LTH Home

Small Household Exchange @ Qulinaria, 10/14, 6 PM

Small Household Exchange @ Qulinaria, 10/14, 6 PM
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Small Household Exchange @ Qulinaria, 10/14, 6 PM

Post #1 - September 25th, 2018, 7:23 am
    Post #1 - September 25th, 2018, 7:23 am Post #1 - September 25th, 2018, 7:23 am
    Qulinarnia is not your Great Grandmother's Polish food, which seemingly is what just off the plane Poles think of our local restaurants. My understanding this restaurant has contemporary Polish food offerings familiar to new immigrants.

I remember watching Jeffery Baer's Chicago Food episode. Dobra, aka Cookie Monster, was on camera talking about Chicago's Polish food. She said there are foods regularly served here, which are now unfamiliar in Poland. Food fashions and tastes have evolved, whereas here the food is reminiscent of another era.

The host of New Scandinavian Cooking was asked by an American, "How can you eat all those potato sausages?" He had never had one in his life and needed to do some research to understand what this person was talking about. It turns out in the USA, we were serving food from over 100 years ago during a period of food scarcity. This was known to the immigrants of that period who made it as a home nostalgia.

Qulinaria and Laikom's explorations of Polish bar foods like Zapiekanka are what Polish people in Poland are familiar with today.

Who knew a visit to some ethnic restaurants in the United States are food time capsules for visitors from the homeland. There is a dedicated thread to Qulinaria.

The basics
    We’re always interested in fresh blood. Even if you can't exchange, please join us for dinner and conversation! But we encourage all to bring a few samples of the cuisine you enjoy at your home; it’s a great way for all of us to get to know each other better, discuss food and cooking techniques, and ultimately, later, have a meal at home that we might not have thought of making for ourselves.

What is the Small Household Food Exchange, you may ask.

Most importantly, it’s a gathering of like-minded folks at an interesting restaurant for a meal, taking advantage of the ordering power of a good number of people to share and sample a good number of menu items.

The Small Household Food Exchange started so that those of us in 1-2 person households who love to cook aren't stuck eating that big pot of chili for a whole week. Instead, we make 4-10 servings of one dish, and bring home 4-10 different dishes. Exchanging participants bring one pre-portioned serving of their food for every exchanger who has RSVP’d to come that month. The priority will be for entrees, meats, soups, salad, stews, pastas, grains, etc. (Check the Events Board, there’s a separate Dessert Exchange.)

The fine print
    Number in the group: We will cap attendance at each gathering at 12, and food exchange participants at 10, so that participants are never making more than 10 servings of anything. Couples can be counted as one serving, or two — if you come as a couple, please specify whether you're bringing one or two dishes to exchange.

There will be no restrictions on the food – we’re an omnivorous bunch. IF ANYONE HAS ANY ALLERGIES, PLEASE LET THE GROUP KNOW.

The containers/delivery system: Everyone in the group should use the GLADWARE 3 1/8 CUP PLASTIC CONTAINERS (7” x 7” square container with a blue lid). You’ll portion your food into those containers to bring and hand out at the gathering. You can freeze them or not depending on your schedule and when you make your food. If you use something else to deliver your food that month (Ziploc bags, plastic wrap, etc.) you should also return the empty containers from the last round so that everyone always has a stash of these containers for the exchange, and no one has to run out and buy more. Ideally, everyone will find a way to label their containers, describing the contents, so we don’t end up staring into our freezers at a field of blue-lidded containers and wondering what’s in each one (not that there’s anything wrong with the occasional surprise …).

Please RSVP your attendance by responding in this thread one week before the monthly gathering. If you're exchanging, please post what you're bringing at least three days before the gathering.

The organizer will monitor the thread to see what people are bringing. The organizer will also make reservations for the group at the restaurant where we will be gathering.

Hope to see you there!

Sunday, October 14 @ 6 pm

Qulinarnia
    1730 W Golf Rd
    Mt Prospect, IL 60056
    (847) 981-0480
    http://qulinarnia.com/index.html

DINNER PARTICIPANTS
    Cathy2
    Nr706
    moetchandon
    GaryF

EXCHANGE PARTICIPANTS
    Cathy2 - turkey dinner, stuffing, cranberry sauce.
    Nr706 - mini-quiches with Moetchandon's sweetbread-beef-spinach sausage.
    moetchandon - beef and barley stew
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - September 25th, 2018, 7:31 am
    Post #2 - September 25th, 2018, 7:31 am Post #2 - September 25th, 2018, 7:31 am
    Hi,

I am likely to roast a turkey between now and then. If I do, you will effectively get a bit of Thanksgiving in your box.

