LTH Home

Small Household Exchange - Super Sunday Edition Feb 3, 6 pm

Small Household Exchange - Super Sunday Edition Feb 3, 6 pm
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Small Household Exchange - Super Sunday Edition Feb 3, 6 pm

Post #1 - January 13th, 2019, 9:59 pm
    Post #1 - January 13th, 2019, 9:59 pm Post #1 - January 13th, 2019, 9:59 pm
    Since the core group is not particularly football oriented, we began last year to meet on Super Super Sunday (since the addition of Bowl is copyrighted). :D

We have tentatively decided to go to:

Egg-A-Holic (website)
    829 W Higgins Rd
    Schaumburg, IL 60195
    (847) 565-4105

If anyone who is participating wants to offer a suggestion on where to go, that is often difficult to get into and Super Super Sunday is a great day to get into hard to visit restaurants.

Note that we cap attendance at 12 with a maximum of 10 people exchanging dishes. Those who exchange dishes will have first priority, but they should post by January 28, to allow cooks to plan, shop and cook.

The basics
    We’re always interested in fresh blood. Even if you can't exchange, please join us for dinner and conversation! But we encourage all to bring a few samples of the cuisine you enjoy at your home; it’s a great way for all of us to get to know each other better, discuss food and cooking techniques, and ultimately, later, have a meal at home that we might not have thought of making for ourselves.

What is the Small Household Food Exchange, you may ask.

Most importantly, it’s a gathering of like-minded folks at an interesting restaurant for a meal, taking advantage of the ordering power of a good number of people to share and sample a good number of menu items.

The Small Household Food Exchange started so that those of us in 1-2 person households who love to cook aren't stuck eating that big pot of chili for a whole week. Instead, we make 4-10 servings of one dish, and bring home 4-10 different dishes. Exchanging participants bring one pre-portioned serving of their food for every exchanger who has RSVP’d to come that month. The priority will be for entrees, meats, soups, salad, stews, pastas, grains, etc. (Check the Events Board, there’s a separate Dessert Exchange.)

The fine print
    Number in the group: We will cap attendance at each gathering at 12, and food exchange participants at 10, so that participants are never making more than 10 servings of anything. Couples can be counted as one serving, or two — if you come as a couple, please specify whether you're bringing one or two dishes to exchange.

There will be no restrictions on the food – we’re an omnivorous bunch. IF ANYONE HAS ANY ALLERGIES, PLEASE LET THE GROUP KNOW.

The containers/delivery system: Everyone in the group should use the GLADWARE 3 1/8 CUP PLASTIC CONTAINERS (7” x 7” square container with a blue lid). You’ll portion your food into those containers to bring and hand out at the gathering. You can freeze them or not depending on your schedule and when you make your food. If you use something else to deliver your food that month (Ziploc bags, plastic wrap, etc.) you should also return the empty containers from the last round so that everyone always has a stash of these containers for the exchange, and no one has to run out and buy more. Ideally, everyone will find a way to label their containers, describing the contents, so we don’t end up staring into our freezers at a field of blue-lidded containers and wondering what’s in each one (not that there’s anything wrong with the occasional surprise …).

Please RSVP your attendance by responding in this thread one week before the monthly gathering. If you're exchanging, please post what you're bringing at least three days before the gathering.

The organizer will monitor the thread to see what people are bringing. The organizer will also make reservations for the group at the restaurant where we will be gathering.

Hope to see you there!

Dinner and Exchange:
    Cathy2: Jókai bableves.
    Pie Lady: Guava swirl cheesecake
    NR706: Cullen Skink, because he likes the name
    Moetchandon: Chicken Piccata
    DiverseDancer: Thai Green curry modified for the plant paradox level of healthy (probably the only noticeable change will be the the lack of eggplant, and not served with rice.) Made with BBQed (lightly smoked) turkey breast instead of chicken, because that is what I have. I will also bring my signature hummus, with one new (secret till Sunday) enhancement.

