LTH Home

WTTW new show-Dishalicious

WTTW new show-Dishalicious
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • WTTW new show-Dishalicious

Post #1 - January 2nd, 2018, 10:05 pm
    Post #1 - January 2nd, 2018, 10:05 pm Post #1 - January 2nd, 2018, 10:05 pm
    You can be part of the studio audience and get some tastings. Three local chefs representing the topic cuisine cook live. Hosted by Sarah Grueneberg (Monteverde).

Tickets at WTTW site:
    http://interactive.wttw.com/events
    Not exactly sure how the payment works, but I think that you donate $150 for a WTTW membership in order to get a ticket as a thank you gift.

Italian-Jan 19, 2018
    Featuring Tony Mantuano (Spiaggia Restaurant), Giuseppe Tentori (GT Fish & Oyster) and Leigh Omilinsky (Nico Osteria)

Mexican-Jan 26, 2018, 6 pm
    Featuring Rick Bayless (Frontera Grill), Diana Dávila (Mi Tocaya Antojería) and Alfonso Sotelo (5 Rabanitos)

Korean-Feb 9, 2018, 6 pm
    Featuring Bill Kim (Belly Q), David Park (Hanbun) and Beverly Kim (Parachute Restaurant)
  • Post #2 - January 24th, 2018, 7:36 pm
    Post #2 - January 24th, 2018, 7:36 pm Post #2 - January 24th, 2018, 7:36 pm
    'Dishalicious' aims to change the menu for cooking shows with top Chicago chefs on WTTW

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... story.html
  • Post #3 - January 29th, 2018, 10:39 am
    Post #3 - January 29th, 2018, 10:39 am Post #3 - January 29th, 2018, 10:39 am
    Is anyone attending these events, let me know as I would love to come and see the show.
    Cookie Monster
  • Post #4 - May 12th, 2018, 1:17 pm
    Post #4 - May 12th, 2018, 1:17 pm Post #4 - May 12th, 2018, 1:17 pm
    Wow, is this show lame. I don't understand its purpose. The frenetic, disorganized atmosphere, combined with the sycophantic live audience, seem like the exact wrong combination for conveying useful information to home viewers. Yet, dishes are made and cooking methods are discussed in such a loose, disjointed and uninstructive manner that it makes one's head hurt.

The tone is beyond smarmy. And the graphics, or lack thereof, are seriously wanting. I don't think the names of the guests or their restaurants are ever shown during the episodes, not even during the closing credits. As far as I can tell, this information is only conveyed verbally instead of regularly, via grapics, throughout the episodes. Guests wear chef coats that only bear the name of the show, not their own names. Major blind spot.

I presume that the reason they keep showing the same 3 episodes over and over again is because there have only been 3 episodes taped so far. But that isn't making the show any more bearable. It'd be lovely if these were the only 3 episodes to ever be taped and aired but I'd be surprised if more weren't on their way. I'm guessing that some tv-industry mastermind has determined that this ham-handed beating-over-the-head method is the best way to promote the show. Ugh.

This is just awful, unnecessary television; the worst the medium has to offer . . . sloppy, unfocused and pandering. When I watch it I can't but think of that old axiom about Chicago being the world's biggest cow town. Just brutal.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #5 - May 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
    Post #5 - May 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm Post #5 - May 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
    Ronnie_Suburban said:
    I don't understand its purpose.

Agreed. It's hard to think of this show having a food-related purpose.

I watched one episode -- not really because I fell asleep before it was over. From what little I recall, the purpose seemed to be for several professional chefs to have a cooking party. It's fun for the participants, but not necessarily for onlookers.

The only other purpose I can think of is for the show's developers to make money. That will require finding an audience more interested in the social aspects of chefdom than in cooking.

The featured chefs are talented individuals, but this show doesn't do their skills justice.
    Where there’s smoke, there may be salmon.
  • Post #6 - May 12th, 2018, 4:19 pm
    Post #6 - May 12th, 2018, 4:19 pm Post #6 - May 12th, 2018, 4:19 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:This is just awful, unnecessary television; the worst the medium has to offer . . . sloppy, unfocused and pandering.
    =R=

But how were the portion sizes? :wink:

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #7 - May 13th, 2018, 2:19 pm
    Post #7 - May 13th, 2018, 2:19 pm Post #7 - May 13th, 2018, 2:19 pm
    George R wrote:Ronnie_Suburban said:
    I don't understand its purpose.

Agreed. It's hard to think of this show having a food-related purpose.

I watched one episode -- not really because I fell asleep before it was over. From what little I recall, the purpose seemed to be for several professional chefs to have a cooking party. It's fun for the participants, but not necessarily for onlookers.

The only other purpose I can think of is for the show's developers to make money. That will require finding an audience more interested in the social aspects of chefdom than in cooking.

The featured chefs are talented individuals, but this show doesn't do their skills justice.

George:

Thank you for articulating this far better than I did, or could have. It does seem like the main purpose of the show -- other than making money -- is for the host and guests to have a their own little cooking party. The problem is that for viewers, this is a major snooze-fest, That you fell asleep while watching it certainly indicates as much.

I think the creators of the show have a greatly over-inflated sense of how entertaining these folks are, especially in this format. Of course, I recognize most everyone who's appeared on the show and they are massively talented but frankly, the last place I want to see them is milling about purposelessly on the small screen.

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more