LTH Home

Soup & Bread 2018

Soup & Bread 2018
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 3
  • Soup & Bread 2018

Post #1 - December 4th, 2017, 10:44 am
    Post #1 - December 4th, 2017, 10:44 am Post #1 - December 4th, 2017, 10:44 am
    It's that time of year: LTH is participating in Soup & Bread 2018 at the Hideout (1354 West Wabansia Chicago IL 60642)--our night is Wednesday, February 21st from 5:30-8:00.

We think everyone’s going to need a bowl of soup this winter – or several, not to mention the chance to pay it forward to those in need of food relief. Our theme this year is the same as last year--sanctuary soup--so soups reflecting your own or honoring any of Chicago's immigrant communities.

So Soup & Bread 2018 is on. Come, bring your kids, bring your appetites, and bring your dollars. As ever all your pay-what-you-can-donations will go to help local food pantries.

We need a total of 8 soups and we would like one vegetarian and one vegan in the mix (there can be more but from past years' experience, it isn't really necessary--the meat based soups are usually the first to go!) Veg with optional meat add-ons are always welcome too. Based on prior years, we recommend bringing 3-4 gallons of soup. Yes that sounds like a lot. Yes, it always gets eaten!

The hosts provide us with slow-cookers and serving utensils. You should plan to bring your soup already warm since heating a cold soup in the slow cookers can be very challenging. Also, our serving space is pretty tight so keep that in mind when planning your soup--there usually isn't a lot of room for multiple topping bowls, etc. Please arrive by 5:00 p.m. to ensure that you're set up and ready to ladle at 5:30 when they open the doors.

If you don't snag a soup spot or want to contribute something else, we encourage unlimited bread and dessert volunteers. If you're interested, please sign up now and you can let us know what soup you'll be bringing later. Bread and dessert volunteers should reply here as well.

And, of course, we need LOTS of LTHers, along with your friends and families, to come out and support our efforts! There is no set cover. It's a pay-what-you-can donation for the food. Each week S&B partners with a different neighborhood food pantry or hunger-relief organization, and passes along your donations to them. Over the last 7+ years they’ve raised more than $60,000. So please mark your calendars and come EAT!!!

The location is 1354 W. Wabansia, just east of Elston Avenue and two blocks north of North Avenue. There is ample free parking. Kids are welcome, as long as they are supervised by a parent or guardian.

Participants:

Soup

1. Boudreaulicious--French-style Pork Stew
    2. Kalamazoogal & COOP—Southwest White Bean & Sweet Potato (Vegan)
    3. iris arbor--Butternut Squash soup (Vegan & GF)
    4. Food Nut-Cheesy Sausage Chowder
    5. laikom—Meat Lover’s Pizza soup
    6. BR—Thai Wedding Soup
    7. leek—chicken soup
    8. Boudreaulicious bonus soup—Gringo Taco soup (GF)

Desserts/Bread/Other
    1. ronnie_suburban
    2. justjoan--almond praline cookies; chocolate chile cookies; and apricot oatmeal squares
    3. Food nut--peanut lover bars
    4. BR--raspberry shortbread bars
    5. stevez --Dozen Dinkels Donuts
    Last edited by boudreaulicious on February 21st, 2018, 3:22 pm, edited 19 times in total.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #2 - December 4th, 2017, 10:47 am
    Post #2 - December 4th, 2017, 10:47 am Post #2 - December 4th, 2017, 10:47 am
    HI,

I will contribute Hungarian Mushroom Soup, which is vegetarian but not vegan. Since it finishes with sour cream, it will never be vegan.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #3 - December 4th, 2017, 10:47 am
    Post #3 - December 4th, 2017, 10:47 am Post #3 - December 4th, 2017, 10:47 am
    Thanks, Jen. Please put me down for some desserts!

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #4 - December 4th, 2017, 5:24 pm
    Post #4 - December 4th, 2017, 5:24 pm Post #4 - December 4th, 2017, 5:24 pm
    I’m going to say put me down for soup
    I recently made a butternut squash that was great and vegan (to my own surprise)
    So let’s say that for now
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #5 - December 4th, 2017, 6:01 pm
    Post #5 - December 4th, 2017, 6:01 pm Post #5 - December 4th, 2017, 6:01 pm
    Ok folks--thanks for the quick responses! Hoping we'll have some protein entries as well though--since those are, typically, more popular. You don't have to decide on a soup at the time of sign up--just some time before the event.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #6 - December 4th, 2017, 6:05 pm
    Post #6 - December 4th, 2017, 6:05 pm Post #6 - December 4th, 2017, 6:05 pm
    I would like a spot I can do chicken or pork something or other, maybe clam chowder?
    Reading is a right. Censorship is not.
  • Post #7 - December 4th, 2017, 9:32 pm
    Post #7 - December 4th, 2017, 9:32 pm Post #7 - December 4th, 2017, 9:32 pm
    Food Nut wrote:I would like a spot I can do chicken or pork something or other, maybe clam chowder?

