LTH Home

Small Household Food Exchange @ Kabul House, Sun June 10

Small Household Food Exchange @ Kabul House, Sun June 10
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Small Household Food Exchange @ Kabul House, Sun June 10

Post #1 - May 25th, 2018, 11:11 pm
    Post #1 - May 25th, 2018, 11:11 pm Post #1 - May 25th, 2018, 11:11 pm
    Great Neighborhood Restaurant Kabul House moved its emporium of Afghan cuisine to larger quarters in West Evanston in 2017. Although there have already been comments about the new location, many LTHers haven’t been to the bigger new digs yet, so we’ll exchange food there Sunday June 10 at 5:30 pm.

The (relatively) new Kabul House is easy to get to, for those a little further away. It’s a straight shot on Dempster St., 2.5 miles east of Edens/I-94. So if you're in Milwaukee, or Champaign, you have no excuse not to join us (well, if you're that far away, okay, maybe you have somewhat of an excuse).

The basics
    We’re always interested in fresh blood. Even if you can't exchange, please join us for dinner and conversation! But we encourage all to bring a few samples of the cuisine you enjoy at your home; it’s a great way for all of us to get to know each other better, discuss food and cooking techniques, and ultimately, later, have a meal at home that we might not have thought of making for ourselves.

What is the Small Household Food Exchange, you may ask.

Most importantly, it’s a gathering of like-minded folks at an interesting restaurant for a meal, taking advantage of the ordering power of a good number of people to share and sample a good number of menu items.

The Small Household Food Exchange started so that those of us in 1-2 person households who love to cook aren't stuck eating that big pot of chili for a whole week. Instead, we make 4-10 servings of one dish, and bring home 4-10 different dishes. Exchanging participants bring one pre-portioned serving of their food for every exchanger who has RSVP’d to come that month. The priority will be for entrees, meats, soups, salad, stews, pastas, grains, etc. (Check the Events Board, there’s a separate Dessert Exchange.)

The fine print
    Number in the group: We will cap attendance at each gathering at 12, and food exchange participants at 10, so that participants are never making more than 10 servings of anything. Couples can be counted as one serving, or two — if you come as a couple, please specify whether you're bringing one or two dishes to exchange.

There will be no restrictions on the food – we’re an omnivorous bunch. IF ANYONE HAS ANY ALLERGIES, PLEASE LET THE GROUP KNOW.

The containers/delivery system: Everyone in the group should use the GLADWARE 3 1/8 CUP PLASTIC CONTAINERS (7” x 7” square container with a blue lid). You’ll portion your food into those containers to bring and hand out at the gathering. You can freeze them or not depending on your schedule and when you make your food. If you use something else to deliver your food that month (Ziploc bags, plastic wrap, etc.) you should also return the empty containers from the last round so that everyone always has a stash of these containers for the exchange, and no one has to run out and buy more. Ideally, everyone will find a way to label their containers, describing the contents, so we don’t end up staring into our freezers at a field of blue-lidded containers and wondering what’s in each one (not that there’s anything wrong with the occasional surprise …).

Please RSVP your attendance by responding in this thread one week before the monthly gathering. If you're exchanging, please post what you're bringing at least three days before the gathering.

The organizer will monitor the thread to see what people are bringing. The organizer will also make reservations for the group at the restaurant where we will be gathering.

Hope to see you there!

Kabul House
    2424 Dempster Street
    Evanston, IL 60202
    (847) 674-3830

DINNER PARTICIPANTS
    nr706
    moetchandon
    Cathy2
    Pie Lady + 1
    Giovanna

EXCHANGE PARTICIPANTS (bring 3 servings)
    nr706 — lazy seafood Napoleon
    moetchandon — lamb kabobs
    Cathy2 — ćevapčići with lamb and beef
    Pie Lady — soup with lamb dumplings and beans
    Last edited by nr706 on June 9th, 2018, 3:20 pm, edited 10 times in total.
  • Post #2 - May 26th, 2018, 7:49 am
    Post #2 - May 26th, 2018, 7:49 am Post #2 - May 26th, 2018, 7:49 am
    Hi,

I plan to participate fully.

Thank you for organizing!

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #3 - May 27th, 2018, 2:56 pm
    Post #3 - May 27th, 2018, 2:56 pm Post #3 - May 27th, 2018, 2:56 pm
    Count me in for both! As there's pelmeni, that is. Is Kaddo Bourani in season? I'll just line up now.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #4 - May 27th, 2018, 3:40 pm
    Post #4 - May 27th, 2018, 3:40 pm Post #4 - May 27th, 2018, 3:40 pm
    Barring work/life/LordKnowsWhat issues, I'd love to join you for dinner.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #5 - May 28th, 2018, 3:32 pm
    Post #5 - May 28th, 2018, 3:32 pm Post #5 - May 28th, 2018, 3:32 pm
    Sorry, but we cannot meet on Sundays until November.
  • Post #6 - June 4th, 2018, 5:08 pm
    Post #6 - June 4th, 2018, 5:08 pm Post #6 - June 4th, 2018, 5:08 pm
    I’m making lamb kabobs
  • Post #7 - June 5th, 2018, 10:02 am
    Post #7 - June 5th, 2018, 10:02 am Post #7 - June 5th, 2018, 10:02 am
    moetchandon wrote:I’m making lamb kabobs

Did I mention I'm bringing a friend?

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #8 - June 5th, 2018, 10:03 am
    Post #8 - June 5th, 2018, 10:03 am Post #8 - June 5th, 2018, 10:03 am
    I'm making (I think) soup with (prefab, sorry) lamb dumplings and beans.

I write stuff.
  • Post #9 - June 5th, 2018, 6:30 pm
    Post #9 - June 5th, 2018, 6:30 pm Post #9 - June 5th, 2018, 6:30 pm
    Hi,

Since lamb is the theme, I am making cevapcici with half lamb and half beef.

I almost made stuffed grape leaves with lamb. I can do that another day.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #10 - June 10th, 2018, 2:01 pm
    Post #10 - June 10th, 2018, 2:01 pm Post #10 - June 10th, 2018, 2:01 pm
    I'm sorry, I will definitely be there on time! But I goofed on the start time and will have to skip out around 7pm. That shouldn't alter things too much, I don't think. Off to make my soup!

I write stuff.
  • Post #11 - June 10th, 2018, 3:06 pm
    Post #11 - June 10th, 2018, 3:06 pm Post #11 - June 10th, 2018, 3:06 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:I'm sorry, I will definitely be there on time!

You're sorry that you'll be on time?
  • Post #12 - June 11th, 2018, 10:36 am
    Post #12 - June 11th, 2018, 10:36 am Post #12 - June 11th, 2018, 10:36 am
    nr706 wrote:

Ha! I thought I edited that. Now I'm sorry that I
    a) didn't use a semicolon
    b) lied

I write stuff.
  • Post #13 - June 11th, 2018, 10:44 am
    Post #13 - June 11th, 2018, 10:44 am Post #13 - June 11th, 2018, 10:44 am
    Pie Lady wrote:
    nr706 wrote:

Ha! I thought I edited that. Now I'm sorry that I
    a) didn't use a semicolon
    b) lied

Ha ha! Is this a multiple-choice question? Now I'm wondering which part you lied about.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #14 - June 11th, 2018, 11:39 am
    Post #14 - June 11th, 2018, 11:39 am Post #14 - June 11th, 2018, 11:39 am
    Katie wrote:Ha ha! Is this a multiple-choice question? Now I'm wondering which part you lied about.

The "on time" part. 'Tis my failing.

I write stuff.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more