LTH Holiday Party @ Aroy Thai - THU 12/6/2018

LTH Holiday Party @ Aroy Thai - THU 12/6/2018
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 3
  • LTH Holiday Party @ Aroy Thai - THU 12/6/2018

Post #1 - November 2nd, 2018, 1:50 pm
    Post #1 - November 2nd, 2018, 1:50 pm Post #1 - November 2nd, 2018, 1:50 pm
    Hi all,

We're super excited to be holding this year's holiday fest at GNR and long-time LTH favorite, Aroy Thai. T, Mama and the entire crew are excited to be hosting us. They're going to create a special meal for us that will combine many of their greatest hits, along with a few special items they're eager for us to try. The meal will be served partially as a buffet and partially family-style.

Ticket sales are now live and the cost is $45 per person (includes dinner, tax and tip). Beverages will be on your own tab and happily, this is also a byob event.

The buffet will not be vegetarian-friendly but a vegetarian option will be available to anyone who requests it in advance, and you can do that here on this thread. More details about the meal and the event can be found on the sign-up page.

Important Additional Details
    Once you pay in-full for your tix, we'll add your name(s) to the list of confirmed attendees. Capacity is limited to 44 people. Because of the limited space, we're also limiting sales to 2 tickets per LTH member. As much as we love meeting new people, especially at holiday time, this event is not the best place for that. It's also important to note that much of this meal will be spicy. Other than a few dishes that are not inherently spicy, the rest of the meal will likely rate at 4 on a 1-5 scale.

Gift Exchange
    The Gift Exchange has been a part of our yearly celebrations since we held our first such event at Klas. If you want, please bring a food-related raffle item. For the raffle/gift exchange, all gifts go into a pool and names are drawn. If you do bring a gift, you get a ticket and are guaranteed one gift in exchange. We’ve set the price for each gift at around $15. Please don’t wrap the gift — we like to see what people are winning before they win it — but please do put your name (real name or screen name or both) on the gift so that lucky recipients know who to thank.

Give Back
    Mamagotcha has graciously agreed to collect items for the Greater Chicago Food Depository. She’ll post a list here of the items that are most needed this time of year. Just bring them to the party and we’ll make sure they get to people who need them.

Any questions? If so, please feel free to post them here.

Thanks,

=R=
    for LTH

Aroy Thai
    4654 N Damen Ave
    Chicago, IL 60625
    (773) 275-8360
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #2 - November 2nd, 2018, 1:51 pm
    Post #2 - November 2nd, 2018, 1:51 pm Post #2 - November 2nd, 2018, 1:51 pm
    Attending (payments received):
    stevez
    ronnie_suburban +1
    RAB +1
    REB
    nr706
    MoetChandon
    JoelF
    SueF
    Mamagotcha
    Chouxfly
    CAthy2
    Santander +1

15/44

=R=
  • Post #3 - November 2nd, 2018, 11:47 pm
    Post #3 - November 2nd, 2018, 11:47 pm Post #3 - November 2nd, 2018, 11:47 pm
    Just a note that we're not trying to be coy or evasive about the menu details. It's just that there are a lot of favorites to choose from, too many to include them all. So, T and Mama are going to think it over, giving careful consideration to creating a representative, well-rounded menu that will perform well given our particular parameters.

You can pretty much count on Thai wings, grilled pork neck salad, som tum Thai, tom yum beef ball and tender, northern larb fried rice, a combination of sausages -- hopefully, to include a special one that's not on the menu -- and several more dishes that have been widely praised here. As the picture becomes clearer, we'll continue to post specifics.

In the meantime, here are a few pics from a very recent meal at Aroy . . .

