LTH Home

Taste of Serbia

Taste of Serbia
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - August 31st, 2011, 2:33 pm
    Post #31 - August 31st, 2011, 2:33 pm Post #31 - August 31st, 2011, 2:33 pm
    Just updating this thread for 2011:

St. Basil's Taste of Serbia is this Saturday and Sunday, September 3 and 4, from 12 noon to 11 pm.

http://stbasilchurch.org/tos/

http://stbasilchurch.org/tos/wp-content ... 11menu.pdf

As Cathy noted above and at yesterday's LTH North lunch, the live music goes until 6 pm--after that, a DJ steps in.
    "Life is a combination of magic and pasta." -- Federico Fellini

"You're not going to like it in Chicago. The wind comes howling in from the lake. And there's practically no opera season at all--and the Lord only knows whether they've ever heard of lobster Newburg." --Charles Foster Kane, Citizen Kane.
  • Post #32 - July 23rd, 2012, 10:25 pm
    Post #32 - July 23rd, 2012, 10:25 pm Post #32 - July 23rd, 2012, 10:25 pm
    This event is always on Labor Day weekend: Saturday and Sunday at

St. Basil's Church (Serbian Orthodox)
    27450 North Bradley
    Lake Forest, IL 60045
    Tel: (847) 247-0077
    http://stbasilchurch.org/tos/

Noon – 11:00 P.M., Sat. & Sun., Sept. 1st and 2nd, Sunday Liturgy – 10:00 A.M.

I just saw these stats from 2010 event:

Last year our Champion Team of Volunteers:
    •Used over 2400 lbs. of charcoal
    •Served over 2000 guests
    •BBQ’d 43 pigs and lambs, over 1800 lbs
    •Served over 1000 bottles of Niksic pivos beers
    •Parked over 650 cars per day
    •Grilled over 700 lbs of cevap
    •Rolled over 600 sarmas
    •Set up over 520 chairs
    •And special thanks to Jelica Kostov our Head Chef
    •And then we cleaned it all up!
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #33 - August 28th, 2014, 11:22 pm
    Post #33 - August 28th, 2014, 11:22 pm Post #33 - August 28th, 2014, 11:22 pm
    Taste of Serbia

Labor Day Weekend
    Saturday, Aug. 30 & Sunday, Aug. 31
    Rain or Shine

Festival Hours:
    Saturday & Sunday, Noon to 11:00 pm
    Sunday liturgy at 9:30 am

Non stop music from:
    Sumadija
    Prazna Flasa
    Jedinstvo
    DJ Spaz

Kolo dancing & lessons
    Indoor & outdoor seating
    Kiddie play area
    Face painting
    Classic car display
    We can hardly wait to host you!
    Welcome to our home!

Directions to St. Basil
    Exit I-294 (94) at Route 60 West (Townline Road)
    Turn North (right) on Riverwoods (HINT: if you turn left, you go to Costco, instead)
    Continue North on Bradley Road
    Church is at corner of Bradley and Old School Road
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #34 - September 2nd, 2016, 1:13 pm
    Post #34 - September 2nd, 2016, 1:13 pm Post #34 - September 2nd, 2016, 1:13 pm
    Hi,

I will be at Taste of Serbia sometime on Saturday afternoon. I may get back there on Sunday, too.

It's been a few years since I could make it. I hope it is as good as I recall.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #35 - August 30th, 2018, 10:17 am
    Post #35 - August 30th, 2018, 10:17 am Post #35 - August 30th, 2018, 10:17 am
    Time for the wonderful Taste of Serbia. Saturday-Sunday September 1-2, 2018 at:

27450 North Bradley
    Lake Forest, IL 60045
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #36 - August 30th, 2018, 1:26 pm
    Post #36 - August 30th, 2018, 1:26 pm Post #36 - August 30th, 2018, 1:26 pm
    GAF wrote:Time for the wonderful Taste of Serbia. Saturday-Sunday September 1-2, 2018 at:

27450 North Bradley
    Lake Forest, IL 60045

There is a bridge out along this route. I don't if it affects access to this church via Rt 60 or Rt 176.