Dinner and sparkling company:
    GAF
    JeffS
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - January 13th, 2019, 10:29 pm
    Post #2 - January 13th, 2019, 10:29 pm Post #2 - January 13th, 2019, 10:29 pm
    Ha! Too funny. I accidentally marked 2/3 for today's small exchange and crossed it out when I realized my folly. Fate wants me to attend. (Put me down for both)
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #3 - January 14th, 2019, 2:51 am
    Post #3 - January 14th, 2019, 2:51 am Post #3 - January 14th, 2019, 2:51 am
    Both
  • Post #4 - January 14th, 2019, 3:44 am
    Post #4 - January 14th, 2019, 3:44 am Post #4 - January 14th, 2019, 3:44 am
    I'd like to sign up for non-food exchange, but hopefully will switch (assuming the 10 max hasn't been reached). And if I don't switch, I'll bring a sub-sized freebie for everybody without taking anything home.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #5 - January 14th, 2019, 10:29 am
    Post #5 - January 14th, 2019, 10:29 am Post #5 - January 14th, 2019, 10:29 am
    Hi,

After consulting the regulars, we are moving to the Schaumburg location:

829 W Higgins Rd
    Schaumburg, IL 60195

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #6 - January 14th, 2019, 10:31 am
    Post #6 - January 14th, 2019, 10:31 am Post #6 - January 14th, 2019, 10:31 am
    Works for me. I'll make out a shopping list for the post-event.

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #7 - January 14th, 2019, 11:45 am
    Post #7 - January 14th, 2019, 11:45 am Post #7 - January 14th, 2019, 11:45 am
    I’m in for dinner and exchange. Now, what to make?
  • Post #8 - January 14th, 2019, 8:55 pm
    Post #8 - January 14th, 2019, 8:55 pm Post #8 - January 14th, 2019, 8:55 pm
    I'm in for dinner on Super Sunday.

Go Bears. :oops:
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #9 - January 18th, 2019, 6:42 pm
    Post #9 - January 18th, 2019, 6:42 pm Post #9 - January 18th, 2019, 6:42 pm
    Hi,

After reading Binko's post, I am making Jókai bableves. Cause I just got to know what it tastes like.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #10 - January 18th, 2019, 7:26 pm
    Post #10 - January 18th, 2019, 7:26 pm Post #10 - January 18th, 2019, 7:26 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Since the core group is not particularly football oriented,

But everyone loves the commercials???
  • Post #11 - January 23rd, 2019, 5:20 pm
    Post #11 - January 23rd, 2019, 5:20 pm Post #11 - January 23rd, 2019, 5:20 pm
    Not even superbowl commercials for me.

Unfortunately ALL the social groups I go around in (well almost all) are also not football oriented, so there are THREE special non football parties going on that sunday. I'l leave one early and skip the one I would have gone to late in order to come here. The one I'm skipping is supposed to be dancing with pot luck, but in the past most people just ate and there wasn't much dancing, so no loss to skip it. I went to one superbowl party in my life. After 10 minutes the host turned the TV off (left the VCR recording it) as NONE of the guests were interested. And that wasn't even my circle of friends, I went with a friend, so that is how wide my distaste for football runs, even my friends don't have football loving friends.

I'm in for food exchange, but will drop out if it grows to 10 food exchangers inasmuch as I can't make more than 8 portions in a 4 hour period, and don't want to spend 8 hours or the cost of a second batch.

My food will be "plant paradox compliant". Think of EVERY rule you've heard of for healthy eating: gluten free, soy free, fructose free, low sugar and no refined, organic (well, when possible and some foods don't really matter, others are contaminated even if you buy organic), corn free, lactose (cow lactose anyway) free, low fat, only tree oils, just about all and a few more rules for Plant Paradox. Claimed to cure just about ALL allergies including auto immune diseases (allergic to one self) if done 100%. I don't follow that religiously, but I think the foods I am bringing are 100% compliant (given the limited organic nature).

baked egg foo young (in final refinements stage)
    confetti fries (probably, still under development)
    or PP hummus if I hit a wall on the fries.

Carey
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #12 - January 23rd, 2019, 10:15 pm
    Post #12 - January 23rd, 2019, 10:15 pm Post #12 - January 23rd, 2019, 10:15 pm
    DD,

I know you tend to be rather non-conformist, but please note the preferred containers:

The containers/delivery system: Everyone in the group should use the GLADWARE 3 1/8 CUP PLASTIC CONTAINERS (7” x 7” square container with a blue lid). You’ll portion your food into those containers to bring and hand out at the gathering.