I bought a new set of boxes, because these older lid's were not grasping as well anymore.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #3 - September 25th, 2018, 7:37 am
    Post #3 - September 25th, 2018, 7:37 am Post #3 - September 25th, 2018, 7:37 am
    In, bringing ?
  • Post #4 - September 25th, 2018, 7:03 pm
    Post #4 - September 25th, 2018, 7:03 pm Post #4 - September 25th, 2018, 7:03 pm
    Sorry - will be in North Carolina.
  • Post #5 - September 25th, 2018, 8:58 pm
    Post #5 - September 25th, 2018, 8:58 pm Post #5 - September 25th, 2018, 8:58 pm
    lougord99 wrote:Sorry - will be in North Carolina.

I bumped into your wife today at the library. Suggested she may want to come solo.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #6 - September 27th, 2018, 9:32 pm
    Post #6 - September 27th, 2018, 9:32 pm Post #6 - September 27th, 2018, 9:32 pm
    I’m in for both. Exchange tbd.
  • Post #7 - September 28th, 2018, 8:14 am
    Post #7 - September 28th, 2018, 8:14 am Post #7 - September 28th, 2018, 8:14 am
    Put me down as tentative. I'll try to nail a date/time with the peeps this weekend.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #8 - September 28th, 2018, 8:28 am
    Post #8 - September 28th, 2018, 8:28 am Post #8 - September 28th, 2018, 8:28 am
    Pie Lady wrote:Put me down as tentative. I'll try to nail a date/time with the peeps this weekend.

You can always stop by on the way home, do the exchange and move on.

It will be great to see you!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #9 - October 2nd, 2018, 9:25 am
    Post #9 - October 2nd, 2018, 9:25 am Post #9 - October 2nd, 2018, 9:25 am
    Oops! Bad calendaring on my part...
    I am definitely out. I (hopefully!) will be doing a writing challenge that weekend.

Sorry! November!
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #10 - October 8th, 2018, 10:16 am
    Post #10 - October 8th, 2018, 10:16 am Post #10 - October 8th, 2018, 10:16 am
    HI,

Just a reminder this is will be on Sunday evening.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #11 - October 8th, 2018, 11:15 am
    Post #11 - October 8th, 2018, 11:15 am Post #11 - October 8th, 2018, 11:15 am
    Bringing mini-quiches with Moetchandon's sweetbread-beef-spinach sausage.
  • Post #12 - October 8th, 2018, 12:37 pm
    Post #12 - October 8th, 2018, 12:37 pm Post #12 - October 8th, 2018, 12:37 pm
    I’m bringing a beef and barley stew.
  • Post #13 - October 11th, 2018, 12:53 pm
    Post #13 - October 11th, 2018, 12:53 pm Post #13 - October 11th, 2018, 12:53 pm
    Hi,

Thanksgiving in a box won't happen this month. I need the turkey for an unexpected family visit next week.

I may make Bobbie's Chicken from the Silver Palate cookbooks. It is a roast chicken braised in loads of onions. It is just about the only recipe I make from this book.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #14 - October 14th, 2018, 4:53 am
    Post #14 - October 14th, 2018, 4:53 am Post #14 - October 14th, 2018, 4:53 am
    Hi,

Cooking turkey for lunch, so guess what will be in your box?

If you have dark or white meat preferences, please let me know.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #15 - October 14th, 2018, 9:54 am
    Post #15 - October 14th, 2018, 9:54 am Post #15 - October 14th, 2018, 9:54 am
    If there is still time, I will join you tonight. I hadn't wanted to commit and then back out, but today looks clear.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #16 - October 14th, 2018, 9:56 am
    Post #16 - October 14th, 2018, 9:56 am Post #16 - October 14th, 2018, 9:56 am
    GAF wrote:If there is still time, I will join you tonight. I hadn't wanted to commit and then back out, but today looks clear.

You will be very welcome!

Cathy2
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more