Bradley Road where it crosses the tollroad is closed for bridge repair. This does not affect people coming via route 60. If you arrive via 176, then you may want to go south on St. Mary's and east on W. Old School Road until it reaches Bradley.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #37 - September 3rd, 2018, 8:12 pm
    Post #37 - September 3rd, 2018, 8:12 pm Post #37 - September 3rd, 2018, 8:12 pm
    Hi,

More often than not, I am in South Dakota for the Labor Day weekend. I took a respite this year, because there are annual activities at home I like to do.

My Dad and I attended Taste of Serbia on Sunday evening. We ordered one pound of roasted lamb ($16) and a lamb dinner ($14) consisting of half-pound lamb, mashed potatoes, cabbage salad and two pieces of bread. When you collected your order, there were green onions or chopped onions available to eat with your food.

Since our joy is their lamb, we will dispense with the lamb dinner next time and simply begin with two pounds of lamb plus some Lepinje Serb bread.

For dessert, I bought Krempita ($4), whipped cream folded into custard between two thin layers of filo. For my Dad, I picked up a Palacinke ($3) crepe filled with chopped walnuts and rolled. For breakfast today, I made all the Palacinke we could eat filled with either cinnamon sugar or apricot jam. I happen to like these with rosehip jam, but didn't have any at home.

Before leaving, I bought another pound of roasted lamb.

We talked to some of the people there to learn their favorite Serbian restaurant is Skardalya in Brookfield. The only mention on LTH is from Panther in the Den.

I then shared with them my favorite at Gary, Indiana's Grant Avenue exit on 94 at the truck stop south of the interstate. It is a modest place in a retired truck trailer painted pale yellow. When I told it was the meeting ground of every Serb cross-country driver, they seemed surprised at my enthusiasm.

It will probably be a few more years before I get back to Taste of Serbia. Cannot wait!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #38 - September 3rd, 2018, 9:23 pm
    Post #38 - September 3rd, 2018, 9:23 pm Post #38 - September 3rd, 2018, 9:23 pm
    St. Nikola Serbian Orthodox Church
    4301 Prairie Ave, Brookfield

Has an annual Summer Serbian Fest with music, food and drinks.

We spotted a sign on Ogden many years ago and stopped by. Had a great time. Small local affair.

Have tried to go again, over the years wrote them emails, left phone messages. Might be too late in the season anyway.

I’ll stay on it. :)
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #39 - September 3rd, 2018, 9:29 pm
    Post #39 - September 3rd, 2018, 9:29 pm Post #39 - September 3rd, 2018, 9:29 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,
    We talked to some of the people there to learn their favorite Serbian restaurant is Skardalya in Brookfield. The only mention on LTH is from Panther in the Den.
    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Skadarliya
    9237 W Ogden Ave, Brookfield

It is the nicest Serbian restaurant of the half dozen in the area. Big menu but not all items are always available.

I think the Oak Park Boys did a mini crawl years ago?

Always worth the visit.
  • Post #40 - September 4th, 2018, 6:12 pm
    Post #40 - September 4th, 2018, 6:12 pm Post #40 - September 4th, 2018, 6:12 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:
    St. Nikola Serbian Orthodox Church

We spotted a sign on Ogden many years ago and stopped by. Had a great time. Small local affair.

Have tried to go again, over the years wrote them emails, left phone messages. Might be too late in the season anyway.

They were better at responding this year and just in time!

Hi John and Linda,

Our festival is next Saturday, 9/15, 10:00-2:00.

We really hope you can make it this year - please introduce yourselves to us - ask for Milan and Sue Popovic.

We look forward to meeting you!

Good evening and Have a blessed week!
  • Post #41 - September 15th, 2018, 3:00 pm
    Post #41 - September 15th, 2018, 3:00 pm Post #41 - September 15th, 2018, 3:00 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:St. Nikola Serbian Orthodox Church

AF867046-97DE-4EED-B6BB-42A7DD843438.jpeg
    ’Til 10 today
  • Post #42 - August 28th, 2019, 2:56 pm
    Post #42 - August 28th, 2019, 2:56 pm Post #42 - August 28th, 2019, 2:56 pm
    Taste of Serbia in Lake Forest is this weekend, August 31/September 1, 2019 at St. Basil's. Details upline.