Sounds great!!
  • Post #8 - December 5th, 2017, 9:29 am
    Post #8 - December 5th, 2017, 9:29 am Post #8 - December 5th, 2017, 9:29 am
    When I said I could do this I didn’t look at the date, sadly I’ll be out of town on Feb. 21, so I’ll have to withdraw. I’m bummed, this is the first one I won’t be at since it started, post pics and recipes.
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
  • Post #9 - December 5th, 2017, 11:48 am
    Post #9 - December 5th, 2017, 11:48 am Post #9 - December 5th, 2017, 11:48 am
    So sorry you won't be able to join us mbh!!! It won't be the same without you...

And I did get an update from Martha at S&B that the theme this year is the same as last year--sanctuary soup--so soups reflecting your own heritage or honoring any of Chicago's immigrant communities.

If that means that anyone wants to change anything, please let me know. And we have 3 more spots to fill for soup and unlimited spots for desserts.
  • Post #10 - December 5th, 2017, 1:46 pm
    Post #10 - December 5th, 2017, 1:46 pm Post #10 - December 5th, 2017, 1:46 pm
    Hi - please put me down for soup, not sure what variety yet...
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #11 - December 5th, 2017, 2:17 pm
    Post #11 - December 5th, 2017, 2:17 pm Post #11 - December 5th, 2017, 2:17 pm
    Put me down for soup. I'm going to make bubby style chicken soup. I'm not sure if I will have noodles or matzo balls to go with.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #12 - December 5th, 2017, 4:54 pm
    Post #12 - December 5th, 2017, 4:54 pm Post #12 - December 5th, 2017, 4:54 pm
    Soup slots are filled (I miscounted earlier--there were only 2) but plenty of spots available for those wanting to bring dessert or bread. And of course, to EAT!

For those of you bringing soup, please make sure you are planning to arrive by 5:00 p.m. to set up and with your soup already warm. If you don't want to bring the full 3-4 gallons, you are welcome to let us know that and we can probably find another volunteer to bring half as well. You don't need to bring ladles or slow cookers--those are already there.

Let me know if you have other questions as the date gets closer. Thanks to everyone who volunteered!!
  • Post #13 - December 5th, 2017, 4:58 pm
    Post #13 - December 5th, 2017, 4:58 pm Post #13 - December 5th, 2017, 4:58 pm
    Wow! I see we were too late to sign up to bring soup. Guess we will have to plan to attend and EAT soup! But, if anyone needs to drop, COOPS and I would love to be on the waitlist for soup. You can add me to the list for Dessert. Will let you know what we will bring. Celia & Peter
    "A party without cake is really just a meeting" ~ Julia Child
    "There are only four great arts: music, painting, sculpture, and ornamental pastry." ~ Julia Child
    "Build a Longer Table, NOT a Wall..."
  • Post #14 - December 5th, 2017, 5:15 pm
    Post #14 - December 5th, 2017, 5:15 pm Post #14 - December 5th, 2017, 5:15 pm
    kalamazoogal wrote:Wow! I see we were too late to sign up to bring soup. Guess we will have to plan to attend and EAT soup! But, if anyone needs to drop, COOPS and I would love to be on the waitlist for soup. You can add me to the list for Dessert. Will let you know what we will bring. Celia & Peter

Sounds great kalamazoogal! The slots always go fast but this year was particularly speedy!!
  • Post #15 - December 5th, 2017, 10:00 pm
    Post #15 - December 5th, 2017, 10:00 pm Post #15 - December 5th, 2017, 10:00 pm
    kalamazoogal wrote:Wow! I see we were too late to sign up to bring soup. Guess we will have to plan to attend and EAT soup! But, if anyone needs to drop, COOPS and I would love to be on the waitlist for soup. You can add me to the list for Dessert. Will let you know what we will bring. Celia & Peter

I will make your day and give you my soup slot!

Have fun!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #16 - December 6th, 2017, 10:35 pm
    Post #16 - December 6th, 2017, 10:35 pm Post #16 - December 6th, 2017, 10:35 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:

I will make your day and give you my soup slot!

Have fun!

Regards,
    Cathy2

That is very generous of you Cathy. Coope (Peter) and I will try not to disappoint...
    Celia
    "There are only four great arts: music, painting, sculpture, and ornamental pastry." ~ Julia Child
  • Post #17 - December 7th, 2017, 8:28 am
    Post #17 - December 7th, 2017, 8:28 am Post #17 - December 7th, 2017, 8:28 am
    Made the switch. Cathy—hope you’re still planning to attend—did you want to volunteer for a dessert or bread entry?
  • Post #18 - December 7th, 2017, 9:40 am
    Post #18 - December 7th, 2017, 9:40 am Post #18 - December 7th, 2017, 9:40 am
    boudreaulicious wrote:Made the switch. Cathy—hope you’re still planning to attend—did you want to volunteer for a dessert or bread entry?