If you are inclined not use them, then give us advance warning. What I make can be in a freezer ziploc bag. If you use an off brand container, expect people to give them back to at the next exchange. Non-conforming containers don't stack with the Gladware causing all sorts of petty inconveniences.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #13 - January 24th, 2019, 3:06 pm
    Post #13 - January 24th, 2019, 3:06 pm Post #13 - January 24th, 2019, 3:06 pm
    I'm going to make a valiant attempt at guava swirl cheesecake (in addition to the savory thing). I make no promises. Any interest? I'll bring you a slice even if you're not participating in the dinner exchange.
    Last edited by Pie Lady on January 24th, 2019, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I write stuff.
  • Post #14 - January 24th, 2019, 3:53 pm
    Post #14 - January 24th, 2019, 3:53 pm Post #14 - January 24th, 2019, 3:53 pm
    I'll be making Cullen Skink, just because I like the name.
  • Post #15 - January 24th, 2019, 7:01 pm
    Post #15 - January 24th, 2019, 7:01 pm Post #15 - January 24th, 2019, 7:01 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:DD,

I know you tend to be rather non-conformist, but please note the preferred containers:

The containers/delivery system: Everyone in the group should use the GLADWARE 3 1/8 CUP PLASTIC CONTAINERS (7” x 7” square container with a blue lid). You’ll portion your food into those containers to bring and hand out at the gathering.

Cathy2

DD,

I would take this to heart. The first time I exchanged, I obviously did not read close enough and brought in containers that were close, but different. The next month, I got all those containers back and it was suggested that I not use them again.

Also, Cathy did not mention, but I failed to label my containers with what was in them and there was some grumbling about that.
  • Post #16 - January 24th, 2019, 7:23 pm
    Post #16 - January 24th, 2019, 7:23 pm Post #16 - January 24th, 2019, 7:23 pm
    I still get flogged, but I've gotten used to it. It's all mindset, people.

I write stuff.
  • Post #17 - January 26th, 2019, 8:03 pm
    Post #17 - January 26th, 2019, 8:03 pm Post #17 - January 26th, 2019, 8:03 pm
    I’m making chicken piccata. Not too exciting but I have a taste for it. I’m making it Monday, so whoever has signed up for an exchange will get one. Last comers, I’m sorry.

Fancy labels are not a requirement. A piece of masking tape with something written on it is fine. It’s frustrating to pull something out of the freezer, thinking it’s one thing and it turns out not to be what you thought. Or better yet, not knowing what is even in the container once you’ve heated it up.

Jen, if you are offering a dessert, I won’t turn it down.
  • Post #18 - January 26th, 2019, 11:52 pm
    Post #18 - January 26th, 2019, 11:52 pm Post #18 - January 26th, 2019, 11:52 pm
    moetchandon wrote:I’m making chicken piccata. Not too exciting but I have a taste for it. I’m making it Monday, so whoever has signed up for an exchange will get one. Last comers, I’m sorry.

I like my lemon and capers.

Thank you!

I bought additional containers today, because I haven't eaten anything from last month or December. I just feel like cooking lately, though these will come in handy soon.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #19 - January 27th, 2019, 9:47 am
    Post #19 - January 27th, 2019, 9:47 am Post #19 - January 27th, 2019, 9:47 am
    moetchandon wrote:It’s frustrating to pull something out of the freezer, thinking it’s one thing and it turns out not to be what you thought. Or better yet, not knowing what is even in the container once you’ve heated it up.

Jen, if you are offering a dessert, I won’t turn it down.

I never thought about labels for that reason. I assume everyone just plows in that week. I'll print out a bunch for the rest of the year so I don't forget.

I will definitely bring cheesecake, assuming I don't utterly fail.

I write stuff.
  • Post #20 - January 30th, 2019, 2:32 pm
    Post #20 - January 30th, 2019, 2:32 pm Post #20 - January 30th, 2019, 2:32 pm
    May have to punt (switch to something different). Went to the store yesterday and no duck eggs (regular not balut) for the EFY. Confetti fries are wonderful to me, and a few others have liked them, but still not ready for prime time, I will make one more attempt to rectify, then give up for this year. Looks like I need 4 containers, right?.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #21 - February 1st, 2019, 1:20 pm
    Post #21 - February 1st, 2019, 1:20 pm Post #21 - February 1st, 2019, 1:20 pm
    I'll be there for dinner. Not sure about the sparkling at these temps.
  • Post #22 - February 1st, 2019, 1:26 pm
    Post #22 - February 1st, 2019, 1:26 pm Post #22 - February 1st, 2019, 1:26 pm
    Hi,

Made a reservation for seven at 6 pm under Cathy.