27450 North Bradley
    Lake Forest, IL 60045
    https://www.stbasilchurch.org/taste_of_serbia

Directions to St. Basil
    Exit I-294 (94) at Route 60 West (Townline Road)
    Turn North (right) on Riverwoods (HINT: if you turn left, you go to Costco, instead)
    Continue North on Bradley Road
    Church is at corner of Bradley and Old School Road
    Last edited by GAF on August 28th, 2019, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #43 - August 28th, 2019, 5:16 pm
    Post #43 - August 28th, 2019, 5:16 pm Post #43 - August 28th, 2019, 5:16 pm
    I am missing it this year. My parents will go, because we really enjoy the food and atmosphere.
    Cathy2

• Post #44 - August 28th, 2019, 5:36 pm
    Post #44 - August 28th, 2019, 5:36 pm Post #44 - August 28th, 2019, 5:36 pm
    Don't let the absence of Cathy2 prevent you from attending. :mrgreen: It will still be great, although perhaps not as great, even though Cathy's parents will attend to make it special. :)
  • Post #45 - August 28th, 2019, 6:13 pm
    Post #45 - August 28th, 2019, 6:13 pm Post #45 - August 28th, 2019, 6:13 pm
    I've been to this before and really enjoyed it. Better food and more fun than a (I think) a Greek Orthodox church's festival nearby that takes places around this time too.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #46 - August 27th, 2020, 5:12 pm
    Post #46 - August 27th, 2020, 5:12 pm Post #46 - August 27th, 2020, 5:12 pm
    Taste of Serbia To Go
    Sunday September 6th
    12-5pm
    http://www.tasteofserbia.org
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #47 - August 27th, 2020, 5:33 pm
    Post #47 - August 27th, 2020, 5:33 pm Post #47 - August 27th, 2020, 5:33 pm
    Dave148 wrote:Taste of Serbia To Go
    Sunday September 6th
    12-5pm

Exactly what I want is what they are not offering:
    - Roast lamb
    - Krempita cream cake

I might order the burek and cheese pita.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #48 - August 27th, 2020, 8:48 pm
    Post #48 - August 27th, 2020, 8:48 pm Post #48 - August 27th, 2020, 8:48 pm
    Dave148 wrote:Taste of Serbia To Go
    Sunday September 6th
    12-5pm
    The address of where this place is, that you're supposed engage in their
    Curb side 'To Go' service only
    isn't displayed anywhere on the website. I checked everywhere. Truly indefensible.
  • Post #49 - August 27th, 2020, 8:53 pm
    Post #49 - August 27th, 2020, 8:53 pm Post #49 - August 27th, 2020, 8:53 pm
    polster wrote:Website with more info:
    http://www.stbasilchurch.org/index2.html

st basil church
    27450 N. Bradley Road, Mettawa/Lake Forest
    Tel: 847-247-0077
    Fax: 847-247-0088
    http://www.stbasilchurch.org/driving_directions.html

If you drive Route 60 toward Costco, instead of turning south toward Costco, you turn north toward a hotel and office buildings.

When you come to a T-intersection, turn east and follow the road. You will encounter St. Basil Orthodox Church.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #50 - August 28th, 2020, 8:53 am
    Post #50 - August 28th, 2020, 8:53 am Post #50 - August 28th, 2020, 8:53 am
    Cathy2 wrote:If you drive Route 60 toward Costco, instead of turning south toward Costco, you turn north toward a hotel and office buildings.

When you come to a T-intersection, turn east and follow the road. You will encounter St. Basil Orthodox Church.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Thank you, but I understood that the address was available on this website and it wasn't an issue for me. The problem is that they don't know where people are finding out about the event from, and it would take no work at all to include key information on their own website named after the event. It shows a lack of respect to make people search for details you should be providing.
  • Post #51 - August 28th, 2020, 8:58 am
    Post #51 - August 28th, 2020, 8:58 am Post #51 - August 28th, 2020, 8:58 am
    bweiny wrote:It shows a lack of respect to make people search for details you should be providing.

How many professional websites by big players make you hunt for their information? Unfortunately, too many.

I will call them this morning, because it is an oversight.

Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #52 - August 28th, 2020, 9:36 am
    Post #52 - August 28th, 2020, 9:36 am Post #52 - August 28th, 2020, 9:36 am
    Hi,

I called, left a message and they called back.

They will adjust the website to make the pick up location more prominent. They were relying on the cart to provide the information at checkout.