No, thank you.
    Cathy2

• Post #19 - December 10th, 2017, 10:50 am
    Post #19 - December 10th, 2017, 10:50 am Post #19 - December 10th, 2017, 10:50 am
    hi, i'm in for desserts. i might have a conflict and won't be able to stay, but i'll at the very least drop off sweets.
  • Post #20 - December 10th, 2017, 11:34 am
    Post #20 - December 10th, 2017, 11:34 am Post #20 - December 10th, 2017, 11:34 am
    Thanks so much, Joan!
  • Post #21 - December 28th, 2017, 5:05 pm
    Post #21 - December 28th, 2017, 5:05 pm Post #21 - December 28th, 2017, 5:05 pm
    I have a conflict. I'm leaving on a trip the following morning, so I'd like to give up my spot to another eager soup maker. That way, I can pack and get ready. If no one takes me up on the offer, I'll still make my soup, but I'm hoping that someone can fill my spot.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #22 - December 28th, 2017, 5:09 pm
    Post #22 - December 28th, 2017, 5:09 pm Post #22 - December 28th, 2017, 5:09 pm
    stevez wrote:I have a conflict. I'm leaving on a trip the following morning, so I'd like to give up my spot to another eager soup maker. That way, I can pack and get ready. If no one takes me up on the offer, I'll still make my soup, but I'm hoping that someone can fill my spot.

No problem Steve—I’m sure we’ll find a taker. Hope you’ll still be able to come out and eat!
  • Post #23 - December 28th, 2017, 5:49 pm
    Post #23 - December 28th, 2017, 5:49 pm Post #23 - December 28th, 2017, 5:49 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:No problem Steve—I’m sure we’ll find a taker. Hope you’ll still be able to come out and eat!

Yes. My plan is to be there, weather & authorities permitting. ;-)
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #24 - February 10th, 2018, 10:34 am
    Post #24 - February 10th, 2018, 10:34 am Post #24 - February 10th, 2018, 10:34 am
    You've heard of Italian Wedding Soup? Well, I'm thinking of Thai Wedding Soup . . . so some sort of meatballs (thinking pork and/or fish or some combo), either rice or noodles, some sort of greens perhaps, Thai flavors . . . you get the idea. I'll try not to make it a disaster.
  • Post #25 - February 10th, 2018, 10:58 am
    Post #25 - February 10th, 2018, 10:58 am Post #25 - February 10th, 2018, 10:58 am
    Would it be possible to update the first post to reflect who is coming and their entry? I'm a little confused. Thinking of making Chicken Soup as long as no one else will be doing that.
    Leek

American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #26 - February 10th, 2018, 3:37 pm
    Post #26 - February 10th, 2018, 3:37 pm Post #26 - February 10th, 2018, 3:37 pm
    SOUP update: Peter and I will be bringing a white bean and sweet potato soup (vegan).
  • Post #27 - February 10th, 2018, 3:58 pm
    Post #27 - February 10th, 2018, 3:58 pm Post #27 - February 10th, 2018, 3:58 pm
    Updated. Chicken soup is available. Don’t need any more vegan entries unless that’s what you really want to make.

Still need one more Soup Chef.
  • Post #28 - February 10th, 2018, 4:34 pm
    Post #28 - February 10th, 2018, 4:34 pm Post #28 - February 10th, 2018, 4:34 pm
    Great, thanks! Chicken soup it is.
    Leek

• Post #29 - February 10th, 2018, 6:11 pm
    Post #29 - February 10th, 2018, 6:11 pm Post #29 - February 10th, 2018, 6:11 pm
    I'm ready to commit: Kielbasa, potato, greens soup
    Reading is a right. Censorship is not.
  • Post #30 - February 17th, 2018, 1:27 pm
    Post #30 - February 17th, 2018, 1:27 pm Post #30 - February 17th, 2018, 1:27 pm
    Hi all,

Our S&B night is almost here (this Wed., 2/21!!!) and we still need one more soup entry. This is such a fun and worthwhile event, I hope we can meet our commitment and get one more LTHer to join us.

We also could use more desserts if anyone feels like contributing and doesn’t want to do soup.

For those of you already volunteering—a quick reminder/note on the details for the night:

A) Please arrive by 5:15 pm or earlier—it takes a few minutes to get your soup transferred into the crocks (provided by S&B, along with ladles) and ready to serve. The throngs are usually ready to descend on us at 5:30 sharp, so please try to arrive as early as you can.

B) Please bring your soup (3-4 gal) already warmed and in a container that will keep it warm if at all possible. The slow cookers aren’t great at heating up cold stuff, so plan accordingly.

C) garnishes and add-ins are welcome—just remember that you’re sharing serving space with your fellow soup chefs so try to be as compact as possible :)

D) bring friends, family, colleagues, etc. to help us raise as much money for our Non-Profit as we can!!

Hope to see lots of you on Wednesday!!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more