this is my family, my community" -- I'm really glad these get togethers have continued to build our community.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #115 - September 25th, 2017, 7:38 am
    Post #115 - September 25th, 2017, 7:38 am Post #115 - September 25th, 2017, 7:38 am
    The fruit rolls were Josephine's, and thanks for your work on this once again.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #116 - September 25th, 2017, 8:11 am
    Post #116 - September 25th, 2017, 8:11 am Post #116 - September 25th, 2017, 8:11 am

Feel better![/quote]thanks. yes, these are isfahan sables from pierre herme in paris. i've become addicted, though normally i dont care for floral notes in food....but the subtle hint of rose extract plus raspberries is intoxicating.[/quote]

Is that the NY times recipe? Where did you find rhe extract? If it isn't let me know if you wish to share recipe. The texture was perfection! And I hope you are feeling better.[/quote] yes it's the NY times recipe. the only thing i changed was to leave out the red food coloring and use a tiny bit more raspberry. i ordered the star kay white rose extract on amazon- this is the one called for in the recipe. and freeze dried raspberries came from trader joe's. they are a little cheaper than from whole foods. a package contains 34 grams; the recipe calls for 10grams. i use 11 grams/recipe or in this case when i made 3recipes in the mixer at once, i used the whole packet of 34 grams.
  • Post #117 - September 25th, 2017, 8:12 am
    Post #117 - September 25th, 2017, 8:12 am Post #117 - September 25th, 2017, 8:12 am
    justjoan wrote:Are these the isfahan cookies? BR and I are going to town on them! Perfect.

Is that the NY times recipe? Where did you find rhe extract? If it isn't let me know if you wish to share recipe. The texture was perfection! And I hope you are feeling better.

yes it's the NY times recipe. the only thing i changed was to leave out the red food coloring and use a tiny bit more raspberry. i ordered the star kay white rose extract on amazon- this is the one called for in the recipe. and freeze dried raspberries came from trader joe's. they are a little cheaper than from whole foods. a package contains 34 grams; the recipe calls for 10grams. i use 11 grams/recipe or in this case when i made 3recipes in the mixer at once, i used the whole packet of 34 grams.
  • Post #118 - September 25th, 2017, 8:25 am
    Post #118 - September 25th, 2017, 8:25 am Post #118 - September 25th, 2017, 8:25 am
    Everyone's hard work was so appreciated, especially those who came early and stayed late in THAT HEAT!!
    everything I tried was great
    I also loved the rose/raspberry cookies- the bright /tart flavor was great
    the smoked shrimp were completely my jam
    and the liverwurst in the tub YUM YUM
    the fresh baked PITA a treat
    loved Ava's lemonade- so different
    I would have stayed longer, but the heat got me and got the Mr.

The Ravinia table was mine, but I don't need it back,
    we have a new one, keep it or pass it on to someone who wants it.
    it's a bit wonky- someone who's good with things could easily make it better-
    I'm almost positive all the parts are there.
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #119 - September 25th, 2017, 9:16 am
    Post #119 - September 25th, 2017, 9:16 am Post #119 - September 25th, 2017, 9:16 am
    Completely lost track of time in most aspects of life. Can't wait to live vicariously through the pictures!
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #120 - September 25th, 2017, 9:38 am
    Post #120 - September 25th, 2017, 9:38 am Post #120 - September 25th, 2017, 9:38 am
    A splendid day with good people and amazing food. Hard to remember everything, because everything was so good.

Thanks to the "souk," rose was in surprising abundance, including rose-flavored Turkish delight (best I've ever had, even in Turkey), rose and raspberry sablés (truly incredible), and candied rose petals. But the souk also offered (among many other delights) lamb-filled pita, spiced chicken, and a truly sensational smoked eggplant dip (the trip to the picnic would have been worth it if that had been the only thing served!). Among the other remarkable dishes were pickled mushrooms, a glorious country paté, homemade egg rolls, noodle kugel, spicy noodles, homemade Polish sausage, cranberry curd tarts, lemon bars -- and at least two dozen other things that aren't coming to mind right now.

So thank you once again, Cathy2, for all your work in setting this up. It was hot, but it was still wonderful.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more