Thank you for highlighting this.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #53 - August 28th, 2020, 9:55 am
    Post #53 - August 28th, 2020, 9:55 am Post #53 - August 28th, 2020, 9:55 am
    Sure, it was very nice and generous of you to bring it to their attention. I just added something to the cart to see what happens and that does provide the address.

As someone who clicked out of interest towards homemade Serbian food, I didn't get that far because I wanted to know what I was getting myself into before picking specific menu items.
  • Post #54 - August 28th, 2020, 10:02 am
    Post #54 - August 28th, 2020, 10:02 am Post #54 - August 28th, 2020, 10:02 am
    bweiny wrote:As someone who clicked out of interest towards homemade Serbian food, I didn't get that far because I wanted to know what I was getting myself into before picking specific menu items.

The person I talked to realized this as we were talking.

While I know it is Lake Forest, 'Taste of Serbia' could be located just about anywhere.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #55 - August 28th, 2020, 12:09 pm
    Post #55 - August 28th, 2020, 12:09 pm Post #55 - August 28th, 2020, 12:09 pm
    I just saw a notice about this in the local paper yesterday and was going to post the address, but I see that's been cleared up.

As for a Taste of Serbia being located anywhere, that's true in the sense that there are several Serbian Orthodox churches in the Chicago area, but it's not for nothing that the Taste of Serbia is hosted by St Basil in Mettawa (beyond perhaps the fact that it was that church's idea to start the event). There is a Serbian Orthodox presence in Lake County, highlighted by, until a few years ago, the resting place of the only European monarch buried on US soil, the Serbian King Peter II of Yugoslavia, in nearby Libertyville, at the St Sava Monestary on Milwaukee Avenue, just a mile or two north of St Basil. St Sava being primarily a monestary and cemetery, however, I presume it is less well suited for a food festival than the grounds of St Basil.

I have really enjoyed St Basil's Taste of Serbia in previous years -- the food, the music, the dancing -- even moreso in all respects than a festival at a nearby Greek church, which surprised me. I am disappointed to hear they won't have the roast lamb this year but can understand why. I hope they are able to return to the normally attended Taste event next year.

If you have a chance to go to the next Taste, or to visit the church any time before then (services were suspended due to Covid-19 in March, and I haven't been able to find any info on services or building access yet being resumed in any fashion), it is really worth the time to step out of the hot August sun into the cool dark church and look around, particularly at the collection of beautifully painted icons. I have taken some pictures of the icons there that I can still picture clearly in my mind even though I haven't seen them for a few years.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #56 - August 28th, 2021, 5:31 pm
    Post #56 - August 28th, 2021, 5:31 pm Post #56 - August 28th, 2021, 5:31 pm
    Taste of Serbia 2021, typically held on Labor Day weekend, has been postponed until October, when it might be a "picnic." Hopefully there will be food available to purchase and take home.
  • Post #57 - August 28th, 2021, 7:44 pm
    Post #57 - August 28th, 2021, 7:44 pm Post #57 - August 28th, 2021, 7:44 pm
    GAF wrote:Taste of Serbia 2021, typically held on Labor Day weekend, has been postponed until October, when it might be a "picnic." Hopefully there will be food available to purchase and take home.

Thank you for keeping track, because I really do like this event. Last year, they did have a drive up to collect pre-ordered food over Labor Day weekend.

In October, I can likely make it, so I will keep my fingers crossed for roast lamb.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #58 - August 29th, 2021, 3:30 pm
    Post #58 - August 29th, 2021, 3:30 pm Post #58 - August 29th, 2021, 3:30 pm
    Thanks for this update. I'm looking forward to another Taste of Serbia. The website currently gives a tentative date of October 10th (a Sunday).
  • Post #59 - October 2nd, 2021, 10:43 am
    Post #59 - October 2nd, 2021, 10:43 am Post #59 - October 2nd, 2021, 10:43 am
    Katie wrote:Thanks for this update. I'm looking forward to another Taste of Serbia. The website currently gives a tentative date of October 10th (a Sunday).

It is indeed on the tenth, with this menu:

Cathy2

• Post #60 - October 2nd, 2021, 10:47 am
    Post #60 - October 2nd, 2021, 10:47 am Post #60 - October 2nd, 2021, 10:47 am
    Hi,

I have a call in to understand if I plan to eat there, do I need to order the food in advance.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more