LTH Home

Soup & Bread 2018

Soup & Bread 2018
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - February 22nd, 2018, 1:56 pm
    Post #61 - February 22nd, 2018, 1:56 pm Post #61 - February 22nd, 2018, 1:56 pm
    Butternut Squash Soup (Coconut Curry)
    Serves 8-10 generously
    Ingredients
    • 1 med-lrg butternut squash, halved and seeded (about 2+ pounds)
    • 2 Tbsp olive oil
    • 1 tablespoon salt
    • Generous amount freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 cup diced carrots
    • 1/2 cup diced celery
    • 1 small onion, diced
    • 1-2 large granny smith apple(s) peeled and diced
    • 4 cloves garlic, minced
    • 2 teaspoons curry powder
    • ½ teaspoon red curry paste or to taste
    • ½ teaspoon sriracha or to taste
    • 1 teaspoon minced or ginger paste or to taste
    • 4 cups unsalted vegetable broth
    • 1-2 cans unsweetened coconut milk (full fat)
    Directions
    1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and place a rack in the middle of the oven.
    2. Place the butternut squash halves cut-side up on a baking sheet lined with foil. Rub some oil on the squash. Sprinkle the squash with the salt if using and the black pepper. Roast the squash until fork tender, 50 to 55 minutes.
    3. Cool the squash for 10 minutes. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh (about 2 cups) and set aside.
    4. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, apple, curry powder, garlic, and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are translucent and the carrots are fork tender, about 5 minutes.
    5. Add the squash, broth, coconut milk, and the rest of the spices to the saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer about 15-20 minutes until everything is extremely tender.
    6. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth and silky. You may need to add a little water to get the consistency you desire.
    7. Serve warm and garnish with any or all of these options:
    • Chopped nuts (vegan)
    • Chopped herbs (vegan)
    • Sour cream (vegetarian, but not vegan)
    • Shredded cheese (vegetarian, but not vegan)
    • Crispy bacon (all bets are off)
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #62 - February 22nd, 2018, 2:38 pm
    Post #62 - February 22nd, 2018, 2:38 pm Post #62 - February 22nd, 2018, 2:38 pm
    I mostly followed the Serious Eats recipe, using my own home-made stock. I threw a lemon and some sherry wine in near the end of the cooking.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017 ... -soup.html
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #63 - February 23rd, 2018, 9:59 am
    Post #63 - February 23rd, 2018, 9:59 am Post #63 - February 23rd, 2018, 9:59 am
    Hi,

It sounds like everything went very well.

Was there soup leftover?

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #64 - February 23rd, 2018, 10:13 am
    Post #64 - February 23rd, 2018, 10:13 am Post #64 - February 23rd, 2018, 10:13 am
    Cathy2 wrote:It sounds like everything went very well.
    Was there soup leftover?

There was - the crowd seemed smaller this year, or maybe we each made more soup than usual. At the end, there were takeout containers provided by the house, so if anyone wanted to take some home they could. After that most people took their own leftovers home.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #65 - February 23rd, 2018, 10:42 am
    Post #65 - February 23rd, 2018, 10:42 am Post #65 - February 23rd, 2018, 10:42 am
    leek wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:It sounds like everything went very well.
    Was there soup leftover?

There was - the crowd seemed smaller this year, or maybe we each made more soup than usual. At the end, there were takeout containers provided by the house, so if anyone wanted to take some home they could. After that most people took their own leftovers home.

It seemed smaller to me as well, but it made the experience more pleasant since it was not uncomfortably packed.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #66 - February 23rd, 2018, 2:26 pm
    Post #66 - February 23rd, 2018, 2:26 pm Post #66 - February 23rd, 2018, 2:26 pm
    did anyone notice whether the sweets were all gone? i'm happy to make lots of cookies as long as they're getting gobbled up.... thanks
  • Post #67 - February 24th, 2018, 1:07 pm
    Post #67 - February 24th, 2018, 1:07 pm Post #67 - February 24th, 2018, 1:07 pm
    Thanks to all the chefs, as it was another spectacular outing. Next time I may help (both a promise and a threat). I managed to taste everything, and should have brought some containers for the extra, even though I couldn't stay until the end. Bravo all!
  • Post #68 - February 24th, 2018, 4:38 pm
    Post #68 - February 24th, 2018, 4:38 pm Post #68 - February 24th, 2018, 4:38 pm
    Joan -your cookies were a huge hit-
    I was there at the very end and there were maybe a handful of the oatmeal-apricot bars left, but I don't think they lasted long.
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #69 - February 26th, 2018, 8:46 pm
    Post #69 - February 26th, 2018, 8:46 pm Post #69 - February 26th, 2018, 8:46 pm
    Would you mind sharing recipes for the Meat Lover’s Pizza soup, and the French-style Pork Stew?

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more