Anyone else wishes to join us for sparkling conversation, you are still welcome.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #23 - February 1st, 2019, 6:01 pm
    Post #23 - February 1st, 2019, 6:01 pm Post #23 - February 1st, 2019, 6:01 pm
    To food exchange people: Do not bring anything for me. I was unable to find Gladware anywhere and do not have time to look further, not even go somewhere if somebody could tell me "you can get them at Fred's in Schaumburg". I have spent too many hours searching for the gladware as well as duck eggs. If somebody can tell me where to get them for NEXT month, please do so. End of summary. Details follow, but please skip if you intend to make some snide remark about them.

I spent 3 plus hours Tuesday, first going where I got duck eggs before. Out of stock, will get shipment Thursday they said. Still, I looked at 5 other stores with no success (one of which I was sure would have them). Wednesday and Thursday too cold. I spent several more hours today, including the first store, which did not get a shipment in (maybe due to the cold?).

I was confident I had seen the Gladware containers at Walmart, so did not start looking weeks ago. I was wrong. I could not find Gladware brand anywhere. Only Ziplock, Rubbermaid and others I'm not familiar with so don't remember.

I promised to bring food, so I still plan to bring a one-way offering in no-return containers: Thai Green curry modified for the plant paradox level of healthy (probably the only noticeable change will be the the lack of eggplant,and not served with rice.) Made with BBQed (lightly smoked) turkey breast instead of chicken, because that is what I have.

I will also bring my signature hummus, with one new (secret till Sunday) enhancement.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #24 - February 3rd, 2019, 10:23 am
    Post #24 - February 3rd, 2019, 10:23 am Post #24 - February 3rd, 2019, 10:23 am
    I forgot to update with my dish! Ropa vieja. Hopefully with the cheesecake and mashed plantains but there's still time to screw up both.

I write stuff.
  • Post #25 - February 3rd, 2019, 10:24 am
    Post #25 - February 3rd, 2019, 10:24 am Post #25 - February 3rd, 2019, 10:24 am
    4 exchange boxes, yes?

I write stuff.
  • Post #26 - February 3rd, 2019, 10:32 am
    Post #26 - February 3rd, 2019, 10:32 am Post #26 - February 3rd, 2019, 10:32 am
    Pie Lady wrote:4 exchange boxes, yes?

That's what I am bringing. Worse comes to worse, I bring a container home.
    Cathy2

• Post #27 - February 3rd, 2019, 11:05 am
    Post #27 - February 3rd, 2019, 11:05 am Post #27 - February 3rd, 2019, 11:05 am
    diversedancer wrote:I was confident I had seen the Gladware containers at Walmart, so did not start looking weeks ago. I was wrong. I could not find Gladware brand anywhere. Only Ziplock, Rubbermaid and others I'm not familiar with so don't remember.

Carey,

My wife and I used to contribute to the food exchange before things became too complicated. But we still have Gladware containers. I will bring five Gladware containers and tops for you. We don't need them.

The duck eggs, you're on your own.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #28 - February 3rd, 2019, 11:21 am
    Post #28 - February 3rd, 2019, 11:21 am Post #28 - February 3rd, 2019, 11:21 am
    GAF wrote:
    diversedancer wrote:I was confident I had seen the Gladware containers at Walmart, so did not start looking weeks ago. I was wrong. I could not find Gladware brand anywhere. Only Ziplock, Rubbermaid and others I'm not familiar with so don't remember.

Carey,

My wife and I used to contribute to the food exchange before things became too complicated. But we still have Gladware containers. I will bring five Gladware containers and tops for you. We don't need them.

Thank you so much.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #29 - February 3rd, 2019, 4:23 pm
    Post #29 - February 3rd, 2019, 4:23 pm Post #29 - February 3rd, 2019, 4:23 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

Made a reservation for seven at 6 pm under Cathy.

Anyone else wishes to join us for sparkling conversation, you are still welcome.

Regards,
    Cathy2

And now we are ten!
    Cathy2

• Post #30 - February 3rd, 2019, 9:27 pm
    Post #30 - February 3rd, 2019, 9:27 pm Post #30 - February 3rd, 2019, 9:27 pm
    Hi,

One very solid reason for moving to Schaumburg: easier parking.

Ha! Ha! Ha! They share a parking lot with the new Patel Brothers location. The drivers one experiences on Devon Avenue are now there navigating a suburban parking lot.

The food was novel and quite good, so totally worthy of a visit whether in Chicago or Schaumburg.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more