Som Tum Thai

Grilled Pork Neck Salad

Thai Wings

Thanks,

=R=
    for LTH
  • Post #4 - November 3rd, 2018, 8:20 am
    Post #4 - November 3rd, 2018, 8:20 am Post #4 - November 3rd, 2018, 8:20 am
    I Accept and understand that Thai food is spicy.
    I would just like to add a voice for moderation,
    of any options that allow for adding additional spice to one's taste.
    :oops:
    wimpy wimpy spice girl :?
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #5 - November 3rd, 2018, 9:24 am
    Post #5 - November 3rd, 2018, 9:24 am Post #5 - November 3rd, 2018, 9:24 am
    irisarbor wrote:I Accept and understand that Thai food is spicy.
    I would just like to add a voice for moderation,
    of any options that allow for adding additional spice to one's taste.
    :oops:
    wimpy wimpy spice girl :?

I am in this club, too.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #6 - November 3rd, 2018, 9:51 am
    Post #6 - November 3rd, 2018, 9:51 am Post #6 - November 3rd, 2018, 9:51 am
    stevez
    ronnie_suburban +1
    RAB +1
    REB
    nr706
    MoetChandon
    JoelF
    SueF
    Mamagotcha
    Chouxfly
    CAthy2
    Santander +1
    irisarbor +1
    mbh
    BR
    diversedancer
    Sweet Willie
    Cynthia
    EvA
    Cabbagehead

24/44

=R=
  • Post #7 - November 3rd, 2018, 3:00 pm
    Post #7 - November 3rd, 2018, 3:00 pm Post #7 - November 3rd, 2018, 3:00 pm
    irisarbor wrote:I would just like to add a voice for moderation

Moderation is for monks.
    Cleanse your digestive tract with FIRE!!!
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #8 - November 3rd, 2018, 4:40 pm
    Post #8 - November 3rd, 2018, 4:40 pm Post #8 - November 3rd, 2018, 4:40 pm
    JoelF wrote:Moderation is for monks.

?
    Moderation and the monastic life are not two things I would think of as going together.

Moderation is for wimps, now, I can see that statement being made.

But then I guess I'd be among the wimps, along with Cathy2 and irisarbor.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #9 - November 3rd, 2018, 5:08 pm
    Post #9 - November 3rd, 2018, 5:08 pm Post #9 - November 3rd, 2018, 5:08 pm
    I wouldn’t dwell so much on spice levels, if I were you. It’s true that Mama is going to make the spicy dishes at an appropriate spice level, neither over the top spicy or dumbed down for the spice averse, but there are also going to be plenty of dishes that are not spicy at all. For example, of the dishes already mentioned in this post or the ticket purchases page, chicken wings, pork neck salad, the various sausages, cucumber salad, and tom yum beef ball soup are not spicy at all. If you encounter a dish that is too spicy for you, or one you don’t like, simply skip it (Personally, I loathe the bamboo curry dish at Aroy that so many LTHers love so much. My plan is to not eat any of that, should it turn up on the menu. No big deal). I can guarantee that there will be plenty to eat and you won’t go away hungry.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #10 - November 3rd, 2018, 5:53 pm
    Post #10 - November 3rd, 2018, 5:53 pm Post #10 - November 3rd, 2018, 5:53 pm
    stevez wrote:I wouldn’t dwell so much on spice levels, if I were you. It’s true that Mama is going to make the spicy dishes at an appropriate spice level, neither over the top spicy or dumbed down for the spice averse, but there are also going to be plenty of dishes that are not spicy at all. For example, of the dishes already mentioned in this post or the ticket purchases page, chicken wings, pork neck salad, the various sausages, cucumber salad, and tom yum beef ball soup are not spicy at all. If you encounter a dish that is too spicy for you, or one you don’t like, simply skip it (Personally, I loathe the bamboo curry dish at Aroy that so many LTHers love so much. My plan is to not eat any of that, should it turn up on the menu. No big deal). I can guarantee that there will be plenty to eat and you won’t go away hungry.

Well said, Steve. The only thing I might offer caution on is the Grilled Pork Neck Salad, as that could be a spicy one. But as you correctly pointed out, there will be plenty to eat for everyone there, even if some dishes are too spicy, too funky or too whatever for some of us.

Let's please not turn this into an unnecessary 'debate' about the merits, or lack thereof, about eating spicy Thai food.

And really, if you're not planning to attend the party (or considering attending), is there any reason at all to be posting on this thread?

Thanks,

=R=
    for LTH
  • Post #11 - November 4th, 2018, 10:25 pm
    Post #11 - November 4th, 2018, 10:25 pm Post #11 - November 4th, 2018, 10:25 pm
    Perhaps because I have a PayPal account, it didn't offer me the option of leaving a message -- but I use my real name on LTH, so I'm hoping PayPal makes it obvious where the money is coming from. Looking forward to celebrating another holiday with my LTH friends.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #12 - November 4th, 2018, 10:27 pm
    Post #12 - November 4th, 2018, 10:27 pm Post #12 - November 4th, 2018, 10:27 pm
    Cynthia wrote:Perhaps because I have a PayPal account, it didn't offer me the option of leaving a message -- but I use my real name on LTH, so I'm hoping PayPal makes it obvious where the money is coming from. Looking forward to celebrating another holiday with my LTH friends.

Yep, you're all set and I've added you to the list. Looking forward to seeing you!

=R=
  • Post #13 - November 8th, 2018, 7:51 pm
    Post #13 - November 8th, 2018, 7:51 pm Post #13 - November 8th, 2018, 7:51 pm
    Just sent my payment!
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #14 - November 8th, 2018, 9:07 pm
    Post #14 - November 8th, 2018, 9:07 pm Post #14 - November 8th, 2018, 9:07 pm
    stevez
    ronnie_suburban +1
    RAB +1
    REB
    nr706
    MoetChandon
    JoelF
    SueF
    Mamagotcha
    Chouxfly
    CAthy2
    Santander +1
    irisarbor +1
    mbh
    BR
    diversedancer
    Sweet Willie
    Cynthia
    EvA
    Cabbagehead
    Pie Lady
    lougord99 +1
    AlekH
    David Hammond
    Carolyn Berg

30/44

=R=
  • Post #15 - November 10th, 2018, 3:35 pm
    Post #15 - November 10th, 2018, 3:35 pm Post #15 - November 10th, 2018, 3:35 pm
    Is BYOB the only form of alcohol available or is it simply an option?
  • Post #16 - November 10th, 2018, 3:51 pm
    Post #16 - November 10th, 2018, 3:51 pm Post #16 - November 10th, 2018, 3:51 pm
    lougord99 wrote:Is BYOB the only form of alcohol available or is it simply an option?

It's the only option for alcohol. I'm pretty sure Aroy serves soft drinks, though.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #17 - November 12th, 2018, 12:31 am
    Post #17 - November 12th, 2018, 12:31 am Post #17 - November 12th, 2018, 12:31 am
    With over 3 weeks to go, we're just about 2/3 full and history suggests that we're moving toward a sold-out event.

I just want to remind everyone once again, especially those who are heat-averse, not to be overly concerned. We expect there to be plenty of dishes on the menu that are not innately spicy. And, we have no plans to arbitrarily amp up the heat on those dishes solely for the sake of doing so. But by the same token, dishes that are typically served spicy, will be served as such at this dinner. As I initially posted, 4/5 on the heat level is what you can expect on those select dishes.

Right off the top of my head, I can think of several savory dishes that are likely to be on the menu that are not innately spicy. And I know, for example, that dessert will not be spicy. :wink: So, some dishes will be spicy but there will certainly be plenty for everyone to eat. Just like at any communal meal, one can expect that not every single dish will be to every single attendee's liking.

stevez
    ronnie_suburban +1
    RAB +1
    REB
    nr706
    MoetChandon
    JoelF
    SueF
    Mamagotcha
    Chouxfly
    CAthy2
    Santander +1
    irisarbor +1
    mbh
    BR
    diversedancer
    Sweet Willie
    Cynthia
    EvA
    Cabbagehead
    Pie Lady
    lougord99 +1
    AlekH
    David Hammond
    Carolyn Berg
    The GP
    Mr. X
    boudreaulicious

33/44

Thanks,

=R=
  • Post #18 - November 14th, 2018, 9:43 am
    Post #18 - November 14th, 2018, 9:43 am Post #18 - November 14th, 2018, 9:43 am
    Looking forward to it! Just sent my money for me and Mr. X. I forgot to note that though.
    -Mary
  • Post #19 - November 14th, 2018, 9:55 am
    Post #19 - November 14th, 2018, 9:55 am Post #19 - November 14th, 2018, 9:55 am
    The GP wrote:Looking forward to it! Just sent my money for me and Mr. X. I forgot to note that though.

Excellent! Funds received, btw.

I have to say that I'm particularly excited about the byo aspect this year. Nothing pairs better with Thai food than sour beer and I've got a few large-format bottles set aside that I'm really looking forward to sharing. 22 days to go! :)

=R=
  • Post #20 - November 14th, 2018, 10:16 am
    Post #20 - November 14th, 2018, 10:16 am Post #20 - November 14th, 2018, 10:16 am
    I'm more of a wino. What type of wine should I look for?

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #21 - November 14th, 2018, 11:00 am
    Post #21 - November 14th, 2018, 11:00 am Post #21 - November 14th, 2018, 11:00 am
    Pie Lady wrote:I'm more of a wino. What type of wine should I look for?

Often recommended with Thai foods are Riesling and Gewürztraminer. Once upon a time, there was an active poster with the Thai ex-wife who always recommended those wines.

He also conducted a chicken-taco sampling to determine the best taqueria, but that was not as successful an idea.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #22 - November 14th, 2018, 12:10 pm
    Post #22 - November 14th, 2018, 12:10 pm Post #22 - November 14th, 2018, 12:10 pm

A well-balanced Riesling (not overly dry but not cloyingly sweet, either) would work. I think a similarly balanced sparkler would also be a good choice. Chablis, Chenin Blanc might also work but I think you'd have make a more specific choice there. You'll need some sweetness to complement the spice but something completely devoid of acidity probably won't be a great fit.

=R=
  • Post #23 - November 14th, 2018, 3:00 pm
    Post #23 - November 14th, 2018, 3:00 pm Post #23 - November 14th, 2018, 3:00 pm

I'll be bringing two or three types of mead, which, of course, I'll share. It's not wine, but at least one or two might go well with the food. (I'll bring beers, too.)
  • Post #24 - November 14th, 2018, 3:49 pm
    Post #24 - November 14th, 2018, 3:49 pm Post #24 - November 14th, 2018, 3:49 pm
    nr706 wrote:

I'll be bringing two or three types of mead, which, of course, I'll share. It's not wine, but at least one or two might go well with the food. (I'll bring beers, too.)

Thanks! I'll try to bring one of the above too, because a wino is as a wino does

I write stuff.
  • Post #25 - November 14th, 2018, 7:53 pm
    Post #25 - November 14th, 2018, 7:53 pm Post #25 - November 14th, 2018, 7:53 pm
    A little information about our annual food drive:

As in past years, all your donations will benefit the Greater Chicago Food Depository, the main food bank in our area. Every single dollar you donate will provide three meals to a hungry Chicagoan. The GCFD has special targeted programs to benefit families, children, seniors, and veterans... our most vulnerable citizens. It is truly a privilege and one of my very favorite personal holiday traditions to deliver your generous donations each year the morning following our party!

What do they need the most? Of course, the food bank will accept all non-perishable food donations, but the following highly nutritious items are especially appreciated:

• Canned tuna, chicken or salmon
    • Peanut butter
    • Meals in a can (soup, stew, chili)
    • Canned vegetables and fruit
    • Olive or canola oil
    • Spices (cinnamon, chili powder, cumin, spice blends)
    • Breakfast cereals
    • Healthy snacks (granola bars, nuts, dried fruit)

If possible, please avoid items packed in glass. We will have some boxes available to collect your kind donations at the party.

If you prefer to donate a check or cash, you can give them directly to me at the party (checks should be made out to the Greater Chicago Food Depository).

Thank you all for your kind support of our annual food drive!
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #26 - November 15th, 2018, 8:13 am
    Post #26 - November 15th, 2018, 8:13 am Post #26 - November 15th, 2018, 8:13 am
    Good morning everyone. Only 8 spots remain. If you're on the fence about this one, I think now's the time . . .

stevez
    ronnie_suburban +1
    RAB +1
    REB
    nr706
    MoetChandon
    JoelF
    SueF
    Mamagotcha
    Chouxfly
    CAthy2
    Santander +1
    irisarbor +1
    mbh
    BR
    diversedancer
    Sweet Willie
    Cynthia
    EvA
    Cabbagehead
    Pie Lady
    lougord99 +1
    AlekH
    David Hammond
    Carolyn Berg
    The GP
    Mr. X
    boudreaulicious
    Botd +1
    petite_gourmande

36/44

Thanks,

=R=
  • Post #27 - November 15th, 2018, 11:18 am
    Post #27 - November 15th, 2018, 11:18 am Post #27 - November 15th, 2018, 11:18 am
    As far as wines go-
    One particularly spectacular Gewurztraminer that we like is Trimbach,
    from Alsace, it's a little more pricey, but it is SO good.
    For reisling, there are lots, but a system a wine guy taught me that I'll share is to
    ASK
    Auslese
    spatlese
    Kabinett
    as you go up they get sweeter,
    so the A is the driest and K is the sweetest.
    So easy to remember :D
    I love the Spatlese with the Stag on the label , (I forget the name, but it has Bambi's father on the label and is German,
    but hey, that's me, and you might like a different one.
    A lot of folks like KungFu Girl reisling too,
    which might be a great pair for thai food :wink:
    Looking forward to seeing everyone.
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #28 - November 15th, 2018, 8:12 pm
    Post #28 - November 15th, 2018, 8:12 pm Post #28 - November 15th, 2018, 8:12 pm
    PayPal $ sent, so we're in for two--assuming there still are two to be in-for:

--mhl & labmom53
    "If I have dined better than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants...and got the waiter's attention." --Sir Isaac "Ready to order NOW" Newton

"You worry too much. Eat some bacon... What? No, I got no idea if it'll make you feel better, I just made too much bacon." --Justin Halpern's dad
  • Post #29 - November 15th, 2018, 11:12 pm
    Post #29 - November 15th, 2018, 11:12 pm Post #29 - November 15th, 2018, 11:12 pm
    mhl wrote:PayPal $ sent, so we're in for two--assuming there still are two to be in-for:

--mhl & labmom53

Yep, got it. 2 spots are now left.

stevez
    ronnie_suburban +1
    RAB +1
    REB
    nr706
    MoetChandon
    JoelF
    SueF
    Mamagotcha
    Chouxfly
    CAthy2
    Santander +1
    irisarbor +1
    mbh
    BR
    diversedancer
    Sweet Willie
    Cynthia
    EvA
    Cabbagehead
    Pie Lady
    lougord99 +1
    AlekH
    David Hammond
    Carolyn Berg
    The GP
    Mr. X
    boudreaulicious
    Botd +1
    petite_gourmande
    mhl
    labmom53
    Less Is More +1
    Ernest Christmas +1
    MarlaCollins'Husband
    Cookie Monster

44/44

Thanks,

=R=
  • Post #30 - November 19th, 2018, 8:12 am
    Post #30 - November 19th, 2018, 8:12 am Post #30 - November 19th, 2018, 8:12 am
    I just signed up but I forgot to put my name in the payment :(
    Cookie Monster

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more